ADVERTISEMENT

Lane Kiffin and Ole Miss

My initial thought was same but, after re-reading the article and thinking about popular opinions in the deep South in general, I'm not so sure Lane and Ole Miss won't skate through. Will have to see how the courts and NCAA deal with the situation.

Reactions: vesuvius13
My initial thought was same but, after re-reading the article and thinking about popular opinions in the deep South in general, I'm not so sure Lane and Ole Miss won't skate through. Will have to see how the courts and NCAA deal with the situation.
Seems like an open and shut case, to me. If recording him without his knowledge is legal there (and the article said it was "legally recorded"), you can stick a fork in him. The only way he gets through it is if there is some kind of settlement that allows him to.

What? He called him a p*ssy for saying he is going through mental health issues in the recorded conversation.
LK acknowledged the issues with mental health but seemed to be focused on what he deemed insubordinate behavior by the kid for refusing to meet with him. I have no doubt Kiffin would’ve chosen different words had he known he was being recorded, but I’m not sure it’s as cut and dried as you believe it to be based on the allegations presented.

This will get thrown out immediately, what the hell? He's suing on the basis that the school and football staff didn't provide adequate material to address mental health? The article literally states that the strength and conditioning referred him to the school's athletic psychologist, they had a meeting, and he blew off what she was telling him to do?

He's lucky he's still enrolled in school, let alone still on scholarship, after recording a meeting without the head coaches consent, regardless if Mississippi is one consent state.

Kiffin knows the game of football but he is one seriously effed up individual.

Look at his history, going back to the Raiders.

Kiffin knows the game of football but he is one seriously effed up individual.

Look at his history, going back to the Raiders.
What exactly did he do? He acknowledged the kids mental health issues, as he repeatedly stated so, he was berating the player for continuously blowing off scheduled meetings. Having a mental health crisis doesn't exclude you from being insubordinate.

I think Kiffin gets to keep his job, the University puts together some mental health awareness program for all coaches, and the university cuts a big check to the kid.

There will be an army of expert witnesses willing to testify that the kids actions are those of somebody who is severely depressed.

The good news is he did not try to commit suicide.

Seems like an open and shut case, to me. If recording him without his knowledge is legal there (and the article said it was "legally recorded"), you can stick a fork in him. The only way he gets through it is if there is some kind of settlement that allows him to.
Ole Miss is not going to bend to national popular opinion. The recorded message may actually make him more popular in Oxford. I think Lane is safe unless a judge says otherwise.

What exactly did he do? He acknowledged the kids mental health issues, as he repeatedly stated so, he was berating the player for continuously blowing off scheduled meetings. Having a mental health crisis doesn't exclude you from being insubordinate.
That seems reasonable.
Unless the depression is near catatonic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT