ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs PU recruiting analysis

gbmhoosier

All-Big Ten
Feb 19, 2004
Purdue seems to have a pretty good class, but lets dig into the numbers. They currently have 21 commits and have the 37th ranked class (although this changes daily) with 1,110 point on the Rivals system. Given that PU has reached 20 commits, which is the max that can be counted in the rankings, their class rank has probably reached its pinnacle and other schools with fewer commits will start to pass Purdue in the rankings. The average Rivals points per commit is 52.9, based on the 21 commits. However, one commit is not ranked at all. Removing this commit from the analysis, the average points per commit rises to 55.5. Of the 21 commits, only 6 commits have P5 offers or 28.6%. The average rating per commit is 5.21 based on 21 commits and 5.47 based on 20 commits.

Purdue has landed 3 recruits from the State of Indiana. None of them had P5 offers and Indiana did not offer any of them. PU has 4 commits rated at 5.6. Of these 4 commits, only one has a P5 offer.

Comparatively, IU currently has 11 commits and have the 62nd ranked class with 705 points on the Rivals system. The average points per commit is 64.1, based on the 11 commits. However, one commit is not ranked at all. Removing this commit from the analysis, the average points per commit rises to 70.5. If IU had 20 commits with average points of 70 points per commit, the class would have a total of 1,400 Rivals points, which would place it as being ranked 13th! Of the 11 commits, 8 commits have P5 offers or 72.7%. The average rating per commit is 5.06 based on 11 commits and 5.57 based on 10 commits. IU has one player from the State of Indiana as a commit and PU did not offer Jordan Jusevitch, likely because he committed so early.

I think it is fairly clear that IU is currently leading the recruiting battle between the two schools by a significant margin.

Reactions: RBB89
Purdue seems to have a pretty good class, but lets dig into the numbers. They currently have 21 commits and have the 37th ranked class (although this changes daily) with 1,110 point on the Rivals system. Given that PU has reached 20 commits, which is the max that can be counted in the rankings, their class rank has probably reached its pinnacle and other schools with fewer commits will start to pass Purdue in the rankings. The average Rivals points per commit is 52.9, based on the 21 commits. However, one commit is not ranked at all. Removing this commit from the analysis, the average points per commit rises to 55.5. Of the 21 commits, only 6 commits have P5 offers or 28.6%. The average rating per commit is 5.21 based on 21 commits and 5.47 based on 20 commits.

Purdue has landed 3 recruits from the State of Indiana. None of them had P5 offers and Indiana did not offer any of them. PU has 4 commits rated at 5.6. Of these 4 commits, only one has a P5 offer.

Comparatively, IU currently has 11 commits and have the 62nd ranked class with 705 points on the Rivals system. The average points per commit is 64.1, based on the 11 commits. However, one commit is not ranked at all. Removing this commit from the analysis, the average points per commit rises to 70.5. If IU had 20 commits with average points of 70 points per commit, the class would have a total of 1,400 Rivals points, which would place it as being ranked 13th! Of the 11 commits, 8 commits have P5 offers or 72.7%. The average rating per commit is 5.06 based on 11 commits and 5.57 based on 10 commits. IU has one player from the State of Indiana as a commit and PU did not offer Jordan Jusevitch, likely because he committed so early.

I think it is fairly clear that IU is currently leading the recruiting battle between the two schools by a significant margin.
The 6 out of 21 having power five offers is a big deal. We've been through this as well.

Why do you think it's reached it's pinnacle? We are in on several guys that have legit rankings that we can still land which would improve our overall class rankings. With how awful our last 4 years have been, I'm quite pleased we've done as well as we have. I think this coaching staff knows what types of players they need and have gotten guys to commit that they targeted early. If we add players like Andrew Cunningham, Antwaun Johnson, and others, our class ranking will only improve.

Why do you think it's reached it's pinnacle? We are in on several guys that have legit rankings that we can still land which would improve our overall class rankings. With how awful our last 4 years have been, I'm quite pleased we've done as well as we have. I think this coaching staff knows what types of players they need and have gotten guys to commit that they targeted early. If we add players like Andrew Cunningham, Antwaun Johnson, and others, our class ranking will only improve.
The reason it has pinnacled is that Rivals only counts the first 20 recruits. If you sign a 4 star recruit then that will move the needle, otherwise there won't be big changes. For instance if you sign a 5.6 rated player and he replaces the points for a 5.4 rated player you only pick up 30 points.

The reason it has pinnacled is that Rivals only counts the first 20 recruits. If you sign a 4 star recruit then that will move the needle, otherwise there won't be big changes. For instance if you sign a 5.6 rated player and he replaces the points for a 5.4 rated player you only pick up 30 points.

What about a 5.6 replacing a 5.2?

Good chance that the next Purdue commits are their highest rated yet. Should have a 4 star linebacker committing soon in Dingle. Another Indiana DE Madison Norris rated 5.6 is coming on a visit tomorrow and will commit good chance.

Sorry but Brohm is doing some good work out there, don't know how IU is out recruiting them?

Good chance that the next Purdue commits are their highest rated yet. Should have a 4 star linebacker committing soon in Dingle. Another Indiana DE Madison Norris rated 5.6 is coming on a visit tomorrow and will commit good chance.

Sorry but Brohm is doing some good work out there, don't know how IU is out recruiting them?
Unless he changes his mind , Norris was quoted on Wednesday as saying he wouldn't make a decision until sometime during or after his season. So I wouldn't say there is a "good chance" he will commit tomorrow.

Because 15 of Purdue's 21 commitments don't have any other power 5 offers. 7 are 2 stars. That's a problem. If that was our class, you would be ripping it endlessly. We did this during the Bill Lynch era. Getting as many commitments as possible as quickly as possible is pointless.

Indiana's class, so far, has a much better concentration of higher rated kids and better offers. And far fewer reaches. Purdue's class ranking is going to drop like a rock when the classes even out size wise. Also, Norris isn't about to commit. That goes against everything he has said and I've read. This reminds me of the basketball recruit we just got that your board was convinced was about to commit to you guys.

We will see what happens in February, but I cannot imagine that you guys actually think your class is going to stay in the 30s.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnsyRick
Because 15 of Purdue's 21 commitments don't have any other power 5 offers. 7 are 2 stars. That's a problem. If that was our class, you would be ripping it endlessly. We did this during the Bill Lynch era. Getting as many commitments as possible as quickly as possible is pointless.

Indiana's class, so far, has a much better concentration of higher rated kids and better offers. And far fewer reaches. Purdue's class ranking is going to drop like a rock when the classes even out the size wise. Also, Norris isn't about to commit. That goes against everything he has said and I've read. This reminds me of the basketball recruit we just got that your board was convinced was about to commit to you guys.

We will see what happens in February, but I cannot imagine that you guys actually think your class is going to stay in the 30s.

I don't necessarily think it'll stay in the 30's but I think it can be a top 50 class which we never achieved during the Hazell era. Brohm was successful at WKU and I'll trust his evaluation skills. These are all guys he's had come through to camp at Purdue, has seen in person, and decided he thought they were good enough for a scholarship. He's re-established our recruiting in Indiana and even though it hasn't been with guys with significant P5 offers, he's made inroads at schools that pump out a lot of talent like Ben Davis, Carmel, and LC. That can only help with future recruiting efforts. The fact that we are one of the top options for a player the caliber of Andrew Cunningham speaks volumes to Brohm and his staff. Last year, he wouldn't have given us the time of day. Now, there's a solid chance he ends up in WL.

I don't necessarily think it'll stay in the 30's but I think it can be a top 50 class which we never achieved during the Hazell era. Brohm was successful at WKU and I'll trust his evaluation skills. These are all guys he's had come through to camp at Purdue, has seen in person, and decided he thought they were good enough for a scholarship. He's re-established our recruiting in Indiana and even though it hasn't been with guys with significant P5 offers, he's made inroads at schools that pump out a lot of talent like Ben Davis, Carmel, and LC. That can only help with future recruiting efforts. The fact that we are one of the top options for a player the caliber of Andrew Cunningham speaks volumes to Brohm and his staff. Last year, he wouldn't have given us the time of day. Now, there's a solid chance he ends up in WL.
II would guess the end of year ranking to be 55-60 for the Purdue class.

Hell with what we have dealt with these past four seasons. I'm glad we have 6 players with P5 offers. Still a good chance to add some others. Also don't have a problem with getting back in the door at Ben Davis, Snider and LC. Get back into Cathedral and CG will help too.

Where do you think iu ends up?
One thing you have to remember... players tend to decomit from Sept to Jan before official signing day. Not sure if early signing rule will affect it this year, but I know PU and IU both loses players when the season plays out and some of the bigger programs come in late and steal a few commits. Don't coaches say recruiting does not really start until January. I think both programs are recruiting differently. Brohm needs players to fill a roster and begin preparing 2 & 3 string guys in the first couple of years. Fortunately IU is past that phase with the credit to Wilson. It took 3 season before Wilson had us competitive 2-3 deep at each spot. IU is trying to pull more quality than quantity at this point. Not a knock on either program. Brohm is cleaning up a program and rebuilding while Allen has a full cubboard to work with. I'm impressed with both coaches.

Reactions: ESalum86
IU will probably continually out-recruit Purdue as they should. IU is in a better location, has better facilities, has a larger fanbase(the stands aren't the end all be all), and we play a better schedule. Tom Allen is an Indiana native with many connections and Jeff Brohm still has 1 foot in Kentucky.

IU will probably continually out-recruit Purdue as they should. IU is in a better location, has better facilities, has a larger fanbase(the stands aren't the end all be all), and we play a better schedule. Tom Allen is an Indiana native with many connections and Jeff Brohm still has 1 foot in Kentucky.

Historically, Purdue has outrecruited IU. I think the fanbase comment is debatable. I believe your attendance has only surpassed ours in the last 4 or 5 years and that's due to some of the worst football ever played at Purdue. Your basketball fanbase is significant but football has always been second-fiddle in Bloomington. Who cares if Brohm has one foot in Kentucky? He has plenty of connections and his staff does too. The facilities comment will only be true for the near future. Before too long we will be on a similar level. Not sure why you're discounting Purdue so much here. The last 4 years are the worst you'll ever see at Purdue and we were still able to land a solid coach who will get us back to respectability.

The 6 out of 21 having power five offers is a big deal. We've been through this as well.

If Deen and Cravaak are two of those six, those are marginal P5 offers.

Also PU can promise immediate PT, IU less so.

Historically, Purdue has outrecruited IU. I think the fanbase comment is debatable. I believe your attendance has only surpassed ours in the last 4 or 5 years and that's due to some of the worst football ever played at Purdue. Your basketball fanbase is significant but football has always been second-fiddle in Bloomington. Who cares if Brohm has one foot in Kentucky? He has plenty of connections and his staff does too. The facilities comment will only be true for the near future. Before too long we will be on a similar level. Not sure why you're discounting Purdue so much here. The last 4 years are the worst you'll ever see at Purdue and we were still able to land a solid coach who will get us back to respectability.
The last 4 years might be the worst we'll ever see, but not by much. With a screen name "boiler1987" , I'm sure you remember Fred Akers whose 12-31 mark isn't much different from Haz's 9-33. Only to be followed by Jim Coletto's 21-42 mark, making the 10 years between 87-96 a total of 33-73.
Before you come back with IU's futility over the years, no one here has denied it. The difference being many of you PU fans act like your program "was" a perennial powerhouse. You had a good run under Tiller, and have a better overall football history than IU, but you have had plenty of down years also, should we talk Leon Burtnett ?
Point being, PU is not a football blue blood, the last 4 years were not just a down blip on the radar screen (you've had plenty of down) and there is no assurance that Brohm rights the ship. We are all glad you boys are happy with your new coach, he may end up being great (Tom Allen may well also), but until he proves it on the field and wins Big Ten games, all your beliefs are just wishful thinking.

Yeah flipping Northern Illinois recruits is great work.

IU isn't the same program they were from 1995-2010. The stadium has went from a dump to at least above average. The weight room went from 5,000 sq ft to 25,000 sq ft. The practice facilities were updated. The coaching salaries have been doubled and allowed them to build better staffing. We still don't recruit top tier classes, but fighting with teams like Iowa and West Virginia for recruits is better than fighting with Central Michigan and East Carolina like we used to. The fan attendance has only improved slightly but a couple of 8-9 win seasons could change that perception. Point being, yes Purdue may become relevant under Brohm, but it's not going to bring IUs program down. The investment has been made.

There is a huge huge difference between recruits with no power five offers in July than recruits with no power 5 offers in January. This is what we went through with Hazell, hence why his recruiting was a disaster. Brohm and crew are identifying talent early and getting them to come to camps on campus. Evaluating and offering. Would not be shocked if a lot of these guys get moved up and get more offers and some will probably jump at those offers.

We will see if it pays off but I for one trust Brohm's evaluation methods. Competing coaches do as well, that's why currently they're telling recruits that Brohm will have moved up by the time that recruit graduates. s

He's also done a hell of a job adding 5th years aka free agents to this year teams. Basically every 5th year player he wanted he got.

Both programs have invested in football finally. Only problem for IU is that they are in the East....
Thank God Purdue is in the West

A problem most PU fans fail to account for is the change in scheduling. A rebuilding program can't go and schedule 4 wins anymore.

Only 3 OOC games, and one must be a P5 team. It makes it much more difficult to get to 6 wins. I know several PU fans that think they will be in a bowl game in Broh's second year.

I would be impressed if he did that in year 4.

A problem most PU fans fail to account for is the change in scheduling. A rebuilding program can't go and schedule 4 wins anymore.

Only 3 OOC games, and one must be a P5 team. It makes it much more difficult to get to 6 wins. I know several PU fans that think they will be in a bowl game in Broh's second year.

I would be impressed if he did that in year 4.

That's true but we also benefit from being in the easier West as well. I don't think it'll necessarily be next year but I could see it in year 3. Even if we had a decent team this year, our schedule is still brutal. I'm pretty sure it's one of the top 5 toughest schedules in football this year.

There is a huge huge difference between recruits with no power five offers in July than recruits with no power 5 offers in January. This is what we went through with Hazell, hence why his recruiting was a disaster. Brohm and crew are identifying talent early and getting them to come to camps on campus. Evaluating and offering. Would not be shocked if a lot of these guys get moved up and get more offers and some will probably jump at those offers.

We will see if it pays off but I for one trust Brohm's evaluation methods. Competing coaches do as well, that's why currently they're telling recruits that Brohm will have moved up by the time that recruit graduates. s

He's also done a hell of a job adding 5th years aka free agents to this year teams. Basically every 5th year player he wanted he got.

Both programs have invested in football finally. Only problem for IU is that they are in the East....
Thank God Purdue is in the West

Playing in the East isn't that bad. We've shown we can hang in with the "Big 3." Will IU beat those guys on a consistent basis? No. But I still think we are capable of 8-9 win seasons in that division.

That's true but we also benefit from being in the easier West as well. I don't think it'll necessarily be next year but I could see it in year 3. Even if we had a decent team this year, our schedule is still brutal. I'm pretty sure it's one of the top 5 toughest schedules in football this year.

You still have to play Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota. No guppies there. And their will be years that Purdue will have to play OSU, Mich, or PSU.

Playing in the East isn't that bad. We've shown we can hang in with the "Big 3." Will IU beat those guys on a consistent basis? No. But I still think we are capable of 8-9 win seasons in that division.

8-9 win seasons? That seems pretty tough in that division. There's a difference between hanging with the Big 3 and actually beating them. Even an average coach like Danny Hope beat Ohio State twice in 4 years and beat Michigan once too. It's tough beating them.

You still have to play Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern and Minnesota. No guppies there. And their will be years that Purdue will have to play OSU, Mich, or PSU.

I'll take that over Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State any day of the week.

The last 4 years might be the worst we'll ever see, but not by much. With a screen name "boiler1987" , I'm sure you remember Fred Akers whose 12-31 mark isn't much different from Haz's 9-33. Only to be followed by Jim Coletto's 21-42 mark, making the 10 years between 87-96 a total of 33-73.
Before you come back with IU's futility over the years, no one here has denied it. The difference being many of you PU fans act like your program "was" a perennial powerhouse. You had a good run under Tiller, and have a better overall football history than IU, but you have had plenty of down years also, should we talk Leon Burtnett ?
Point being, PU is not a football blue blood, the last 4 years were not just a down blip on the radar screen (you've had plenty of down) and there is no assurance that Brohm rights the ship. We are all glad you boys are happy with your new coach, he may end up being great (Tom Allen may well also), but until he proves it on the field and wins Big Ten games, all your beliefs are just wishful thinking.
Leon Burtnetts Purdue teams did beat IU four times in five tries.Purdue has had six seasons since 1990 where they won only one Big Ten game or none at all,while IU has had 12 such seasons since 1995.Purdue is not a football blue blood,but Jeff Brohm is surely an improvement over Purdues last two coaches.Wouldnt it be great if Coach Allen and Brohm both turn out to be successful?It would be neat to see fans across Indiana care about the Bucket series again..

Reactions: codylance
8-9 win seasons? That seems pretty tough in that division. There's a difference between hanging with the Big 3 and actually beating them. Even an average coach like Danny Hope beat Ohio State twice in 4 years and beat Michigan once too. It's tough beating them.

If Lagow wasn't such a turnover machine last year, we'd have beaten all of them. Those teams are not Alabama or LSU. Danny Hope beat 2 watered down OSU teams. I've watched IU go toe to toe with OSUs top 5 teams the last few years. We had them dead to rights 2 years ago when they were #1 and Jordan Howard and Nate Sudfeld left the game with high ankle sprains. The luck of Indiana football.

Last edited:
If Lagow wasn't such a turnover machine last year, we'd have beaten all of them. Those teams are not Alabama or LSU. Danny Hope beat 2 watered down OSU teams. I've watched IU go toe to toe with OSUs top 5 teams the last few years. We had them dead to rights 2 years ago when they were #1 and Jordan Howard and Nate Sudfeld left the game with high ankle sprains. The luck of Indiana football.
You can say that OSU was watered down in 2011 when Purdue beat them,but that Buckeye team beat IU and OSU was ranked 7th in the country with Jim Tressel as coach when Purdue upset them in 2009..

You can say that OSU was watered down in 2011 when Purdue beat them,but that Buckeye team beat IU and OSU was ranked 7th in the country with Jim Tressel as coach when Purdue upset them in 2009..

They weren't very good. Jim Tressel had them trending downward. Nothing Purdue has done since the early Tiller years, is impressive.

If David Blough wasn't such a turnover machine, we would've beaten you last year. We can play the hypothetical game all day. Watered down? In 2009, we beat them at home and they finished the year 11-2, won the Rose Bowl, and finished the year number 5 in the AP. I'll give you beating them in 2011 when they had Fickell as they weren't great then but the win in 2009 was in no way, shape, or form "watered down." That was an awesome victory.

ADVERTISEMENT