ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith

Nov 12, 2013
Justin, if you read this... be the dominant athlete you are and take over the game!!
Drive to the basket with AUTHORITY.
The other guys need to see your leadership.

Justin, if you read this... be the dominant athlete you are and take over the game!!
Drive to the basket with AUTHORITY.
The other guys need to see your leadership.

He's leading by playing D and taking what the D gives him. Him forcing things only leads to turnovers and bad shots. He's markedly improved this year by NOT forcing things. He just needs to amp up his effort and focus, but he's playing much better already. Get the ball to TJD whenever possible in the post. The guys who do that are also leading and that will make us better!

We need a Jordan hulls, Thomas bryant, or Vic mindset player on this team. Forget ability, I want a guy that hates to lose. That is smiths biggest flaw IMO, I would say me and several other posters are more mad after a loss and poor play.

We need a Jordan hulls, Thomas bryant, or Vic mindset player on this team. Forget ability, I want a guy that hates to lose. That is smiths biggest flaw IMO, I would say me and several other posters are more mad after a loss and poor play.

It really seems like there is virtually no passion on this team outside of flexing after a good play. I would LOVE to see one of the players get PISSED after a silly foul or a bad turnover. Hell, I would love to see one of them slam the ball down and get a T. At least that would show me some fire.

Put Buckner on this team and it would change tremendously. I am not talking about his basketball ability but just his leadership. He would DRAG this team along with him!

there are still many on this board who are speculating, hoping, praying for Smith to go the grad transfer route and leave after this season. While I find Smith most frustrating at times, I do believe he has turned a corner this year and is spending more energy on the positive impacts he can have in a game. For him to leave after this year would most definitely weaken the team next year. It's not like he's a bench rider, we're talking a 2 yr starter. This "I hope Smith leaves" attitude on this board is very misguided IMHO.

there are still many on this board who are speculating, hoping, praying for Smith to go the grad transfer route and leave after this season. While I find Smith most frustrating at times, I do believe he has turned a corner this year and is spending more energy on the positive impacts he can have in a game. For him to leave after this year would most definitely weaken the team next year. It's not like he's a bench rider, we're talking a 2 yr starter. This "I hope Smith leaves" attitude on this board is very misguided IMHO.
Smith is playing a lot better this year and we'll be better next year if he stays. He's playing good defense and rebounding and cleaning up the trash under the bucket. He's playing under control and he's helping IU be better. People are wrong when they think he should leave.

I did not perceive a "hope Smith leaves" flavor on the board. Maybe I do not read everything. If he could score he would be one of the best players in the country. As is, he is still super valuable to us. Stay at IU and pick up a masters in something.

Reactions: MrBing
I did not perceive a "hope Smith leaves" flavor on the board. Maybe I do not read everything. If he could score he would be one of the best players in the country. As is, he is still super valuable to us. Stay at IU and pick up a masters in something.
there have been several ( mostly those who disappear whenever IU wins) who are already speculating that he's leaving, without any actual evidence of it in the news.

Reactions: Sassy61 and JIMSHAM
Its been widely speculated on anorher board it is almost certain he will go grad transfer. Sounds like there are issues going on behind the scenes.

I believe those are the people who say every single issue with this team is due to players crean recruited. I find it to be the archie apologists who want to blame our issues on anyone but archie.

While I don't want him to leave, if I were betting, I would probably wager he does. Super smart kid who should have his degree and be eligible for a grad transfer. I've also heard from a very reliable person within the program that Smith despises Miller and is very open about it. I'm guessing this is part of why he seems so disengaged at times.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I believe those are the people who say every single issue with this team is due to players crean recruited. I find it to be the archie apologists who want to blame our issues on anyone but archie.
I believe you're wrong. I still support Archie and I also want Smith to remain on the team and I think most of the Archie supporting IU fans do too. He's become a very solid player and a valuable member of the team Archie is developing.

From an in-game view I agree with you that we shouldn't hope he leaves because of his game. There are some here who hate his game and want him to leave for that reason.

However, I've also read that he's a malcontent who half-asses it in practice and has little to no respect for the coaching staff. If this is true then it might be best he moves on. I don't know if it's true but I was surprised when he returned this year. His sophomore season he definitely seemed unhappy and his father was publicly complaining on social media. Daddy Smith isn't doing that this year but it doesn't mean they're both happy.

I just want IU to win. I think his play would help them next year and would love to have him back if the behind the scenes talk is wrong and he's actually bought in. If that other stuff is true, though, I wouldn't want another year of bad influence especially if that results an up and down team like we've seen this year.

Last edited:

Archie apologists = fans of the program who want IU to win every game and don't celebrate and gloat when the Hoosiers lose.

Its been widely speculated on anorher board it is almost certain he will go grad transfer. Sounds like there are issues going on behind the scenes.
sucks if that's true. will not make the team stronger next year. Hopefully the issues going on involves another player who is about to use up their eligibility.....without naming names....

From an in-game view I agree with you that we shouldn't hope he leaves because of his game. There are some here who hate his game and want him to leave for that reason.

However, I've also read that he's a malcontent who half-asses it in practice and has little to no respect for the coaching staff. If this is true then it might be best he moves on. I don't know if it's true but I was surprised when he returned this year. His sophomore season he definitely seemed unhappy and his father was publicly complaining on social media. Daddy Smith isn't doing that this year but it doesn't mean they're both happy.

I just want IU to win. I think his play would help them next year and would love to have him back if the behind the scenes talk is wrong and he's actually bought in. If that other stuff is true, though, I wouldn't want another year of bad influence especially if that results an up and down team like we've seen this year.
if all that is true (attitude at practice, etc...) then it's unfortunate and cannot go on.

Would give Hunter a huge opportunity next year, although his defense, while slowly improving, isn't close to where Smith is at. And Smith is stronger and can mix it up inside. But then again, Hunter has shown glimpses that he can be a better 3pt shooter than Smith ever will be. also more chances for Race.

Just makes front court much thinner with less fouls to spread around. We already lose Davis. Considering we don't presently have a Smith-like player coming in the 2020 class, losing him isn't good.

If it does happen, hopefully CAM can replace a grad transfer with another grad transfer to fill the hole.

sucks if that's true. will not make the team stronger next year. Hopefully the issues going on involves another player who is about to use up their eligibility.....without naming names....
Nope the other one is not a senior either. Anyway I thought people wanted the so called crean guys gone. Now im really confused.

Nope the other one is not a senior either. Anyway I thought people wanted the so called crean guys gone. Now im really confused.
i want the best players on the court, to give IU the best shot at winning. Doesn't matter two shits to me who recruited them.

Considering Damezi is racking up a pile of DNPs, I have to assume he'll have a new mailing address by August.

i want the best players on the court, to give IU the best shot at winning. Doesn't matter two shits to me who recruited them.

Considering Damezi is racking up a pile of DNPs, I have to assume he'll have a new mailing address by August.
Me either I just noticed when things go bad the its crean players excuse always come out from some people.

There are a bunch of cliches that apply here.

For one, we don't know what we don't know. We on this board don't know with certainty that Smith has been a problem.

However, where there's smoke there's fire. We've seen the team's disfunction over the last 3 years. Based on Smith's inconsistent play and general demeanor, and his father's pronouncements last year, one can logically conclude that Smith is part of the problem, not part of the solution. After all, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

We admittedly don't have anyone else with the potential of Smith to be a defensive stopper on those quick 6'6"-6'8" types; however, I see Smith's D, like DG's O, as a hit or miss proposition. He has a game against Iowa where he nearly shuts down Weiskamp.......then he lets a much less talented Willis from MD go off in the first half the other night.

Assuming Race and Hunter are back next year, it may be addition by subtraction. One 'potential' piece may be missing, but it feels like we've paid a high price trying to mine the potential of DG & JS.

if all that is true (attitude at practice, etc...) then it's unfortunate and cannot go on.

Would give Hunter a huge opportunity next year, although his defense, while slowly improving, isn't close to where Smith is at. And Smith is stronger and can mix it up inside. But then again, Hunter has shown glimpses that he can be a better 3pt shooter than Smith ever will be. also more chances for Race.

Just makes front court much thinner with less fouls to spread around. We already lose Davis. Considering we don't presently have a Smith-like player coming in the 2020 class, losing him isn't good.

If it does happen, hopefully CAM can replace a grad transfer with another grad transfer to fill the hole.
The thing is that no one really knows this to be true. Guy said he read it. Yes on a message board or from some supposed connected friend. Might be true, I have no idea but most of it on here is because Smith hasn't become the player they hoped.

The thing is that no one really knows this to be true. Guy said he read it. Yes on a message board or from some supposed connected friend. Might be true, I have no idea but most of it on here is because Smith hasn't become the player they hoped.
Yes, I have no direct knowledge, just rumors. Except for this dad's complaints last season, that did happen.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and ufo33

If what other posters are saying about him being a malcontent, it doesn't matter how talented a player is, he's hurting the team and you're better off without him if you can't reach him. You'd think after 2.5 years, that's been determined. If he's still badmouthing the coaching staff and not giving his all in practice, the team will be better without him. If those problems don't exist, then I agree with you.

If what other posters are saying about him being a malcontent, it doesn't matter how talented a player is, he's hurting the team and you're better off without him if you can't reach him. You'd think after 2.5 years, that's been determined. If he's still badmouthing the coaching staff and not giving his all in practice, the team will be better without him. If those problems don't exist, then I agree with you.
if all of it is true....and CAM is aware of it...why start him every game and give him 30 min? Knowing he's a malcontent who dogs it at practice and is a cancer to the team? That's why I'm giving Smith...and CAM...the benefit of the doubt....for now. If Smith does depart, and we learn after the fact that all this crap was true, then CAM has lost me for good. We'll see in a few months.

if all of it is true....and CAM is aware of it...why start him every game and give him 30 min? Knowing he's a malcontent who dogs it at practice and is a cancer to the team? That's why I'm giving Smith...and CAM...the benefit of the doubt....for now. If Smith does depart, and we learn after the fact that all this crap was true, then CAM has lost me for good. We'll see in a few months.

This.

I call bullshit on the malcontent narrative.

Smith has always been a whipping boy on social media. There ain't no way in hell Miller plays him the most minutes on the team if he's extremely disruptive.

No way in hell.

Smith's issue is that fans see athletic ability and equate it with Michael Jordan while having a hard time understanding that in reality he's more like Sam Thompson of OSU in skillset.

Smith has gotten much better at playing within himself. His turnovers are significantly down, he's not jacking up a crazy amount of bad shots, he's rebounding at a pretty good rate and he is one of our best defensive players. Even better he's making much less mental errors.

He still struggles with motor issues and probably always will but it's not as problematic as last year.

Overall he's a rock solid part of the rotation and should be next year if he stays.

If he does go we'll be fine also, just like OSU was when Sam Thompson graduated.

This.

Smith has always been a whipping boy on social media. There ain't no way in hell Miller plays him the most minutes on the team if he's extremely disruptive.

No way in hell.

Smith's issue is that fans see athletic ability and equate it with Michael Jordan while having a hard time understanding that in reality he's more like Sam Thompson of OSU in skillset.

Smith has gotten much better at playing within himself. His turnovers are significantly down, he's not jacking up a crazy amount of bad shots, he's rebounding at a pretty good rate and he is one of our best defensive players. Even better he's making much less mental errors.

He still struggles with motor issues and probably always will but it's not as problematic as last year.

Overall he's a rock solid part of the rotation and should be next year if he stays.

If he does go we'll be fine also, just like OSU was when Sam Thompson graduated.

Well said

Reactions: TommyCracker
This.

No way in hell.

Well the guy who said he was is very well sourced and has a great track record. He has connections in the program but I guess he is making it up!!!

Well the guy who said he was is very well sourced and has a great track record. He has connections in the program but I guess he is making it up!!!

And Billy Donovan was seen in Bloomington and people believed it when he was literally running a Thunder practice that day.

Point being, anyone can post whatever they want on the internet.

This.

No way in hell.

Man, I've been pretty critical of Justin Smith in the past, but I can honestly say in thinking of his athleticism and abilities, MJ is not a player that has ever remotely crossed my mind. Frankly, I think his athleticism is overrated as it really amounts to being able to jump high. He's not particularly quick of foot or off the ground or with the ball for an athletic guy. I also agree that the malcontent stuff doesn't make a lot of sense. With our backcourt and Green were pretty limited, but in his spot, we do have Hunter or Thompson or could even go small with Franklin or Anderson (remember him?) if he was disruptive to the team. I just think he's a mild-mannered guy, like so many of our guys. I wish one of these guys had a little fire to them and was a leader.

And Billy Donovan was seen in Bloomington and people believed it when he was literally running a Thunder practice that day.

Point being, anyone can post whatever they want on the internet.
Thats fine believe what you want. We will know either way soon enough.

This.

No way in hell.

The addition by subtraction narrative is getting old.

first it was everyone beating on rob johnson and newkirk. They were frequently labeled as the worst senior backcourt in the history of IU basketball. We were assured that just them leaving would fix everything (shooting in particular).

next it was Romeo, and even Morgan. Morgan to a much lesser degree (people questioning his leadership), but Romeo was often speculated as being a “chemistry “ problem.

Now it’s Green of course. And even smith.

Funny thing is all of these guys play. Either they are all major problems and Miller is clueless, he doesn’t care, the inmates are running the asylum.....or, the fans are just wrong.

either way, after last season I expected the intangibles to factor us big time this year. I expected us to play with something to prove, United, focused, etc. that clearly hasn’t been the case. There’s still time. Either way, it’s getting kind of old to hear about all these problem players, and how things will be better once they’re gone. At some point it should all be on the coach.

Thats fine believe what you want. We will know either way soon enough.

Maybe your friend is right but, I just have a hard time believing a kid who is a good player but not a great player, one who is seen constantly talking and encouraging Hunter, Race and TJD even though they are direct competition for his playing time, a kid who does community volunteer work in the off season and a kid that's an academic all American in the process of graduating from Kelley is a malcontent.

He's not Romeo to the point that he's a player who is bigger than the coach.

He's not Green who, if you can get him focused can put up 25 to 30 points and be a difference maker so you don't want to kill him completely.

He's a player who has solid competition at his position.

So if he's being constantly disruptive I refuse to believe he'd be one of our leading minute guys.

A lot of people don't like Smith. I believe it's because of his motor, his mediocre offensive skills and that a higher rated recruit is seen as competing with him for minutes (last year Romeo and this year Hunter).

I am rooting for Archie to succeed here and I hope Smith stays. If there is an issue off the court between him and Archie then maybe he should transfer but I hope it doesn't happen. Also if there was an issue why didn't he leave like CuJo. So one must wonder if any of this is really true. Smith has some inefficiencies in his game offensively that need improved on but he is certainly an asset to this team. I would expect if he is graduating early he could just head for the G League. If he develops a jumper then he could have a shot at the NBA as a 3 and D player.

Maybe your friend is right but, I just have a hard time believing a kid who is a good player but not a great player, one who is seen constantly talking and encouraging Hunter, Race and TJD even though they are direct competition for his playing time, a kid who does community volunteer work in the off season and a kid that's an academic all American in the process of graduating from Kelley is a malcontent.

He's not Romeo to the point that he's a player who is bigger than the coach.

He's not Green who, if you can get him focused can put up 25 to 30 points and be a difference maker so you don't want to kill him completely.

He's a player who has solid competition at his position.

So if he's being constantly disruptive I refuse to believe he'd be one of our leading minute guys.

A lot of people don't like Smith. I believe it's because of his motor, his mediocre offensive skills and that a higher rated recruit is seen as competing with him for minutes (last year Romeo and this year Hunter).

I think part of the problem is Smith's on-court demeanor. But not just him, it's most of the team. A lot of these guys look way-too-chill while playing. Maybe, as fans, we're all in need of some more cheerleading/fist-pumping (ala Coverdale or Luke Recker). Smith pulls off that awesome inbounds dunk against UConn, and has the same expression on his face as he does sitting on the bench. Rob P too...some of these guys just seem to be zombies out there. Win or lose, they don't seem to get anywhere near as pissed off as we do on this board. And I think that grinds a lot of us the wrong way.

The addition by subtraction narrative is getting old.

first it was everyone beating on rob johnson and newkirk. They were frequently labeled as the worst senior backcourt in the history of IU basketball. We were assured that just them leaving would fix everything (shooting in particular).

next it was Romeo, and even Morgan. Morgan to a much lesser degree (people questioning his leadership), but Romeo was often speculated as being a “chemistry “ problem.

Now it’s Green of course. And even smith.

Funny thing is all of these guys play. Either they are all major problems and Miller is clueless, he doesn’t care, the inmates are running the asylum.....or, the fans are just wrong.

either way, after last season I expected the intangibles to factor us big time this year. I expected us to play with something to prove, United, focused, etc. that clearly hasn’t been the case. There’s still time. Either way, it’s getting kind of old to hear about all these problem players, and how things will be better once they’re gone. At some point it should all be on the coach.

Of course, this is all true. But you know what else is getting old? Not making the tournament. It's often said winning fixes everything and I'm confident it will fix a lot of the whining. And that is a totally fair and legit criticism, imo. Unbelievable that we're going on what, 5 years of possibly not making the tournament? Never won the B10 tourney and made the finals once? There is a problem, and while it might not all be the players, and not all be the coach, it should be 100% unacceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT