ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Mack

He's leaving for NIL $$$.

the standout freshman guard will look to a program in a bigger conference that embraces NIL payments, where he could likely make six figures.
his departure would raise more questions about Harvard’s reluctance to form an NIL collective to compensate some of the University’s star athletes, like Mack.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2024/3/27/malik-mack-transfer-portal/

Evidence that Fife's stance on NIL was a non-starter, if any was needed.

Reactions: IUgradman
I am not confident strong and capable guards have any desire to come to IU. My sense is IU is looked at as an option / fallback plan vs a top choice.
Not the top tier ones. Even if we have 6 million we need 7 or 8 players. Other schools if they have lets say 4 million may only need 2 players in the portal So they can throw just as much as the top guys as we can if not more. They could thrown 2 million at 2 guys each. We have to spread 6 million for 7 or 8 guys.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Not the top tier ones. Even if we have 6 million we need 7 or 8 players. Other schools if they have lets say 4 million may only need 2 players in the portal So they can throw just as much as the top guys as we can if not more. They could thrown 2 million at 2 guys each. We have to spread 6 million for 7 or 8 guys.
Schools will have to pay their players whether they are recruited from the portal or not. Otherwise, like Mack, they will leave for somewhere else that will pay them.

Where is this $6m figure coming from? Source or posted article somewhere that discloses the $6m would be great!

They don't have a well-organized NIL collective effort, and he could be getting 6 figures or more at another school.
Funny they messed this up. They don’t need a large amount of NIL for their sports programs, and they could easily raise it if their rich alumni checked their couch cushions. But they dropped the ball.

Funny they messed this up. They don’t need a large amount of NIL for their sports programs, and they could easily raise it if their rich alumni checked their couch cushions. But they dropped the ball.
Can’t imagine that Harvard doesn’t have a shit ton of wealthy alumni. Then again, maybe they don’t have that large sports fan base like IU.

Can’t imagine that Harvard doesn’t have a shit ton of wealthy alumni. Then again, maybe they don’t have that large sports fan base like IU.
They’re very rich like you said, largest university endowment by quite a bit. I’d guess no one had cared enough about sports to get a little bit of NIL going. All they have to do is call 10 alumni and ask if they want to beat Yale and if so send some small % of their $.

I don’t think they dropped the ball as much as they simply refused to pick it up in the first place.

Also, have to realize that the IVY does not give athletic scholarships. Now I have zero clue about this kid's academics or family need, but the average cost of attendance is over 83,000 a year. After aide, it drops to about 13,000 an average, so even at average they are paying 13,000 to play college hoops.

Not sure about Harvard but I have a cousin who coaches VB at another IVY, and according to her, they still follow the aide packages as if a normal student, in fact she has a few kids that are getting very little aide

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT