ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs PU recruiting analysis

The great equalizer for KW's offense was that IU recruited 5 future NFL players in his first 2 classes. While scheme played a role, IU was 3rd in the conference (7) behind OSU and Mich in terms of getting offensive players drafted during KWs tenure. And while all these guys greatly over performed their rankings, they were still all decently ranked, and Sudfeld/Wynn/Coleman were more highly regarded than any player Brohm has recruited so far.

And while IUs advantages may not be overly large, relative to the conference as a whole, its still large enough that it will take at least 4 years if not longer for Brohm/PU to pull close to IU unless recruiting changes dramatically (IU falls off and/or PU really picks it up)
But their NFL futures were pretty doubtful when they were recruited, as none of them were pursued to any great degree by P5 schools. Scheme and development made them NFL players.

But their NFL futures were pretty doubtful when they were recruited, as none of them were pursued to any great degree by P5 schools. Scheme and development made them NFL players.

This. Ryan Kerrigan falls in the same boat.

The great equalizer for KW's offense was that IU recruited 5 future NFL players in his first 2 classes. While scheme played a role, IU was 3rd in the conference (7) behind OSU and Mich in terms of getting offensive players drafted during KWs tenure. And while all these guys greatly over performed their rankings, they were still all decently ranked, and Sudfeld/Wynn/Coleman were more highly regarded than any player Brohm has recruited so far.

And while IUs advantages may not be overly large, relative to the conference as a whole, its still large enough that it will take at least 4 years if not longer for Brohm/PU to pull close to IU unless recruiting changes dramatically (IU falls off and/or PU really picks it up)

Sudfeld isn't more regarded than the QB commitment we have in this class. Our QB had more P5 offers than Sudfeld had. We also have a transfer WR who had better offers than Wynn or Coleman coming out of high school too. Players can rise above their rankings or play well below them. It's up to the coaching staff to develop them. I also completely disagree about the "at least 4 years if not longer" comment. If iu fails to make a bowl game this year (or has another losing season) and Purdue shows improvement, I think the tide could turn in our favor sooner rather than later.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Sudfeld isn't more regarded than the QB commitment we have in this class. Our QB had more P5 offers than Sudfeld had. We also have a transfer WR who had better offers than Wynn or Coleman coming out of high school too. Players can rise above their rankings or play well below them. It's up to the coaching staff to develop them. I also completely disagree about the "at least 4 years if not longer" comment. If iu fails to make a bowl game this year (or has another losing season) and Purdue shows improvement, I think the tide could turn in our favor sooner rather than later.

Dude, Sudfeld was a 4 star. Some services rated him as high as the #14 QB recruit. He had offers from Arizona and UCLA. Coleman was also heavily recruited. I wish you Purdue fans would stop insulting our intelligence. I will admit that Plummer is a good prospect and has potential. Sudfeld was pretty good from the 1st snap that he took.

Last edited:
This isn't the Bill Lynch or Gerry Dinardo Indiana program. I wish you guys would learn to accept that. We have a legit Big Ten roster with players that would start for the upper echelon teams.

I was going off of 247 composite ratings, but fair enough on offers

And yes the tide could turn sooner than 4 years, but I would argue that IU would have to hypothetically lose every recruit from the the 2018 class and get 0 commits for 2019 for Purdue to pull even in 2 years. IU limping along would easily add another 2 years to that.

Purdue could certainly win a game before 4 years, but overall talent and depth won't catch up until then

I doubt Purdue ever catches up. They are far behind IU in talent in pretty much every sport. Not a lot of athletes want to spend 4 years in WL unless they want to be an Engineer. Not to say they can't compete with the athletes they get, but Brohm will find the recruiting pickings at Purdue very similar to what he experienced in Bowling Green.

I doubt Purdue ever catches up. They are far behind IU in talent in pretty much every sport. Not a lot of athletes want to spend 4 years in WL unless they want to be an Engineer. Not to say they can't compete with the athletes they get, but Brohm will find the recruiting pickings at Purdue very similar to what he experienced in Bowling Green.

Posts like these are just funny. You doubt Purdue will ever catch up? In pretty much every sport? The crimson and gold cup is pretty even (8-6 in favor of iu with 2 ties) so no I don't think you're even remotely accurate when you say we're far behind in talent in every sport. I guess our entire history doesn't have much bearing on your prediction? Most athletes don't major in engineering because it's too demanding of a major so yeah they're attracted to
Purdue due to other solid majors and other reasons. 4 bad years doesn't mean we're doomed forever. You are awful cocky even though you haven't won a bowl game in 20+ years. Might want to pump the brakes a bit. This post has so many things wrong with it.

Reactions: codylance
Dude, Sudfeld was a 4 star. Some services rated him as high as the #14 QB recruit. He had offers from Arizona and UCLA. Coleman was also heavily recruited. I wish you Purdue fans would stop insulting our intelligence. I will admit that Plummer is a good prospect and has potential. Sudfeld was pretty good from the 1st snap that he took.

I see Sudfeld as a 3* 5.6 RR on rivals. Where do you see 4*? Rivals only shows an Arizona offer as his other P5 offer.

I was going off of 247 composite ratings, but fair enough on offers

And yes the tide could turn sooner than 4 years, but I would argue that IU would have to hypothetically lose every recruit from the the 2018 class and get 0 commits for 2019 for Purdue to pull even in 2 years. IU limping along would easily add another 2 years to that.

Purdue could certainly win a game before 4 years, but overall talent and depth won't catch up until then

After thinking about it more, you're probably right. Depth is a huge problem and Brohm is doing his best to turn the roster over. For next year, 36% of the roster is brand new (freshmen, juco, or grad transfer). That's a huge percentage but it's good because he got rid of guys that weren't good fits or weren't going to play. Much tougher to turn over a roster in football than it is in basketball. Brohm has done well patching up holes but it will take a few years just to get our depth back to normal.

Why are you assuming there'd be a dramatic improvement in recruiting?

If you read the post, it was reasonable. There is no reason to believe that with good performance on the field, continued excellence in facilities and solid in-state connections; that IU cannot overcome some of the static disadvantages. The improvement doesn't even have to be dramatic at this point, just material.

Reactions: codylance
If you read the post, it was reasonable. There is no reason to believe that with good performance on the field, continued excellence in facilities and solid in-state connections; that IU cannot overcome some of the static disadvantages. The improvement doesn't even have to be dramatic at this point, just material.

That's fair.

Sudfeld was NOT a 4 star on Rivals.

If upper echelon is OSU, UM, PSU or UW, only the first two would have a chance to start.
Ball was a freshmen All-American, he's good enough to play there assuming he improves like he's capable of. Cobbs had 1030 yards and 4 TD's the last time he was healthy, Westbrook has 1000 yards and 6 TD's, who's OSU's best returning receiver? No one that had even half that.

He definitely was on at least one service.

I couldn't find anything showing that. Looks like his 247 composite was a 3*. Regardless, his offer list wasn't anything special. But he turned into a heck of a player so it's a moot point.

Ball was a freshmen All-American, he's good enough to play there assuming he improves like he's capable of. Cobbs had 1030 yards and 4 TD's the last time he was healthy, Westbrook has 1000 yards and 6 TD's, who's OSU's best returning receiver? No one that had even half that.
Ball would be in the two deep and play at the top schools, and Cobbs and Westbrook probably would, too. None of them would likely start but they might, and they'd certainly play.

I couldn't find anything showing that. Looks like his 247 composite was a 3*. Regardless, his offer list wasn't anything special. But he turned into a heck of a player so it's a moot point.
IU was his only P5 offer when he committed. He tried hard to get a UCLA offer, but they passed and he ended up at IU. Thank SL and GK, not necessarily in that order.

Both Ball and Cobbs would both start for most of the top five BIG programs. Specific needs and schemes would dictate, but they are both plenty good enough. Westbrook might find himself in the two-deep but again, needs prevail.

After thinking about it more, you're probably right. Depth is a huge problem and Brohm is doing his best to turn the roster over. For next year, 36% of the roster is brand new (freshmen, juco, or grad transfer). That's a huge percentage but it's good because he got rid of guys that weren't good fits or weren't going to play. Much tougher to turn over a roster in football than it is in basketball. Brohm has done well patching up holes but it will take a few years just to get our depth back to normal.

The biggest issue with building depth in football is that something that's a strength one year, can become a gaping hole in just 1 or 2 years. Plus the vast majority of players, even somewhat well rating ones, are not ready to contribute their first or even second year in the program. So even for a program that's recruiting relatively well, it just takes time to for a depleted team to regain stability since major contributors are moving on every year and new guys typically need a few years under their belt to become contributors.

Reactions: boiler1987
I'll name the guys that could start on the best B10 teams.

Scales
Fant
Crawford
Cronk
Westbrook
Cobbs
Ball

Guys that could get PT
Thomas
Martin
Hoff
Covington
Green
Hale
Lagow
Robinson
Oakes

IU is pretty talented.

I'll name the guys that could start on the best B10 teams.

Scales
Fant
Crawford
Cronk
Westbrook
Cobbs
Ball

Guys that could get PT
Thomas
Martin
Hoff
Covington
Green
Hale
Lagow
Robinson
Oakes

IU is pretty talented.

I don't think Cronk would start at OSU. He's good but don't think he'd start for all of the top programs in the conference. From your list, I'd say Scales, Fant, and maybe Westbrook or Cobbs. Don't think the others would start for the top teams.

I don't think Cronk would start at OSU. He's good but don't think he'd start for all of the top programs in the conference. From your list, I'd say Scales, Fant, and maybe Westbrook or Cobbs. Don't think the others would start for the top teams.
You don't think a freshmen all-American would play much at the top teams? Or Crawford, who was statistically one of the top safeties in the conference last year?

Ball would be in the two deep and play at the top schools, and Cobbs and Westbrook probably would, too. None of them would likely start but they might, and they'd certainly play.

I found this odd because Godwin was declared as one of the top WRs playing at PSU last year and yet both Westbrook and Yancey had more yards than Godwin or Darbough or Samuels.

Is this just your opinion or are you actually relying on stats?

Crawford would. A lot of guys would play but maybe not necessarily start.

Hell, even Yancey might start!

People need to consider that there are guys that don't play for the power houses would start at those places.
Austin Carr was probably better than all of them.

I found this odd because Godwin was declared as one of the top WRs playing at PSU last year and yet both Westbrook and Yancey had more yards than Godwin or Darbough or Samuels.

Is this just your opinion or are you actually relying on stats?
I'm relying on watching them play and observing their actual performances. Statistics often mislead, especially when it comes to pass happy teams.

You don't think a freshmen all-American would play much at the top teams? Or Crawford, who was statistically one of the top safeties in the conference last year?

I said I don't think he'd start. I think he's good and would play but wouldn't necessarily start.

I'm relying on watching them play and observing their actual performances. Statistics often mislead, especially when it comes to pass happy teams.

Yes....sigh..... because your untrained eye is much more reliable than actual data.

I rely on the expert analysts who have stated repeatedly in many preseason publications that both Cobbs and Westbrook are probably two of the top five or six receivers in the conference.
And, these folks are people that watch these guys in depth… Not just an IU fan who wants to put a negative slant on everything with the program.

I bet you didn't watch five Big Ten games last year to even make such a post.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT