ADVERTISEMENT

Labor Day Menu

PhishPhan682

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
what are you all fixing up for this labor day of rest?

I'm on hour 6 of simmering a from the garden marinara sauce to make a lasagna later. The only things I bought were garlic cloves and a few dried spices. Added some fresh ground cow that we purchased a 1/4 of from local farmer to make a thick almost ragu and in about 2 hours I'll take it off to let cool for the lasagna.

I did make some fresh guac for snacking and a nice chilaquile recipe for brunch as well.

Mucho hot for smoking BBQ or grilling so I'm simmering a sauce in the A/C and watching some PGA while listening to John Butler Trio sipping oln a couple brews (White and Black Rajah) while seeing some family in Toledo yesterday

Cheers and happy Labor Day AOTF.

I'm on hour 6 of simmering a from the garden marinara sauce to make a lasagna later. The only things I bought were garlic cloves and a few dried spices. Added some fresh ground cow that we purchased a 1/4 of from local farmer to make a thick almost ragu and in about 2 hours I'll take it off to let cool for the lasagna.

I did make some fresh guac for snacking and a nice chilaquile recipe for brunch as well.

Mucho hot for smoking BBQ or grilling so I'm simmering a sauce in the A/C and watching some PGA while listening to John Butler Trio sipping oln a couple brews (White and Black Rajah) while seeing some family in Toledo yesterday

Nada. Heading out to watch the O$U game with the bro-in-law. Probably pizza. Your dinner certainly sounds better but no Italian sausage? Ricotta? Cheers, Phish.

Had a can of Monster Rehab before hitting the gym.

Then had some cheap frozen pizza along with some vegetables for lunch.

Tacos later.

Nothing spectacular. Don't feel like putting forth much effort today.

Watching golf as well...

Rickie struggling unfortunately. Stenson looks like the Terminator today.

Gotta do some cardio and lift/crunches, then mow the lawn, then walk Ranger. After that, it will be beverage time (I've got a Bare Hands stash after visiting the brewery with customers I had in town for the ND/Texas game) whilst grilling some hot dogs on the grill. That'll be accompanied by some homemade macaroni salad, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Mowin', drinkin' beer, dogs on the grill, all on Labor Day - #Merica, baby!!!

Reactions: hoosierdug
Three racks of spare ribs trimmed to a St Louis cut smoked with lump charcoal and hickory in the Weber Smokey Mountain. Beans cooked in the smoker as well, on the rack below the ribs so they catch the fat (read: flavor) dripping from the ribs. Some kind of cold corn salad prepared by the wife. I see vinegar and cilantro so I'm optimistic.

And I brewed earlier. A Red IPA. OG 1.068, 70.6 IBU's. 14.9 SRM. And yes Red IPA is now an official BJCP Style, category 21B.

Torchies breakfast tacos, double double animal style combo for lunch, Salt Lick briscut combo for dinner.

I think that a chilaquile is one of the best brunch items around. Only "stale" day old tortilla chips and the rest will take care of itself.

I use the same tomatillo sauce for my chilaquiles as I do for my authentic taco salsa. I cheat a little and use a sour cream base rather than crema for the topping and the cotija is essential.

Finish with fresh lime wedges and cilantro and you have a sustainable meal fit for a king.

No big meal, we used an old coupon we had to go zip-lining up in the NC Foothills: Saluda, NC on the Green River Gorge. Perfect weather and pretty day. Still a little early to see any color but the ziplining was great. First time I'd been on an extended multi-segment zipline like that. If anyone's up that way (South of Asheville, near Hendersonville) I'd recommend The Gorge for ziplining.

Good weekend: my son had an XC meet Saturday, and I took him to play golf Sunday afternoon with a perfect sunset and pizza afterward. Then ziplining Monday and today is our 25th wedding anniversary!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT