ADVERTISEMENT

Johns & Patton Both Moving On

Thinking about this some, this might not be a change based purely on performance, it might be more structural. Considering wilson's absence also effects delegation offensive coaching duties, Allen might want to rearrange things and give more of a focus on QB. I could see Allen going after an OC/QB guy and a WR/TE guy (Heard). Don't think Patton could take on WR duties. And demoting Johns back to WR would likely be confusing to players and could lead to some conflicting loyalties. So letting them go is the only way to make that alignment work. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Heard get an AHC title.

If that's actually the criteria for who goes and who stays (which I highly doubt) then we are screwed.

That "may" be the case with Patton but I think there's a lot more at play in these decisions.

The Wilson/Johns hurry-up offense was not a ball control offense. Its strength was causing chaos. And part of the problem of chaos is turnovers. I am glad that it is gone.

Now if IU can pick up a couple more quarterbacks and they can all learn to find secondary receivers....

The Wilson/Johns hurry-up offense was not a ball control offense. Its strength was causing chaos. And part of the problem of chaos is turnovers. I am glad that it is gone.

Now if IU can pick up a couple more quarterbacks and they can all learn to find secondary receivers....
Yeah, and too often the chaos was on our team.

It wasn't always a hurry up offense. Wilson liked to control the tempo based on down, distance and field position, rather than just go fast all the time (that's Crean). Losing him and John's will be tough on the offense.

If Allen can get Dan Werner, he has to be the choice.

SPORTS
FOOTBALL
NEWS

DAN WERNER

7975049.jpeg

Position:
Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Alma Mater:
Western Michigan, 1983

12/16/2016

Press Conference: Hugh Freeze Talks New Coordinators
Freeze Transcript on the Hiring of Phil Longo and Wesley McGriff

08/28/2015

Preseason Report 08.28: Rebels Ready For Game Week
Ole Miss Opens 2015 Season Next Saturday

08/12/2015

Preseason Report 08.12: Competition all over Field as Fall Camp Continues
Rebel Assistant Coaches Pleased with Progress

08/03/2014

Preseason Report 08.03: Coordinators Pleased With Progress From Units
Numerous Players Standing Out Early in Practice

11/03/2012

GAMEDAY PREVIEW: Ole Miss At No. 6 Georgia
Rebels Travel To Athens To Take On SEC East Leaders

Dan Werner, a highly successful veteran offensive mind, is in his fifth season as head coach Hugh Freeze’s co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach.

This marks Werner’s second term at Ole Miss, having worked alongside Freeze on the Rebels’ offensive staff in 2006 and 2007.

With Werner helping direct the offense in 2015, Ole Miss set program records for scoring (531), touchdowns (68), total offense (6,731), passing yards (4,351), passing touchdowns (35), 50+ point games (4) and games with more than 600 yards of offense (3). The Rebels led the SEC and were top 10 nationally in scoring (40.8), total offense (517.8 ypg) and passing (334.7 ypg).

Werner, a 2015 Broyles Award nominee for the nation’s top assistant, coached first-year signal caller Chad Kelly to a record-breaking season. The Manning Award finalist led the SEC in passing yards (4,042), points responsible for (246) and total offense (4,542), setting school records and ranking third all-time in league history with his passing and total offense yardage numbers. Kelly was repsonsible for a school-record 41 touchdowns and tied Eli Manning’s best Ole Miss mark of 31 scoring passes.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Things are falling apart. Allen should have gone withJohns
Offense. Too many changes. Not good. For someone who
Has no head coaching experience
Could be...but I guess that depends who Allen brings in...doesnt it?

Okay...Im struggling with this one. An offense that has been either #1 or #2 in the B10 the last number of years...youre glad it gone???

I cannot agree with your point at all.

Careful what you ask for......please!?

Reactions: cshartle123
This past year the only team that turned the ball over more than IU (29) was Purdue (33). IMO, a number of stupid decisions were made due to the speed of the play.

In 2015 IU only turned the ball over 14 times - but they had better personnel on the field.

I am not saying I don't want to see a spread offense.

Also not helping was the Griffin Oakes went from being the best to the worst field goal kicker in the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: hammerman24
Hopefully not, though I doubt he'd be welcomed back. Zander is about Zander.
Agreed. I appreciated the kid's toughness, but his need to be seen and heard was annoying as hell. I personally am a big fan of the "shut up and play" approach.

Diamont had multiple opportunities to prove that he was the guy we needed to lead this team to success over the past 3 years. What he proved is that he was a situational commodity with a limited skill set. A whole lot of kids never get the opportunity to prove themselves on the field that Diamont got. I don't think that playing him exclusively as our QB was ever going to mean more Ws for IU football.

In the bowl game, Utah was in zero coverage when he was in. The box was stacked and limiting our ability to run. The td pass was underthrown and probably successful only because of the element of surprise. In my mind it was the equivalent of a flea-flicker or double reverse. Nobody gets fooled the second time. ZD not playing in the second half was insignificant in my opinion. If we make an easy field goal we probably win the game and nobody cares that Diamont didn't get any snaps.

Agreed. I appreciated the kid's toughness, but his need to be seen and heard was annoying as hell. I personally am a big fan of the "shut up and play" approach.

Diamont had multiple opportunities to prove that he was the guy we needed to lead this team to success over the past 3 years. What he proved is that he was a situational commodity with a limited skill set. A whole lot of kids never get the opportunity to prove themselves on the field that Diamont got. I don't think that playing him exclusively as our QB was ever going to mean more Ws for IU football.

In the bowl game, Utah was in zero coverage when he was in. The box was stacked and limiting our ability to run. The td pass was underthrown and probably successful only because of the element of surprise. In my mind it was the equivalent of a flea-flicker or double reverse. Nobody gets fooled the second time. ZD not playing in the second half was insignificant in my opinion. If we make an easy field goal we probably win the game and nobody cares that Diamont didn't get any snaps.

Also, coverage was a part, but also I think that Utah's speed on the DL would have really limited his ability to run.

This.

Don Fischer's answer to the question should Z have replaced RL in the bowl game was basically ; Z is good in situations but once he is in for more than two series they figure him out and his effectiveness drops dramatically. I agree.

His long pass was as unexpected as Josh's two drives to the basket late in the Louisville game.

Both were out all year. Hawkins was a guy that was talked about a lot as maybe being a big contributor next season or there after. Don't really see how that post was out of line.
No Hawkins wasnt and I didnt say the post was out of line just that it was overall premise was faulty. Those two dudes quiting the team will have zero impact in recruiting and our goals for next year.

LOL C'mon man..... Wilson only picked Allen on his 3rd DC try. And he held onto Mallory WAY too long.

There's no politically correct way to say this, but Heard is a minority and can relate to players in a sport where minorities dominate. I don't think IU has ever had a minority OC or DC. I'm not saying it's THE reason to hire the guy, but it could be a positive contributing factor. But most importantly, he had pretty damn good success at his current position and Allen knows him. I don't know if he'll be THE OC, but I'm good with it if he is.

Under Cam we had a minority DC and he couldnt recruit or coach. Secondly, Heard was his OC at a small college, then at the next stop at a low level d1 school he was the Passing Coordinator and receiver coach, then when Freeze went to Ole Miss Heard was moved to only receiver coach. See a trend here? Also I am not sure why you brough up our DC's failing under wilson as that only proves my point we need a real OC in this current situation.

This past year the only team that turned the ball over more than IU (29) was Purdue (33). IMO, a number of stupid decisions were made due to the speed of the play.

In 2015 IU only turned the ball over 14 times - but they had better personnel on the field.

I am not saying I don't want to see a spread offense.

Also not helping was the Griffin Oakes went from being the best to the worst field goal kicker in the conference.
I wonder whose decision it was to change the holder?

Also, coverage was a part, but also I think that Utah's speed on the DL would have really limited his ability to run.
You guys crack me up. You denigrate a guy who gets us back in the game and claim it's a fluke - gee, any idea why Utah might have been in Cover 0? Maybe because they scouted Zander and saw him outrun the O$U secondary?

And you're worried about the speed on the DL?

Under Cam we had a minority DC and he couldnt recruit or coach. Secondly, Heard was his OC at a small college, then at the next stop at a low level d1 school he was the Passing Coordinator and receiver coach, then when Freeze went to Ole Miss Heard was moved to only receiver coach. See a trend here? Also I am not sure why you brough up our DC's failing under wilson as that only proves my point we need a real OC in this current situation.
Forgot about Bell. Wasn't he only here for 1 year?

My point about multiple DCs under Wilson is, you said you trusted his judgement. Twist it however you want - it's cool. It doesn't make a lick of difference either way.

This.

Don Fischer's answer to the question should Z have replaced RL in the bowl game was basically ; Z is good in situations but once he is in for more than two series they figure him out and his effectiveness drops dramatically. I agree.
So they didn't figure Lagow out?

How mobile was Lagow when they blitzed?

No Hawkins wasnt and I didnt say the post was out of line just that it was overall premise was faulty. Those two dudes quiting the team will have zero impact in recruiting and our goals for next year.

I never said it would, in fact I specifically said we were fine next year. Just 2 bodies that will have to be replaced at some point and hopefully the new staff can go get some good ones.

So they didn't figure Lagow out?

How mobile was Lagow when they blitzed?

Allen said after the game that they had Zander covered well with whatever scheme they were playing in the second half. Take that as you will, but Fisher specifically asked him about it.

Allen said after the game that they had Zander covered well with whatever scheme they were playing in the second half. Take that as you will, but Fisher specifically asked him about it.
Why would he say that when he Z didn't play the second half?

Does he think Utah would play the same Defense with Zander in there as Lagow?

Didn't Utah change coverage when Z came in the first half?

Why would he say that when he Z didn't play the second half?

Does he think Utah would play the same Defense with Zander in there as Lagow?

Didn't Utah change coverage when Z came in the first half?

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe whatever they were running was going to make Zander more a passer and that wasn't what they wanted.

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe whatever they were running was going to make Zander more a passer and that wasn't what they wanted.
My 'guess' is Allen didn't like Zander strutting around a little (a la Pat Macaffey) after his TD and decided to go with the guy who was going to be here next year.

I hope that's not the case, but I can't think of another legit reason why he wouldn't come in for a few plays when Lagow was clearly ineffective.

My 'guess' is Allen didn't like Zander strutting around a little (a la Pat Macaffey) after his TD and decided to go with the guy who was going to be here next year.

I hope that's not the case, but I can't think of another legit reason why he wouldn't come in for a few plays when Lagow was clearly ineffective.
According to both Allen and Johns the decision not to play ZD was based completely on the coverage Utah used when he was in the game in the first half. The first-half TD had the element of surprise and worked even though it wasn't very well thrown. Bringing that safety down in the box and playing press man coverage means you have to be able to throw the ball accurately over the top of the defense. I don't think anybody on the coaching staff (KW included) felt confident that Diamont could do that.

No argument from me that Lagow wasn't very good in the Utah game or a lot of the time in other games. That doesn't mean that Diamont was better or gave us a better chance to win. It just means we didn't have any better options. Consider that we likely would have won the game by making a fairly simple field goal. I don't think the risk of playing a guy who was not really a threat to beat a defense with his arm against a loaded defense tilted against the run was a better option. Despite Lagow's problems the defense always has to be honest because he is a threat to make any throw. I don't think Utah had any fear that Diamont could beat them with his arm.

According to both Allen and Johns the decision not to play ZD was based completely on the coverage Utah used when he was in the game in the first half. The first-half TD had the element of surprise and worked even though it wasn't very well thrown. Bringing that safety down in the box and playing press man coverage means you have to be able to throw the ball accurately over the top of the defense. I don't think anybody on the coaching staff (KW included) felt confident that Diamont could do that.

No argument from me that Lagow wasn't very good in the Utah game or a lot of the time in other games. That doesn't mean that Diamont was better or gave us a better chance to win. It just means we didn't have any better options. Consider that we likely would have won the game by making a fairly simple field goal. I don't think the risk of playing a guy who was not really a threat to beat a defense with his arm against a loaded defense tilted against the run was a better option. Despite Lagow's problems the defense always has to be honest because he is a threat to make any throw. I don't think Utah had any fear that Diamont could beat them with his arm.
It's all opinion, at this point, since he didn't have the opportunity. It's all speculation.

What we do know for a fact is that Zander threw a 43(?) yard TD in his lone appearance. We also know that Lagow did very little in the rest of the time as QB.

We also know - for a fact - that Lagow wasn't a threat to run and Utah could focus all day on the RB. We know - for a fact - that Zander has speed to burn and is a threat to break it on the run.

I'll go with evidence to form my opinions.

Reactions: mikewoodson2
It's all opinion, at this point, since he didn't have the opportunity. It's all speculation.

What we do know for a fact is that Zander threw a 43(?) yard TD in his lone appearance. We also know that Lagow did very little in the rest of the time as QB.

We also know - for a fact - that Lagow wasn't a threat to run and Utah could focus all day on the RB. We know - for a fact - that Zander has speed to burn and is a threat to break it on the run.

I'll go with evidence to form my opinions.
The evidence is clear that none of the offensive coaches, who are with him on the practice field and in meetings, ever considered him as anything more than a limited, situational player. If he was good enough to play more during the last four years, he would've played more during the last four years. That's really all anyone should care about.

The evidence is clear that none of the offensive coaches, who are with him on the practice field and in meetings, ever considered him as anything more than a limited, situational player. If he was good enough to play more during the last four years, he would've played more during the last four years. That's really all anyone should care about.
All I care about is what I see on the field.

All I care about is what I see on the field.
I spent thirty years coaching high school basketball. When I had the unpleasant misfortune of having to sit close to casual fans or parents while scouting or watching another game I was constantly amazed at what they thought they were seeing on the floor.

Two things were always prominent in their observations: The coach was an idiot and the kids not playing were better than the kids who were. And they were all firmly convinced of the rightness of their opinions despite having never coached the sport at that level or never having spent a day at practice.

Reactions: turney333
I spent thirty years coaching high school basketball. When I had the unpleasant misfortune of having to sit close to casual fans or parents while scouting or watching another game I was constantly amazed at what they thought they were seeing on the floor.

Two things were always prominent in their observations: The coach was an idiot and the kids not playing were better than the kids who were. And they were all firmly convinced of the rightness of their opinions despite having never coached the sport at that level or never having spent a day at practice.
That's nice.

Here's another fact: coaches aren't perfect, nor are they 100% right 100% of the time.

We're not talking basketball, so unless you coached football at the D1, yours is just another opinion.

Here's another fact: no one called the coach an idiot. No one said the kids not playing were better than the kids who were. No one is claiming to be infallible.

So, I really don't understand what you're going on about in your response to me. I gave you examples why I thought Zander should play. You give me the standard 'I coached high school, so I know fans are stupid' argument.

I'll still form my opinions by what I see on the field, as I stated above.

Last edited:
You are either a horrible troll or have a horrible knowledge of football.

Allen chose to release these guys. And you might want to go back and check out the changes KW made during his time here.

Sounds like the rest of the staff will stay.
K Johns goes back as far as Cam. C

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT