ADVERTISEMENT

Lol at Kris Wilkes

Seriously how much longer does Steve last at UCLA? His 2018 recruiting class will likely save him for another year but it seems like most of the fans want him out.

Reactions: IUgradman
Seriously how much longer does Steve last at UCLA? His 2018 recruiting class will likely save him for another year but it seems like most of the fans want him out.
In an interview Steve said that you just can't win at UCLA. You have to win flashy to keep their attention because there is so much to do in the area. Not a good situation in my view. I will take winning no matter what it looks like.

Reactions: ORG and IUgradman
In an interview Steve said that you just can't win at UCLA. You have to win flashy to keep their attention because there is so much to do in the area. Not a good situation in my view. I will take winning no matter what it looks like.
Except he doesn’t win. He just lost to Saint Bonaventure in the play in game. They missed the tournament two years ago. In 23 years of coaching at the D1 level, he’s never been past the Sweet 16. Iowa fans hate him. New Mexico fans hate him. UCLA fans hate him.

Except he doesn’t win. He just lost to Saint Bonaventure in the play in game. They missed the tournament two years ago. In 23 years of coaching at the D1 level, he’s never been past the Sweet 16. Iowa fans hate him. New Mexico fans hate him. UCLA fans hate him.

hahaha You and I are on the same page. That was a great job of deflection on his part. "You just can't win at UCLA because you have to win flashy." The UCLA board nods their head in understanding, COMPLETELY glossing over the fact that he just isn't winning AT ALL. Let alone flashy.

I agree Alford is mediocre at best. So glad we didn’t get him.

But I don’t understand why IU fans are talking trash to Wilkes. Would he be better off sitting at home at IU? At least they made the tourney and he had a good year. And I bet living in LA hasn’t been too bad for the kid. It’s not like he passed up the opportunity to play on a top IU team.

Tom Crean says hi.

Thanks, tell him I said hello but that has nothing to do with the topic at hand so you could've just PM'd that to me?

In Alford's 19 seasons he has never made it past his 3 Sweet 16's. In his 13 combined years at Iowa and UCLA, he has never even won a conference title. ha In Crean's 18 seasons he made 4 sweet 16's and a Final Four. Let alone the conference championships. Alford makes Crean look like John Wooden.

But I don’t understand why IU fans are talking trash to Wilkes. Would he be better off sitting at home at IU? At least they made the tourney and he had a good year. And I bet living in LA hasn’t been too bad for the kid. It’s not like he passed up the opportunity to play on a top IU team.

I agree. Wilkes actually had a good freshman season. I don't think he has regrets just yet. Not to say he never will but it's definitely not something I think he's pondered to date.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Thanks, tell him I said hello but that has nothing to do with the topic at hand so you could've just PM'd that to me?

In Alford's 19 seasons he has never made it past his 3 Sweet 16's. In his 13 combined years at Iowa and UCLA, he has never even won a conference title. ha In Crean's 18 seasons he made 4 sweet 16's and a Final Four. Let alone the conference championships. Alford makes Crean look like John Wooden.

I'm very happy that neither Crean nor Alford are coaching IU, but c'mon, Alford doesn't make Crean look like John Wooden. And why are you not including his SW Missouri St years? They are D1 and he took them to the Sweet 16. And why do you leave out his New Mexico years when talking conference championships. He won the conference there 4 out of 6 years.

They both are pretty damn mediocre, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably rather have Alford here than Crean. The problem with bringing him here, though, is that it would be really difficult to ever fire him.

I'm very happy that neither Crean nor Alford are coaching IU, but c'mon, Alford doesn't make Crean look like John Wooden. And why are you not including his SW Missouri St years? They are D1 and he took them to the Sweet 16. And why do you leave out his New Mexico years when talking conference championships. He won the conference there 4 out of 6 years.

They both are pretty damn mediocre, but if I had to pick one, I'd probably rather have Alford here than Crean. The problem with bringing him here, though, is that it would be really difficult to ever fire him.
Well, you are correct, those records should be included obviously. On the downside didn't his New Mexico team get bounced twice in the first or 2nd round once as a 2 seed, maybe twice? I cannot recall.

Oh, we should include his 23 years JUST to equal the same number of sweet 16's as Crean did? Let alone while at Marquette for half of his 18 years? Even with that information Alford still falls short of going past the Sweet 16, which Crean did. I was specific on the conference titles when in a big boy conference. Winning at small conferences (which he never did at SWMS) with 12 losses......come on. Both are mediocre but one of them is way more limited. That would be Alford. Hands down, not even up for debate.

Both underachieve with great talent and are poor in-game coaches whose teams lack fundamentals. You aren’t winning big with either.

I can’t blame Wilkes for going there because if I had a choice, I would play for the crappy coach in sunny LA where I can rub elbows with top NBA talent.

Oh, we should include his 23 years JUST to equal the same number of sweet 16's as Crean did? Let alone while at Marquette for half of his 18 years? Even with that information Alford still falls short of going past the Sweet 16, which Crean did. I was specific on the conference titles when in a big boy conference. Winning at small conferences (which he never did at SWMS) with 12 losses......come on. Both are mediocre but one of them is way more limited. That would be Alford. Hands down, not even up for debate.

Crean went to a Final Four.

A lot if these fans talking trash about Wilkes wanted him at iu in the worst way.

Reactions: Kentucky31
I wanted Alford to be better. As he went further into his career, it became more telling that he would never be an elite coach. I'm glad we can remember him as the great player and not as the coach we had to fire.

You have to think this is his last stop before he becomes only considered at schools that are happy to make the NIT and sometimes the NCAA.

Crean has the Final Four over Alford - due to having Wade, a player no one else recruited because of his academics.

In “Big Boy” conferences, Crean won 2 RS titles (2013 & 2016); Alford won 2 BTT’s (2001 & 2006).

Both are mediocre, but if given a choice between the two I take Steve. Every. Single. Time.

This is such a stupid thing to argue over, but to say that it is not debatable that Crean is better than Alford is really ridiculous. You can have your argument and opinion that Crean is better, but to act like it is some no-brainer decision is very short-sighted. We all know that Crean's Final Four was a mirage, stars-aligning, type situation....you take that out and they have really had similar results...inconsistent with marginal successes where their highs should have been average seasons at blue-blood type programs.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Thank God neither of them are coaching at IU.

Reactions: All4You
Crean has the Final Four over Alford - due to having Wade, a player no one else recruited because of his academics.

In “Big Boy” conferences, Crean won 2 RS titles (2013 & 2016); Alford won 2 BTT’s (2001 & 2006).

Both are mediocre, but if given a choice between the two I take Steve. Every. Single. Time.

BTT? LOL Yeah, conference title. smh Wow.

I wanted Alford to be better. As he went further into his career, it became more telling that he would never be an elite coach. I'm glad we can remember him as the great player and not as the coach we had to fire.

You have to think this is his last stop before he becomes only considered at schools that are happy to make the NIT and sometimes the NCAA.
If Steve can't make it happen at UCLA, he wouldn't have ever made it happen at IU. At least the UCLA job provides total closure on "what could have been" with Steve at IU.

Mercy. Sounds too much like a debate about whose ex-wife was the worst.

:D
Oh, just wait! Next up is a debate between who had the more impressive recruiting strategy.... Mike Davis addressing the recruiting letter wrong to Mike Conley or Tom Crean taking a dump and freaking out at Kyrie Irving's house. It's gonna be a good debate!

There have been so many opportunities to get good players that were blown by incompetent coaches. I hope those days have finally ended.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Oh, just wait! Next up is a debate between who had the more impressive recruiting strategy.... Mike Davis addressing the recruiting letter wrong to Mike Conley or Tom Crean taking a dump and freaking out at Kyrie Irving's house. It's gonna be a good debate!
I blame Davis more on Luke Harangody not coming to IU. He didn't even recruit him.

I hope he enjoyed the weather though.

This from the LA Times today on the UCLA game:

"You know, it sucks," said the Bruins' Kris Wilkes. "It's hard. It's hard to believe."

The Bruins' downfall was actually epitomized with the gifted freshman Wilkes, who was late for a team bus on Monday's hasty journey here and benched for the game's first five minutes.

"My phone was dead, I didn't wake up in time, and that really hurt us," acknowledged Wilkes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT