ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Coyle awfully disappointing today

Think about it: DeBoer was killing it at Sioux Falls for 9 years. He had the chops back then.
Same thing with the guy at K-State, Kielman, from North Dakota State U.

Doesn’t matter if it was FCS. If you can coach, you can coach.
Sure DeBoer won several natty titles in football at Sioux Falls. Went 67 - 3 .

But it was lower level college football. Not D1

So you see, Tom Allen's 25-12 at Indianapolis Ben Davis during those same years matches up rather well.

When you say the “money is there” , you prove you haven’t a clue. Could the money be raised, I’m sure, but it will require institutional change In thought. One thing you are correct about, we need to decide whether we “want” to live in the “high rent district”, if not fine. If we do, it’s time to find and spend some money, otherwise the decision will be made for us. IU basketball only fans don’t think it will happen, but football pulls the monetary wagon, and we will be out if we choose not to compete.

Let’s put it this way: Dolson had no problem whatsoever putting together a big ass deal for Mr. Celtics if he was going to come for basketball. Revenue in 2022 was $166 million (13th in the country). Operating expenses were $130 million. Net gain $30 million.
Take 1/3 of that and you have $10 million to go towards a buyout.
Scott Dolson cut his teeth for all those years at the IU Foundation raising money for IU. Time for him to do what he is supposed to do.
You said he’s good at what he does and IU football keeps him awake at night.
MSU is just ahead of us in overall athletic revenue nationally. They are around $171 million.
They probably made as big a miscalculation with the Mel Tucker hire and then the outrageous deal after 2021. But yet…..they were prepared to pay that guy $9.5 million a year for a decade. That’s more than double what Allen makes.
IU has always been on the cheap with everything. They just refuse to play the game.
If money is that tight, why in God’s name did a 65 year old coach just get a fat $1 million raise for doing….anything? What the hell is he handing out cool raises like that to a guy that is not going anywhere, is not sought after and….what did he do to deserve that? Seriously?
You give your hardwood coach a raise for just showing up and then tell your football coach to check under his couch cushions to find his staff funding. It’s all coming home to roost and IU will be toast here in the future. I can tell you if IU doesn’t change course it is done for.

Last edited:
Sure DeBoer won several natty titles in football at Sioux Falls. Went 67 - 3 .

But it was lower level college football. Not D1

So you see, Tom Allen's 25-12 at Indianapolis Ben Davis during those same years matches up rather well.
And then there is the 2 wins 23 losses at UMass for Walt Bell. UMass fired him with three games left in the season.

Earlier this week he was questioned about play calling by the press and he explained that our offense is built around the run. This would be fine if Indiana could run the ball but they couldn't do it last year and they're not doing it this year.

Last edited:
Let’s put it this way: Dolson had no problem whatsoever putting together a big ass deal for Mr. Celtics if he was going to come for basketball. Revenue in 2022 was $166 million (13th in the country). Operating expenses were $130 million. Net gain $30 million.
Take 1/3 of that and you have $10 million to go towards a buyout.
Scott Dolson cut his teeth for all those years at the IU Foundation raising money for IU. Time for him to do what he is supposed to do.
You said he’s good at what he does and IU football keeps him awake at night.
MSU is just ahead of us in overall athletic revenue nationally. They are around $171 million.
They probably made as big a miscalculation with the Mel Tucker hire and then the outrageous deal after 2021. But yet…..they were prepared to pay that guy $9.5 million a year for a decade. That’s more than double what Allen makes.
IU has always been on the cheap with everything. They just refuse to play the game.
If money is that tight, why in God’s name did a 65 year old coach just get a fat $1 million raise for doing….anything? What the hell is he handing out cool raises like that to a guy that is not going anywhere, is not sought after and….what did he do to deserve that? Seriously?
You give your hardwood coach a raise for just showing up and then tell your football coach to check under his couch cushions to find his staff funding. It’s all coming home to roost and IU will be toast here in the future. I can tell you if IU doesn’t change course it is done for.
Don’t believe I said he is good at what he does, I said to those that say he doesn’t care about football, they are wrong. He does. It’s the same as the conspiracy theorists who think coaches don’t play the best QB, trust me , coaches play who they think gives them the best chance to win. Scott Dolson cares about football, but I don’t think he has the backing or the funding to change our fortunes, that requires institutional change.
As I said earlier, all we need is money, you brought up the contract of Mel Tucker at MSU, are you aware that 2 donors paid at least 1/3 of that contract ? Let me know the next time we get a $30M donation to IU football.

Don’t believe I said he is good at what he does, I said to those that say he doesn’t care about football, they are wrong. He does. It’s the same as the conspiracy theorists who think coaches don’t play the best QB, trust me , coaches play who they think gives them the best chance to win. Scott Dolson cares about football, but I don’t think he has the backing or the funding to change our fortunes, that requires institutional change.
As I said earlier, all we need is money, you brought up the contract of Mel Tucker at MSU, are you aware that 2 donors paid at least 1/3 of that contract ? Let me know the next time we get a $30M donation to IU football.
Dolson, for those of us that don't know him personally we must go by his actions and they aren't good for football. So he may think and stew about football he doesn't try very hard to make football successful.

And then there is the 2 wins 23 losses at UMass for Walt Bell. UMass fired him with three games left in the season.

Earlier this week he was questioned about play calling by the press and he explained that our offense is built around the run. This would be fine if Indiana could run the ball but they couldn't do it last year and they're not doing it this year.
That’s such a lazy, BS argument.

UMASS has been D1 since 2012…11+ years. They’ve won 22 games in that span. In 7 of their 11 full seasons they’ve won 0 or 1 game.

• Wow
Reactions: GolfHacker1
Agree on the TA Offensive philosophy being all over the map.
He didn’t keep Kevin Johns (now successful at Duke and previously other places) from the Wilson staff, opting for the more experienced, nearly retired Mike DeBoard, who was a UM-style run the ball type. Then goes all in on KD, who knew quite well that a not great run blocking line like IU, needed to get the ball out of the QB’s hands quick on the perimeter was the way to go. The Inexperienced Sheridan tried to be a mix of KD and his mentor DeBoard. 2020 was good passing-wise, not good at all running behind the Hiller line. Sheridan then in ‘21 had the misfortune of MP coming back too soon from injury, getting hurt again, JT getting hurt, having to play McCulley way too early and an OL and it’s coach, that continued to regress. How Hiller was kept at that point still boggles the mind!!
Which bring us to Bell, a guy who last year wanted to go quick and bomb Away with strong armed, inaccurate CB, only to change up late to the run, run, slow down due to necessity. And finally this year’s O, which after 4 games, IDK what to call it, other than bad. To surmise, that’s a whole lot of divergent offensive philosophies crammed into only 6+ seasons!!!

JFC this forum is becoming unreadable.

The same two or three posters reposting the same (half truth) crap over and over and over again:

"IU has no leadership"
"I know everyone and everything"
"IU will get kicked out of the BIG"
"IU is Mayberry"

Over and over and over

Just make your "point" and move along.

UMASS has been D1 since 2012…11+ years. They’ve won 22 games in that span. In 7 of their 11 full seasons they’ve won 0 or 1 game.

Not only that, but in that time frame, they have exactly one coach since being there that has won more then 2 games in their coaching career.

UMASS pays their head coaches less then what most schools pay coordinators.

Don Brown was 43-19 his first go around there... did he all of a sudden forget how to coach because in his second stint he's 1-11.

• Wow
JFC this forum is becoming unreadable.

The same two or three posters reposting the same (half truth) crap over and over and over again:

"IU has no leadership"
"I know everyone and everything"
"IU will get kicked out of the BIG"
"IU is Mayberry"

Over and over and over

For those of us who have followed the program closely for a number of years, these issues are far more evident than they are for the more casual fans. Poor leadership produces poor results.

All those bad AC decisions, Hiller surely the worst, were made by Tom Allen. The sloppy in-game miscues and undisciplined senseless penalties are by Tom Allen-coached players. Let’s quit pretending new bandaids will cure a broken neck. If the money can be raised to fire Allen, do it. If not, appeal to his presumed honor; point out he’s not doing the job he’s paid to do and if he would agree to a more reasonable buyout he could part with our thanks; otherwise announce that he will not under any circumstances be extended and in a year take away his power to recruit and in two years fire him.

Dolson, for those of us that don't know him personally we must go by his actions and they aren't good for football. So he may think and stew about football he doesn't try very hard to make football successful.
Apparently you haven‘t actually read anything I have said, the “actions“ required to make our football program successful include institutional change of thought toward our program (you surely realize Dolson has bosses right ?)and a huge pile of cash. NIL and facilities, in that order , rule the day , we aren’t strong in either, currently.

• Wow
All those bad AC decisions, Hiller surely the worst, were made by Tom Allen. The sloppy in-game miscues and undisciplined senseless penalties are by Tom Allen-coached players. Let’s quit pretending new bandaids will cure a broken neck. If the money can be raised to fire Allen, do it. If not, appeal to his presumed honor; point out he’s not doing the job he’s paid to do and if he would agree to a more reasonable buyout he could part with our thanks; otherwise announce that he will not under any circumstances be extended and in a year take away his power to recruit and in two years fire him.

If the administration does what you propose, good luck trying to get any competent coach to come here as long as the current administration is still at Indiana.

Whether fans like it or not, coaches talk, and if they know that a university won't give all the resources a coach needs and is basically sabotaging a coach, we would basically be scratching the bottom of the barrel with the next hire.

If the administration does what you propose, good luck trying to get any competent coach to come here as long as the current administration is still at Indiana.

Whether fans like it or not, coaches talk, and if they know that a university won't give all the resources a coach needs and is basically sabotaging a coach, we would basically be scratching the bottom of the barrel with the next hire.
Maybe, but this has been an excuse for IU retaining incompetent coaches for decades, and it would tell the fans and those who’ve given up supporting IU football that it’s being taken seriously. And it’s appropriate behavior for a school that needs to quickly improve its record. There are hundreds of experienced coaches better than Allen; some of them would leap at the chance to coach in the B18.

Maybe, but this has been an excuse for IU retaining incompetent coaches for decades, and it would tell the fans and those who’ve given up supporting IU football that it’s being taken seriously. And it’s appropriate behavior for a school that needs to quickly improve its record. There are hundreds of experienced coaches better than Allen; some of them would leap at the chance to coach in the B18.
Also the embarrassing part is a last resort. I hope we wouldn’t get that far but it could be a great inducement for him to be reasonable.

• Wow
Get rid of Bell then Dolson and coach Allen have to come up with the money for Mullen to be OC would be the way to go. Coach Allen needs an OC he can count on to do what coach Allen wants to do.
Yeah but..., does Coach Allen actually know what he wants to do on Offense... Other than his stating he wants to run the ball, (who doesn't)...; I'm not certain he has a clue as how to install a functioning Offense... It certainly doesn't seem like he does...

Since he's had more time to be with the Offense this Fall we appear to have gotten worse from his presence rather than better...

This isn't a shot at you V, you know I enjoy your posts and usually agree with about 99% of what you write, I'm just fed up with Tom Allen... He seems to be getting worse as a coach rather than better which is really strange; you'd think all that experience would finally pay off for him but I'm not seeing it...

Not for an incompetent administration that would torpedo their head coach who they would rather sabotage then just buy out the contract, in your make believe scenario.

• Wow

And yet Walt Bell accepted the job as head coach and was fired from that same job with three games to go in the season. No one is arguing that UMass is a terrible football program. I must be missing something because I just don't see what Tom Allen saw when making him his offensive coordinator.

It is one season as offensive coordinator at FSU he called the place for the last four games and what was described as one of the worst seasons of offensive football in Florida State history.

And now he is in charge of what he describes in his own words as "a run first offense". Again, I must be missing something.

Right now, we have neither in abundance (we’re average in the facilities game and way behind on NIL).. The hole we’re in on both feels deeper by the day.
Unfortunately, to the detriment of most college athletic programs, the genie is out of the bottle.

• Wow
The guy you're responding to is nothing more than an internet hack & according to another Forum I read, he's a poster that used to post under the username Ducati. I think that probably means that guy is one of the biggest losers of all time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
What has he done to demonstrate that he cares about football? Serious question because from the outside looking in, I'm not sure he's done one damn thing right.

• Wow
What has he done to demonstrate that he cares about football? Serious question because from the outside looking in, I'm not sure he's done one damn thing right.

Just off the top off my head, he's risen the money of our coaches, both Allen and all the assistant, including coordinators.

Whether it was given to the correct people is up for debate, but it shows support for the program which we didn't have before.

And yet he went on to say that DeBoer should have been made the head coach, among other less than complimentary things about the current coaching.

You're reading way to much into this.
Why do people take that route. No way was Deboar going to be the head coach. People need to come to grips that the timing and buyout was not in alignment. Sure buyout a coach that went back to back bowl games. Good freaking greaf. .

Just off the top off my head, he's risen the money of our coaches, both Allen and all the assistant, including coordinators.

Whether it was given to the correct people is up for debate, but it shows support for the program which we didn't have before.
If they don’t start dumping more big ten money in football I’ll not go to another game. They need to get with it.

If they don’t start dumping more big ten money in football I’ll not go to another game. They need to get with it.

100% agree.

To say Dolson shown he doesn't care about football is laughable. Without knowing all of what goes on behind the scenes, is it fair to say that Dolson has been fighting with one hand tied behind his back in terms of basketball knowing how Indiana thinks of themselves as a basketball school, which should be ass backwards.

I'm not sure that's a fair argument to make.

The guy you're responding to is nothing more than an internet hack & according to another Forum I read, he's a poster that used to post under the username Ducati. I think that probably means that guy is one one the biggest losers of all time.
Several trolls here, including one who posts reactions to himself under alternate user names, then comments on it. It’s kinda funny and sad, all at once.

• Sad

td75

Hall of Famer​

Gold Member

I believe in this team 100%. You really need to go back and examine the last two year's results/competitiveness against the conference opponents to gauge where we are and where we are going.

I also think Tom Allen has a proven recipe for Big Ten success that has escaped previous Indiana coaches. Trotting out a competent defense AND recruiting/landing 4* quarterbacks with high level skills, is a winning recipe in the game of football.

Come September, Indiana will have a QB room that features three 4* quarterbacks...You bet your ass this program is on the rise.

This was your commentary 5 days after Dolson gave CTA a million dollar a year raise, along with staff raises, seems you, and a lot of others screaming from the rooftop now, were pretty happy then. Winning changes everything, hindsight is 20/20, as they say. I will say now, as I felt then, our administration still only has one foot in (and barely one foot). Unless and until, our administration decides to compete in football at a high level, I fear coaching and AD changes will only have minimal effects.

100% agree.

To say Dolson shown he doesn't care about football is laughable. Without knowing all of what goes on behind the scenes, is it fair to say that Dolson has been fighting with one hand tied behind his back in terms of basketball knowing how Indiana thinks of themselves as a basketball school, which should be ass backwards.

I think it’s clear that he cares deeply. I think it’s more than fair to wonder if he, not unlike his predecessors, has the knowledge and expertise to take us to a higher level.

100% agree.

Maybe but the time is passed to really do something. Get that gawd awful press box off there. Get a real practice facility. Make football completely separate from other athletics. I’ve seen enough of these small incremental waiting for a donor to spend money crap. I agree with you mostly on Dolson but he’s the guy in charge at the end of the day. Get these facilities in order.

td75

Hall of Famer​

Gold Member

I believe in this team 100%. You really need to go back and examine the last two year's results/competitiveness against the conference opponents to gauge where we are and where we are going.

I also think Tom Allen has a proven recipe for Big Ten success that has escaped previous Indiana coaches. Trotting out a competent defense AND recruiting/landing 4* quarterbacks with high level skills, is a winning recipe in the game of football.

Come September, Indiana will have a QB room that features three 4* quarterbacks...You bet your ass this program is on the rise.

This was your commentary 5 days after Dolson gave CTA a million dollar a year raise, along with staff raises, seems you, and a lot of others screaming from the rooftop now, were pretty happy then. Winning changes everything, hindsight is 20/20, as they say. I will say now, as I felt then, our administration still only has one foot in (and barely one foot). Unless and until, our administration decides to compete in football at a high level, I fear coaching and AD changes will only have minimal effects.
Going to be hard to explain when that big ten contract kicks in 100%. They have plenty of money to get this done. Plus the attendance/ticket sales aren’t as bad as many claim. The administration needs to get freaking busy. They are in the most lucrative conference in every area. It’s insanity to keep making excuses.

• Wow
Maybe but the time is passed to really do something. Get that gawd awful press box off there. Get a real practice facility. Make football completely separate from other athletics. I’ve seen enough of these small incremental waiting for a donor to spend money crap. I agree with you mostly on Dolson but he’s the guy in charge at the end of the day. Get these facilities in order.

I'm with you on the facilities.

I've been calling for a new indoor facility for a while now. It's embarrassing when non power 5 schools have been indoor practice facilities then we do.

It’s long overdue. They have no excuse. None.
I think we’ve had a mentality to build something, tout it, admire it, and then believe the mission is complete. It’s a way of thinking that always keeps one foot on the brake no matter how fast we want to go (or think we want to go).

• Wow
And yet Walt Bell accepted the job as head coach and was fired from that same job with three games to go in the season. No one is arguing that UMass is a terrible football program. I must be missing something because I just don't see what Tom Allen saw when making him his offensive coordinator.

It is one season as offensive coordinator at FSU he called the place for the last four games and what was described as one of the worst seasons of offensive football in Florida State history.

And now he is in charge of what he describes in his own words as "a run first offense". Again, I must be missing something.
You’re right. You’re missing something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT