ADVERTISEMENT

Lol at Kris Wilkes

Supposedly? You mean the guy who scored almost a 100 as a HS soph because he cherry-picked at halfcourt?

Who’s blaming the kids?

As a coach you have to decide if the talent is worth the distraction. Steve benefited from having Lonzo, but had this year go south in large part because of the Ball culture that led to the incident in China. That’s on Steve.
Oh sure blame the coach for everything a student-athlete does.Steve told those three to go steal something. I forgot you judge talent better than anyone.

Yeah all I know is it must not take much to get a degree at Indiana University with all the morons on here.

Morons, eh? Sounds like those that butcher language and rely heavily on vitriol to express themselves - ring any bells? And since you brought it up, where'd you get your degree? Phoenix?

Dial it down rook, it's just a conversation and a virtual one at that.

Will say this re: Alford and the whole China thing: at high-level D-1 programs the Coach effectively becomes/is your Daddy, especially when taking his/her charges overseas - that whole affair is at least partly on Coach Alford. He recruited them to UCLA and as such owns their behavior on and off the Court while they are part of the Bruin's program. Or should. Same goes for assistants which is why I don't understand/agree with HCs getting a pass on their subordinates' actions by claiming ignorance about things like hookers, "loans", benefits, etc. Booster activity is another thing and hard to control, but everything the Players and Staff do is on the Coach. As in the military or even a corporation - accountability for your subordinates is understood and de rigueur.

Last edited:
Are you guys ****ing stupid? I said for the talent talent talent they don't win championships. If your goal as a coach is sweet 16's and such then dam they are great coaches. I for one am about championships, especially when you bring in top classes every year.

he has 3 Sweet 16s in 23 years......that’s f**king AMAZING. You are right, he should be national coach of the year!!!!!

lol

Reactions: B.rock50
I played basketball for years and every time I've watched New Mexico and UCLA play under Alford I've seen a well coached team. He's not great but he is good and pretty far above average. To say he sucks as a coach is stupid. He is coaching UCLA and he has to do better to keep his job there. They expect a solid contender every year and he's not doing that every year. His team may have underperformed this year but he had some personnel problems from the start of the season. On the other hand he was 31-5 last year and he has a top recruiting class coming in so he's not going to be fired. If they don't do better next year he might be. If he does very well next year than he'll buy himself two or three more years. I'd say he is on the hot seat next season and he either gets it done or he doesn't.

I'd rather talk about IU and not have a bash session whenever Alford is mentioned. He's not IU's coach.

Morons, eh? Sounds like those that butcher language and rely heavily on vitriol to express themselves - ring any bells? And since you brought it up, where'd you get your degree? Phoenix?

Dial it down rook, it's just a conversation and a virtual one at that.

Will say this re: Alford and the whole China thing: at high-level D-1 programs the Coach effectively becomes/is your Daddy, especially when taking his/her charges overseas - that whole affair is at least partly on Coach Alford. He recruited them to UCLA and as such owns their behavior on and off the Court while they are part of the Bruin's program. Or should. Same goes for assistants which is why I don't understand/agree with HCs getting a pass on their subordinates' actions by claiming ignorance about things like hookers, "loans", benefits, etc. Booster activity is another thing and hard to control, but everything the Players and Staff do is on the Coach. As in the military or even a corporation - accountability for your subordinates is understood and de rigueur.
Then by that standard it should also be on the AD, the President of the university and the University itself for hiring the coach in the first place. That's just crap and you know it. If a player strikes his girlfriend then the player gets kicked off the team and with your take on things the coach should also be fired because he is their acting dad. How stupid is that?

Then by that standard it should also be on the AD, the President of the university and the University itself for hiring the coach in the first place. That's just crap and you know it. If a player strikes his girlfriend then the player gets kicked off the team and with your take on things the coach should also be fired because he is their acting dad. How stupid is that?

Altogether too simplistic. It definitely is on the HC's superiors, but implicit in the hiring of an HC is a delegation of responsibility and clear expectation of performance and accountability. IMO generally it would require a moral or criminal failing by the HC him/herself to raise the level of responsibility so far up the chain of command to merit action against the AD and/or President.

W.R.T. to your example, there are aspects of personal behavior that are solely on individuals and reasonably beyond the expectation that they can be controlled by anyone save the individual in question. At that point, the subsequent response to the circumstance by the HC is what should be judged more so than the actions of the individual in the context of responsibility. But since nuance isn't your thing, by all means continue using "crap" and "stupid" to describe what is beyond your kin.

Reactions: IUgradman
Archie took a Dayton team with nobody taller than 6’6” to the Elite 8. He’s been coaching for 7 seasons. Alford has been coaching for more than 20 years and with all of the talented teams he’s had has never made it past the Sweet 16.

In conclusion, Alford sucks and Archie is already a better coach. If Alford had been Indiana’s coach this season we wouldn’t have won 10 games.
That’s just ridiculous.

Altogether too simplistic. It definitely is on the HC's superiors, but implicit in the hiring of an HC is a delegation of responsibility and clear expectation of performance and accountability. IMO generally it would require a moral or criminal failing by the HC him/herself to raise the level of responsibility so far up the chain of command to merit action against the AD and/or President.

W.R.T. to your example, there are aspects of personal behavior that are solely on individuals and reasonably beyond the expectation that they can be controlled by anyone save the individual in question. At that point, the subsequent response to the circumstance by the HC is what should be judged more so than the actions of the individual in the context of responsibility. But since nuance isn't your thing, by all means continue using "crap" and "stupid" to describe what is beyond your kin.
There are people on here that think coaches can control what players do 100% of the time. The kids that sign on to play ball and get an education know what is expected of them. If players continue to make bad choices and the coach doesn't do anything about it, then it's on the coach. Parents can't control their kids every minute of every day. They can just raise them the best they can and hope the kids listen to them.

I played basketball for years and every time I've watched New Mexico and UCLA play under Alford I've seen a well coached team. He's not great but he is good and pretty far above average. To say he sucks as a coach is stupid. He is coaching UCLA and he has to do better to keep his job there. They expect a solid contender every year and he's not doing that every year. His team may have underperformed this year but he had some personnel problems from the start of the season. On the other hand he was 31-5 last year and he has a top recruiting class coming in so he's not going to be fired. If they don't do better next year he might be. If he does very well next year than he'll buy himself two or three more years. I'd say he is on the hot seat next season and he either gets it done or he doesn't.

I'd rather talk about IU and not have a bash session whenever Alford is mentioned. He's not IU's coach.
He also missed the tournament entirely 2 years ago. His resume = Crean. Alford has made the NCAA tournament 11 times in 23 years at the D1 level. He’s never been past the Sweet 16.

UCLA fans hate him and are flying planes around campus with banners saying to fire him. He is their worst coach, statistically, since Wooden got there.

Reactions: IUgradman
I'm very happy that neither Crean nor Alford are coaching IU, but c'mon, Alford doesn't make Crean look like John Wooden. And why are you not including his SW Missouri St years? They are D1 and he took them to the Sweet 16. And why do you leave out his New Mexico years when talking conference championships. He won the conference there 4 out of 6 years.

They both are pretty damn mediocre, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably rather have Alford here than Crean. The problem with bringing him here, though, is that it would be really difficult to ever fire him.

But come on, virtually any coach would’ve won 4 of 6 titles at New Mexico when he was there given the state of that shithole conference.

I agree, but I am tired of all the laughing at and bashing of Alford. I like to point out that UCLA has made the tournament how many years compared to Indiana. Does that give us as Hoosier fans the right to laugh at or make fun of any coach that continues to make it to the NCAA tournament. I bet you don't hear Alford laughing at us Indiana because they didn't make it. This is why Hoosier fans need to look at themselves before bashing anyone else. I also think for the record that I didn't want Alford as coach but would have rather had him than Crean.

Reactions: MrBing
But come on, virtually any coach would’ve won 4 of 6 titles at New Mexico when he was there given the state of that shithole conference.
Yeah then why does that same response go to Bill Self and that shithole conference that only had Kansas in it before West Virginia joined.

I think this post season is confirming that the Pac 12 was an absolute shithole conference this year.

USC was even taken to double over time in the first round of the NIT.

In Alford's last season at UNM 5 of 9 teams made the NCAA Tournament from the MWC. In 2010 and 2012 4 MWC teams made it along with 3 in 2011.

In 2013 Sagarin had the MWC as the 4th toughest conference ahead of the ACC, SEC and PAC 12.

Reactions: MrBing
That's an interesting take, especially considering how many teams they were putting in the tourney then, and the fact that new Mexico hasn't won the conference since he left. But, hey, you do you.

This from the LA Times today on the UCLA game:

"You know, it sucks," said the Bruins' Kris Wilkes. "It's hard. It's hard to believe."

The Bruins' downfall was actually epitomized with the gifted freshman Wilkes, who was late for a team bus on Monday's hasty journey here and benched for the game's first five minutes.

"My phone was dead, I didn't wake up in time, and that really hurt us," acknowledged Wilkes.
So, do the players have private rooms?

There have been so many opportunities to get good players that were blown by incompetent coaches. I hope those days have finally ended.[/QUO
I don't think it was incompetency, style of play is and honesty is
normally the deciding factor in recruiting players.

I blame Davis more on Luke Harangody not coming to IU. He didn't even recruit him.
CMD couldn't give Hargangody the minutes he wanted Notre Dame could
at that time. Crean had no shot with Kyrie, he was a one and done and
Duke offered him a much better path to achieve his goals.

CMD couldn't give Hargangody the minutes he wanted Notre Dame could
at that time. Crean had no shot with Kyrie, he was a one and done and
Duke offered him a much better path to achieve his goals.
CMD knew that Odle was a better fit
than Harangody, you can't take every
instate favorite son. Sampson (other
than Gordon) and especially
Crean had done hurt IU chances
with many high profile and
worthy instaters.

Does Archie have any five rated players
inked for 2018? I'm talking Kentucky
Duke and (early) UCLA worthy. This is still
Indiana not Dayton!
Really Duke UK is the line? Maybe we should invite WWW on campus ..

Even incompetent recruiters inked five stars at IU. Namely Mike Davis and Tom Crean. Every coach hired at IU since and including RMK had a top 20 class within 2 years and another top 10(+/-) within 4. It's the inherent pipeline called Indiana.

Only RMK had a third.

He also missed the tournament entirely 2 years ago. His resume = Crean. Alford has made the NCAA tournament 11 times in 23 years at the D1 level. He’s never been past the Sweet 16.

UCLA fans hate him and are flying planes around campus with banners saying to fire him. He is their worst coach, statistically, since Wooden got there.
I know some hate him but his teams are well coached from my POV as a player on some good teams. His teams play fundamentally better basketball than Crean's teams. But it's all about wins so if Alford has a big year next year he'll remain their coach a couple more years or more and if he doesn't I think he might be gone. It's not a major concern to me which way it goes. :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT