ADVERTISEMENT

IU vs Eastern Michigan Prediction Thread

We get our first look at what IU basketball will be in the Mike Woodson era on Tuesday night. Eastern Michigan finished last season at 16-16 and comes into this season predicted to finish 11th in the MAC and with a new head coach, Stan Heath. Funny thing is his last game at the previous MAC school he coached, Kent St, was against us in the Elite 8 when we beat them to go to the Final 4 in 2002. Now he's making his debut at EMU against us. Think we start off slowly, but pull away eventually.

IU 75 Eastern Michigan 55

Man, can’t wait for this generation of IU hoops to begin. I have a good feeling that it’s going to be a generation with multiple banners… and I’m not referring to the conference champion types of banners.

IU falls behind 2-0 tonight and then cruises to a 82-48 victory.

We get our first look at what IU basketball will be in the Mike Woodson era on Tuesday night. Eastern Michigan finished last season at 16-16 and comes into this season predicted to finish 11th in the MAC and with a new head coach, Stan Heath. Funny thing is his last game at the previous MAC school he coached, Kent St, was against us in the Elite 8 when we beat them to go to the Final 4 in 2002. Now he's making his debut at EMU against us. Think we start off slowly, but pull away eventually.

IU 75 Eastern Michigan 55
I'll say we win by 20 ish, in a relatively low scoring game. 70-50 type score.

1st game, new coaching staff, lots of new kids playing their first game, as a Hoosier, in AH...recipe for nervousness and some tight shooting arms. I'll be much more interested in how we defend, the types of rotations we play, the flow and rhythm we get into on both ends of the court, etc... Obviously need to get a win, but how we win is more important than the spread.

Want a 20 pt. half on D. Interested in pacing, but not going to get too excited about the offense unless they crack 100 or shoot 60% from deep.

Who am I kidding? "Too excited" sort of comes with the territory...

Also EMU's 1st game, new coaches and on the road playing in AH. I doubt IU will be the most affected by some of the same circumstances and playing at home.

They are not a joke of a NC opponent at all in terms of history. They have a new coach, as do we, but not to be taken lightly just cause we have more talent on paper. I can think of 2-3 players on our team that would probably struggle to start for them in their conference. I do not envision a laugher of TJD just dunking on them at will the whole game. They could be very fast and take us out with shooting and a good start. Remember Earl Boykins ... that's the type of players they get ... too small, not heralded, but maybe faster than anyone we got and if they dictate play, we'll probably not look very good.

Reactions: mathboy
IND 76, EMU 72.

Until I see that we don’t struggle, I can’t pick us to not struggle. The nucleus of a team that wasn’t very good last year is back. I hope Woody isn’t Arch (who rode Crean’s players into a 19 point home loss to INST in his first game).
Three new starters, so not really the same nucleus. Plus the best player off the bench is probably Bates.

They are not a joke of a NC opponent at all in terms of history. They have a new coach, as do we, but not to be taken lightly just cause we have more talent on paper. I can think of 2-3 players on our team that would probably struggle to start for them in their conference. I do not envision a laugher of TJD just dunking on them at will the whole game. They could be very fast and take us out with shooting and a good start. Remember Earl Boykins ... that's the type of players they get ... too small, not heralded, but maybe faster than anyone we got and if they dictate play, we'll probably not look very good.
you do realize you're referring to an EMU team from ancient history? Stan is starting with almost nothing in the cupboard. He's a great coach, but it's going to take a few years. We should torch these guys with ease

IND 76, EMU 72.

Until I see that we don’t struggle, I can’t pick us to not struggle. The nucleus of a team that wasn’t very good last year is back. I hope Woody isn’t Arch (who rode Crean’s players into a 19 point home loss to INST in his first game).
Where have you been? 3 starters were not here last year. If we struggle, it will be due to team cohesion IMO. But we should win well enough.

IU 82 - E. Michigan 67...TJD proves to be an unleashed beast this season, playing with unbridled confidence never before seen in an IU uniform. The crowd yells "Geronimo!" three times. IU makes 11 of 20 free throws and hits 6 of 14 three pointers. Woodson reveals his reserved court-side demeanor.

Where have you been? 3 starters were not here last year. If we struggle, it will be due to team cohesion IMO. But we should win well enough.
One was here who couldn't get on the court (Stewart).

There are still a lot of returnees, some of whom will come off the bench. But I stand by what I said--we return a lot of players from a team that wasn't very good.

Good call .... you got your wish.

Pretty sloppy offensively, but you have to like the defensive effort especially on the ball, and on rotations.

Missed some bunnies and settled for too many jump shots, but offense is 10x more free-flowing this year than last and the passiveness has gone way down. Good to see Phinisee playing well and more importantly aggressive.

The guys playing tonight aren’t the same as last year.
Enough were. TJD, Race and Phinisee are the still the nucleus (even with Phin coming off the bench), and they looked a lot like last year (foul shooting bad, couldn’t hit a 3 in the second half, and too many EMU spurts). A lot of room for improvement. And Geronimo and Galloway…yikes.

X was great. Parker and Kopp struggled big time. That’s a concern.

It’s a better result than Arch’s first game. But most of you thought we wouldn’t struggle. That wasn’t a good thought.

Man, can’t wait for this generation of IU hoops to begin. I have a good feeling that it’s going to be a generation with multiple banners… and I’m not referring to the conference champion types of banners.

IU falls behind 2-0 tonight and then cruises to a 82-48 victory.
Right on! It was as easy as everyone thought.

Enough were. TJD, Race and Phinisee are the still the nucleus (even with Phin coming off the bench), and they looked a lot like last year (foul shooting bad, couldn’t hit a 3 in the second half, and too many EMU spurts). A lot of room for improvement. And Geronimo and Galloway…yikes.

X was great. Parker and Kopp struggled big time. That’s a concern.

It’s a better result than Arch’s first game. But most of you thought we wouldn’t struggle. That wasn’t a good thought.
Agree on Parker and Kopp. They had a really tough time outside of about 4-5 nice plays. At least one of them has to step up consistently. The good news is that we won a game where I am not sure we can shoot worse from 3…

Reactions: T.M.P. and SRIV94
Enough with the Debbie downers. We won and the trajectory is nothing but up from here. CMW will be enshrined in IUBB lore eventually (and I won’t be wrong since he already is 😉)

Reactions: Spartans9312
I’m thinking that it will take a few games to start hitting on all cylinders. However, there is too much talent on the IU team to lose this game. I think it’s close, but IU pulls it out, leasing by 8-10 points for most of the second half. 71 - 62.
Missed by a basket. Not bad. 68-62. Good start.

you do realize you're referring to an EMU team from ancient history? Stan is starting with almost nothing in the cupboard. He's a great coach, but it's going to take a few years. We should torch these guys with ease
Uh Hmmm ... really?

Stan has nothing on the bench this year. Probably 3-4 years to build a MAC power, which he likely will. In the meantime IU in a laugher 97-51
I meant we‘ll struggle to score for the last 10 mins and the coldest hand in the building will start scoring at will. And no laughing 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT