ADVERTISEMENT

Make America Healthy Again

Kazhoosier

Newcomer
Dec 19, 2017
Long time lurker who posts something every few years, but check the forum every day. I apologize if this has already been posted, but I could not find this anywhere on the forum. I just saw a video that may force me to vote for President Trump in November:

The video is RFK Jr. talking about the crisis we have in America with our health, that is driven greatly by our diet. If Trump really jumps on this issue and makes it a part of his campaign, I think I will finally be forced to vote for him. In 2016 I wrote in John Kasich. In 2020, I wrote in Ben Sasse. I would have voted for Tulsi Gabbard in 2020 if she had won the Democratic primary, but Sasse was far and away my favorite politician at that time.

I sincerely believe that the real issue with America's health crisis stems greatly (maybe mostly) from what we eat. There is just no other country in the world which has the obesity problem we have. And when I was growing up in Indiana, we did not have all of the allergies, chronic diseases and food sensitivities that seem so prevalent today. This is a real issue, and while I am conservative, I would wholeheartedly support regulations against toxic substances in our food. This is an issue that impacts all of us in terms of quality of life, longevity and out of control medical expenses, so I am not sure if there is a more important topic to address for our future - unless AI starts forcing us to eat toxic food in a few years. So maybe AI. And war in the Middle East. Ok, there are a lot of really important issues, but I could really get behind leaders who seriously start addressing our health by focusing on the food we eat.

This one video by RFK Jr. might push me to finally vote for Trump - but it would be a very begrudging vote. Although, the below video also is pushing me in that direction:

Long time lurker who posts something every few years, but check the forum every day. I apologize if this has already been posted, but I could not find this anywhere on the forum. I just saw a video that may force me to vote for President Trump in November:

The video is RFK Jr. talking about the crisis we have in America with our health, that is driven greatly by our diet. If Trump really jumps on this issue and makes it a part of his campaign, I think I will finally be forced to vote for him. In 2016 I wrote in John Kasich. In 2020, I wrote in Ben Sasse. I would have voted for Tulsi Gabbard in 2020 if she had won the Democratic primary, but Sasse was far and away my favorite politician at that time.

I sincerely believe that the real issue with America's health crisis stems greatly (maybe mostly) from what we eat. There is just no other country in the world which has the obesity problem we have. And when I was growing up in Indiana, we did not have all of the allergies, chronic diseases and food sensitivities that seem so prevalent today. This is a real issue, and while I am conservative, I would wholeheartedly support regulations against toxic substances in our food. This is an issue that impacts all of us in terms of quality of life, longevity and out of control medical expenses, so I am not sure if there is a more important topic to address for our future - unless AI starts forcing us to eat toxic food in a few years. So maybe AI. And war in the Middle East. Ok, there are a lot of really important issues, but I could really get behind leaders who seriously start addressing our health by focusing on the food we eat.

This one video by RFK Jr. might push me to finally vote for Trump - but it would be a very begrudging vote. Although, the below video also is pushing me in that direction:

I like him a lot. I’ve watched a bunch of his instagram stories etc. really like him. He’s nuts on some stuff but aren’t we all.

Reactions: ulrey
This has to be a troll.
that's him. he's constantly thinking about trying to do stuff. our food products are a total disaster. he's right. i'd rather hear about this shit than the incessant race-baiting garbage. this impacts healthcare costs, insurance, work productivity, government aid, etc. hell covid wouldn't have been as devastating. i love this stuff

this is great stuff - even if the details are muddy or a bit conflated/off

Reactions: ulrey
This has to be a troll.
No, not a troll. I've been lurking since the late 90's (I think I found Peegs.com when Jason Collier left IU), but I was living in Central Asia and internet was terrible there in the 90's so didn't post. I started an account when Clubjockey wrote about a student at Purdue trying to get Coach Knight fired, but lost my login info and had to start a new account. I probably haven't posted in 4 years here, so I could see why my post could be suspicious

I was not meaning to be a troll with this post - I sincerely believe this is an important issue and was interested in what people think about it. I have lived outside of the U.S. for about 17 years of my adult life and visited over 30 countries, so I have seen first hand how obese we are and the health effects from that aren't too hard to extrapolate. Plus, in the 70's I knew no one with a gluten issue and now half the people I know seem to have an issue with gluten - but not in Central Asia.

I tried to add some humor with the Kamala video (though, seriously, I could never vote for her) and maybe that detracted from my original point?? I did sincerely want to have a conversation about this topic, and I do think it is one of the biggest crises facing America today.

I may not vote for Trump still, but I will for the first time seriously consider it. Besides, Uncle Mark, Tulsi is supporting him, so...

that's him. he's constantly thinking about trying to do stuff. our food products are a total disaster. he's right. i'd rather hear about this shit than the incessant race-baiting garbage. this impacts healthcare costs, insurance, work productivity, government aid, etc. hell covid wouldn't have been as devastating. i love this stuff

this is great stuff - even if the details are muddy or a bit conflated/off
As you mention, the cascading effects of poor diet and food supply affect every corner of life and government.

From military recruitment shortages, to depression and anxiety skyrocketing to healthcare costs to low reproductive rates.

It’s probably the single thing if solved that would inure the greatest societal benefit. Alas, it’s not an easy thing to solve.

Start with the low hanging fruit. You can no longer use snap to purchase crap. School lunch programs can no longer serve crap.

As you mention, the cascading effects of poor diet and food supply affect every corner of life and government.

From military recruitment shortages, to depression and anxiety skyrocketing to healthcare costs to low reproductive rates.

It’s probably the single thing if solved that would inure the greatest societal benefit. Alas, it’s not an easy thing to solve.

Start with the low hanging fruit. You can no longer use snap to purchase crap. School lunch programs can no longer serve crap.
My daughter is in a great school district. Lunches are a joke

Michelle Obama took a verbal beating over that, "my kids won't eat what school serves." But it is what we need.

Thinking Donald Trump would give a shit about healthy eating is an unserious notion.

But if he did, your team team would change the 5 basic food groups to Spam, Velveeta, Lays, Fruit Roll Ups and Wonder Bread.

95bgyb.jpg

I agree with most of this. However your last paragraph isn't low hanging fruit really. Healthy food cost a lot more than crap. Its very perishable as opposed to crap food. The budget for that program would have to go up dramatically. Not something conservatives typically like. Also several healthy lunch programs have come up over the past several decades. The last one I recall was Michelle Obama's. She got blasted by politicians for trying take crap food out of schools for some reason.

What serious policies are the Democrats proposing on this issue?

A fat ass pres candidate that lives on MacDonald's, who has decreased regulations on food processing, with a base that generally looks like this - *see below* - because all they eat is shit food, is going to inform the party with vegan, vegetarian, tree hugging, anti GMO, anti-additive, pro fake meat, cow lives matter, leftists.. how to eat healthy?

If you're not a troll, you are one dense MF...

h_54644335-800x450.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
I agree with most of this. However your last paragraph isn't low hanging fruit really. Healthy food cost a lot more than crap. Its very perishable as opposed to crap food. The budget for that program would have to go up dramatically. Not something conservatives typically like. Also several healthy lunch programs have come up over the past several decades. The last one I recall was Michelle Obama's. She got blasted by politicians for trying take crap food out of schools for some reason.
That’s the thing people miss. It’s not that healthy food is “more expensive” as is often lazily thrown around.

It’s the perishability that makes it more expensive as you have to be very cognizant of what’s in your fridge/ pantry and when it will go bad. But you can get the same amount of calories in healthy and junk food for the same cost. And healthier frozen options are a plenty.

A fat ass pres candidate that lives on MacDonald's, who has decreased regulations on food processing, with a base that generally looks like this - *see below* - because all they eat is shit food, is going to inform the party with vegan, vegetarian, tree hugging, anti GMO, anti-additive, pro fake meat, cow lives matter, leftists.. how to eat healthy?

h_54644335-800x450.jpg
That guy in the red looks like he could bench three plates and would stomp your twink ass into dust.

• Haha
Reactions: jet812
I don’t know that that’s true re price. Bananas are the cheapest thing in the store. Cucumbers etc. head of lettuce.

Certified organic, non GMO, ethical blah blah blah labeled food costs alot more than junk, yes. And yes, the healthiest alternatives (fresh) are perishable. But when the diet is mostly processed junk (much of which isn't cheap on a per ounce/serving basis either) making healthier meals from better ingredients yet comparably priced to those junk ingredients is possible on a similar budget. Frozen/canned fruits and veggies are affordable and healthier options. Eggs/lean meats/nut butters/dried legumes/lentils root vegetables are better and as affordable as the processed frozen foods. Good grains, lentils and brown rice, veggie pastas whole grain pastas are similarly (or even cheaper) priced to the frozen and shelf stable processed pasta dishes.

I think the real challenge in getting people to eat a healthier diet is the convenience factor of junk food. Real, healthier food takes time to prepare. It take practice and it takes discipline. Many folks don't have the time or don't think they have the time.

Last edited:
Certified organic, non GMO, ethical blah blah blah labeled food costs alot more than junk, yes. And yes, the healthiest alternatives (fresh) are perishable. But when the diet is mostly processed junk (much of which isn't cheap on a per ounce/serving basis either) making healthier meals from better ingredients yet comparably priced to those junk ingredients is possible on a similar budget. Frozen/canned fruits and veggies are affordable and healthier afforable options. Eggs/lean meats/nut butters/dried legumes/lentils root vegetables are better and affordable than the processed frozen foods. Good grains, lentils and brown rice, veggie pastas whole grain pastas are similarly (or even cheaper) priced to the frozen and shelf stable processed pasta dishes.

I think the real challenge in getting people to eat a healthier diet is the convenience factor of junk food. Real, healthier food takes time to prepare. It take practice and it takes discipline. Many folks don't have the time or don't think they have the time.
They are too busy running all over hell’s half acre and won’t get off social media.

h_54644335-800x450.jpg

Dumb.

I think this is an excellent point. We discussed this during the health care debate. No doubt significant health care costs are tied to obesity and diabetes, both of which have ties to junk food. Big junk food is powerful. Our local Sam’s devotes a huge amount of space to junk food and that doesn’t include sugary drinks. Cutting back on junk food would do more good for more people than abortion laws, DEI, regs, or voter drives combined. All that being said, I don’t know if I want Big Government to get to the point of trying to regulate what people eat. Education effort? I can support that.

No, not a troll. I've been lurking since the late 90's (I think I found Peegs.com when Jason Collier left IU), but I was living in Central Asia and internet was terrible there in the 90's so didn't post. I started an account when Clubjockey wrote about a student at Purdue trying to get Coach Knight fired, but lost my login info and had to start a new account. I probably haven't posted in 4 years here, so I could see why my post could be suspicious

I was not meaning to be a troll with this post - I sincerely believe this is an important issue and was interested in what people think about it. I have lived outside of the U.S. for about 17 years of my adult life and visited over 30 countries, so I have seen first hand how obese we are and the health effects from that aren't too hard to extrapolate. Plus, in the 70's I knew no one with a gluten issue and now half the people I know seem to have an issue with gluten - but not in Central Asia.

I tried to add some humor with the Kamala video (though, seriously, I could never vote for her) and maybe that detracted from my original point?? I did sincerely want to have a conversation about this topic, and I do think it is one of the biggest crises facing America today.

I may not vote for Trump still, but I will for the first time seriously consider it. Besides, Uncle Mark, Tulsi is supporting him, so...
Welcome to the board. Unfortunately, there are a lot of liberals on here that like to tear down us conservatives. If you ever need training to overcome their ignorance and hatred, we have yearly meetings in Auburn.

I think this is an excellent point. We discussed this during the health care debate. No doubt significant health care costs are tied to obesity and diabetes, both of which have ties to junk food. Big junk food is powerful. Our local Sam’s devotes a huge amount of space to junk food and that doesn’t include sugary drinks. Cutting back on junk food would do more good for more people than abortion laws, DEI, regs, or voter drives combined. All that being said, I don’t know if I want Big Government to get to the point of trying to regulate what people eat. Education effort? I can support that.
Walking to check out with my minion is pure hell. The entire line is candy. Fat sizes. Little ones. All the sugar. Baby bottle pops. Nerd ropes. All of it. Right at his height

I don’t know that that’s true re price. Bananas are the cheapest thing in the store. Cucumbers etc. head of lettuce.
Breakfast tomorrow:

Pancakes
Hash browns
Fried eggs
Bacon
Maxwell house—black

I guarantee it’ll be cheaper than stopping at wherever and getting a latte (whatever the hell that is) and whatever they shipped in to sell with it.

Breakfast tomorrow:

Pancakes
Hash browns
Fried eggs
Bacon
Maxwell house—black

I guarantee it’ll be cheaper than stopping at wherever and getting a latte (whatever the hell that is) and whatever they shipped in to sell with it.
But that’s a horrible breakfast isn’t it? Not maxwell house. That’s like what ward cleaver would drink. But the rest is delicious but unhealthy- I think

• Haha
Reactions: hoosboot
But that’s a horrible breakfast isn’t it? Not maxwell house. That’s like what ward cleaver would drink. But the rest is delicious but unhealthy- I think
Well….I don’t remember all these food allergies and such when people were eating real food. Did you have a peanut allergy table at your school? And it’s not just peanut butter. Gluten allergies. On and on. But we also didn’t have to go to the nurses office to get our noon dose of Adderall.

Well….I don’t remember all these food allergies and such when people were eating real food. Did you have a peanut allergy table at your school? And it’s not just peanut butter. Gluten allergies. On and on. But we also didn’t have to go to the nurses office to get our noon dose of Adderall.
But didn’t people croak early from heart attacks etc. my daughter’s best friend is one of these tree nut allergy kids. We never had any of that.

I don’t eat breakfast. I get sbx. Then eat a couple power bars and snacks during the day.

All this shit is a moving target. Eggs are horrible. No they’re good. Fasting is the best. No actually it may not be

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT