ADVERTISEMENT

Johns & Patton Both Moving On

Hopeful that the rest of the staff remains intact beyond this. I expected Patton to move on since he's tight with Wilson (and wasn't a good O-Line coach at Oklahoma by all reports from them) and was 50/50 on Johns.

Frey & especially McCullough are really good coaches.

Will be interesting to see who the offensive coordinator is. Grant Heard will take one of the open positions by all reports (an upgrade at WR coach, anyway).

Reactions: 10yrProject
Hopeful that the rest of the staff remains intact beyond this. I expected Patton to move on since he's tight with Wilson (and wasn't a good O-Line coach at Oklahoma by all reports from them) and was 50/50 on Johns.

Frey & especially McCullough are really good coaches.

Will be interesting to see who the offensive coordinator is. Grant Heard will take one of the open positions by all reports (an upgrade at WR coach, anyway).
Frey married a Bloomington girl within the last couple years. I'm hoping he wants to stay.

I like the other assistants, too.

McCullough is huge. Honestly think he deserves an OC shot somewhere along the line.

Glad they moved on from Johns. Allen isn't a dummy. He saw the same games we did.

IU has zero commitments from quarterbacks, wide receivers or running backs. And 3 commitments at tight end.

This will get interesting very quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedFootballEd
Who is the QB?
No idea. Maybe someone Heard knows. It' just a (hopeful) hunch.

That's how we got Sudfeld - from the coach we got from Arizona (whose name escapes me) who got our OC job.

IU has zero commitments from quarterbacks, wide receivers or running backs. And 3 commitments at tight end.

This will get interesting very quickly.
We just lost 2 recievers as well as both Hawkins and Griffith have decided to hang it up.

We've got 2 pretty good ones coming off injury next year in J-shun Harris and Simmie Cobbs

For sure. Not denigrating anyone, but we are going to need some more soon. We should be OK for next year barring more injuries.

We've got 2 pretty good ones coming off injury next year in J-shun Harris and Simmie Cobbs

And we were able to redshirt all 3 WRs from the last class including the highest rated player in the whole class in Morris

Reactions: DANC
I don't recall hearing anything about him this year. Has he bulked up?

Vaguely remember hearing about a minor injury that was keeping him out of practice at the beginning of the year, but haven't heard anything else. Just figured that with reasonable depth at WR there was no need to burn his RS mid year

Allen specifically mentioned Taysir Mack as a WR that stood out to him during bowl practices. Another redshirt freshman to look out for.

Things are falling apart. Allen should have gone withJohns
Offense. Too many changes. Not good. For someone who
Has no head coaching experience

If the rest of the staff stays in place, especially Frey and McCullough, things are far from falling apart. I think johns was probably let go more so for inability to recruit the QB position. Wouldn't have been surprised if Johns was let go had Wilson still been at them helm

Well, if he is our new OC then that is not an upgrade at that position. Instead we have a first time OC
Johns had never been an OC before he came here. Whether he's an upgrade or not is yet to be seen. But Allen knows him and evidently thinks he will be.

Every OC had to have a first job sometime.

Really? Did we really lose two Wide Receivers? Come on man they werent even on the 3deep of returning players at their positions.

Both were out all year. Hawkins was a guy that was talked about a lot as maybe being a big contributor next season or there after. Don't really see how that post was out of line.

Really? Did we really lose two Wide Receivers? Come on man they werent even on the 3deep of returning players at their positions.

Jones and Paige were key contributors, Hawkins never caught on and Griffith had a series of set backs in his brief career. Need Cobbs and Harris to come all the way back and some development among those with some pt thias year and the redshirts at wide out for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sope Creek
Right now Heard is coming in listed as the Wide Recievers/Passing Game Coordinator...

I don't have any insight into who will be what but so far so good...

As long as we hang onto Fry and McCullough on the offensive side of the ball I'll be happy.

Johns had never been an OC before he came here. Whether he's an upgrade or not is yet to be seen. But Allen knows him and evidently thinks he will be.

Uhm, but we had Kevin Wilson as our head coach. Tom can hire a first year DC if he wants all day long but not feeling this hire at OC at all. Especially considering Freeze fired their OC and didnt hire this guy. Additionally, he is only the WR coach and they gave him no additional responsibilities within the org. Lastly, he "quit" the almost the same day the OC got fired? Come on now.

Reactions: Bobsnotbucks

Dan Werner, who was on Ole Miss staff with Coach Allen, would seem to a candidate for OC if he was interested. He and Heard were part of Hugh Freeze's redeal.

Uhm, but we had Kevin Wilson as our head coach. Tom can hire a first year DC if he wants all day long but not feeling this hire at OC at all. Especially considering Freeze fired their OC and didnt hire this guy. Additionally, he is only the WR coach and they gave him no additional responsibilities within the org. Lastly, he "quit" the almost the same day the OC got fired? Come on now.

He has not been named the OC yet.

LOL C'mon man..... Wilson only picked Allen on his 3rd DC try. And he held onto Mallory WAY too long.

There's no politically correct way to say this, but Heard is a minority and can relate to players in a sport where minorities dominate. I don't think IU has ever had a minority OC or DC. I'm not saying it's THE reason to hire the guy, but it could be a positive contributing factor. But most importantly, he had pretty damn good success at his current position and Allen knows him. I don't know if he'll be THE OC, but I'm good with it if he is.

Reactions: Sassy61
You are either a horrible troll or have a horrible knowledge of football.

Allen chose to release these guys. And you might want to go back and check out the changes KW made during his time here.

Sounds like the rest of the staff will stay.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT