ADVERTISEMENT

Lol at Kris Wilkes

St. Bonnie may end up being Alford's Waterloo at UCLA, but I followed them all season long and thought Alford did as well as could be expected with the roster limitations.

The loss of Riley and Hill to the China shoplifting episode dramatically altered the way UCLA would be able to play both offensively and defensively. Even with Riley and Hill, the Bruins still only returned 3 players that played a year ago.

Next year the roster is loaded with 9 Top 75 recruits (10 if Wilkes is advised to return), whereas 3 of the 8 this season (Golomon, Olesinski and Smith) weren't even rated by most services. IMO, next years roster is the best long term roster in the country. Either Alford or his replacement will be in excellent position going forward... sans any more drama.

Edit- Smith was rated by the main three services, but was also the youngest player in D1 and showed it nearly all the time.

Reactions: snarlcakes
If alford gets canned will Shareef O'Neal jump ship again. Maybe he can go back to Arizona as the Sean Miller drama seems to be fictional drama.

Reactions: ulrey
Did anyone else catch him talking about Reggie Miller being his idol? I really don't think IU was getting the kid even with another coach. It seems to me, even when following his recruitment, he only gave IU interest to keep from getting harassed by idiot fans (which there are a lot more of than there were 18 years ago, just saying). I really don't think he ever gave IU much of a thought, and I can't say I blame him. Some kids give "lip service", but nobody is going to get them all...especially in this day and age. Guess I don't have much to add here, but absolutely no hatred for the kid or Alford. There are plenty of reasons to dislike UCLA, but even then, compared to Kentucky.... I don't really get hating on an 18ish kid who doesn't seem like a bad kid...

Reactions: asindc
Oh, just wait! Next up is a debate between who had the more impressive recruiting strategy.... Mike Davis addressing the recruiting letter wrong to Mike Conley or Tom Crean taking a dump and freaking out at Kyrie Irving's house. It's gonna be a good debate!
Love me some good dump stories.

I think UCLA will give Alford one more year only because of the recruiting class he is bringing in. If he screws it up with that roster he is gone in 2019. Which he will.

Reactions: birdforbogey
If Steve can't make it happen at UCLA, he wouldn't have ever made it happen at IU. At least the UCLA job provides total closure on "what could have been" with Steve at IU.
I never put him at the top of coaches I wanted for IU, but I always wondered what would have happened if he had been hired. It could have started well and the feel good story about him coming back could have been a boost to bring players into Bloomington. I questioned if that would be sustained once the honeymoon period was over.

BTT - you know, that tournament where Crean was 4-9 and couldn’t win a game with the top seed in 2016?

And you think Crean is better . . . :rolleyes: Ok

Well of course. It's not "think", it's just facts. Sorry. Cute emoji though.

Alford’s record so far makes what Howland did there even more impressive. 3 straight Final Fours and finished either 1st or 2nd in the conference 6 times in 10 years.

Howland struggled his last 3-4 years. Had some talented teams that went out early in the tourney. But right now I bet UCLA fans would love to have him back.

Reactions: BBN4UK
Before we get to carried away with how terrible of a coach Alford is, maybe we should have a better team than him? UCLA will have a better team next year if we don’t land Romeo, again.

Reactions: Block charge large
Before we get to carried away with how terrible Alford is, maybe we should have a better team than him, at least one year with Archie. If we don’t land Romeo, UCLA will be better then IU next year, again.
For the record, I’m saying Alford is mediocre. I’m not saying he’s worse than Archie. That’s TBD. I do think Alford is far better than Crean though.

For the record, I’m saying Alford is mediocre. I’m not saying he’s worse than Archie. That’s TBD. I do think Alford is far better than Crean though.

I agree with you. I think Alford will be at UCLA for 3 or 4 more years before they run him off. They have a great class coming in and should be a top 10 team, next year, if Wilkes comes back (which I think he will).

Reactions: fpeaugh
The point is I don’t give a shit about UCLA and don’t understand why IU fans would want to trash an alum who was one of the main reasons we won our last national title.

What would you think of his coaching if Alford wasn’t alum?

The point is I don’t give a shit about UCLA and don’t understand why IU fans would want to trash an alum who was one of the main reasons we won our last national title.
I agree. I never wanted Alford hired as our coach simply because I don't think he's a very good coach. I will always admire him as a great Hoosier player but being a great player doesn't guarantee one will be a great coach.

However, anyone who would recruit not one, but two of Lavar Ball's kids needs some professional help. I don't care if they can guarantee you a trip to the final four, no amount of success could ever be worth having to deal with that fool on a daily basis.

Seriously how much longer does Steve last at UCLA? His 2018 recruiting class will likely save him for another year but it seems like most of the fans want him out.
Because just like on this board here a lot of fans are stupid. He brings in top talent every year, just like Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas and Duke. He just hasn't won the big game, just like Arizona, Kansas,Duke and Kentucky should with all those big time recruits. Their fans aren't hitting the massage boards crying to fire their coach. UCLA fans are stupid considering they go to a great school for education.

I agree. I never wanted Alford hired as our coach simply because I don't think he's a very good coach. I will always admire him as a great Hoosier player but being a great player doesn't guarantee one will be a great coach.

However, anyone who would recruit not one, but two of Lavar Ball's kids needs some professional help. I don't care if they can guarantee you a trip to the final four, no amount of success could ever be worth having to deal with that fool on a daily basis.
Are you serious? The Ball kids are very good basketball players and should not be bashed because of the way their father is. He's not a very good coach yet he beats Kentucky quite a bit. It's not his fault UCLA had a poor season because three morons got suspended for the year. It's funny that people think Alford isn't a good coach and yet Arizona and Kansas bring in top recruits and can't win the big game consistently, but no one says Miller or Self can't coach.

Because just like on this board here a lot of fans are stupid. He brings in top talent every year, just like Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas and Duke. He just hasn't won the big game, just like Arizona, Kansas,Duke and Kentucky should with all those big time recruits. Their fans aren't hitting the massage boards crying to fire their coach. UCLA fans are stupid considering they go to a great school for education.
Are you comparing Alford to Sean Miller? Sean miller has been to 4 elite 8s and is the main reason Steve hasn't won the Pac 12 yet. I won't even address kentucky, duke, and kansas...there is no way you are actually trying to make that comparison. That would be monumentally stupid if someone did that.

Except he doesn’t win. He just lost to Saint Bonaventure in the play in game. They missed the tournament two years ago. In 23 years of coaching at the D1 level, he’s never been past the Sweet 16. Iowa fans hate him. New Mexico fans hate him. UCLA fans hate him.
There is the stupid I was talking about. You act like Saint Bonaventure is a garbage team. They are a good team and UCLA had a tough year because of three morons getting suspended for the year. All those teams hate him because he left there programs. You act like fans don't get upset when coaches move on.

Are you comparing Alford to Sean Miller? Sean miller has been to 4 elite 8s and is the main reason Steve hasn't won the Pac 12 yet. I won't even address kentucky, duke, and kansas...there is no way you are actually trying to make that comparison. That would be monumentally stupid if someone did that.
yeah and how many championships has he won.

I'm comparing the championships they won with the talent they bring in you idiot.

Are you serious? The Ball kids are very good basketball players and should not be bashed because of the way their father is. He's not a very good coach yet he beats Kentucky quite a bit. It's not his fault UCLA had a poor season because three morons got suspended for the year. It's funny that people think Alford isn't a good coach and yet Arizona and Kansas bring in top recruits and can't win the big game consistently, but no one says Miller or Self can't coach.

Miller had 3 Sweet 16s and 4 Elite 8s

Self has 5 Elite 8s, a National runner up, and a national title.

Are you seriously comparing them to Alford?

A better comparison is Crean

Reactions: IUgradman
Miller had 3 Sweet 16s and 4 Elite 8s

Self has 5 Elite 8s, a National runner up, and a national title.

Are you seriously comparing them to Alford?

A better comparison is Crean
Are you guys ****ing stupid? I said for the talent talent talent they don't win championships. If your goal as a coach is sweet 16's and such then dam they are great coaches. I for one am about championships, especially when you bring in top classes every year.

Oh, is that what you're doing? It seems to me you are comparing three hall of fame coaches and another that has been ultra successful with a guy that hasn't gotten out of the sweet 16 in 20+ years of coaching.
I will state it again for your little brain to understand. If you are about Conference championships, Sweet 16's, Elite 8's then they are great coaches. I think for the level of talent they bring in they should win more championships. I also think what makes a great coach is someone who takes lower talented players and make runs at sweet 16's and such. This is why I think Calipari isn't a good coach but just a great recruiter.

anyone who would recruit not one, but two of Lavar Ball's kids needs some professional help. I don't care if they can guarantee you a trip to the final four, no amount of success could ever be worth having to deal with that fool on a daily basis.

Are you serious? The Ball kids are very good basketball players and should not be bashed because of the way their father is. He's not a very good coach yet he beats Kentucky quite a bit. It's not his fault UCLA had a poor season because three morons got suspended for the year.

Two things:

1) Lonzo is a very good player. The other two? Was it worth having The Ball Family Circus around that led to that whole shoplifting incident (which led to the poor season)?

2) You say “he beats Kentucky quite a bit” in one breath, then say Calipari isn’t a good coach in another. So is Alford really accomplishing anything by beating UK?

Archie took a Dayton team with nobody taller than 6’6” to the Elite 8. He’s been coaching for 7 seasons. Alford has been coaching for more than 20 years and with all of the talented teams he’s had has never made it past the Sweet 16.

In conclusion, Alford sucks and Archie is already a better coach. If Alford had been Indiana’s coach this season we wouldn’t have won 10 games.

Reactions: crayfish67
Two things:

1) Lonzo is a very good player. The other two? Was it worth having The Ball Family Circus around that led to that whole shoplifting incident (which led to the poor season)?

2) You say “he beats Kentucky quite a bit” in one breath, then say Calipari isn’t a good coach in another. So is Alford really accomplishing anything by beating UK?
Im talking the recruits he gets. Do you comprehend anything? Kentucky is always at the top of the recruiting classes. The youngest ball is supposedly better than Lonzo. It's not the Ball family circus, just the Dad and you can't blame the sons for the father.

Archie took a Dayton team with nobody taller than 6’6” to the Elite 8. He’s been coaching for 7 seasons. Alford has been coaching for more than 20 years and with all of the talented teams he’s had has never made it past the Sweet 16.

In conclusion, Alford sucks and Archie is already a better coach. If Alford had been Indiana’s coach this season we wouldn’t have won 10 games.
Keep talking. All I know is the posters on this message board know everything, can coach better than anyone, judge talent and recruit better than anyone.I know where to go if I ever have a question about anything.

The youngest ball is supposedly better than Lonzo.

Supposedly? You mean the guy who scored almost a 100 as a HS soph because he cherry-picked at halfcourt?
It's not the Ball family circus, just the Dad and you can't blame the sons for the father.

Who’s blaming the kids?

As a coach you have to decide if the talent is worth the distraction. Steve benefited from having Lonzo, but had this year go south in large part because of the Ball culture that led to the incident in China. That’s on Steve.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT