ADVERTISEMENT

Keion’s decision date...

tenor.gif

Beverly was at the game yesterday. Archie isn’t done recruiting this class and Keion knows it’s time to grab that last scholarship before it’s gone. At least that’s what I’m telling myself...:cool::cool:

I am curious if the whining from Tommy Izzo after the game eliminated MSU and helped him make a decision.

I don't know if that means he will pick us, but it didn't help sell MSU. Bringing Beverly in this weekend was either Archie preparing for Brooks to go elsewhere or just not sitting back and waiting.

If not Brooks, another good guard or big would help. We need good players at every position, but we have players for the role Brooks could play. Brooks might play it better, but we could stand to improve in other areas and have limited spots open..

Reactions: HoosierGolfGuy
I very much hope that Green graduates and transfers for his final season. We need the scholarship and can’t take an APR hit from a transfer. A grad transfer would be good for both parties.

I would think if Green leaves it will be for overseas ball or the G-League.

There is going to be more than one scholorship available. You really think nobody is going to leave?

A transfer or multiple transfers is almost a given. It is just part of college basketball today and has nothing to do with team record. Players know where their game is compared to others; they see others at their position moving up or coming into the program; and they see how much playing time is likely available the next season. On top of that the coaches are talking to them about what will be needed and expected. There will be at least one transfer.

My hope is KB joins the team. He's an Indiana kid. He's talented. It would be such a great fit for him and the team. Landing KB helps, but some of these guys are going to have to really up their games.

Shooting is needed. Ball handling is needed. More than anything, they have to bulk up as a team inside. Enough with the 6'8 projects. IU needs to find some 6'9 or bigger beasts that can stand their ground inside. Nothing more frustrating than watching IUs 6'6 to 6'8 guys trying and too often failing to block out the 6'9 to 7'0 bigs from virtually every other team in the conference.

A transfer or multiple transfers is almost a given. It is just part of college basketball today and has nothing to do with team record. Players know where their game is compared to others; they see others at their position moving up or coming into the program; and they see how much playing time is likely available the next season. On top of that the coaches are talking to them about what will be needed and expected. There will be at least one transfer.

My hope is KB joins the team. He's an Indiana kid. He's talented. It would be such a great fit for him and the team. Landing KB helps, but some of these guys are going to have to really up their games.

Shooting is needed. Ball handling is needed. More than anything, they have to bulk up as a team inside. Enough with the 6'8 projects. IU needs to find some 6'9 or bigger beasts that can stand their ground inside. Nothing more frustrating than watching IUs 6'6 to 6'8 guys trying and too often failing to block out the 6'9 to 7'0 bigs from virtually every other team in the conference.

I agree with this, but Brooks doesn't directly help the needs you identified unless he's just that great a shooter. He'd be excellent if Hunter isn't returning, but for me, the #1 need is shooting, followed by post depth (I think Davis could have an all-conference year next year if healthy). I also think we need better PG play, but expect Phinisee to improve, and to also help with improved shooting. Don't get me wrong, I want to get Brooks, but the biggest holes I see are really in other areas.

I have a friend of a friend who is the proctologist of the veterinarian of the half stepsister of Keions aunt on his mother’s fathers side said they heard from some guy that saw a homeless guy wearing UK socks that Keions dad bought a Bigmac value meal that came with a UK cup. ~fpeaugh~

There is going to be more than one scholorship available. You really think nobody is going to leave?

As I stated, I hope that Green graduates and transfers. I expect at least one transfer and I hope that it's Green. I think that Beverly being at the game shows us that CAM thinks Green might be leaving as well. I would not be super surprised if we have more than 1 transfer. Other than Green, I'm not rooting for anyone else to leave though.

I agree with this, but Brooks doesn't directly help the needs you identified unless he's just that great a shooter. He'd be excellent if Hunter isn't returning, but for me, the #1 need is shooting, followed by post depth (I think Davis could have an all-conference year next year if healthy). I also think we need better PG play, but expect Phinisee to improve, and to also help with improved shooting. Don't get me wrong, I want to get Brooks, but the biggest holes I see are really in other areas.

Phinisee has been a Beast when healthy! He will start for now on until he leaves IU.

Phinisee has been a Beast when healthy! He will start for now on until he leaves IU.

... I agree, but don't fall into the CTC trap... we need quality depth at all positions, including PG! If Green stays next year, that'd be the rotation, and then we could wait til 2020 for a PG, but if not, we either need a PG this class or a grad transfer, or risk more problems w injury bug.

Reactions: hoosierraven
... I agree, but don't fall into the CTC trap... we need quality depth at all positions, including PG! If Green stays next year, that'd be the rotation, and then we could wait til 2020 for a PG, but if not, we either need a PG this class or a grad transfer, or risk more problems w injury bug.
CAM is taking the long term approach. He is establishing himself with elite in state kids and is building HIS team, not necessarily filling the gaps left by Crean. With that said, there is still a lot to be desired with CAM, but that is his approach. I agree though, we absolutely need more shooting and we could still land a shooter beyond hunter.

Ironically, on the uk rivals board in the thread discussing Keion - they spelled his name wrong. They have it as Keon. Tells you everything you need to know about uk fans and how they see recruits.

The incoming recruits they love today and the ones that will take them to a title next season are immediately scrubbed from memory when they fail. It's a pattern. The incoming recruits will be smarter and listen more. They will do what cal wants and play as a team. They will replace the guys that don't work hard or care enough about the team.

I'd like to think Keion knows that IU fans will know his name and wont hope and pray they recruit over him the next season.

Just out of curiosity, I thought I'd look at how players recruited by Calipari to Kentucky fared in reality vs the he "prepares them for the NBA better than anywhere else" myth:

RSCI / PLAYER / DRAFT / ROUND / PICK / DRAFT STATUS +/- (YRS at UK)

Un = Undrafted
Trnsfr = Transferred

64 Jon Hood Un 4 YR
52 Eric Bledsoe 2010 1 18 +34 OAD
T19 Daniel Orton 2010 1 29 -10 OAD
3 DeMarcus Cousins 2010 1 5 -2 OAD
2 John Wall 2010 1 1 +1 OAD
26 Doron Lamb 2012 2 42 -16 2 YR
11 Terrence Jones 2012 1 18 -7 2 YR
4 Brandon Knight 2011 1 8 -4 OAD
19 Kyle Wiltjer Trnsfr - Gonzaga / Un 2 YR
7 Marquis Teague 2012 1 29 -22 OAD
3 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 2012 1 2 +1 OAD
1 Anthony Davis 2012 1 1 No Change OAD
38 Willie Cauley-Stein 2015 1 6 +32 3 YR
10 Archie Goodwin 2013 1 29 -19 OAD
8 Alex Poythress Un 4 YR
1 Nerlens Noel 2013 1 6 -5 OAD
18 Marcus Lee Trnsfr - California / Un 3 YR
T9 Dakari Johnson 2015 2 48 -39 2 YR
9 James Young 2014 1 17 -8 OAD
6 Aaron Harrison Un 2 YR
5 Andrew Harrison 2015 2 44 -39 2 YR
2 Julius Randle 2014 1 7 -5 OAD
23 Devin Booker 2015 1 13 +10 OAD
18 Tyler Ulis 2016 2 34 -16 2 YR
12 Trey Lyles 2015 1 12 No Change OAD
5 Karl-Anthony Towns 2015 1 1 +4 OAD
71 Jamal Murray (Canada) 2016 1 7 +64 OAD
50 Charles Matthews Trnsfr - Michigan 1 YR
11 Isaiah Briscoe Un 2 YR
2 Skal Labissiere 2016 1 28 -26 OAD
T21 Sacha Killeya-Jones Trnsfr - NC State 2 YR
13 Wenyen Gabriel Un 2 YR
9 Malik Monk 2017 1 11 -2 OAD
8 Bam Adebayo 2017 1 14 -6 OAD
6 De'Aaron Fox 2017 1 5 +1 OAD
46 Hamidou Diallo 2018 2 45 +1 OAD 1/2
30 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 2018 1 11 +19 OAD
23 Quade Green Trnsfr - Washington 1.5 YR
18 Nick Richards Still on Roster 2 YR
14 PJ Washington Still on Roster 2 YR
13 Jarred Vanderbilt 2018 2 41 -28 OAD
10 Kevin Knox 2018 1 9 +1 OAD

Outside of Eric Bledsoe (and his ranking likely tired to his poor academics) and Jamal Murray (from Canada and was ranked late in the process), Calipari hasn't really "improved" anyone. Furthermore, he's had several Top-10 RSCI recruits fall in value.

If Keion thinks going to UK will get him drafted higher, he may want to take a 2nd look here. There is NO evidence that Cal/UK "gets" players drafted. If a player is good enough, it will happen. It certainly could happen for Brooks in Bloomington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT