ADVERTISEMENT

IU still needs shooters

So any bench assistant at the collegiate level is more qualified than a guy who has a decade of experience being the head guy at the highest level? This is the most ridiculous of hills to die on.
Let me ask you this….Texas job is now open…..you think they go after a college coach or an NBA assistant??

Let me ask you this….Texas job is now open…..you think they go after a college coach or an NBA assistant??
I don't care who Texas goes after, has no bearing on whether or not Mike Woodson is qualified to coach college basketball. I would be willing to bet that whoever Texas hires is about the same age as Mike Woodson has basketball experience both as a player in the NBA and coaching.

I don't care who Texas goes after, has no bearing on whether or not Mike Woodson is qualified to coach college basketball. I would be willing to bet that whoever Texas hires is about the same age as Mike Woodson has basketball experience both as a player in the NBA and coaching.
As I stated earlier, it was a roll of the dice. NBA coaches don’t fair well typically in the college game. He’s here because he’s an alum. Period. Wouldn’t have gotten hired by any other college program.

As I stated earlier, it was a roll of the dice. NBA coaches don’t fair well typically in the college game. He’s here because he’s an alum. Period. Wouldn’t have gotten hired by any other college program.
You could make the argument that just about every coaching hire is a roll of the dice. Chris Beard was the biggest "can't miss prospect" in a long time and is out after year and likely done coaching at any significant program. It's bullshit to say Mike Woodson wasn't qualified to coach basketball at Indiana.

Not a huge proponent of it, but with X out indefinitely and Race appearing to be headed for the same fate, might have to implement some zone defense going forward. IU already struggles enough guarding the 3 point line, but IU's on-ball defense is just horrific. I think IU has enough length out on the perimeter to play a competitive zone, but if anything it helps protect guys like Kopp and Geronimo who are going to be tasked with guarding guys like Keegan Murray going forward. Fouling straight line drivers are going to be the death of this team. Don't have the depth going forward when fouling becomes your best defense.
Totally agree with this. No one that played last night could guard driving wings. I would’ve liked to have seen Banks get a crack at Murray. Probably would’ve failed, but he wouldn’t have done any worse than what we ran out there all night.

So any bench assistant at the collegiate level is more qualified than a guy who has a decade of experience being the head guy at the highest level? This is the most ridiculous of hills to die on.
Different game. Give me a guy like painter over an nba head coach coming in.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
What 20 year veteran is giving up their seat to go coach another program? I don't care if its IU or not. Guys who are at their schools ~20 years are there for a reason. They ain't leaving. The people who think IU is going to hire away a Mark Few, Jay Wright, Scott Drew, etc are delusional.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Painter and Gard at Wisconsin can coach circles around Woodson and with on paper far less talent than IU has. We have four top 35 ranked players and Wisconsin has maybe a couple fringe top 100 players at best. Their highest ranked recruit on the team was ranked #127. Sad.

I told you this wouldnt be suprising knowing Fife was let go and Phinisee transferred etc. How this is surprising is beyond me.
IU's defense would have taken hit regardless if Fife was here or not given the amount of injuries to key personnel. It's not an excuse to be this bad but to not expect a pretty significant drop off given the current injuries of this team is silly, and no career assistant like Fife was going to change that. IU had a top 10 defense through the first month of the season and that's with playing (and beating) two top 10 KenPom offenses.

How is a guy who has been a head coach for over a decade at the highest level of basketball not "qualified" for this job? What are the qualifications for being a head coach collegiately? Not sold on Woodson long term and has an uphill battle to climb this year given we're about to be real shorthanded, but spare me with this qualification bullshit. Was Knight qualified to coach IU after being the head coach at a service academy for a few years?
Completely agree and wish I could like more. I am however certainly sold on Woodson long term, although for Woodson long term will like be 5-6 years no matter how successful.

Woodson can coach. I firmly believe prior to injuries this was on it’s way to being a 22-26 win team. That is fine progression for a coach. Unfortunately the overblown “we are the favorites of a weak Big Ten” talk turn what should have been tempered expectations into crazy expectations for year 2.

Completely agree and wish I could like more. I am however certainly sold on Woodson long term, although for Woodson long term will like be 5-6 years no matter how successful.

Woodson can coach. I firmly believe prior to injuries this was on it’s way to being a 22-26 win team. That is fine progression for a coach. Unfortunately the overblown “we are the favorites of a weak Big Ten” talk turn what should have been tempered expectations into crazy expectations for year 2.
There are a lot of things that go into being a successful COLLEGE basketball coach. I think Woody is really good at a number of them, and uniquely fits at IU in a lot of ways because of his past experiences.

But I don't think there can be any question that he's not been good at developing consistency in his program, and that he isn't a very good in game coach, in a lot of ways.

Taking it all in total, I'm not as down on him yet as I was Crean at many times, or as down on him as I am Allen on the football side right now. But man, I sure hope he closes the gap a little bit on what have been his obvious weaknesses. Its going to be tough to take that next step forward until he does.

There are a lot of things that go into being a successful COLLEGE basketball coach. I think Woody is really good at a number of them, and uniquely fits at IU in a lot of ways because of his past experiences.

But I don't think there can be any question that he's not been good at developing consistency in his program, and that he isn't a very good in game coach, in a lot of ways.

Taking it all in total, I'm not as down on him yet as I was Crean at many times, or as down on him as I am Allen on the football side right now. But man, I sure hope he closes the gap a little bit on what have been his obvious weaknesses. Its going to be tough to take that next step forward until he does.
I won’t say you are wrong. But I will say it’s too early to make statements like that halfway through year 2. I believe he will develop consistency. Comparing him to coaches who have had programs for 10+ years isn’t fair. He literally has I think 5 recruits who are freshmen and sophomores and personally I like what I have seen in 2 of the 3 who have gotten significant playing time.

Lets not forget that Woodson was. Head coach in the NBA for years. That generally doesn’t happen to people who aren’t good coaches.

I understand the frustration and desire to immediately become a great team again. That just rarely happens. Success is typically (though not exclusively) gradual.

Reactions: Spartans9312
All this love for Painter who has been at Purdue since 2005 and has made it out of the sweet 16 once! Many would consider the last 18 years pretty forgettable for IU basketball and he’s won the big ten 1 more time than IU has in that timeframe. Last year he had a top 5 pick and this years likely player of the year and didn’t win squat.

All this love for Painter who has been at Purdue since 2005 and has made it out of the sweet 16 once! Many would consider the last 18 years pretty forgettable for IU basketball and he’s won the big ten 1 more time than IU has in that timeframe. Last year he had a top 5 pick and this years likely player of the year and didn’t win squat.
He has made the tourney 13 of the last 15 years. I would not call it love I would call it simply stating he has had far more success in the last 15 years than IU has had. Most of us have so lowered our expectations for IU simply making the tourney is all we want at this point and we can barely even do that in most years. Getting past the sweet sixeteen right now is not important we simply need a coach who can get us to the tourney at least 8 of every 10 years.

He doesn’t get the talent that Iu gets. Just watch his teams. They play harder, they play smarter and he has a system.

He doesn’t get the talent that Iu gets. Just watch his teams. They play harder, they play smarter and he has a system.
He doesn't get the talent IU gets because he doesn't run a system conducive to sending players to the NBA. He has what, 2-3 first round draft picks in almost 20 years? And only one which has ever been any kind of mainstay in the league? Ivey will become the second down the road but he just doesn't run an attractive system to high level recruits.

Painter has it made at Purdue, he isn't dumb, he knows the game. Recruit high floor players that keep you in the NCAA tournament picture every year and beat your rival, especially when they're down, which IU has for the latter part of a decade. But the type of players Painter recruits are typically low ceiling guys and its why Purdue continually disappoints in March. I'd love to be a consistent tournament team every year like Purdue, but I'd also be disappointed if my tenured head coach of almost 20 years failed to adapt.

Reactions: Mobes
He has made the tourney 13 of the last 15 years. I would not call it love I would call it simply stating he has had far more success in the last 15 years than IU has had. Most of us have so lowered our expectations for IU simply making the tourney is all we want at this point and we can barely even do that in most years. Getting past the sweet sixeteen right now is not important we simply need a coach who can get us to the tourney at least 8 of every 10 years.
That’s clearly not ALL we want because woody did that last year and people on this board want him fired and he’s 1/1 on tourney appearances thus far.

He doesn't get the talent IU gets because he doesn't run a system conducive to sending players to the NBA. He has what, 2-3 first round draft picks in almost 20 years? And only one which has ever been any kind of mainstay in the league? Ivey will become the second down the road but he just doesn't run an attractive system to high level recruits.

Painter has it made at Purdue, he isn't dumb, he knows the game. Recruit high floor players that keep you in the NCAA tournament picture every year and beat your rival, especially when they're down, which IU has for the latter part of a decade. But the type of players Painter recruits are typically low ceiling guys and its why Purdue continually disappoints in March. I'd love to be a consistent tournament team every year like Purdue, but I'd also be disappointed if my tenured head coach of almost 20 years failed to adapt.
I would take painter’s career at IU over the last 18 years vs what we have had any day of the week.

That’s clearly not ALL we want because woody did that last year and people on this board want him fired and he’s 1/1 on tourney appearances thus far.
Who asked for him to be fired? We were picked to win the big ten and so far we look no better than last year I think people have every right to be very frusturated. You can blame injuries all you want but Iowa was without one of their best starters as well last night.

I would take painter’s career at IU over the last 18 years vs what we have had any day of the week.
For sure and Purdue this year on paper is not all that talented either. They start two freshman guards neither of who were highly ranked at all but are killing it. Edy was ranked like #450th and he has turned him into the best big man in the league. They have no senior starters on the the squad they are pretty young.

I think he would have had a better body of work at IU because he would have gotten better talent
Why do you assume that? He's a long tenured head coach at a very respectable basketball school in a basketball crazed state. He doesn't attract top talent at Purdue because he knows a lot of type tier guys don't really fit his "system" nor does top tier talent want to play in his system. It's hard to recruit a top flight PG to a system that doesn't feature or need a true PG nor do a lot of of top tier guys with NBA aspirations want to play in an offense that runs through a 7 foot, back to the basket player almost every year. Painter is great at what he does and that's getting guys who fit his system, but a lot of those guys are low ceiling players and compromise Purdue's ability to win in March. Unless you think he totally changes his approach and philosophy, he'd struggle recruiting here.

I don't disagree that he'd have better luck at landing the higher rated token "in-state" players at IU, but I think you're crazy if you think he'd waltz into Bloomington and start plucking national 5 stars just because "it's Indiana". That's not his style nor his fit. And I think he's perfectly comfortable with that. Plenty of teams with recent national success (Virginia, Wisconsin, Texas Tech) run "systems" that aren't conducive to the NBA who don't get type flight talent either, it's not limited to Purdue. Archie got Romeo and TJD (who was going to IU regardless) but his overall recruiting was a joke despite coaching at Indiana and its because his offense wasn't catered to players with NBA dreams.

Who asked for him to be fired? We were picked to win the big ten and so far we look no better than last year I think people have every right to be very frusturated. You can blame injuries all you want but Iowa was without one of their best starters as well last night.
“Woodson needs to go along with the regard who hired him. What a disaster. This university has no idea what it takes to compete at a big time level. Just a complete pushover all around.”

This is the 2nd post down on the thread “Shame on you Woody”. Pretty easy to find. I’m not even blaming injuries and I’m extremely frustrated with how last night went. This team is not as good as the pre season hype. But that’s the case for a ton of teams. Duke, Gonzaga, Kentucky, UNC just to name a few. Pre season rankings don’t mean a thing.

Why do you assume that? He's a long tenured head coach at a very respectable basketball school in a basketball crazed state. He doesn't attract top talent at Purdue because he knows a lot of type tier guys don't really fit his "system" nor does top tier talent want to play in his system. It's hard to recruit a top flight PG to a system that doesn't feature or need a true PG nor do a lot of of top tier guys with NBA aspirations want to play in an offense that runs through a 7 foot, back to the basket player almost every year. Painter is great at what he does and that's getting guys who fit his system, but a lot of those guys are low ceiling players and compromise Purdue's ability to win in March. Unless you think he totally changes his approach and philosophy, he'd struggle recruiting here.

I don't disagree that he'd have better luck at landing the higher rated token "in-state" players at IU, but I think you're crazy if you think he'd waltz into Bloomington and start plucking national 5 stars just because "it's Indiana". That's not his style nor his fit. And I think he's perfectly comfortable with that. Plenty of teams with recent national success (Virginia, Wisconsin, Texas Tech) run "systems" that aren't conducive to the NBA who don't get type flight talent either, it's not limited to Purdue. Archie got Romeo and TJD (who was going to IU regardless) but his overall recruiting was a joke despite coaching at Indiana and its because his offense wasn't catered to players with NBA dreams.
Regardless of your opinion, he is much better than what we have

Reactions: bailey777
As many have pointed out, no other major program would have hired him as HC. It's a Hail Mary that's failing.
That's a presumption, since he already had a job he liked in the NBA.

That's a presumption, since he already had a job he liked in the NBA.
That's not at all presumptive. If Woody hadn't played at IU, his name would have never come up during HC prospect discussions.

That's not at all presumptive. If Woody hadn't played at IU, his name would have never come up during HC prospect discussions.
It came up because he expressed interest. If he wasn't qualified to coach most of the team would have left after Archie was fired.

It came up because he expressed interest. If he wasn't qualified to coach most of the team would have left after Archie was fired.
The players stayed not because Woodson was named HC, but because Archie was gone.

Reactions: Lucy01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT