ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Buckeyes Spent $13 Million and Counting...

But is this sustainable? Are the same deep pockets going to keep giving huge amounts year in and year out? I don't think they reached that level with $25 and $50 donations.

I ponied up a big donation (for me) to show my support for the new staff but I don't see myself doing that every year.

I guess we'll see. It's a new world for College athletics.

Anyone have an idea what we spend vs OSU? Just curious — very hard to get solid numbers on NIL.
I still want patches on uniforms for every sponsor kids have. Maybe even a QR code you could scan to learn more about the sponsor AND exactly how much they are paying said player.

Or hell, just change the uniform number to their actual NIL number. It’d be a lot easier to tell who the best players are.

But is this sustainable? Are the same deep pockets going to keep giving huge amounts year in and year out? I don't think they reached that level with $25 and $50 donations.

I ponied up a big donation (for me) to show my support for the new staff but I don't see myself doing that every year.

They used it wisely though. Yes they spent some on incoming players like Downs and Judkins, but the rest of the money spent was to players who will only be there one more year. Ebuka, Williams, JTT, Henderson, Burke and Sawyer all stayed. All would have been drafted and Ebuka and Burke were even projected 1st rd.

Sayin was a different story. He called them and they actually had discussions on if they were taking him. He or any incoming freshman don’t receive NIL money until they are enrolled (B1G rule) They have a few collectives. The Foundation and The 1870 Society. They both are huge with 1870 being football only.

They would be able to keep this up by saying to everyone that goes pro every year that "it is time to give a little back." Not easy but definitely possible.

Reactions: vesuvius13
True. **** those young men. I hate when the poor get paid for their talents and work. They should ve happy with the crumbs because blah blah blah something something
lol. While we are at it, lets start paying other students that actually have to pay for their education. That would actually be helping those in real need. The players getting a free education, free room and board etc were not poor in comparison to their peers. Not by a long shot.

College sports would be a lot better if some attempt was made at evening the playing field.

Professional leagues have drafts and salary caps to try to maintain competitive balance. NCAA has nothing but a competition to see who can pay the most for winning.

lol. While we are at it, lets start paying other students that actually have to pay for their education. That would actually be helping those in real need. The players getting a free education, free room and board etc were not poor in comparison to their peers. Not by a long shot.

College sports would be a lot better if some attempt was made at evening the playing field.

Professional leagues have drafts and salary caps to try to maintain competitive balance. NCAA has nothing but a competition to see who can pay the most for winning.
Their peers? Do you know what that word means? Their peers are not some dorky asian dude in their accounting or even some dude on the wrestling team. These are grownups participating in an activity that is generating billions of dollars in revenue and making hundreds of individuals into millionaires.

Yet to you their peer is Lucy, the local bar skag, that lives for Thursday night parties at the local dive bar. lol. wtf.

Their peers? Do you know what that word means? Their peers are not some dorky asian dude in their accounting or even some dude on the wrestling team. These are grownups participating in an activity that is generating billions of dollars in revenue and making hundreds of individuals into millionaires.

Yet to you their peer is Lucy, the local bar skag, that lives for Thursday night parties at the local dive bar. lol. wtf.

they are all supposed to be college students einstein.

I get it if fans hate the NIL, but a clarification of the facts.

1. $13 million wasn’t spent on attracting transfers. The number comes from last year when Day said given today’s market value, it would take OSU $13 million to retain the current roster.
2. No University including OSU spends a single cent for NIL. That comes from outside sources, usually collectives that garnish contributions.
3. NIL isn’t a result of programs wanting to pay players, it came from a law suit that said it was illegal to keep individuals from making money from their name, image, and likeness.
4. OSU didn’t buy a team. They’ve taken 6 transfers this season. One is a TE transferring from Ohio University, so a kid just looking to play at a bigger school. Three transferred out because Saban retired, and two of them-Downs and Sayin had OSU as one of their final choices when recruited. Caleb Downs was actually Crystal balled to OSU until the final days. Sayin, the 5-star QB from Alabama who had OSU in his final list and was recruited by Bill O’Brien at Alabama who is now the OSU OC, actually approached OSU. Day actually initially hesitated because they already have a 5-Star coming in the same recruiting class. In the end they took Sayin because he was their top target last season.
5. They got Howard the KSU QB because McCord, OSU’s last season’s starting QB transferred out. They wanted a replacement and Howard was already on the transfer portal.

Make no mistake, the NIL helped, but wasn’t the sole reason they attracted the Transfers.

I get it if fans hate the NIL, but a clarification of the facts.

1. $13 million wasn’t spent on attracting transfers. The number comes from last year when Day said given today’s market value, it would take OSU $13 million to retain the current roster.
2. No University including OSU spends a single cent for NIL. That comes from outside sources, usually collectives that garnish contributions.
3. NIL isn’t a result of programs wanting to pay players, it came from a law suit that said it was illegal to keep individuals from making money from their name, image, and likeness.
4. OSU didn’t buy a team. They’ve taken 6 transfers this season. One is a TE transferring from Ohio University, so a kid just looking to play at a bigger school. Three transferred out because Saban retired, and two of them-Downs and Sayin had OSU as one of their final choices when recruited. Caleb Downs was actually Crystal balled to OSU until the final days. Sayin, the 5-star QB from Alabama who had OSU in his final list and was recruited by Bill O’Brien at Alabama who is now the OSU OC, actually approached OSU. Day actually initially hesitated because they already have a 5-Star coming in the same recruiting class. In the end they took Sayin because he was their top target last season.
5. They got Howard the KSU QB because McCord, OSU’s last season’s starting QB transferred out. They wanted a replacement and Howard was already on the transfer portal.

Make no mistake, the NIL helped, but wasn’t the sole reason they attracted the Transfers.
2) why should fans be paying player's salary? Pretty convenient for schools

3) does anyone really believe name image and likeness have anything to do with what is going on? It is pay for play and that is it. I doubt anyone that paid is getting anything out of it from the players other than knowing that it helped their sports team.

I should donate to the NIL and then afterwards ask the players for a high resolution image of themselves so I can use their name image and likeness lmao

Could make life size cutouts to put in stores or billboard ads

Sounds like they have an army of small donors making monthly contributions. And the $13m is probably low.

"Rick Ricart, who inked endorsement deals with seven Ohio State football players last season through his family’s car dealership business, said Day’s comments ($13M) initially raised eyebrows. But in reality, Ricart said, “The number was probably bigger than that.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT