ADVERTISEMENT

Make Canada Great Again

It’s pretty remarkable how much immigration politics have shifted in the past several years.
Yes and no. The narrative always was its good for countries economies. However, that is a bullshit. Almost all immigration is a net negative for developed nations, with large safety nets. And it’s especially bad for the working class people living in the country.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Yes and no. The narrative always was its good for countries economies. However, that is a bullshit. Almost all immigration is a net negative for developed nations, with large safety nets. And it’s especially bad for the working class people living in the country.

A country either has immigration or emigration. Which one you think is worse?

You just said immigration. I think we should have a lot of immigration.... But it should be done a much more deliberate and intentional manner. Not the free for all we have now.
Not that the past is predictive of the future in all cases, but our most productive citizens are probably descended from people who came over in a free for all. I only say that to suggest that when it comes to the value of a particular immigrant, we have to consider future generations, as well.

Not that the past is predictive of the future in all cases, but our most productive citizens are probably descended from people who came over in a free for all. I only say that to suggest that when it comes to the value of a particular immigrant, we have to consider future generations, as well.

Sure. My great grandfather came over in a mass migration. Through Ellis Island.

In the US, immigrants consume less social welfare per capita than native born. Often, much less:

There is nothing that prevents us from changing our safety net laws to block immigrants from full access for 5 years (or any other number) to eliminate that concern. We could require 5 years of work before becoming a citizen.

I do not know when your family arrived but there is a damn good chance people did not want them here. Since its founding, this country has had a real love/hate relationship with immigrants.

In the US, immigrants consume less social welfare per capita than native born. Often, much less:

I appreciate the link and was curious how they came up with their claims. Immigrants consume less because the study includes SS/Medicare and their younger on average and/or not immediately available for those programs. The study also didn’t measure other social costs, chiefly education. The state of Indiana spends around 10,000 a year on each child for example.

You just said immigration. I think we should have a lot of immigration.... But it should be done a much more deliberate and intentional manner. Not the free for all we have now.
I agree and they should be from Northern Europe like it was before the immigration act of 1965. F LBJ.

You just said immigration.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at?
I think we should have a lot of immigration....
We most likely disagree on the amounts.
But it should be done a much more deliberate and intentional manner. Not the free for all we have now.
I agree, but don’t see how that would ever be accomplished. You would have to purposely target higher educated people, which wouldn’t fly in today’s political environment.

I appreciate the link and was curious how they came up with their claims. Immigrants consume less because the study includes SS/Medicare and their younger on average and/or not immediately available for those programs. The study also didn’t measure other social costs, chiefly education. The state of Indiana spends around 10,000 a year on each child for example.

We will pay $10,000 per child for native. We need children, they drive the economy more than anything. They provide future workforce.

As to Social Security, older people can immigrate. They just are not going to pay much or any in. So they will not get much, or any, out.

There is nothing that prevents us from changing our safety net laws to block immigrants from full access for 5 years (or any other number) to eliminate that concern. We could require 5 years of work before becoming a citizen.

I do not know when your family arrived but there is a damn good chance people did not want them here. Since its founding, this country has had a real love/hate relationship with immigrants.
As Uncle Milton (who was generally a vocal advocate of immigration) pointed out, the question of how beneficial immigration is to a society needs to be examined through a lens of their productivity balanced against their consumption of social welfare benefits.

There is a lot of data on this question and, to my reading of it, it’s a mixed bag and not nearly as clear cut as it was in the late 19th and early 20th centuries…when our welfare state wasn’t anywhere near the size it is now.

In the below video, he says that illegal immigration is better than legal immigration, because they don’t qualify for most public benefits.

I would say, anecdotally, that my observed experience is that these folks tend to have pretty robust work ethics.

Last edited:
As Uncle Milton (who was generally a vocal advocate of immigration) pointed out, the question of how beneficial immigration is to a society needs to be examined through a lens of their productivity balanced against their consumption of social welfare benefits.

There is a lot of data on this question and, to my reading of it, it’s a mixed bag and not nearly as clear cut as it was in the late 19th and early 20th centuries…when our welfare state wasn’t anywhere near the size it is now.

In the below video, he says that illegal immigration is better than legal immigration, because they don’t qualify for most public benefits.

I would say, anecdotally, that my observed experience is that these folks tend to have pretty robust work ethics.

Again, going to the security net, we can set rules. People coming in are given a green card and not allowed any safety net for 5 years before they can become citizens. That's just one way we can solve the issue. There are other ways. Some welfare, like TAMF, have a time maximum.

We need people at various skill levels. We know we are woefully short on migrant farm workers:

Those are not jobs Americans are lining up for. And to attract Americans, we are probably going to need to pay more since the average wage is now $18.00, and we have shortages. How much more?

The good history of America is that people come here and work hard in lower-skilled jobs but their kids move up the socio-economic level.

We talk about the money spent now to care for these refugees. If we let them work while their case is being heard, they wouldn't need as much public support.

I worked in a microbiology lab for the 2nd largest egg producer in the country.

Almost all production people were Hispanics. Guess what, they had identification and social security numbers. How else do you fill out an I-9 form. That would allow them access to benefits too.

How did they get them? They buy their identification from identity theives

I worked in a microbiology lab for the 2nd largest egg producer in the country.

Almost all production people were Hispanics. Guess what, they had identification and social security numbers. How else do you fill out an I-9 form. That would allow them access to benefits too.

How did they get them? They buy their identification from identity theives
We know that plants raided in 2019 never checked the I-9 information:

A PH Food employee, acting as a confidential informant, told Homeland Security investigators that the vast majority of the 240 employees at PH's plant in Morton and the 80 employees at A&B's plant in Pelahatchie didn't have proper work documents, including many Guatemalans.​
The informant said employees used their real names and made-up Social Security numbers to apply for jobs at PH and A&B. "The payroll companies, as well as PH Food Inc. and A&B Inc. do not verify the authenticity of their documents," the informant told investigators. Mississippi state law requires employers to check documents using E-Verify, an otherwise voluntary online federal system.​

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT