ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Coyle awfully disappointing today

I think we’ve had a mentality to build something, tout it, admire it, and then believe the mission is complete. It’s a way of thinking that always keeps one foot on the brake no matter how fast we want to go (or think we want to go).
Problem is the football program hasn’t done anything on its own. Those renovations included the other non revenue sports. It’s time to dump serious money into football.

Coaching is coaching, that is true, but at this level in today’s environment, it takes more than that. Unless , and until, our university decides to “really” commit to playing big boy football (and that means committing a lot of $$$$$$) we will always struggle. We have spent like $100 million over the last 10 years ( didn’t honestly look up the numbers, but I believe it is somewhere in that ballpark) and our administration is thumping their chests, lol. That isn’t near enough if you really want to compete. See Nebraska just announced a $450M investment, Kansas, yes Kansas $350M, and on and on, that is the type of investment needed if we want to really compete.
I defended Scott Dolson on here last week to those that say he doesn’t care about football, I know that isn’t true, however, what I’m not sure about is if he just doesn’t know how to fix it, or if his hands are tied. I believe it’s the latter. I do know we don’t have large donors stepping up to donate to football ( see the Ryan family just donated $480M to Northwestern toward their new stadium) Facilities, and NIL, and it only takes money, question is , where does it come from ?
Have known Pat Ryan for a number of years. After his family, his passions have been certain medically directed endeavors (The Shirley Ryan Mobility Lab, JDRF) and Northwestern. Most importantly, he’s been an enormous financial benefactor for each. Not sure we have someone with a combination of those resources and the willingness to actually commit them (at least to the level someone like PR does and will).

Have known Pat Ryan for a number of years. After his family, his passions have been certain medically directed endeavors (The Shirley Ryan Mobility Lab, JDRF) and Northwestern. Most importantly, he’s been an enormous financial benefactor for each. Not sure we have someone with a combination of those resources and the willingness to actually commit them (at least to the level someone like PR does and will).
Kind of my point all along, we have donors with big money, but they aren’t giving it to football

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
Apparently you haven‘t actually read anything I have said, the “actions“ required to make our football program successful include institutional change of thought toward our program (you surely realize Dolson has bosses right ?)and a huge pile of cash. NIL and facilities, in that order , rule the day , we aren’t strong in either, currently.
I thought Buckner was supposed to be a football guy

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
Kind of my point all along, we have donors with big money, but they aren’t giving it to football
Understood, and I was using the example of PR to validate your point. Our closest example was Bill Cook, and he wasn’t anywhere close to the scale of Ryan, nor was he ever focused on football. We need to essentially create an endowment for the program, but we also need some sort of funding mechanism for meaningful NIL. And all of that is just to get in the game. It’s a tall mountain for us to climb, and I don’t sense we want to or even believe we need to.

Not for an incompetent administration that would torpedo their head coach who they would rather sabotage then just buy out the contract, in your make believe scenario.
I keep reading that we can’t afford to buy him out for another year or two.
If the money can be raised to fire Allen, do it. If not, appeal to his presumed honor; point out he’s not doing the job he’s paid to do and if he would agree to a more reasonable buyout he could part with our thanks; otherwise announce that he will not under any circumstances be extended and in a year take away his power to recruit and in two years fire him.
To repeat; we have a problem, this is a solution.

In Jim Coyle's defense he came out firing the next day on Friday. He was interviewing Bob Kravitz and they were both talking about Walt bells performance as offensive coordinator being unacceptable.

But he also talked about what should have been an obvious problem that Indiana gave Tom Allen a buyout that they could possibly afford to pay. And he talked about the problem in college contracts in general that they tend to be long-term in nature with no minimum performance. And I don't recall much if any discussion over the last two years about the stupidity of that buyout provision. I imagine that was an unforced error by Scott Dolson. Even if Tom Allen was to give back a year of his contract he still will have taken Indiana to the cleaners.

I remember Steve Alford giving back a bit of his contract to UCLA when the performance was it up to par by either Alford's standards or UCLA's.

I keep reading that we can’t afford to buy him out for another year or two.

To repeat; we have a problem, this is a solution.
I have zero faith that IU would make a decent football hire. I mean, It’s Indiana!
We’ll spend a billion dollars on multiple buyouts before we drop a good chunk of cash on a proven coach.

Obviously I don’t mean we’re going to snag a coach from a top Power 5 school, but there has to be some MAC or other mid level conference school that has a coach who’s improved every year and/or consistently won for a couple years.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I have zero faith that IU would make a decent football hire. I mean, It’s Indiana!
We’ll spend a billion dollars on multiple buyouts before we drop a good chunk of cash on a proven coach.

Obviously I don’t mean we’re going to snag a coach from a top Power 5 school, but there has to be some MAC or other mid level conference school that has a coach who’s improved every year and/or consistently won for a couple years.
You mean like coach Hep? RIP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT