ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs Kansas for Mgbako

It seems like Kansas might have the NIL game down a little better than IU does? We struck out last year, and this year, we've whiffed on a handful of kids. We did get Ware, but I wouldn't say the competition for him was overly stiff, for some reason, despite his talent and high rankings.

Kansas, in the last couple years, has gotten some really good and sought after transfers. Namely McCullar and Dickinson, but also Timberlake, who we were after fairly hard early on.

Mgbako isn't a transfer, obviously. But his late recruitment, after opening up from Duke, gives it that sort of dynamic and vibe.

My heart is on IU...my money would be on Kansas with this one. I doubt KU has any more money than IU does, at this point, but they sure seem to know how to use what they have better than we do.
We had 5 transfers on campus and got 3 commits, if we get Mgbako we will be at 4 commits from 6 visits, I would think that is pretty good

on the surface, my feelings are "get this kid, and we have a potential top 10 team next year...yay!"

Deep inside, I'm thinking "Pay to play. that's we're we are now....the name on the front of the jersey no longer matters". And then I start feeling old and grumpy.

Only good news in my world is winter is over, the local waters have warmed, the bass are getting hungry, and I'm heading back up to northern WI in a few weeks to catch every walleye and smallmouth within 50 mile radius.

Close the deal CMW.

ABC-Always-Be-Closing-810x507.jpg
Actually, there is even better news: Last night it was still light out at 8 pm where we are, a far cry from the getting dark at 4:30 crap we deal with here in the winter.

Oh, and if it’s me on your lawn, please be nice. I’m with you on the pay for play stuff!

Actually, there is even better news: Last night it was still light out at 8 pm where we are, a far cry from the getting dark at 4:30 crap we deal with here in the winter.

Oh, and if it’s me on your lawn, please be nice. I’m with you on the pay for play stuff!
The "old and grumpy" part?

Reactions: .Gerdis
Only good news in my world is winter is over, the local waters have warmed, the bass are getting hungry, and I'm heading back up to northern WI in a few weeks to catch every walleye and smallmouth within 50 mile radius.
The Wisky/Michigan UP border looks like paradise: nothing but lakes. I'm going to be spending some time in Northern Michigan fishing pretty soon and may get a wild hair up my ass and check out the UP. The UP looks pretty awesome.

They were always going to be very hard to beat so if we lose out not really a surprise. We seem to finish second in alot of these battles.
You are an expert at anything related to losing. It’s clear to me why you seem to speak so often about it.

We had 5 transfers on campus and got 3 commits, if we get Mgbako we will be at 4 commits from 6 visits, I would think that is pretty good
I don't think our NIL system, or efforts, are necessarily bad. Just seeming like KU's are a tier above ours.

They might be the best overall college basketball program going right now, though. So if we continue to compete with them for recruits and transfers, probably a good sign.

I don't think our NIL system, or efforts, are necessarily bad. Just seeming like KU's are a tier above ours.

They might be the best overall college basketball program going right now, though. So if we continue to compete with them for recruits and transfers, probably a good sign.
Maybe . . . UCONN might have something to say about that . . . .

Maybe . . . UCONN might have something to say about that . . . .
For sure...if Hurley keeps them rolling. Kansas is MUCH more consistently great though than UConn has been. And they do it in a more difficult conference, top to bottom. Gonzaga would probably be another rival, but without breaking through and winning a natty, its harder to keep them up there...and they'll always be hampered by playing in the WCC.

Reactions: Sope Creek
LOL, TOS says that she also just started following Carmelo. Makes me wonder if Carmelo was on speakerphone during the visit. Between Adam Howard placing a Nigerian flag in MM's IU locker (which MM's dad loved) and potentially this, it looks like our staff is doing everything they can...
Seems so. This comes down to the kid himself and potential outside influences.

Repeatedly losing these recruiting wars is going to take a toll.
It could...

Losing 2 in the same year, to the same school, that also signed 2 very, very big dollar guys in Dickinson and Morris... Well I hope it causes Woody and the whole "organization" to reflect a little bit, and figure out exactly why that happened...if it happens.

It could...

Losing 2 in the same year, to the same school, that also signed 2 very, very big dollar guys in Dickinson and Morris... Well I hope it causes Woody and the whole "organization" to reflect a little bit, and figure out exactly why that happened...if it happens.
Guys on another IU board are all in on IU getting him.

@chris007 even stated that he's never heard Woody want a player more.

He's gotta be ours, somebody play devils advocate to me on this.

• 1,423 posts
  • LocationIndiana
Posted 26 minutes ago
Feels like the Ware recruitment to me. Takes an IU visit and then cancels his remaining visits. Ultimately picks IU. My CB - this Burger Boy will be in Candy Stripes next year.

• Haha
Reactions: mike41703
on the surface, my feelings are "get this kid, and we have a potential top 10 team next year...yay!"

Deep inside, I'm thinking "Pay to play. that's we're we are now....the name on the front of the jersey no longer matters". And then I start feeling old and grumpy.

Close the deal CMW.

ABC-Always-Be-Closing-810x507.jpg

The Wisky/Michigan UP border looks like paradise: nothing but lakes. I'm going to be spending some time in Northern Michigan fishing pretty soon and may get a wild hair up my ass and check out the UP. The UP looks pretty awesome.

hittin up the Porkies?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Going up via 31? Or up through Wisconsin?
I have not been to the UP. But, if I were just going to the western part of the UP, yes. I'm going east of the Mackinac Bridge in the LP, and there are some lakes and trout streams I'll be visiting. If I do go to the UP, it would be through the Mackinac Bridge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT