ADVERTISEMENT

Kaanan Carlyle

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
Atlanta kid, looks like a solid top 10 B1G conference pg potentially. On a scale of single, double, triple, HR, Grandslam in additions this off season, I'd like to think he would be a triple. Tucker a HR. Probably not any grand slams, but Carlyle sounds like he could be a nice addition. Perkins would be a HR IMHO, but not following the movements as much so not sure what he is going to do. Would love to add Caryle and see if he'd start next season.

Would be nice to get ome of him Walker or Perkins. Obviously Perkins has longest track record but would be a 1 year stop gap. Walker qould have 2 and Carlyle 3 years remaing so advantages to any of them

Reactions: kkott and GOSHOE71
He would be exciting. Only a sophomore and he had some huge games where he scored around 30 (against WSU and Arizona, so good opponents). Not too efficient, but I assume he is learning the college game.

Would be nice to get ome of him Walker or Perkins. Obviously Perkins has longest track record but would be a 1 year stop gap. Walker qould have 2 and Carlyle 3 years remaing so advantages to any of them
I think Carlyle is more proven than Walker. I just think Walker will give IU a quick ball handler but will be overwhelmed at IU and Gunn/Bates it.

Reactions: edub72 and nichlee
I’d rather build with Kanaan than get a one year left guy like Perkins. Building something a little more long term would be nice. May not matter either way though.
I don't see why we shouldn't shoot for both. Perkins would start as the 1 and either Gallo or Carlyle start at the 2 and the other is first off the bench. If Woodson commits to 4 out 1 in, there's all of the 3's minutes to fill, X's minutes at the 1, and Gunn's minutes at the 2 that need to be filled in addition to fluctuating minutes from Leal or Cupps playing less. Tucker, Perkins, and Carlyle should fill those in nicely with leftover minutes at the 4/5 for the backup big (Amari Williams please).

I don't know his expectations but if we can convince Carlyle to take the reduction in minutes (he played 25.6) in exchange for being a starting guard next season alongside Cupps I feel like this could work out nicely. Now obviously there's play with people playing out of position, injuries, foul trouble, but I think this is a reasonable outline of what the rotation could look like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tammany Hall
I’d rather build with Kanaan than get a one year left guy like Perkins. Building something a little more long term would be nice. May not matter either way though.
Shoots 32% from deep on 4.3 attempts per game. Not a shooter. Or, I guess I should say, he'd be about 80th in the conference with those numbers.
Perhaps he's a good on ball defender?

Reactions: CriticArisen
Shoots 32% from deep on 4.3 attempts per game. Not a shooter. Or, I guess I should say, he'd be about 80th in the conference with those numbers.
I’d have to look. Not sure.

Ya is hinting at something coming on twitter. Maybe Kanaan or Rice.

Little 500 isn't what it used to be. The university is more excited about the eclipse than Little 5 as far as I can tell.
It’s still pretty big. All week party now, not just two days. They don’t care that much about the races but the parties are still big.

Reactions: Indyhorn
I don't see why we shouldn't shoot for both. Perkins would start as the 1 and either Gallo or Carlyle start at the 2 and the other is first off the bench. If Woodson commits to 4 out 1 in, there's all of the 3's minutes to fill, X's minutes at the 1, and Gunn's minutes at the 2 that need to be filled in addition to fluctuating minutes from Leal or Cupps playing less. Tucker, Perkins, and Carlyle should fill those in nicely with leftover minutes at the 4/5 for the backup big (Amari Williams please).

I don't know his expectations but if we can convince Carlyle to take the reduction in minutes (he played 25.6) in exchange for being a starting guard next season alongside Cupps I feel like this could work out nicely. Now obviously there's play with people playing out of position, injuries, foul trouble, but I think this is a reasonable outline of what the rotation could look like.
I agree. Go for them both. Perkins is a hard- nosed driving type player like X. We need one of those.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He may play some but certainly not like last year. These portal guards who are highly ranked are not coming to sit on the bench.
But like it should be. Cupps should be the 1-2nd guard off the bench. I could see Gabe as an upper classmen having a solid career, even if its in this role.

So you're saying he's Woody's kind of player?
Have either of you actually watched him play or seen him shoot? No. Well it's obvious. Please quit talking out of your asses ... it makes you appear stupid.

His mechanics are fine, no glitches. He also has the ability to shoot 3s off the bounce and is very proficient in the mid game on pull ups. He's not purely a catch and shoot .. almost half of his shots came from 3pt range with only 2/3 coming from a pass. Kanaan also draws fouls at a good rate even though he doesn't get to the rim as much as you'd want. He may not be a pure shooter, but he is a scorer, and can shoot well enough teams have to play him honest.

It was also his freshman year, for a freshman his numbers are excellent. Which is probably why he's one of the most wanted guards in the portal.... Plus I guess neither of you realize this but in the game of basketball, players can improve, it happens all the time especially between fr and so year and it isn't against the rules...

Last edited:
Have either of you actually watched him play or seen him shoot? No. Well it's obvious. Please quit talking out of your asses ... it makes you appear stupid.

His mechanics are fine, no glitches. He also has the ability to shoot 3s off the bounce and is very proficient in the mid game on pull ups. He's not purely a catch and shoot .. almost half of his shots came from 3pt range with only 2/3 coming from a pass. Kanaan also draws fouls at a good rate even though he doesn't get to the rim as much as you'd want. He may not be a pure shooter, but he is a scorer, and can shoot well enough teams have to play him honest.

It was also his freshman year, for a freshman his numbers are excellent. Which is probably why he's one of the most wanted guards in the portal.... Plus I guess neither of you realize this but in the game of basketball, players can improve, it happens all the time especially between fr and so year and it isn't against the rules...
You mean like Gunn and Banks did? Hell yeah, Genius, sign him up!

Dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT