ADVERTISEMENT

Longshoreman strike

When your job is one that is almost certainly going to be displaced by technology in the next 10 years or so, is the best strategy to use all your current leverage to get what you can while you can (knowing doing so may only serve to hasten that fate)…or to backpedal in an effort to delay it?

Honestly, if I’m this guy, I’m probably favoring the first option too. I doubt that any concessions they make would actually delay the transition. The incentives to make it are so large that nothing the stevies do or don’t do seems likely to have any effect.

No one in this labor dispute is acting honorably
I wonder how many people that guy has had anchored to the bottom of the ocean. Mercy. Sleeve of tats. Big gold chain. Sometimes you forget what men look like and sound like when you post on here. Board full of pencil necks and paper pushers

Last edited:
I wonder how many people that guy has had anchored to the bottom of the ocean. Mercy. Sleeve of tats. Big gold chain. Sometimes you forget what men look and sound like when you post on here. Board full of pencil necks and paper pushers
That guy have a standing invite to Auburn?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

No one in this labor dispute is acting honorably
If I were President I would drag this asshole into a room and tell him to end the strike or I will make it my job to get funding in our next spending appropriation to upgrade our ports since his strike constitutes a national security threat.

Take the ****ing deal on the table or I help put half your workforce out of a job. And with all his threats, I would have the IRS crawling up his ass and have the FBI investigating for potential racketeering.

That guy have a standing invite to Auburn?
Hearing him talk about Covid times and his workers. Can you imagine the disconnect with that guy and stay at home Pete.

Sorry Harry. Had a tiff with my hubby this morning. I got his latte order wrong hahahaha. Maternity leave isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!!! Hahahaha.

If I were President I would drag this asshole into a room and tell him to end the strike or I will make it my job to get funding in our next spending appropriation to upgrade our ports since his strike constitutes a national security threat.

Take the ****ing deal on the table or I help put half your workforce out of a job. And with all his threats, I would have the IRS crawling up his ass and have the FBI investigating for potential racketeering.

With Biden not running again, he may actually have the political latitude to do something like this. The Teamsters letter would indicate some level of expectation of him intervening.

But Harris can't do this.

Use the IRS and FBI to threaten people? Have the President come down hard on one side of a labor negotiation between private parties?

No thanks.

When your job is one that is almost certainly going to be displaced by technology in the next 10 years or so, is the best strategy to use all your current leverage to get what you can while you can (knowing doing so may only serve to hasten that fate)…or to backpedal in an effort to delay it?

Honestly, if I’m this guy, I’m probably favoring the first option too. I doubt that any concessions they make would actually delay the transition. The incentives to make it are so large that nothing the stevies do or don’t do seems likely to have any effect.

Their real strike reason isn't over pay. They want in the contract that all automation is banned from the docks.

Use the IRS and FBI to threaten people? Have the President come down hard on one side of a labor negotiation between private parties?

No thanks.
He can use the Taft-Hartley Act to order an 80 day cooling off period. Doing this would suspend the economic pressures until after the election. And while Kamala Harris would probably give him a huge hug for doing it, she could also distance herself from it to minimize the political impact to her.

Their real strike reason isn't over pay. They want in the contract that all automation is banned from the docks.
Ah, the classic Luddite grievance. LOL...that's never going to happen. And, even if it somehow did, any company bound to that pledge would just be displaced by somebody else who isn't.

They're pissing in the wind here.

I get their concerns but manual workers can't hold off against automation for much longer.

It's 2024. People need to develop skills in areas/fields where workers can't easily be replaced by automation and/or AI.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Just read the strike will have a $4.5 billion a day impact on the US economy. Bad news for retail, construction, small businesses, etc.
The Biden Administration is promoting this strike by staying neutral!

Just read the strike will have a $4.5 billion a day impact on the US economy. Bad news for retail, construction, small businesses, etc.
Oh, it'll be devastating.

Most stoppages are akin to having a localized health issue in, say, your lower back. Shutting down the ports is akin to being strangled. And the ILU knows it.

I'd be pretty surprised if Biden doesn't invoke the TH cooling off period. The ILU's political leverage is considerably higher before the election than it is after the election.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT