ADVERTISEMENT

Just Curious ...

Palmbeachhoosier

All-Big Ten
Aug 13, 2016
Delray Beach, FL
I am just wandering why IU decided upon Cignetti over Hermann. I think they have very similar track records. Cignetti has longevity over Hermann. However Hermann is higher profile. Hermann also has in my eyes the potential for a longer career., being 14 years younger. Did IU approach Hermann and he turn them down or was Cignetti the number 1 guy all along. I hope he can duplicate the success he had at the last Indiana he coached. I hope IU fans are patient and don't turn on him as soon as he makes a decision they agree with. I hope fans fill the stadium and stay until the end. I hope the administration is going to pump money into the program for quality assistant coaches and staff. I hope they are going to improve facilities. I hope Coach Cignetti gets it turned around sooner than later. Go Hoosiers

Bigger press box please.
One that runs the length of the West stands.

I like the north end zone and I like the south end zone. Those two designs were built with some style and stays true to Indiana acampus architecture. However, the small press box looks out of place and makes the Stadium look small time.
It’s one of the first things that schools do when they upgrade their facilities.

I am just wandering why IU decided upon Cignetti over Hermann. I think they have very similar track records. Cignetti has longevity over Hermann. However Hermann is higher profile. Hermann also has in my eyes the potential for a longer career., being 14 years younger. Did IU approach Hermann and he turn them down or was Cignetti the number 1 guy all along. I hope he can duplicate the success he had at the last Indiana he coached. I hope IU fans are patient and don't turn on him as soon as he makes a decision they agree with. I hope fans fill the stadium and stay until the end. I hope the administration is going to pump money into the program for quality assistant coaches and staff. I hope they are going to improve facilities. I hope Coach Cignetti gets it turned around sooner than later. Go Hoosiers
Obviously don't know the answers IU would have to your questions...

One of the main ones, I'd guess, is the likelihood of retaining this coach for more than a year or two.

If Hermann were to come to IU, go to a bowl game next year, win 8-9 games the next year and get a big bowl bid...he'd be gone back up the coaching ladder to a better P5 school, almost assuredly.

Cignetti, I would think, is safer to be at IU for more years, no matter how successful he is.

Bigger press box please.

I like the north end zone and I like the south end zone. Those two designs were built with some style and stays true to Indiana acampus architecture. However, the small press box looks out of place and makes the Stadium look small time.
It’s one of the first things that schools do when they upgrade their facilities.
If I were given the project, and ample funding...

I'd build a much larger and wider entryway, plaza, concourse on the west side, that looks similar to the North endzone outside building/structure. The center, upper part of it, being a nicer and wider press box. And then outside that, use the "turret/tower" look that the NEZ building has, and have some nice suites on either end of the press box. A really nice modern, closed in concourse below that.

On the East side. I'd redo it completely. Have the bottom 1/3 or so of the bleachers remain...then I'd build in suites that run the entire length, then above that have an upper deck with more bleachers, with the back of that also being a closed in concourse, the overall shape and architecture matching the NEZ and SEZ. Capacity ends up around 55-60K, but is modernized, closed in better, has suites.

Before I'd worry about any of this, however...I'd figure out how to fully fund the NIL and coaching staff money pools to be competitive near the top of the conference, and to be sustainable. Then I'd replace Mellencamp. THEN...I'd get around to these sorts of Memorial Stadium upgrades.

CCC wanted the job.

Obviously don't know the answers IU would have to your questions...

One of the main ones, I'd guess, is the likelihood of retaining this coach for more than a year or two.

If Hermann were to come to IU, go to a bowl game next year, win 8-9 games the next year and get a big bowl bid...he'd be gone back up the coaching ladder to a better P5 school, almost assuredly.

Cignetti, I would think, is safer to be at IU for more years, no matter how successful he is.
I don't think that should ever really be a consideration. CCC is 62 so its not like he's got 15 years left in him. If you can hire a coach who gets you to success in any fashion, and they go to greener pastures, then that means the program is in a better place and the hire is a success. IU would receive money from the coaches next job (buy-out) and be in a better position to hire the next coach.

The only thing the AD should be worried about is getting the best coach to get this programs foundation where it needs to be. Anything else is details that could hinder you from hiring the best candidate and result in a bad hire.

I’ve heard that Herman is an odd duck. Besides do we need another Tom at Indiana?

Tom Herman wouldn’t be an exciting hire. Maybe after his Houston stint most would be stoked to have him, but he underwhelmed at Texas (although good by our standards). He also finished 4-8 this year after taking over for a 5-7 program. By comparison, Lane Kiffin took over a 3 win team and finished 11-3 in his first season at Fau. So, I wouldn’t necessarily say that Herman has demonstrated he is capable at thriving at a program like ours. You can’t compare his Texas records to what he would produce here no more than you can say Cignetti is guaranteed success because of how well he has done against a lower tier of competition. Only time will tell if this was the right hire. I may not be super stoked, but I’m rolling with the decision and very hopeful he is the guy we’ve been waiting for.

Bigger press box please.

I understand your beggar's lament, but a bigger press box just amounts to a more impressively visual, cosmetic change in the eyes of the fans. In my 60+ years of attending IU games, I still have no idea what the inside of the press box looks like...what accommodations it has. Once upon a time, the press box was open underneath it. When it rained during a game, fans scurried to one (of usually many) open seats beneath it.

I understand your beggar's lament, but a bigger press box just amounts to a more impressively visual, cosmetic change in the eyes of the fans. In my 60+ years of attending IU games, I still have no idea what the inside of the press box looks like...what accommodations it has. Once upon a time, the press box was open underneath it. When it rained during a game, fans scurried to one (of usually many) open seats beneath it.
I think if the only purpose of a new structure on that side of the stadium is just a new press box, it doesn't make sense. But quite obviously, you could multi purpose a nice, impressive looking new facility with luxury suites, more meeting space, outer concourse improvements, etc...

Its pretty far down the list of needed investments, in my opinion...but if the money is there, AFTER replacing Mellencamp, after fully funding years of high level coaching staff salaries, making sure weight room, nutrition center...anything player focused...making sure ALL of that stuff is top of the B10 level...THEN, yes, the press box looks 'out of place bad' versus the rest of the stadium, and should be replaced/improved.

I never heard Hermann’s name mentioned that he was even interested in the job let alone interviewed.
I may be wrong but the only thing I saw was a statement that he wasn’t interested in the job.
Lots of names get thrown around on fan page message boards.
The only names I remember hearing that was interviewed was Carey,Hart and Frye and maybe Chryst?

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Bigger press box please.

I’ve seen high school stadiums with bigger press boxes,especially on the south.
Yeah,the press box issue needs to be addressed.

Sigh….you all are wearing me out!!! I choose to trust the system, and the process, that was put in place to bring Coach Cignetti on board. Most definitely, he is a very young 62 y/o. He is without question, a leader. He was able to put together a staff very quickly, because he was able to bring most of his staff with him. I’m excited for what the future holds for the Indiana Hoosier football team. Like it, or not, and I like it, but he is our coach. I think we embrace it, and give him all of the support we possibly can!

If I were given the project, and ample funding...

I'd build a much larger and wider entryway, plaza, concourse on the west side, that looks similar to the North endzone outside building/structure. The center, upper part of it, being a nicer and wider press box. And then outside that, use the "turret/tower" look that the NEZ building has, and have some nice suites on either end of the press box. A really nice modern, closed in concourse below that.

On the East side. I'd redo it completely. Have the bottom 1/3 or so of the bleachers remain...then I'd build in suites that run the entire length, then above that have an upper deck with more bleachers, with the back of that also being a closed in concourse, the overall shape and architecture matching the NEZ and SEZ. Capacity ends up around 55-60K, but is modernized, closed in better, has suites.

Before I'd worry about any of this, however...I'd figure out how to fully fund the NIL and coaching staff money pools to be competitive near the top of the conference, and to be sustainable. Then I'd replace Mellencamp. THEN...I'd get around to these sorts of Memorial Stadium upgrades.

Actually - first on my list is replacing those 32” Sanyo t.v.’s on the concourses.

Send 2 IU maintenance guys to Best Buy. Get some 70” high def flat screens, spend $15k and have it done in a few days.

Actually - first on my list is replacing those 32” Sanyo t.v.’s on the concourses.

Send 2 IU maintenance guys to Best Buy. Get some 70” high def flat screens, spend $15k and have it done in a few days.
Really, screens are so cheap... No one should have to miss any of the action while standing in line to pee.

Last edited:

Only replace the TVs if SOME of the TVs will be showing something else other than the IU game and/or band.

I've never understood why they have 40 TVs all tuned into the IU broadcast....there ARE other games/events going on. As a college football fan I might want to know the ND/OSU score or the Purdue score and I might want to run down and see that ending rather than watch the Marching 100 on fricking TV!!! Or maybe watch some highlights on Sportscenter. Same complaints relate to so infrequently providing the scores and no announcing them, just throwing them on the screen, so you miss them all the time.

Last edited:
Someone pointed this out previously, but it rings true......when you're replacing a coach who the fans disrespect or dislike, you tend to find someone as close to 180* different from that individual as possible. I think that applies here......this guy is certainly not disorganized, manic and LEOing all around. If this guy doesn't work out, we'll get another Coach Hep type.......

I think if the only purpose of a new structure on that side of the stadium is just a new press box, it doesn't make sense. But quite obviously, you could multi purpose a nice, impressive looking new facility with luxury suites, more meeting space, outer concourse improvements, etc...

Its pretty far down the list of needed investments, in my opinion...but if the money is there, AFTER replacing Mellencamp, after fully funding years of high level coaching staff salaries, making sure weight room, nutrition center...anything player focused...making sure ALL of that stuff is top of the B10 level...THEN, yes, the press box looks 'out of place bad' versus the rest of the stadium, and should be replaced/improved.

Actually, I think 'only a new press box' might be something we could do fairly quickly and fairly cheaply and would be a pretty good bang for the buck. We just need something that looks a little more modern and blends well with the additions.

I agree with others who have said that luxury boxes should be on the east side because they'd be too high on the west, and it would also balance out, at long last, the appearance difference between east and west.

I don't think that should ever really be a consideration. CCC is 62 so its not like he's got 15 years left in him. If you can hire a coach who gets you to success in any fashion, and they go to greener pastures, then that means the program is in a better place and the hire is a success. IU would receive money from the coaches next job (buy-out) and be in a better position to hire the next coach.

The only thing the AD should be worried about is getting the best coach to get this programs foundation where it needs to be. Anything else is details that could hinder you from hiring the best candidate and result in a bad hire.

Can't agree on this one... I don't think having a coach here for two or three seasons is building a foundation and if Herrman had quick success I think he'd have been gone as soon as a traditional power called.... It takes more a few years to get the program rooted deep enough for most people to really believe in it... Staying anything short of five years says to me that the coach thinks IU is a second tier school... that's not what IU needs.

The thing that made me feel good about the Allen hire is that I believed he would never have left if he'd had success... It was his dream job in his home state... He was already making ten times more that he'd ever dreamed and he could be the savior to lead IU to respectability. He wanted this to be his last job..... Everything was in place... if it worked out.

But, I was dreaming just like many others... It took four years to learn he couldn't coach at this level.

At 62 years old I think CCC is at that stage in life where if things get good here this might well be the last job he'll ever have or want. He's been through all the moves, seen how it is turning programs around and he might not care to go through it one more time..... Anyway, I hope that's the case.

Can't agree on this one... I don't think having a coach here for two or three seasons is building a foundation and if Herrman had quick success I think he'd have been gone as soon as a traditional power called.... It takes more a few years to get the program rooted deep enough for most people to really believe in it... Staying anything short of five years says to me that the coach thinks IU is a second tier school... that's not what IU needs.

The thing that made me feel good about the Allen hire is that I believed he would never have left if he'd had success... It was his dream job in his home state... He was already making ten times more that he'd ever dreamed and he could be the savior to lead IU to respectability. He wanted this to be his last job..... Everything was in place... if it worked out.

But, I was dreaming just like many others... It took four years to learn he couldn't coach at this level.

At 62 years old I think CCC is at that stage in life where if things get good here this might well be the last job he'll ever have or want. He's been through all the moves, seen how it is turning programs around and he might not care to go through it one more time..... Anyway, I hope that's the case.
The problem your logic runs into is he wouldn't leave for a program that is needing rebuilt. He would run to a program that just needs a competent coach or he is replacing a top dog (like a Saban) who is retiring. Thereby no need to rebuild there either. The downside of our program is the rebuild and sustain phases without history. Coaches leave us because other programs don't require rebuilds, they require the coach match what they think is already built.

The problem your logic runs into is he wouldn't leave for a program that is needing rebuilt. He would run to a program that just needs a competent coach or he is replacing a top dog (like a Saban) who is retiring. Thereby no need to rebuild there either. The downside of our program is the rebuild and sustain phases without history. Coaches leave us because other programs don't require rebuilds, they require the coach match what they think is already built.
Why replace an old guy like Saban with another old guy though? Most programs with established long term success have an older coach who's been there quite a while.

Only replace the TVs if SOME of the TVs will be showing something else other than the IU game and/or band.

I've never understood why they have 40 TVs all tuned into the IU broadcast....there ARE other games/events going on. As a college football fan I might want to know the ND/OSU score or the Purdue score and I might want to run down and see that ending rather than watch the Marching 100 on fricking TV!!! Or maybe watch some highlights on Sportscenter. Same complaints relate to so infrequently providing the scores and no announcing them, just throwing them on the screen, so you miss them all the time.
If you're at the IU game, watch the IU game. I know that's flippant but do you really need to run down to the concourse to watch another game? Just pay attention to updates on your phone or watch from your couch and flip channels if you want to watch multiple games. If I'm in line at concessions I should be able to watch what's currently happening on the field, not have to crane my neck or find a different line to keep up with what's going on.

I wanted Tom Herman only because he was mentioned here a lot, and he seemed to have a lot to offer. I see some of the smaller school or lesser known names who moved up for other schools and some of those I like even better than Herman, just didn't hear some of them here during the search.

Once Coach Cignetti's name popped up, I was totally on board, looked like a strong choice if we could land him. Still feel that way.

Why replace an old guy like Saban with another old guy though? Most programs with established long term success have an older coach who's been there quite a while.

As Beaver Cleaver would say it.... ".... 'xatly."

I know, I know, a long dated irrelevant Beaver Cleaver reference... but, as some on here 'prolly think, I'm an old geezer out of touch with today's world.... Now, I'm gonna go down to the crick and gig some frogs with Whitey..... 😁

Last edited:
Actually, I think 'only a new press box' might be something we could do fairly quickly and fairly cheaply and would be a pretty good bang for the buck. We just need something that looks a little more modern and blends well with the additions.

I agree with others who have said that luxury boxes should be on the east side because they'd be too high on the west, and it would also balance out, at long last, the appearance difference between east and west.
There may be opportunity for a new press box and suites. However, I think the athletic department would be better off building a marketing plan to fill the 15,000 consistently empty seats at the stadium. The return available for filling those empty seats is much greater than suites. They would do nothing to improve game day for the majority.

I received a survey from the dept. this summer. Most of the questions were about whether I would be willing to spend more money for suites or seats with backs.

Fill the stadium, then when there is a bigger season ticket base make some of these enhancement

Saban was 56 when he was hired at Bama. If CCC proves to be successful yet again, this time at IU......then he'd still have time on his hands as a current hot commodity.

I wanted Tom Herman only because he was mentioned here a lot, and he seemed to have a lot to offer. I see some of the smaller school or lesser known names who moved up for other schools and some of those I like even better than Herman, just didn't hear some of them here during the search.

Once Coach Cignetti's name popped up, I was totally on board, looked like a strong choice if we could land him. Still feel that way.

I find the Duke choice of Manny Diaz interesting. I followed that because Cignetti was on their radar as well. Was fired once from a former ACC school for going 21-15 at Miami. Very rare to see a coach hired within the same conference that was previously fired in that conference. I’m trying to think if it’s happened in the Big Ten? Gary Moeller was terrible at Illinois before getting hired at Michigan. Did Illinois fire him? He only had 6 wins in 3 seasons there.

Bigger press box please.

Agree with the press box. Needs to go end to end with suites underneath all the way. The SEZ though needs to be rebuilt to add seats. It also doesn't exactly flow seamlessly into the rest of the stadium. I remember a game a fan from the opposing team said why did they do that .

When I saw some games in there it consisted of 3-4 rows of seats with movable chairs and stationary tables for the press to put their laptops on. If you kept the windows closed the sound of the game was very muffled. The elevator goes all the way down underground where there are rooms for meetings and a big buffet for the press pre-game.

There is absolutely zero use for expanding the press box beyond maybe 100-150 feet unless 90% of the expansion is for club seating or suites.

Going end to end on the side of the stadium for actual press box is absurd.

Again if you just mean structure to contain suites and premium seating , maybe a vip lounge type experience then fine, but there is only minimal need for more press/coaches booth and timing/stat crew space

When I saw some games in there it consisted of 3-4 rows of seats with movable chairs and stationary tables for the press to put their laptops on. If you kept the windows closed the sound of the game was very muffled. The elevator goes all the way down underground where there are rooms for meetings and a big buffet for the press pre-game.
“…a big buffet for the press pre-game.” That must have been to help assure favorable reviews, that is, a positive spin on even the most demoralizing outcomes. “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” has been known since the days when Neanderthals first started clubbing women, and I don’t mean Studio 54.

“…a big buffet for the press pre-game.” That must have been to help assure favorable reviews, that is, a positive spin on even the most demoralizing outcomes. “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” has been known since the days when Neanderthals first started clubbing women, and I don’t mean Studio 54.
Food for the press is pretty common all over. Or at least was last time I went to a game in a press box.

Feeding the media has been around since Gutenberg invented the printing press... It's standard and that's part of the program. It doesn't matter where you go in the world or what's the event it's a courtesy for showing up to report the game.

If you really think it helps to get favorable reviews then you don't know anything about how the media works...

Last edited:
IMO the most urgent, immediate need is for a new indoor practice facility. Not only would it have the greatest positive impact on recruiting, it would replace a facility that may very well have a negative impact on recruiting at this point in time.

Agree with the press box. Needs to go end to end with suites underneath all the way. The SEZ though needs to be rebuilt to add seats. It also doesn't exactly flow seamlessly into the rest of the stadium. I remember a game a fan from the opposing team said why did they do that .
Yep. I’ve been baffled by the SEZ from day one. Totally looks like an add on. Doesn’t match or meet either side. It’s incredible to me the NEZ was nearly perfect, yet they decided to go radically different on the Southside.

IMO the most urgent, immediate need is for a new indoor practice facility. Not only would it have the greatest positive impact on recruiting, it would replace a facility that may very well have a negative impact on recruiting at this point in time.
How exactly does it work when someone donates big money for a building but it becomes obsolete? Does the replacement building get that original donor’s name slapped on it? Or is said donor simply scrubbed from memory?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT