ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings

At this point I’m just trying to figure out What determines a player with high floor and low ceiling? And what makes Purdues recruiting mediocre.

Also, what else is there to do this offseason? Purdue and iu football are fairly large unknowns and not a lot of discussion on either. So….
So....you'll be figuring a long time

Purdue might have the best guards in the country with Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Harris and Cox,
Hoh boy... I guess you missed the NC game where your starting and returning backcourt was thoroughly dominated and outplayed? I know UConn's backcourt is gone, but so is Zach and many, many of their open shots, easy assists, etc... I could understand if you said conference, but country? C'mon Man...

Last edited:
History is history, there is no doubt of that.

But you have history as well. I recall clearly your predictions that Purdue would NEVER make a Final Four and that Edey would not be drafted and never play in the NBA. At this time and it is a very short few days to the NBA Draft, Edey is listed in mock drafts on ESPN.com and CBSSports.com as a first-rounder and possible lottery pick. Your first two are clearly wrong at this point and I cannot recall a first-round/lottery pick who did not play in the NBA so the third is not looking good for you.

Your history of prediction leaves something to be desired; and please do not pretend that you didn't very publicly make those predictions. History is history.
PU has been to one final four since 1980: I'll give you that. I'm still batting about .999.

I stated that Edey pulled himself out of the draft last year for a reason: that speaks for itself. He very well may not have been drafted last year. My position has been he'll suck in the NBA, and I'm certainly not alone. I never said he wouldn't get drafted. I don't think he can take the refs with him, which won't help his cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
PU has been to one final four since 1980: I'll give you that. I'm still batting about .999.

I stated that Edey pulled himself out of the draft last year for a reason: that speaks for itself. He very well may not have been drafted last year. My position has been he'll suck in the NBA, and I'm certainly not alone. I never said he wouldn't get drafted. I don't think he can take the refs with him, which won't help his cause.
Pretty sure you said he wouldn’t play in the NBA and that was your motto for a while

• Haha

We won’t know until Thursday but I think he’s moving up draft boards not down - nobody knows for sure obviously because GMs aren’t gonna be truthful about what they are gonna do.

That doesn’t really tell me anything. I looked at it. I see 5 different types of players who all should be pretty good. Can you go more in detail?
I think the proper phrase here starts with, "you can a lead a horse to water".....

We won’t know until Thursday but I think he’s moving up draft boards not down - nobody knows for sure obviously because GMs aren’t gonna be truthful about what they are gonna do.
He's going to get drafted in the 1st round, but how he's valued by teams fluctuates quite a bit. Some teams wouldn't consider him in the 1st because he's a bad fit. The Pacers wouldn't even take him in the 2nd round. He couldn't play in their offense. I suspect some team will look at him like McDaniel looked at Tim Tebow and draft him earlier than any other team was even thinking about it. He's enormous, can score, rebound, and shoot FT's. Can he do anything else at an NBA level? Remains to be seen, but if he goes to the right team and gets a defined role on their 2nd unit, then could last in the NBA a decade.

Not at all what I said, no. The comments being reference were in regards to one specific time. Every time he had gotten a wild hair, he ultimately stuck around though. He seems to be an emotional guy. Not a bad thing though. If he can learn to control it, he has a chance to be a really good player. Hope it works out for him!

What I can say is he made a decision. Not sure it was a good decision, but that’s my opinion. Hard to say with certainty. But he’s not at Purdue and Purdue will be fine as they return some good players and seem to have 5 quality freshmen coming in.
I will say this. Coach Painter's reaction to Catchings wanting out was admirable. Leaders can't act publicly like the sky is falling. CP reassured his fan base that it's gonna be alright.

He's going to get drafted in the 1st round, but how he's valued by teams fluctuates quite a bit. Some teams wouldn't consider him in the 1st because he's a bad fit. The Pacers wouldn't even take him in the 2nd round. He couldn't play in their offense. I suspect some team will look at him like McDaniel looked at Tim Tebow and draft him earlier than any other team was even thinking about it. He's enormous, can score, rebound, and shoot FT's. Can he do anything else at an NBA level? Remains to be seen, but if he goes to the right team and gets a defined role on their 2nd unit, then could last in the NBA a decade.
I'd guess somewhere between 20-30 as a luxury pick to a well established team. Can't draft a player whose ceiling is rotational player at best inside the lottery.

I'd guess somewhere between 20-30 as a luxury pick to a well established team. Can't draft a player whose ceiling is rotational player at best inside the lottery.
I agree, and so do most NBA GM's. However, and I used the Tebow example earlier, I think some GM will see him as more than that and he goes 5-10 picks earlier than he otherwise would've gone.

I'll add to that thought: Jokic was a 2nd round pick. He couldn't do then what he does now, and his improvement has been crazy. If, and its a huge IF, but if Edey developed a legit 3 point shot then he'd be a totally different player. If he shows he can defend the pick and roll out to the 3 point line, he's a totally different player. I don't think he will ever be able to do those things, but it only takes 1 GM to believe they can get him there, and shoot their shot in the lottery.

Last edited:
I can't think of another player in the NBA like Edey, which doesn't bode well for him. He's also slow, can't guard anything other than the bucket, and has no offensive game outside of the post. The NBA game is faster, has moved away from post players, there is defensive 3 seconds, and the refs are going to be way different. I'm not seeing him doing much of anything in the NBA.

I can't think of another player in the NBA like Edey, which doesn't bode well for him. He's also slow, can't guard anything other than the bucket, and has no offensive game outside of the post. The NBA game is faster, has moved away from post players, there is defensive 3 seconds, and the refs are going to be way different. I'm not seeing him doing much of anything in the NBA.
Shaq is the best reference point imo. Could Shaq be as effective as he was in today's NBA? I don't think he'd have nearly the impact now as he had then.

I agree, and so do most NBA GM's. However, and I used the Tebow example earlier, I think some GM will see him as more than that and he goes 5-10 picks earlier than he otherwise would've gone.

I'll add to that thought: Jokic was a 2nd round pick. He couldn't do then what he does now, and his improvement has been crazy. If, and its a huge IF, but if Edey developed a legit 3 point shot then he'd be a totally different player. If he shows he can defend the pick and roll out to the 3 point line, he's a totally different player. I don't think he will ever be able to do those things, but it only takes 1 GM to believe they can get him there, and shoot their shot in the lottery.
Only thing helping Edey is that this is quite possibly the worst draft in the history of the event. I mean it's terrible. Problem with drafting Edey that high is even if he accomplishes all those things of the offensive end, he still has to play defense on the other end. Edey playing 35 mpg isn't conducive to winning basketball in my opinion. You saw a freshman JHS who is a back end, seldom used rotation player for a mediocre team absolute blow up Edey's drop coverage two different times. Imagine what high end NBA guards are going to do to him?

Shaq is the best reference point imo. Could Shaq be as effective as he was in today's NBA? I don't think he'd have nearly the impact now as he had then.
Shaq also let himself go as his career progressed...because he could. Shaq coming out of college would dominate in today's game. 10x more athletic than Edey. Shaq could face up and dribble in his early years with the Magic. Edey could never do that.

I think the proper phrase here starts with, "you can a lead a horse to water".....
You haven’t led a horse. I asked a very specific question and you told me to look at Purdues class. How is that leading a horse? Againn, I look at Purdues class and see 5 good, but very different players.

But that recruit wasn't make or break for purdue. It was a 15 minute a game backup this coming season.
You don't know that. Quit making shit up ..

A first round prospect vs an uncoordinated 1 dunk spaz ... either could have started.

Shaq also let himself go as his career progressed...because he could. Shaq coming out of college would dominate in today's game. 10x more athletic than Edey. Shaq could face up and dribble in his early years with the Magic. Edey could never do that.
I'm only referencing Shaq based on their size, power, and inside game. Shaq was definitely better, way more athletic, and more explosive. However, I disagree and don't Shaq would not dominate in today's game. Is Shaq guarding Jokic and Porzingis at the 3 point line? Is Shaq able to play for run and gun teams like the Pacers or Warriors? Shaq is not an MVP candidate in today's NBA. It's a much different game. That means it will be that much harder on Edey to be more than a role player in the NBA.

I'm only referencing Shaq based on their size, power, and inside game. Shaq was definitely better, way more athletic, and more explosive. However, I disagree and don't Shaq would not dominate in today's game. Is Shaq guarding Jokic and Porzingis at the 3 point line? Is Shaq able to play for run and gun teams like the Pacers or Warriors? Shaq is not an MVP candidate in today's NBA. It's a much different game. That means it will be that much harder on Edey to be more than a role player in the NBA.
If he took conditioning, development and diet seriously... like most teams would demand ... he probably could. I think many have forgotten how agile and quick he was early in his career ... he wasn't just tall, like Edey.

Last edited:
Shaq coming out of LSU would have been the best rim runner in the game; Shaq at 30 in LA with an MVP and multiple titles to his name, not so much.

Reactions: T.M.P.
You don't know that. Quit making shit up ..

A first round prospect vs an uncoordinated 1 dunk spaz ... either could have started.
This whole board has said he meant so much, but I'm not allowed to say the alternate because idk? You have a lot of people to call out here.

But sure. 1 dunk Spaz. Heidi was a top 40 recruit prior to his foot injury. Dropped while hurt. So I guess he was really good before dropping because he couldn't play. Catching is projected 1st rounder because of his potential, not what he is. I'm sure you thought Ivey was bad coming in as well because he wasn't a projected 1st? Such a joke of a metric.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT