ADVERTISEMENT

Kaufman Redshirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. The answer to question 1 is development. Not all players develop at the same rate and have the same ceiling. Which leads me into my second point. You said Painter doesn't produce successful NBA players, but that's a little short sided. No knock on Purdue players, but how many NBA caliber players has Painter had? Almost every player Purdue has had has gotten better under Painter. But that doesn't mean they were NBA caliber player. I'd be curious who was an NBA caliber player Painter didn't develop.
Aaron Wheeler had NBA athleticism and a NBA body.

so your complaint is that Purdue is redshirting a player we desperately wanted, how is that a bad look for Kaufmann or Purdue? To me its a bad look for us
The bad look for us is more discussion (79 and still counting) about a Purdue player than one from IU after our season opening game with a new coach. That doesn't bode well here.

Shall we start another PU thread on an IU board? I already gave an answer to this redshirt situation so we can move on now.

JJ, Vince Edwards, Robbie Hummel. Literally every player outside of Moore hasn’t made it in the NBA.
JJ played for a bit, but doesn't have the outside shot and I think he was to early for his style. Vince isn't athletic enough, but has floated around. Hummel played a few years, but the ACL's cost him. It takes a special athlete or an elite skill to make it to the NBA. Painter doesn't have many of those. Carsen to short. Mathias has shot threes in the NBA. Hammons didn't have the motor.

Who has Purdue had that was the caliber of athlete of someone like OG or dipo? That's what it takes. Ivy might be the closest thing and he's been developed into a potential lotto pick.

Reactions: Bill4411
How so? Painter literally said it was kaufmans decision and Painter is supporting it. They looked at the pro's and con's together and discussed different options, but Painter didn't twist his arm or tell him what to do. So I guess, how did Painter "do it to kaufman"?
were you there? Porkchop also told Kaufman that he was playing him at the 3 spot,lol. I believe that Fatt Matt steered the"conversation" to the desired conclusion. Do you really believe that Kaufman went to broileeland to redshirt his freshman year? me neither..

JJ played for a bit, but doesn't have the outside shot and I think he was to early for his style. Vince isn't athletic enough, but has floated around. Hummel played a few years, but the ACL's cost him. It takes a special athlete or an elite skill to make it to the NBA. Painter doesn't have many of those. Carsen to short. Mathias has shot threes in the NBA. Hammons didn't have the motor.

Who has Purdue had that was the caliber of athlete of someone like OG or dipo? That's what it takes. Ivy might be the closest thing and he's been developed into a potential lotto pick.
That is not what it takes. Yogi, Morgan, Troy Williams, Cody Zeller, and DJ white all had/have solid NBA careers.

Ivey is a “potential lotto” pick based on hype and a VERY weak year for guards.

Probably better for you to just accept Kaufman made a mistake in picking Purdue and bow out.

were you there? Porkchop also told Kaufman that he was playing him at the 3 spot,lol. I believe that Fatt Matt steered the"conversation" to the desired conclusion. Do you really believe that Kaufman went to broileeland to redshirt his freshman year? me neither..
Hard to say how the conversation went, but yes, Painter said he would develop kaufman into a 3. He didn't promise him he'd play the 3 in year 1. Anyways, I've said what Painter has said and discussed how Painter handles redshirt. If you want to assume otherwise to help cope with the fact that kaufman went to Purdue and is redshirting and need to tell yourself Painter is a lier, go for it.

That is not what it takes. Yogi, Morgan, Troy Williams, Cody Zeller, and DJ white all had/have solid NBA careers.

Ivey is a “potential lotto” pick based on hype and a VERY weak year for guards.

Probably better for you to just accept Kaufman made a mistake in picking Purdue and bow out.
3 if those guys you listed are g league players at best and yogi is a comparable version to what present day Moore is. Zeller is a solid NBA player.

Ivy also has a lot of potential. Ja Morant type player. Can he be that good? Hard to say. Still developing. Why was it a mistake for kaufman? Because he's redshirting to get better? OK. Have fun this year.

I really don’t care why anyone cares who, on any team, Redshirts. Kaufman evidently is going to have limited impact on his team this season and will develop while not playing games this season. So what? Players do it all the time. To be honest, Kaufman would likely have limited minutes on IU’s roster too this season.

Reactions: IndyGlen
3 if those guys you listed are g league players at best and yogi is a comparable version to what present day Moore is. Zeller is a solid NBA player.

Ivy also has a lot of potential. Ja Morant type player. Can he be that good? Hard to say. Still developing. Why was it a mistake for kaufman? Because he's redshirting to get better? OK. Have fun this year.
It will be fun to revisit this when Kaufman leaves Purdue next year.

• Haha
I expect kids will be transferring in huge numbers every year from now on. I'm sure players will leave both IU and Purdue next year.....just all in the game.
Completely agree. Easy to see the transfer candidates on both teams.

You clowns down south never disappoint. TKR couldn’t get far enough away from your dumpster fire, so much so he’s willing to sit a year and play the long game. And now he’s itching to transfer? Savor that nail biting win against one of the worst teams in the country.
Why don't we ban these idiots....you could say far less and get banned at the sensitive gold and black.

You clowns down south never disappoint. TKR couldn’t get far enough away from your dumpster fire, so much so he’s willing to sit a year and play the long game. And now he’s itching to transfer? Savor that nail biting win against one of the worst teams in the country.
Not all IU fans are as dumb and blind as the ones on this board. There are a ton of reasonable ones too who realize what we’ve become. Optimism is high for this new staff though. All schools have wackos and unfortunately a ton of them are on here.

Gillis was promised the starting spot to start the year, so he decided not to transfer. Obviously that was prior to his DUI.

Lol. Painter doesn't promise spots. Gillis EARNED the starting spot prior to his DUI.

Maybe that's been the problem with IU ... stop chasing and promising things to recruits with stars next to their name and make them earn everything on the court. Then just be brutally honest with each player about their current development and what their opportunity to contribute will be.

When you do that, you end up with a loaded roster. One in which you have the luxury to redshirt a Top 40 recruit.

Getting old, staying old, and not needing a new shiny freshman to come to fill some void due to lack of development or poor recruiting in prior classes.

I hope we have the luxury to redshirt a Top 10 recruit soon :) And if we do -- it won't be because Painter lied to him and didn't follow through on a promise to start him.

This is how you build a program -- and not swap coaches every few years.

Lol. Painter doesn't promise spots. Gillis EARNED the starting spot prior to his DUI.

Maybe that's been the problem with IU ... stop chasing and promising things to recruits with stars next to their name and make them earn everything on the court. Then just be brutally honest with each player about their current development and what their opportunity to contribute will be.

When you do that, you end up with a loaded roster. One in which you have the luxury to redshirt a Top 40 recruit.

Getting old, staying old, and not needing a new shiny freshman to come to fill some void due to lack of development or poor recruiting in prior classes.

I hope we have the luxury to redshirt a Top 10 recruit soon :) And if we do -- it won't be because Painter lied to him and didn't follow through on a promise to start him.

This is how you build a program -- and not swap coaches every few years.
Well we don’t have to worry about you getting a top 10 recruit considering Painter said Purdue will not be engaged in NIL activities. We will be seeing a lot more classes like your 2022 class from now on.

girlfriend, more alcohol intake, new hobby, getting your own apartment.
just saved you much coin from self-enhancement seminar.

your welcome and good luck on your new beginnings.
I don’t think my wife would like the idea of a new Girlfriend, more alcohol, or a new apartment.

You’re*

Well we don’t have to worry about you getting a top 10 recruit considering Painter said Purdue will not be engaged in NIL activities. We will be seeing a lot more classes like your 2022 class from now on.

That would be your takeaway from my post.

Isn’t it crazy to think about when the 2022 class graduates the streak of consecutive wins will be at 20 and IU will be on their next coaching staff?

Painter discusses NIL with all recruits and Purdue offers a NIL class to its athletes to help them maximize NIL. Gibbs-Lawhorn said NIL is a big reason why he's high on Purdue.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Painter discusses NIL with all recruits and Purdue offers a NIL class to its athletes to help them maximize NIL. Gibbs-Lawhorn said NIL is a big reason why he's high on Purdue.
Do you have a link to those GL comments? Painter said in his radio show last week Purdue would not be engaging in NIL activities.

Do you have a link to those GL comments? Painter said in his radio show last week Purdue would not be engaging in NIL activities.
It's paid content in a GBI interview, so not right off. Maybe it was a rivals at large interview? Not sure. Pretty sure some current players have participated in NIL. It's hard to believe Painter wouldn't allow it.

Also not sure how big of an impact it will have when all is said and done.

It's paid content in a GBI interview, so not right off. Maybe it was a rivals at large interview? Not sure. Pretty sure some current players have participated in NIL. It's hard to believe Painter wouldn't allow it.

Also not sure how big of an impact it will have when all is said and done.
I have access to paid GBI content, so feel free to send the link.

I never said Painter wouldn’t allow it, but he said they aren’t going to be engaged in pushing it like most other schools are.

You are already seeing the effects as you’ve already lost Jalen Washington due to NIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT