ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Redshirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's paid content in a GBI interview, so not right off. Maybe it was a rivals at large interview? Not sure. Pretty sure some current players have participated in NIL. It's hard to believe Painter wouldn't allow it.

Also not sure how big of an impact it will have when all is said and done.
He subscribes to GBI so he can find it

Close. I have the login info to my friend’s account. Have never seen anything about DGL mentioning NIL as a benefit of going to Purdue. Not much mention of NIL in general from a Purdue perspective.
Where was it cited Purdue lost Washington to NIL? Missed that.

You guys have to recognize that this Trojan guy argues endlessly, and usually without any merit. I think it’s a contest with him to see how long he can keep this going. My recommendation is to leave him alone and not try to respond to each statement, regardless of the veracity. You can’t make an idiot into a genius, no matter how much logic you use.
:cool:

You guys have to recognize that this Trojan guy argues endlessly, and usually without any merit. I think it’s a contest with him to see how long he can keep this going. My recommendation is to leave him alone and not try to respond to each statement, regardless of the veracity. You can’t make an idiot into a genius, no matter how much logic you use.
:cool:
Thanks for your input, Michael.

Where was it cited Purdue lost Washington to NIL? Missed that.
Washington talked about the NIL impact UNC had been telling him about. Same with Dawson Garcia. Everything Brian reported until basically two days before he committed to UNC was that Washington would stay close to home.

You clowns down south never disappoint. TKR couldn’t get far enough away from your dumpster fire, so much so he’s willing to sit a year and play the long game. And now he’s itching to transfer? Savor that nail biting win against one of the worst teams in the country.
Weak effort even for a troll like yourself.

"couldn't get far enough away"? Interesting.

Explain what you know and be specific.

Otherwise waddle back to the GBI and talk about IU.

To understand this situation, you have to look no further than Purdue's roster. Purdue has two really good players at the 5 and two very solid players at the 4. Kaufman was behind due to offseason injuries and simply would have struggled to see significant minutes. Could he have carved out a bigger role as the season progressed? Possibly. However, why burn a year of eligibility playing 6-8 minutes a game?

Kaufman has acknowledged that, in order to make it in the NBA, he will need to develop into a stretch 3. With a year of development via the redshirt, he can begin to see minutes at this position. He will also see more time at the 4 with Trevion Williams gone. Furst will likely have to play 8-12 minutes a game at the 5. That will allow Kaufman to slide into those minutes. Furst will also have to sit at times, freeing up more minutes. While he will have to contend with Gillis, I would say 25 minutes a game next season is very reasonable. Possibly more depending on his development at the 3.

I am not sure why people are all under the impression that he is supposed to be a two year and done type of player. Kaufman was the #40-ish recruit in his class. There are only 30 NBA teams and two rounds in a draft. I think in the latest espn mock, something like 9 first round picks were not even coming from college teams. Do you realize how hard it is to be a first round pick and/or get guaranteed money? Kaufman will be a 3 or 4 year (possibly 5 counting redshirt) player that will torment opposing Big Ten teams for the foreseeable future

As for the notion that he was lied to and made an awful decision, it is sad to see adults slander a kid and coach behind the cover of a computer because he simply did not do what they wanted. Sure...IU missed out on a recruit. IT HAPPENS. While many of you are very reasonable on here, some are just downright embarrassing. I encourage anyone who thinks he was lied to or made a bad decision to watch his post-redshirt announcement interview. He may be one of the most mature 18/19 year olds you ever hear speak. He clearly had the ultimate call on this decision and did what was in his best interest. He knows he plays for a really good team. He knows he likely does not see a lot of minutes. He also knows what he signed up for coming to Purdue. He will get to compete with some of the best every single day. He challenged himself coming to Purdue. Sure...he could have went to a dormant program and played a ton of minutes early (not a dig at IU, but a comment in general), but does that help him develop and become the caliber of player he wants to be? Likely not. Again...he did what was in his best interest.

I am sure most IU fans were disappointed when Woodson was hired. Everyone thought they would land Stevens, Beard, Donovan, or maybe even Phil Jackson. However, I think Woodson will turn out to be a really good hire that will return IU to Big Ten relevance in the near future. Instead of bashing a kid's decision because he did not choose you, look towards the future. I think there is potentially a lot to be excited about in Bloomington.

Reactions: mathboy and Viguy
o understand this situation, you have to look no further than Purdue's roster. Purdue has two really good players at the 5 and two very solid players at the 4. Kaufman was behind due to offseason injuries and simply would have struggled to see significant minutes. Could he have carved out a bigger role as the season progressed? Possibly. However, why burn a year of eligibility playing 6-8 minutes a game?
But Painter told him he would play the three .... so who you have at four and five shouldn't matter.

Unless Painter was lying to a recruit?

Reactions: jimmygoiu
To understand this situation, you have to look no further than Purdue's roster. Purdue has two really good players at the 5 and two very solid players at the 4. Kaufman was behind due to offseason injuries and simply would have struggled to see significant minutes. Could he have carved out a bigger role as the season progressed? Possibly. However, why burn a year of eligibility playing 6-8 minutes a game?

Kaufman has acknowledged that, in order to make it in the NBA, he will need to develop into a stretch 3. With a year of development via the redshirt, he can begin to see minutes at this position. He will also see more time at the 4 with Trevion Williams gone. Furst will likely have to play 8-12 minutes a game at the 5. That will allow Kaufman to slide into those minutes. Furst will also have to sit at times, freeing up more minutes. While he will have to contend with Gillis, I would say 25 minutes a game next season is very reasonable. Possibly more depending on his development at the 3.

I am not sure why people are all under the impression that he is supposed to be a two year and done type of player. Kaufman was the #40-ish recruit in his class. There are only 30 NBA teams and two rounds in a draft. I think in the latest espn mock, something like 9 first round picks were not even coming from college teams. Do you realize how hard it is to be a first round pick and/or get guaranteed money? Kaufman will be a 3 or 4 year (possibly 5 counting redshirt) player that will torment opposing Big Ten teams for the foreseeable future

As for the notion that he was lied to and made an awful decision, it is sad to see adults slander a kid and coach behind the cover of a computer because he simply did not do what they wanted. Sure...IU missed out on a recruit. IT HAPPENS. While many of you are very reasonable on here, some are just downright embarrassing. I encourage anyone who thinks he was lied to or made a bad decision to watch his post-redshirt announcement interview. He may be one of the most mature 18/19 year olds you ever hear speak. He clearly had the ultimate call on this decision and did what was in his best interest. He knows he plays for a really good team. He knows he likely does not see a lot of minutes. He also knows what he signed up for coming to Purdue. He will get to compete with some of the best every single day. He challenged himself coming to Purdue. Sure...he could have went to a dormant program and played a ton of minutes early (not a dig at IU, but a comment in general), but does that help him develop and become the caliber of player he wants to be? Likely not. Again...he did what was in his best interest.

I am sure most IU fans were disappointed when Woodson was hired. Everyone thought they would land Stevens, Beard, Donovan, or maybe even Phil Jackson. However, I think Woodson will turn out to be a really good hire that will return IU to Big Ten relevance in the near future. Instead of bashing a kid's decision because he did not choose you, look towards the future. I think there is potentially a lot to be excited about in Bloomington.
Painter lied. Kaufman made a big mistake. Hope he transfers out next year. By the way, Edey continues to be listed in mock drafts,
So you might be losing both Williams and Edey.

Painter lied. Kaufman made a big mistake. Hope he transfers out next year. By the way, Edey continues to be listed in mock drafts,
So you might be losing both Williams and Edey.
Yes I have seen that. If it happens, that means he had himself a heck of a season. That likely translates to success for the Boilers, so hopefully it comes to fruition. Would also create more playing time for Kaufman. What a great problem for the Boilers that IU fans seem fixated on.

Yes I have seen that. If it happens, that means he had himself a heck of a season. That likely translates to success for the Boilers, so hopefully it comes to fruition. Would also create more playing time for Kaufman. What a great problem for the Boilers that IU fans seem fixated on.
Or the Boilers are mediocre like last year and then lose all those players. Then Kaufman transfers because he was lied to and disrespected.

Man would that be terrible to see 😂

But Painter told him he would play the three .... so who you have at four and five shouldn't matter.

Unless Painter was lying to a recruit?
I would say DEVELOP him into a 3 is more accurate. Next season, Kaufman plays some 4 and some 3 as the Boilers still have Edey on the roster. This allows Kaufman to contribute while continuing to develop at the 3 position. The following season, you have Furst starting at the 5, Gillis at the 4, and Kaufman at the 3. That has the makings of a potentially scary lineup for opposing Big Ten teams as there are endless lineup combos that the Boilers could use depending on the matchup. Coach Painter has assembled some serious talent in West Lafayette.

What a smart decision by Kaufman. His interview on the decision shows how much thought he puts into everything. He’ll really benefit from this in the long run. Basically adding a top 50 recruit to the 2022 class now

Reactions: Viguy
What a smart decision by Kaufman. His interview on the decision shows how much thought he puts into everything. He’ll really benefit from this in the long run. Basically adding a top 50 recruit to the 2022 class now
That must make you feel better about that terrible class.

He made a big mistake. Especially considering the lack of NIL opportunities at Purdue.

He made a big mistake. Especially considering the lack of NIL opportunities at Purdue.
Loved the class even before the redshirt. Knowing how your takes usually go it must be better than I thought

Heide and Loyer are top 150, 4* players on rivals. Braden Smith was offered by Woodson, grew up a big IU fan, and still chose Purdue. Now you add Kaufman, a top 40 recruit by most recruiting websites. Sounds like a really solid class to me.

As for Kaufman, based on his interview I would say he is very happy with his decision. Same cannot be said about you. I will leave you with a few quotes from Kaufman's interview.

"I'm the type of person who likes to plan," he said. "I can just see how much better I'm going to get by the time next year rolls around."

"It was just figuring out what role you want to have, whether that's this year or next year," Kaufman-Renn said. "I don't really have an ego about redshirting or anything like that. I get to have the opportunity to spend a whole year to get to know some of the guys who'll come back next year, but also the schemes and the plays. I can continue to work on my strengths, but also focus in on some of the weaknesses that I have."

"Anything I can do, whether it's bringing people water, giving a high-five, whatever I can do to help this team win."

This is why Purdue has absolutely owned IU recently. Its the type of player Painter recruits and the type of player that chooses to come to Purdue. I think Woodson will use a similar model and go after the same type of guys. Hopefully the Hoosier faithful are patient and give him a chance. If so, I think they will return to relevance in the near future.

Good luck this season. I enjoyed this back and forth thoroughly.

It’s the type of class that won’t go 4-24 from deep against a bottom tier MAC school 😂😂😂😂

also think there’s only been 1 loss for Purdue in the rivalry since that period you chose
3*** that class was there for the 37 point beat down in Mackey followed by the 28 point beat down in AH.

It is the type of class that will lose to North Texas and Arkansas Little Rock.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Heide and Loyer are top 150, 4* players on rivals. Braden Smith was offered by Woodson, grew up a big IU fan, and still chose Purdue. Now you add Kaufman, a top 40 recruit by most recruiting websites. Sounds like a really solid class to me.

As for Kaufman, based on his interview I would say he is very happy with his decision. Same cannot be said about you. I will leave you with a few quotes from Kaufman's interview.

"I'm the type of person who likes to plan," he said. "I can just see how much better I'm going to get by the time next year rolls around."

"It was just figuring out what role you want to have, whether that's this year or next year," Kaufman-Renn said. "I don't really have an ego about redshirting or anything like that. I get to have the opportunity to spend a whole year to get to know some of the guys who'll come back next year, but also the schemes and the plays. I can continue to work on my strengths, but also focus in on some of the weaknesses that I have."

"Anything I can do, whether it's bringing people water, giving a high-five, whatever I can do to help this team win."

This is why Purdue has absolutely owned IU recently. Its the type of player Painter recruits and the type of player that chooses to come to Purdue. I think Woodson will use a similar model and go after the same type of guys. Hopefully the Hoosier faithful are patient and give him a chance. If so, I think they will return to relevance in the near future.

Smith was not offered by Woodson lol. Heide and Loyer are both 100+ recruits.

Big mistake by Kaufman.

3*** that class was there for the 37 point beat down in Mackey followed by the 28 point beat down in AH.

It is the type of class that will lose to North Texas and Arkansas Little Rock.
2013 class was not there for that. Their freshman season there was only 1 meeting that year and the grad transfer sterling carter went off

2013 class was not there for that. Their freshman season there was only 1 meeting that year and the grad transfer sterling carter went off

Ah I thought I said 2012. Either way, that recruiting class almost cost Painter his job. You had finally turned a corner in recruiting. That’s probably just because of Shrewsberry though.

Really good class. All 3 shoot over 40% from deep. Loyer might be the best shooter in the class. I’m really high on Heide though. Up to 6’7 with a nice shot and plays above the rim well. Purdue hasn’t had that on the wing very often. add in the two redshirts, a top 50 in Kaufman + Waddell who’s ahead of schedule, and you got a lot to work with! Hopefully the 7ft kid from Sweden commits in December too and finishes off the class

Yes? Considering you likely lose Hunter, Ivey, Sasha, Trevion, and Edey, I’m not sure you want to add anyone else to that list.
My point was- He is not going to be able to contribute much this year. He is staying and my guess is that academics is also playing a role. This gives him more time to spread his schedule around. Great move as far as I am concerned.

My point was- He is not going to be able to contribute much this year. He is staying and my guess is that academics is also playing a role. This gives him more time to spread his schedule around. Great move as far as I am concerned.
Oh well that settles it then. MLA has spoken

Smith was not offered by Woodson lol. Heide and Loyer are both 100+ recruits.

Big mistake by Kaufman.
Heide was much higher before his injury. I'm also not one to judge a class before they get to college. Hard to complain about one of the best shooters on the country coming in though.

Heide was much higher before his injury. I'm also not one to judge a class before they get to college. Hard to complain about one of the best shooters on the country coming in though.
Loyer is a good shooter. He’s exactly like so many Purdue players before him.

Why would you as a PU fan post this here?
I come for the comic relief. Between your posts and those of the 10yr old Trojan, i just cannot stop laughing. I suppose the difference between you two is that you seem to really believe the things you say. No one, not even a 10 yr old, could believe what he posts.
BTW, good win the other night. I think you guys would make a solid/middling team in the MAC.

I come for the comic relief. Between your posts and those of the 10yr old Trojan, i just cannot stop laughing. I suppose the difference between you two is that you seem to really believe the things you say. No one, not even a 10 yr old, could believe what he posts.
BTW, good win the other night. I think you guys would make a solid/middling team in the MAC.
You guys lost to a bottom tier Big East team earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT