ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Kane will be gone

Pazhoosier85

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2012
According to this tweet it looks like Kane to SA is pretty much a forgone conclusion. Do we have any internal candidates to replace him or does TA go outside. I don't believe any of the other D coaches have coordinator experience, could be wrong though.

Reactions: vesuvius13
He's a rising star. I wish he would've stayed one more year to guide our defense to a potential Big Ten Championship. With the returning talent next year, Indiana will be one of the favorites to win the BIG.

I also think Kane could've landed a better gig had he stayed just one more year. That said, Tom Allen is responsible for the emergence of the Hoosier defense. I'm 100% confident that Allen will either call the defense himself, or hire a big name to come in and piggyback on top of this year's success.

Not saying it don't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. Agents float this stuff all the time and then extract pay raises.
Trust me when I say there is a lot more to this than an agent trying to get his client a raise, there have been interviews (including Butch Jones & Jim McElwain) and Kane Wommack appears to be the choice. If so, good for him, we have a good replacement possibility on staff already, but whatever CTA decides the defense will be fine as long as CTA is here.

Not saying it don't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. Agents float this stuff all the time and then extract pay raises.

Hope you're right... I'm both selfish and greedy when it comes to the success of INDIANA FOOTBALL... I'd love to see this staff stick together for at least one and preferably at least two more years...

Last edited:
There are rumors on Peoples to Tulane too. Maybe Wommack goes after the D Line coach at Michigan State that he almost landed last year.

What is it about Allen that makes all the good people leave at their first opportunity?

/jk
Head coaching jobs, there are only so many out there, we also happen to have the misfortune of those HC jobs opening at schools where the coaches involved previously coached. If you want to talk about Ballou, who would turn down Alabama ? And Ballou did turn down NFL overtures before taking the Alabama job.

To be a coordinator, sure.

Deboer took Inge to be his DC.

Kane could take Hart or Heard to be his OC.
Maybe, but Inge was gone regardless, imo. His Special Teams cost us the Gator Bowl and they were bad the year before, too.

Maybe Hart, but I they'd get much higher jobs with just a lateral move to a high-level P5 program, particularly Heard. Maybe Shelby, too.

If we hae other assistants leave for S. Alabama, I'm wondering if there are other issues involved.

Maybe, but Inge was gone regardless, imo. His Special Teams cost us the Gator Bowl and they were bad the year before, too.

Maybe Hart, but I they'd get much higher jobs with just a lateral move to a high-level P5 program, particularly Heard. Maybe Shelby, too.

If we hae other assistants leave for S. Alabama, I'm wondering if there are other issues involved.
I think they would leave if offered a coordinator position although it would probably be for significantly less money.

I doubt power 5 programs are looking at them for coordinator positions with no experience in coordinating at all.

I think they would leave if offered a coordinator position although it would probably be for significantly less money.

I doubt power 5 programs are looking at them for coordinator positions with no experience in coordinating at all.
Looks like Dwike Wilson , our director of player personnel, is going with CKW and will have an on field coaching job.

Perhaps Neal Neathery, current Asst HC at EMU. He and Allen both coached under Chris Creighton at Wabash College... Neathery was DC there and has pretty much followed Creighton everywhere as DC (Drake and EMU). He was also DC at UTSA under Larry Coker. Southern connections. Midwest experience. He is a student of the 4-2-5. Big LEO type guy.

Thoughts on UL Lafayette DC Patrick Toney? Only 30, another rising star in the profession. They’ve had an excellent secondary this year. Had lots of success everywhere else he’s been (Sam Houston, UTSA) as well.

coordinators leave to be head coaches , even if it's a smaller school. Position coaches leave to be coordinators , that's the next step up in the pecking order. The only thing coach Allen did was pick good coaches for his staff . There will be people outside the IU program looking at IU as a great place to coach . Even though I hate to see coaches leave , I believe coach will fill those position with a very good replacements . Remember when we lost our OC last year , well how did that work out , pretty darn good . We lost our strength coach , and replaced him with one of the best strength coaches from the NFL. Good luck to those who move on , look forward to seeing who takes their place .
Looks like Dwike Wilson , our director of player personnel, is going with CKW and will have an on field coaching job.

Last edited:
coordinators leave to be head coaches , even if it's a smaller school. Position coaches leave to be coordinators , that's the next step up in the pecking order. The only thing coach Allen did was pick good coaches for his staff . There will be people outside the IU program looking at IU as a great place to coach . Even though I hate to see coaches leave , I believe coach will fill those position with a very good replacements . Remember when we lost our OC last year , well how did that work out , pretty darn good . We lost our strength coach , and replaced him with one of the best strength coaches from the NFL. Good luck to those who move on , look forward to seeing takes their place .
You’re preaching to the choir

coordinators leave to be head coaches , even if it's a smaller school. Position coaches leave to be coordinators , that's the next step up in the pecking order. The only thing coach Allen did was pick good coaches for his staff . There will be people outside the IU program looking at IU as a great place to coach . Even though I hate to see coaches leave , I believe coach will fill those position with a very good replacements . Remember when we lost our OC last year , well how did that work out , pretty darn good . We lost our strength coach , and replaced him with one of the best strength coaches from the NFL. Good luck to those who move on , look forward to seeing who takes their place .

what does this mean? This guy is going to Ohio St to join Kevin Wilson?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT