ADVERTISEMENT

Kaanan Carlyle

Not me, as a shooter anyway, at 35%, that's an average shooter. Miller Kopp could do that, and IMO he was about where above average to good began, not great.

38%+? Sure, I'll take it! Seems like a little difference, but great ones do 40. Even with today's better defense of it and higher volume. Steve Alford and Jay Edwards would've today... They did 45-50 (In their day it was closer, and wasn't volume though.)
Volume is the key. You guys want good shooters but need to understand that most volume shooters are under 40%.

Not me, as a shooter anyway, at 35%, that's an average shooter. Miller Kopp could do that, and IMO he was about where above average to good began, not great.

38%+? Sure, I'll take it! Seems like a little difference, but great ones do 40. Even with today's better defense of it and higher volume. Steve Alford and Jay Edwards would've today... They did 45-50 (In their day it was closer, and wasn't volume though.)
Miller Kopp shot 44% from 3 his last season at Indiana. Debunking that myth that shooters can’t function in Woodsons offense. (He also raised his % from 36 the previous season.) Last years roster didn’t have enough shooting. They need to fix it this offseason. I will wait until the roster is final before I criticize it.

He’s a narrative drive argument guy. If it fits his narrative. You new here?
Been around a little while. Just not real active until this year. Lots more self proclaimed geniuses that don’t understand basketball very well here then I remember.

Reactions: T.M.P.
How many 40% 3 point shooters actually exist per year? It’s a lower number than many realize. Especially volume guys. Look at Lance jones. He’s the volume guy on Purdue and he’s shooting it at 35%.

Here are the top 100 3 pt percentages and all above 40%

Sheppard at UK is top with 52% and he was 75/144 for the season. He shot his way into a lottery pick if he declares.

The qualifiers for this list are at the bottom.

Only 4 sites ranked him?
On 3 5 star
Rivals 5 star
247 and espn 4 with 26th lowest overall
ESPN. 4* plus the cutoff for a 5* is different. 2 sites do composite and both ranked him a 4. Regardless he was not projected a one and done.

Sheppard at UK is top with 52% and he was 75/144 for the season. He shot his way into a lottery pick if he declares.

The qualifiers for this list is at the bottom.
Now go look at who is left in the dance. Actually those rankings include all players. If you look at the volume rankings(which is what we are talking) those numbers get tight.

Last edited:

The qualifiers for this list is at the bottom.
Qualifier is 25 3PM for a season. That’s not volume shooting. That’s less than one a game. Some on this list might be volume shooters but many of them are not.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ESPN. 4* plus the cutoff for a 5* is different. 2 sites do composite and both ranked him a 4. Regardless he was not projected a one and done.
You are one that got crappy and said he wasn’t a 5 star. Sorry for showing you he was by multiple sites

Remember this argument started because you defended a poster that is saying it’s crazy to expect Carlyle to improve because CJ Gunn and Kaleb Banks didn’t…….. 😬
No I was just jumping in to show we haven’t seen much improvement in guards under woody. Which is true

The qualifiers for this list are at the bottom.
For example Will Tschetter is #2 on this list. He attempted 54 3s for the season. Less than 2 per game.

Qualifier is 25 3PM for a season. That’s not volume shooting. That’s less than one a game. Some on this list might be volume shooters but many of them are not.
I understand that and was the reason I pointed out the qualifiers but the question was-

“How many 40% 3 point shooters actually exist per year?”

So the answer is far more than a hundred this year.

Then it was added

“ It’s a lower number than many realize. Especially volume guys.”

If you give me a definition of volume guys I will try to find the number.

I don’t know how who is left in the tournament even comes into it. Just trying to answer a question of fact.
Now go look at who is left in the dance. Actually those rankings include all players. If you look at the volume rankings(which is what we are talking) those numbers get tight.

For some reason this list excludes players that have good volume.

Sheppard 75/144 for season and Dillingham 64/144 not included but many like slajcert included that was 57/135.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I understand that and was the reason I pointed out the qualifiers but the question was-

Then it was added

I don’t know how who is left in the tournament even comes into it. Just trying to answer a question of fact.

Sheppard 75/144 for season and Dillingham 64/144 not included but many like slajcert included that was 57/135.
I got you. It’s hard picking them out. Bottom line it’s very difficult to be 40% plus volume shooter. 5 or more a game at 40% is elite of elite. It’s ridiculous to expect a team full of them. Only one team left who has elite volume. It’s hard to win that way. I bet to beat UConn Alabama must hit 15 plus. I bet they throw up 35 attempts.

Reactions: CriticArisen

Then it was added

That’s fair

Volume is the key. You guys want good shooters but need to understand that most volume shooters are under 40%.
3pt shooting percentage fluctuates wildly in NCAA basketball. A couple good or bad games can move it drastically.. especially at low volume.

Makes per game, makes per 40, is a better indicator .. fwiw these guys don't really understand much. Especially if you have to explain simple basketball to them ...

Plus, how they can shoot matters .... off the bounce, off the cut and moving, or just catch and shoot. Catch and shoots have lower volume but tend to have better %. The more ways a player can shoot tends to equal more attempts .. doh.

3pt shooting percentage fluctuates wildly in NCAA basketball. A couple good or bad games can move it drastically.. especially at low volume.

Makes per game, makes per 40, is a better indicator .. fwiw these guys don't really understand much. Especially if you have to explain simple basketball to them ...

Plus, how they can shoot matters .... off the bounce, off the cut and moving, or just catch and shoot. Catch and shoots have lower volume but tend to have better %. The more ways a player can shoot tends to equal more attempts .. doh.
Yes. Like if a player off the bounce hits at 35%. I’d take him over a set shot 40% guy.

Volume is not the key. We'll, let's find out. Alabama is 4th in the nation in 3pa per game. UConn is 100th.

Volume is not the key. We'll, let's find out. Alabama is 4th in the nation in 3pa per game. UConn is 100th.
You are misunderstanding. Volume is a key stat in the argument. Go back and study the thread first.

Yes. Like if a player off the bounce hits at 35%. I’d take him over a set shot 40% guy.
I'd just say that when you set screens for shooters, they start hitting at a higher rate and move to get into shooting rhythm when they understand how to play off of screens. Really simple concept I learned from RMK.

The key is stressing the defense. You build an offense to dissect defenses that try to stop individual skill sets.

Sure, but it's not always about variance. Definately not only. Some of those shooters we aren't allowed to count in 'how many can hit 40' may be excellent and consistent. But we can't include them because without the eye test also, you're not sure?

What if a guy functioned in Woody's offense last year and made 40 percent, (or as someone pointed out Miller Kopp) but by what you're looking for not enough volume to prove he's consistent.
That wouldn't be fair just because you don't know for sure.

I'm not asking for a volume shooter hitting a good percentage 'off the hop'. That's a star .
I'd like Coach to at least get one or two bench guys who can come in and shoot two or three a game. A bad game they each hit one of three, good game they each hit two out of four or five . In lower volume they should be able to get looks in lower minutes, they don't have to be creators. Just pure shooters. If the offense at least sets them up sometime, doesn't have to be primarily.

I'd just say that when you set screens for shooters, they start hitting at a higher rate and move to get into shooting rhythm when they understand how to play off of screens. Really simple concept I learned from RMK.

The key is stressing the defense. You build an offense to dissect defenses that try to stop individual skill sets.
🥴 you didn’t go back and read the argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT