ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith lane comments...

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
Jake Query just played a Smith comment made after the game. This isn't verbatim, but the gist was: I was really surprised how easy it was to get to the rim a couple of times with no defense, to be honest. It just felt really weird to me, but you just take what they give you.

How in the holy hell is that even possible? A 6-foot guard with average quickness and speed literally owning the lane against a very tall frontline...over and over. Damning to say the least.

Yeah....but, the basket is in Mackey...on Keady Court...so really, we didn't "give" him anything...it was already his, right? So......there's that.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Jake Query just played a Smith comment made after the game. This isn't verbatim, but the gist was: I was really surprised how easy it was to get to the rim a couple of times with no defense, to be honest. It just felt really weird to me, but you just take what they give you.

How in the holy hell is that even possible? A 6-foot guard with average quickness and speed literally owning the lane against a very tall frontline...over and over. Damning to say the least.
Hes talking shit. Dont be so gullible

Smith has better than average speed and quickness. But the real reason is we don’t play great team defense, and have not done so for a couple of years. Not sure everyone on the floor is ever on the same page. Especially with high pick and roll assignments.

Smith was impressive…..our, D not so much.
Smith has better than average speed and quickness. But the real reason is we don’t play great team defense, and have not done so for a couple of years. Not sure everyone on the floor is ever on the same page. Especially with high pick and roll assignments.
poor/not enough communication

Taking the ridiculousness of our efforts out of this...and trying to analyze it a little bit...

We actually haven't given up a ton of straight line drives this year. We've done a decent job protecting the paint against dribble penetration. What we've been horrid at is rotating correctly, recovering off gap help, and then rebounding misses.

I'm sure they did their due diligence and watched film on IU games. So I'm sure Smith was genuinely surprised he was as open as he was. Also, I've posted on this in some other discussions on here... One thing that Edey's presence creates, most of the time, is a fairly congested lane area. He's enormous himself, and he attracts more than just his own defender. Even when Purdue pulls Edey away from the basket as the pinch post guy at the top of the key, often times his defender is sagged off him and defending paint. So again, I'm sure it was surprising, and new, for Smith to be as open at the rim as he was.

I've noticed many opponents game plan starts by isolating certain IU players and driving into the paint on them. The inability to stop dribble penetration leads to other defenders having to help, the ball is then kicked out to the resulting open player. We then have to start chasing the ball as it passed around the perimeter which leads to an open look or another drive opportunity. Basketball is a simple game.

He might be talking shit but he did go down the lane rather easy. I guess screens Edny set for him made it easy. He does a good job running his defender into the screens.
Yeah no doubt ...

He knows the game and its angles so well, and smart. PG are born .. and he has the gene.

His size actually helps

He's short (5'10/5'11) with long strong gorilla arms (6'6 6'7 WS?) and tiny short legs .. You can't bother his dribble, it's always low, (*snicker*) he can turn on a dime with tiny little steps and get under you... he uses all of his shortcomings to advantage.. lol ...

He's tough to defend..

Can't let him go right, ever, you lose a step without help you're toast., Force him left and at least make him make tougher plays.... He almost always comes back to his right hand or right foot when going left.

Stay in front of his right hip, always, don't worry about the left hand bounce, guard the right side leg, hip, shoulder, especially on the first step or if he gets enough separation, he'll come back to his right hand and change direction with it dribbling across the lane ...

or something.

Basically you're completely f*cked if he gets separation with a right hand dribble .. make him work.

First half has some good examples of this .. I quit paying any real attention after the scrubs came in ..

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt ...

He knows the game and it's angles so well, and smart. PG are born .. and he has the gene.

His size actually helps

He's short (5'10/5'11) with long strong gorilla arms (6'6 6'7 WS?) and tiny short legs ... You can't bother his dribble, it's always low, (*snicker*) he can turn on a dime with tiny little steps and get under you... he uses all of his shortcomings to advantage.. lol ...

He's tough to defend..

Can't let him go right, ever, you lose a step without help you're toast., Force him left and at least make him make tougher plays.... He almost always comes back to his right hand or right foot when going left.

Stay in front of his right hip, always, don't worry about the left hand bounce, guard the right side leg, hip, shoulder, especially on the first step or if he gets enough separation, he'll come back to his right hand and change direction with it dribbling across the lane ...

or something.

Basically you're completely f*cked if he gets separation with a right hand dribble .. make him work.

First half has some good examples of this .. I quit paying any real attention after the scrubs came in ..
See? It’s not that hard to be of value around here. Nice job.

Reactions: ulrey
Yeah no doubt ...

He knows the game and it's angles so well, and smart. PG are born .. and he has the gene.

His size actually helps

He's short (5'10/5'11) with long strong gorilla arms (6'6 6'7 WS?) and tiny short legs ... You can't bother his dribble, it's always low, (*snicker*) he can turn on a dime with tiny little steps and get under you... he uses all of his shortcomings to advantage.. lol ...

He's tough to defend..

or something.

M Painter Press Conf - start at 58 seconds

Matt Painter answers the same question from 58 seconds to 1:43 - says IU was trying to keep Smith from going to his right hand so they were setting screens to let him go to his left and then "snake" back to his right. Says they were doing the same thing with Galloway.

Hes talking shit. Dont be so gullible

@T.M.P. I'll leave this here for you. Braden's not talking shit. He's just calling it as it was.

Smith looked like he was in a damn layup line for a good portion of the game. Terrible coaching.

Speed maybe.

I've noticed many opponents game plan starts by isolating certain IU players and driving into the paint on them. The inability to stop dribble penetration leads to other defenders having to help, the ball is then kicked out to the resulting open player. We then have to start chasing the ball as it passed around the perimeter which leads to an open look or another drive opportunity. Basketball is a simple game.
The way IU chooses to guard the pick and roll is absolutely idiotic. And Ware was terrible at providing help when Cupps was working his way over screens (as he's clearly instructed to do). IU guards the pick and roll in about the stupidest way possible.

He might be talking shit but he did go down the lane rather easy. I guess screens Edny set for him made it easy. He does a good job running his defender into the screens.
Yeah, and the fact that those screens are all illegal make it relatively easy to accomplish.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
If you go back and watch…it was the sparks line-up that let smith walk in. Sparks was awful. We really missed Ware for that long stretch.
Yeah, this was by far Sparks worst game. And it wasn't just because of Edey. He provided zero help in the lane and was late on drives I don't know how many times.

Yeah, this was by far Sparks worst game. And it wasn't just because of Edey. He provided zero help in the lane and was late on drives I don't know how many times.
I had very high hopes for Sparks. Saw him play multiple times at Ball State and thought he’d be an excellent backup. He’s either regressed terribly, or the coaching he got in Muncie was superior to what he’s getting in Bloomington.

Yeah, and the fact that those screens are all illegal make it relatively easy to accomplish.
I don’t think refs are ever going to call Edny for illegal screens. He fakes refs out because he hangs his arms straight down inside his shoulders but if you look at his feet they’re far outside his shoulders. Then he keeps shuffling around until he knocks the guy off balance that’s guarding Smith. Then it’s all over.

Recruiting. Just as Houston's players are recruited for certain toughness criteria and defensive prowess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT