ADVERTISEMENT

Long game for no OT’s

Harry Hondo

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 24, 2015
Going on two and a half hours and the game hasn’t been that close.

Was JLo and Shakira there for an hour long halftime pole dance. Oh, that would be at Kansas, with a money cannon.

The game was delayed to start - I rushed to get it on at 8:05 or so...seemed like was still abt 10 minutes or so til tipoff...

Reactions: kkott
Refs were pretty slow to move the game along. It’s one of their jobs. They failed. I’m giving Mike Eads the trophy for worst ref in the Big 10. That’s saying something in this conference.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Lots of fouls, two technicals, several reviews, and the last couple minutes took forever.

and that review of the J Smith foul at the top when one of their guards went down, took forever. What did everyone think of that call? I try and be objective but for the life of me I couldn't see Smith making contact with him, but I couldn't see clearly. I really felt like he ran in to Garza's arm, and while the announcers were speculating if they were going to call it a flagrant, I wondered if they could reverse the call, or even call the flopping foul. Smith could have made contact under Garza's arm, but I honestly didn't feel like Smith touched him and he ran in to his own player.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
and that review of the J Smith foul at the top when one of their guards went down, took forever. What did everyone think of that call? I try and be objective but for the life of me I couldn't see Smith making contact with him, but I couldn't see clearly. I really felt like he ran in to Garza's arm, and while the announcers were speculating if they were going to call it a flagrant, I wondered if they could reverse the call, or even call the flopping foul. Smith could have made contact under Garza's arm, but I honestly didn't feel like Smith touched him and he ran in to his own player.
The replays did not catch the action clearly. But the live shot did. And there may have been a foul but not flagrant.

His arm was extended as it was stopped by the screening player. The screening player pushed into the arm which was extended. That emphasized the touch to the ball handler's face. So, it was not intentional and it was caused by both players from both teams.

That was my take originally. The replays didn't show anything clearly. But it did happen really fast and I may be in error.

I question if it really was a foul because it was caused by both teams' players.

The replays did not catch the action clearly. But the live shot did. And there may have been a foul but not flagrant.

His arm was extended as it was stopped by the screening player. The screening player pushed into the arm which was extended. That emphasized the touch to the ball handler's face. So, it was not intentional and it was caused by both players from both teams.

That was my take originally. The replays didn't show anything clearly. But it did happen really fast and I may be in error.

I question if it really was a foul because it was caused by both teams' players.

thanks, you saw it better than me. One of those things where it was a foul because it looked like a foul. And it might have been, but it may have been Smith running in to Garza who them ran into the guard (assume it was Wieskamp, but don't recall).

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Lousy call, and college reviews are ridiculously out of control.

I saw it pretty much the way you did. Smith fouled him by grabbing or pushing him off balance, but it appeared to me that the contact above the neck occurred when he ran into Garza's upper arm or shoulder.

I saw it pretty much the way you did. Smith fouled him by grabbing or pushing him off balance, but it appeared to me that the contact above the neck occurred when he ran into Garza's upper arm or shoulder.
Smith inadvertently clothes-lined him. He was trying to fight thru the screen by pushing his arm between Garza and the cutter. Garza kinda leaned forward which made Smith's forearm whack him in the head or neck area. That said, do Iowa's players flop more than anyone in the Big 10? Dudes seemed to go down an awful lot.

Refs were pretty slow to move the game along. It’s one of their jobs. They failed. I’m giving Mike Eads the trophy for worst ref in the Big 10. That’s saying something in this conference.
Fischer could barely conceal his disbelief in/contempt for the calls Eads was making.

Reactions: mk23
Fischer could barely conceal his disbelief in/contempt for the calls Eads was making.
I was at the game and Eads got a hard-on over a couple of things. Somebody in the crowd along the floor near the north end evidently was on him and he responded with a death glare. Then Durham set the ball down along the sideline following a turnover instead of handing him the ball so he stared Durham down. He was also pissed off at Archie over a no-call on a foul on a shooter not long after the ridiculous continuation and-1 given to Garza. You could see it in both his glare and his body language that he was agitated and seeking calls against the Hoosiers. Really unprofessional IMO but not all that uncommon.

I lived with it as a high school coach on a regular basis. Sometimes with young guys eager to prove their authority, sometimes with older refs who had experience working at high levels in the tourney who thought they had reached a point that they were above being questioned or called out. Like in any profession, the more insecure the guy is about the quality of job he is doing, the more sensitive he is to criticism.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it as a coach. The more you call the guy out, the worse he sticks you.

I was at the game and Eads got a hard-on over a couple of things. Somebody in the crowd along the floor near the north end evidently was on him and he responded with a death glare. Then Durham set the ball down along the sideline following a turnover instead of handing him the ball so he stared Durham down. He was also pissed off at Archie over a no-call on a foul on a shooter not long after the ridiculous continuation and-1 given to Garza. You could see it in both his glare and his body language that he was agitated and seeking calls against the Hoosiers. Really unprofessional IMO but not all that uncommon.

I lived with it as a high school coach on a regular basis. Sometimes with young guys eager to prove their authority, sometimes with older refs who had experience working at high levels in the tourney who thought they had reached a point that they were above being questioned or called out. Like in any profession, the more insecure the guy is about the quality of job he is doing, the more sensitive he is to criticism.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it as a coach. The more you call the guy out, the worse he sticks you.
Thanks. Interesting.

I understand that a ref is going to clash (or at least most everyone who is a sports fan accepts it probably will happen, to a greater or lesser degree, at some point in a game), but what gets me is your statement that he was unhappy with how someone IN THE CROWD was comporting himself.

Awfully sensitive, or something.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT