ADVERTISEMENT

IU coaching rumor of the day.

who can you say that? is alford our coach? i'm right so far

as for your characterization of Indiana's conservatism, you got it all wrong. the same folks who voted for that gov have had real trouble with Alford's handling of pierce. noticed we didn't hire him previously either.

but back to the point: Alford's not our coach = me being right (to date)
Good lord, I thought Ord was dense, you must be his kid

Good lord, I thought Ord was dense, you must be his kid

oh, so now it's on to attack mode? lol

how is the wifi in the Steve Alford All-American Inn anyway? is that you in the pic?

la-sp-steve-alford-inn-20150121

No, I don't think it is. But I don't think that means we're knocking on the door.

We're not where we can be. We're not where we expect (or, at least, should expect) to be.

Look, if Bill Self suddenly took ill and had to step down from his job at Kansas, the next coach would be stepping into a very healthy basketball program. I don't see what the big deal is about conceding that it's not the same case here. The next coach will have some rebuilding to do.

If that weren't the case, then we might as well say that Crean and the Harbaughs are right that he was fired in spite of being successful here.
We were ranked #3 in the country, beat Kansas and UNC...this year. That doesn't sound to me like a program in trouble, it sounds like a bad coaching job if you ask me.

Reactions: mazz and VanHoosier
I believe Alford is an upgrade from Crean. UCLA has committed a total of 9 turnovers in TWO NCAA tournament games? That is valuing the basketball. And UCLA runs the fast break when the opportunity is there, not all half court. So Alford and UCLA play fast but don't commit excessive turnover's like almost every Crean team does. And UCLA plays defense has a mixture of 4 year players and HS All-American one-and-dones. The perfect mix. I think UCLA may be the best NCAA tournament team, we will see. Alford has won several Conference Tournaments, Crean won 0, and IU has Never won the BTT. Which is embarrassing. Alford would recruit the state of Indiana better than anyone since RMK. That alone would be a major upgrade from Crean, Davis, Sampson. If Alford admitted he is interested in IU job then he is available. Alford would not leave for another position either making coaching stability a major selling pount. I do think Alford along with everyone in the top 8 candidates could lead IU to a National Title (Stevens, Donovan, Sean Miller, Marshall, Alford, Holtmann, Archie Miller, Bennett). I don't think Crean will ever win a National Title no matter where he goes. The other coaches I listed could all take IU to the Final Four and the NCAA Title game.Alford is on that list, he would be an upgrade from Crean.

Last edited:
The odds are against whomever you'd say...predicting who it won't be won't put you on the Nostradamus level.

No the point wasn't that LA = indpls...quite the opposite. Folks in Indy are much more likely to overlook one of their owns issues than some "strangers" out in La La land. For lords sake Indiana elected a Gov who was for electric shock therapy to prevent homosexuality...you really think that they'll give a crap about SAs crap from ten yes ago?

SA has the backing of many former players, and alums Doyle even wrote about it today.

I'm not saying that SA will be hired, I'm just saying that you don't know crap
Your role here seems to be to tell everyone they don't know anything. You should've started with the mirror first. You are laughably ignorant and seemingly proud of it.

Reactions: mazz
Your role here seems to be to tell everyone they don't know anything. You should've started with the mirror first. You are laughably ignorant and seemingly proud of it.
I have admitted that I don't know anything, it's guys like you and Hondo that state opinion as fact that are the issue

Man and I thought when crean got fired our fan base may get along a bit better. The nature of a message board I guess. Smh

How so?

We were knocked out of the first round of the NIT this year and the recruiting cupboard Crean leaves behind is pretty bare. On top of that, there's no telling what some of our current players will do --

All merely top soil. None of that matters with a good coach. For who knows what reason, Crean seemed to convince the idiot media that every coach must suck rocks in their third year on the job if the "graduate transfer market" is bad. Puleeze. A good coach will have them playing the right way soon, and fans will notice whether it is related to personel if the wins aren't coming yet.

I think you're all about wrong...
I think Glass is going to look at the 'home run hires' (BS/BD) and if and when they say no (like BS has already supposedly), hes going to reach out too all your tier 2 guys Alford ,Marshall, Millers ...
I think there's a very real chance Alford could be the next hc,but I also think there's a very real chance he wont be.
If Alford does become the next coach, I think alot of you guys are going to jump to conclusions that Iu didnt exercise every avenue possible in searching for a coach, that they simply said no,including the tier two guys, or wasnt the right fit for whatever reasons we may never know...

I feel better about it not being Alford. I talked with someone who worked in the athletic dept years ago and they said that the admin did indeed speak with Alford back in '06 and again in '08. Word is he was a complete ass about the whole situation both times with all sorts of ridiculous ultimatums/demands. Said it soured IU on Alford and that they aren't worried about Alford being hired at all. There's more to the story, but that's the gist.

I don't have any particular reasons to believe or disbelieve this story. I'm choosing to let it ease my anxiety about Alford possibly being hired.

Alford was not interviewed.

Reactions: russelltodd
Alford was not interviewed ever.

The person I spoke with didn't use the word "interview" and neither did I. What exactly are you arguing? This person said they "talked with" and "had discussions". Never anything about a formal interview of any kind.

The person I spoke with didn't use the word "interview" and neither did I. What exactly are you arguing? This person said they "talked with" and "had discussions". Never anything about a formal interview of any kind.
He didn't talk with or have discussions with IU, either. He wanted to. He tried to. But he didn't.

I feel better about it not being Alford. I talked with someone who worked in the athletic dept years ago and they said that the admin did indeed speak with Alford back in '06 and again in '08. Word is he was a complete ass about the whole situation both times with all sorts of ridiculous ultimatums/demands. Said it soured IU on Alford and that they aren't worried about Alford being hired at all. There's more to the story, but that's the gist.

I don't have any particular reasons to believe or disbelieve this story. I'm choosing to let it ease my anxiety about Alford possibly being hired.

Alford was not interviewed.
My guesses is Alford's agent was involved not necessarily Alford himself.

My guesses is Alford's agent was involved not necessarily Alford himself.

Alford and his lead assistant Craig Neal were shocked that IU did not give them any consideration before the Sampson or Crean hire. They did not even get a sniff. The IU administration obviously wanted nobody with a Knight connection.

Reactions: Viking72
If the right people want SA, it will be SA. Money matters more than bruised egos

Reminds me a little of when UNC hired Matt Doherty. Didn't have the run Alford had but still had a promising year at ND.

IIRC, Dean didn't sign off on Doherty, but the AD wanted to move on from the grip of Dean and his hand picked successors. Interviewed Larry Brown out of respect for Dean, briefly considered a long shot in the Dean family who I can't remember, but wasn't having it with any of them, made some rumbling noises with Roy Williams who was still on good terms with the Kansas AD and then landed on Doherty

Doherty came in , got rid of a long time admin, changed up some stuff , alienated others and was intent on making it *his* program.

The rest is history as they say.

I think the biggest mistake a program and fan base can do with a coach is to believe that a coach who hasn't taken a team to a final four is going to be able to do it because your resources, recruiting, etc., will make him a better coach. Alford is at UCLA.
If he can't do it there, he ain't doing it at IU.

Now maybe this years team is it, but stats say they have a major Achilles heel with a defense that isn't in the top 25 of basketball.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Now maybe this years team is it, but stats say they have a major Achilles heel with a defense that isn't in the top 25 of basketball.

If you believe in KenPom big data, UCLA's adjusted defense (100.2) is ranked at 77 while IU's adjusted defense (101.9) is ranked at 105 for 2016/2017.

Gonzaga has the #1 adjusted defense (87.5). Has IU reached out to Mark Few?

Reactions: 76-1
Gonzaga has the #1 adjusted defense (87.5). Has IU reached out to Mark Few?
Mark Few has a very good thing going in Spokane. He loves the school, the team, and the town. The school, the team, and the town love him. Gonzaga has a better team than what IU has. If he comes to IU, as soon as he loses a game, the Hoosiers will be all over him. Why would he risk to come to IU and face all that crap from the fans? I don't see it.:(

Reactions: cheyennemtnman
They didn't have any real discussions with him either time, much to his frustration. It never happened.
He was all but signed until threats were made and Davis was hired. He had almost his whole staff put together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT