ADVERTISEMENT

Long-term care insurance

When she gets bad enough, I'll move her in with us and put a hospital bed in the spare bedroom and hire someone to come in and clean and do whatever needs to be done.

I was able to delay putting my mom in the nursing home by a year or more by bringing in home health care people. At the time it was priced reasonably and the gals who came to the house did a good job of looking after her, to the extent she let them and that time permitted. I had to keep increasing the number of days and hours they were there until it got to where she needed more help than could be provided.

Reactions: BradStevens
@BradStevens wrote
I don’t think those with dementia are unaware they are living in squalid conditions. Dementia doesn’t produce an illusory perception of living in Shangri-La. From my experience, they know and are aware of being in uncomfortable or restricted surroundings but are horribly confused about where they are and why this is happening to them. Plus, they almost always have glimpses and short periods of memory where it’s clear they are sad at what is happening to them with the disease.

Our experiences are all going to be different and will vary widely. In my experience, there was no "squalor" and the care was kind and competent. In my dad's case I didn't get a chance to vet the facility ahead of time, but they were fine. In my mom's case, I did quite a bit of research. My wife went with me to some, and she said the one we eventually chose passed the "pee test" -- it didn't smell like old piss.

(I had to reformat your post in my reply, it was bunged up in the original.)

Last edited:
The dirty little secret is that "hospice care" is, for all intents and purposes, assisted death. The family (and perhaps the patient) need to understand going in that they're greasing the skids and that the alternative is extended suffering (and expense). I would recommend using it at the first indication that it would be appropriate. I waited too long with my dad, but when we decided it was time he was able to die comfortably and peacefully. The hospice care people know what they're doing and know what the results will be, and will cooperate with hastening death if they know it's called for and that everyone is on board.

Doesn't one need an underlying soon to be fatal condition to go into hospice, not just "I do not want to live like this"?

You could sell lottery tickets for the privilege of pulling the plug. Help your family out!
jWjOqnf.png

Doesn't one need an underlying soon to be fatal condition to go into hospice, not just "I do not want to live like this"?

Not really. The aim is "palliative care", which is meant to reduce pain and suffering, for some value of suffering. The treatment is essentially the administration of powerful sedatives and/or pain meds (like morphine)... and we know getting the dose right can be tricky <wink> <wink>.

My mom is 95 and is doing well, and lives in a seniors apartment and can take care of herself. Now. But I know that won't last forever. She has zero money and gets by on a small SS payments and what I supplement. When she gets bad enough, I'll move her in with us and put a hospital bed in the spare bedroom and hire someone to come in and clean and do whatever needs to be done.

My long term health plan is to be good to my daughter and hope she's good to me.
My outlaws did that. Moved a hospital bed in for the great granddad. Had a nurse come in. Died in his own home

Reactions: DANC
@BradStevens wrote
I don’t think those with dementia are unaware they are living in squalid conditions. Dementia doesn’t produce an illusory perception of living in Shangri-La. From my experience, they know and are aware of being in uncomfortable or restricted surroundings but are horribly confused about where they are and why this is happening to them. Plus, they almost always have glimpses and short periods of memory where it’s clear they are sad at what is happening to them with the disease.

Our experiences are all going to be different and will vary widely. In my experience, there was no squalor" and the care was kind and competent. In my dad's case I didn't get a chance to vet the facility ahead of time, but they were fine. In my mom's case, I did quite a bit of research. My wife went with me to some, and she said the one we eventually chose passed the "pee test" -- it didn't smell like old piss.

(I had to reformat your post in my reply, it was bunged up in the original.)
Thank you. Tried but couldn't fix it.

My mom is 95 and is doing well, and lives in a seniors apartment and can take care of herself. Now. But I know that won't last forever. She has zero money and gets by on a small SS payments and what I supplement. When she gets bad enough, I'll move her in with us and put a hospital bed in the spare bedroom and hire someone to come in and clean and do whatever needs to be done.

My long term health plan is to be good to my daughter and hope she's good to me.

DANC, admire your outlook and plan for your Mother.

My Son and Daughter are going through some tough times in their own lives.

However they insist on helping their Mom and Dad with such things as household and yard tasks.

This role reversal just reminds me about having to face a growing dependency . A gradual change which to this point, I just cannot accept gracefully.

As Betty White once said, "Getting old isn't for sissies".

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
I hear what you're saying, but assisted suicide is the first step to chaos.

Unscrupulous people will take advantage of this and even the government will eventually get involved.

It would become its own industry and the advertising will make it seem very attractive to anyone with depression.

"Don't be a burden to your family. We'll take care of your estate and make sure your family gets all they deserve."
Possibly. But it’s never been an available option. I’m not saying it a a “flip the switch” kinda situation. But we should think about where we are developmentally. We have so much control over our health now than our ancestors even 200 years ago. And they were 200 years ahead of their ancestors too.

Watching somebody rot away because of disease; becoming something that resembles nothing of the person they were before. It’s a devastating thing. And as an individual if I know that path lies ahead and where I have anything to provide to my family, why can’t I decide where on that path I get to just say “I’ve had enough”.

Really tough. But not providing the option tells us nothing how attitudes would change over time.

Reactions: UncleMark
This is sad.

'**** religion '

Really, Lars?

Our church is 153 years old. Many of the members have attended literally their entire lives. We have a number of second and third generation families.

They endure age-related issues of health, isolation and dependence through faith. Our faith community works through visitation, communication and other support: Religion!

Suicide is murder. One cannot seek forgiveness after destroying oneself.
Apologies for being indirect Mas. No disrespect intended.

I just think we should, as a homogenous society, consider viewpoints and options beyond those that underpin our way of life.

We already have it…they just call it hospice
Yeah I get it. Been through it twice.

But the Three months leading up to that point when the inertia of not only the patient but the medicine is to just “stay alive”.

Again, I do t think everybody would just suddenly off themselves. And I’d be concerned about any new thing being commercialized.

I’m very open to seeing where providing the option would take us.

My outlaws did that. Moved a hospital bed in for the great granddad. Had a nurse come in. Died in his own home
We've already done that for my mother-in-law, who had brain cancer. It was inconvenient, but she died surrounded by family.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I just think we should, as a homogenous society, consider viewpoints and options beyond those that underpin our way of life.
But we're not a homogenous society. Far from it.

DANC, admire your outlook and plan for your Mother.

My Son and Daughter are going through some tough times in their own lives.

However they insist on helping their Mom and Dad with such things as household and yard tasks.

This role reversal just reminds me about having to face a growing dependency . A gradual change which to this point, I just cannot accept gracefully.

As Betty White once said, "Getting old isn't for sissies".
Everyone thinks they're independent, but family and friends are important - more important than we know.

We moved to Charlotte to be near our grandkids because we want them to grow up around relatives. I realize not everyone can do that. Many people can't get along with their own relatives, but I've made it a point to maintain good relationships with my family, despite it being a challenge.

We have people in our over 55 community that rarely see their children and even more rarely their grandchildren. I just can't imagine living that way.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
Possibly. But it’s never been an available option. I’m not saying it a a “flip the switch” kinda situation. But we should think about where we are developmentally. We have so much control over our health now than our ancestors even 200 years ago. And they were 200 years ahead of their ancestors too.

Watching somebody rot away because of disease; becoming something that resembles nothing of the person they were before. It’s a devastating thing. And as an individual if I know that path lies ahead and where I have anything to provide to my family, why can’t I decide where on that path I get to just say “I’ve had enough”.

Really tough. But not providing the option tells us nothing how attitudes would change over time.
Unfortunately, when you legalize it, it's opening Pandora's Box.

Reactions: larsIU

I didn't take it as disrespectful to me personally. My perspective is skewed because I see first hand the value and 'good works' that can result from participating in our church community. One must be involved and participate. It takes commitment.

One can live in fear, or live in hope.

One can't do both.

Reactions: DANC and larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT