ADVERTISEMENT

It was good while it lasted

I would take Tony Bennett in a second. Terrific coach and one of my favorites to watch. I don't care about style of play, dude's a flat out winner.

Didn't he coach the only #1 seed in the history of college basketball to get beat by a #16 seed. Maybe not a "flat out winner" when it matters most.

Bennett has been my number one guy since before Crean was hired and I beat the drum for him on here quite a bit until we hired Archie. That said, conversations like this are a joke right now and not fair to Archie.
Again, after the way Kathi Bennett was forced out the door by Greenspan right after he was hired, Tony wasn’t coming here.

You’re right about this is not fair to Archie. I’d like to see how better (or worse) some of these other “wish” coaches would do given the roster Archie currently has at his disposal.

Holtmann was the guy right? He’s in his second year and on a 3-game losing streak. Just lost to RUTGERS.

Wtf is wrong with people
Where did I say Holtmann? I said a big name hire.

But yes, Holtmann was a better fall back than Archie. He won the Big Ten last year with a team picked to finish in the middle of the conference. And he’s killing it recruiting.

Bennett has been my number one guy since before Crean was hired and I beat the drum for him on here quite a bit until we hired Archie. That said, conversations like this are a joke right now and not fair to Archie.
Didn't we hire a BB no name coach from Army? How did that turn out?

Where did I say Holtmann? I said a big name hire.

But yes, Holtmann was a better fall back than Archie. He won the Big Ten last year with a team picked to finish in the middle of the conference. And he’s killing it recruiting.

I really don't know what bizzaro world you live in but OSU did NOT win the BT last year.

As you are fond of saying, try and keep up.

And fired him after 2 years to hire one of the greatest coaches of all time. Good point.

per usual, you change the point of the post. you said UK would never hire Miller, meaning a coach like Miller. I pointed out they had and recently.

listen, you really suck at this. why the f are you here?

I really don't know what bizzaro world you live in but OSU did NOT win the BT last year.

As you are fond of saying, try and keep up.
That’s right. I stand corrected. 15-3 for 2nd. Still impressive.

i read that bennett was offered and turned down the job

per usual, you change the point of the post. you said UK would never hire Miller, meaning a coach like Miller. I pointed out they had and recently.

listen, you really suck at this. why the f are you here?
They wouldn’t. Gillispie was a big name when UK hired him. He was the Big 12 COY twice in 3 years at A&M. He was not an Archie Miller.

And on top of that they quickly fixed the mistake unlike IU.

Reactions: IUgradman
They wouldn’t. Gillispie was a big name when UK hired him. He was the Big 12 COY twice in 3 years at A&M. He was not an Archie Miller.

no, he was basically an archie miller. and Kentucky didn't break the bank for him either.

And he’s killing it recruiting.

lol .. :"killing it recruiting" and claims numerous times that Miller isn't recruiting well enough..

Let's take a look .....

Holtmann - 2018
4 ****

Holtmann - 2019
1 *****
2 ****

Miller - 2018
1 *****
4 ****

Miller 2019
1 *****
1 ****

Yes, just killing it and Arch is not, right? Each has signed 7 players in two years of recruiting and if you average the numbers ugh Arch is higher.

Seems your opinion shifts based on your argumentative need..

You are so completely and utterly FOS, Coach Dunning Kruger. One would think that someone that fished with a coach and passed the 4th grade would know better.

Last edited:
Anyone calling for a coaches head 16 games into year two don't have an opinion worth taking seriously. There were already a ton of holes on this roster even before the injuries, yet we are still ranked in the top 25. He was great at Dayton, he's surpassed expectations at this point, and he's still building a roster for future success.

Archie is recruiting well, the team is improving, and I think Archie will be fine. Either way it's far too early to decide one way or the other.

Reactions: papawboog
Anyone calling for a coaches head 16 games into year two don't have an opinion worth taking seriously. There were already a ton of holes on this roster even before the injuries, yet we are still ranked in the top 25. He was great at Dayton, he's surpassed expectations at this point, and he's still building a roster for future success.

Archie is recruiting well, the team is improving, and I think Archie will be fine. Either way it's far too early to decide one way or the other.
Ranked top 22/24 in popularity polls. 14th in Sagarin. 24th Kenpom. In Miller's 2nd year with a rash of injuries. We went up in the computer rankings with our last two losses and didn't fall in the popularity poll.

We only have one borderline bad loss to Arkansas (a top 50 team) with the rest coming to two top 4 teams, and one top 30, all on the road. Also, I doubt any of the malcontents suffering from chronic vulvar irritation had us with this record to start the season.

Considering the injuries and record, this season, so far, has been a success. We could have folded, but haven't.

Last edited:

i'll give you Gillispie was a hotter prospect. KU assistant, S16 at a P5 school but he certainly wasn't a million miles away from Miller, who has gone a little further in the tourney and whose name had some cachet. point being Gillispie wasn't a sure thing. very few coaches are sure things.

you know that but it fits your dbag MO better to say Miller is 2nd rate. cool.

i'll give you Gillispie was a hotter prospect. KU assistant, S16 at a P5 school but he certainly wasn't a million miles away from Miller, who has gone a little further in the tourney and whose name had some cachet. point being Gillispie wasn't a sure thing. very few coaches are sure things.

People are saying we’d be crazy to replace Archie after this year. That’s exactly what UK did.

And in the following six years they went to four Final 4s and won a title. Again, UK is serious about winning though.

Reactions: birdforbogey
What did you not understand about 2x Big 12 COY in 3 seasons? Archie wasn’t even a P5 coach.

whoa, just an overwhelming argument! big 12 COY for an NIT team. lol. Billy Clyde won a single conference championship at...UTEP. ya, he was a sure thing. haha

face it, man! not even UK gets it's guy everytime.

People are saying we’d be crazy to replace Archie after this year. That’s exactly what UK did.

And in the following six years they went to four Final 4s and won a title. Again, UK is serious about winning though.

UK replaced a guy who missed the tourney. you'll have plenty of friends if we miss the tourney, injuries or not. No, IU won't pull the trigger as quickly as UK. what about our 100 year history makes you think we would? but you'll make some friends nonetheless.

Gillespie accelerated in his own demise there...he never signed his contract--and he was going around town drunk pissing people off. Apples and Oranges.

Gillespie was drunk all the time.

Reactions: hondo314
Let me explain my concern with this year as a whole. Last year it felt like we improved as the season went on. We went into the offseason believing our system and coaching was the justification for this. This year we have more talent but seem to be regressing more than improving. We almost are playing off talent alone and not as a cohesive team.

What boggles my mind is I think Romeo and Juwan are incredibly unselfish players until its late in the game and they have no choice but to be selfish. So although this type of lethargic play typically centers around selfishness, that's definitely not the case this year. It's like those two know we can't be reliant on just them in order to win big ball games so they continue to try and work as a unit but it always fails.

I wouldn't mind coach going with a big lineup with Romeo at PG. It's very Syracuse-esque but we need to shake things up at this point. Our point guards are good ball handlers but if we aren't able to get penetration and/or shoot the ball from that position, then they are merely ball handlers. I say go bigger and see if we can get more deflections/rebounds.

Reactions: IUgradman
Let me explain my concern with this year as a whole. Last year it felt like we improved as the season went on. We went into the offseason believing our system and coaching was the justification for this. This year we have more talent but seem to be regressing more than improving. We almost are playing off talent alone and not as a cohesive team.

What boggles my mind is I think Romeo and Juwan are incredibly unselfish players until its late in the game and they have no choice but to be selfish. So although this type of lethargic play typically centers around selfishness, that's definitely not the case this year. It's like those two know we can't be reliant on just them in order to win big ball games so they continue to try and work as a unit but it always fails.

I wouldn't mind coach going with a big lineup with Romeo at PG. It's very Syracuse-esque but we need to shake things up at this point. Our point guards are good ball handlers but if we aren't able to get penetration and/or shoot the ball from that position, then they are merely ball handlers. I say go bigger and see if we can get more deflections/rebounds.

i know some of you bros hate the injury excuse that Creaner loved to chirp about as his teams went to shit but it's a big deal this year. it's not just one guy killing us. our skilled and able frosh pg just missed 4 frigging games. now davis can barely play at all. just absolutely kills chemistry and any momentum we had.

i do like that our coach isn't leading press conferences with this excuse though. unfortunately we just don't know what we have yet. such is the life of a friggin Hoosier fan. aye aye aye

Last edited:
lol .. :"killing it recruiting" and claims numerous times that Miller isn't recruiting well enough..

Let's take a look .....

Holtmann - 2018
4 ****

Holtmann - 2019
1 *****
2 ****

Miller - 2018
1 *****
4 ****

Miller 2019
1 *****
1 ****

Yes, just killing it and Arch is not, right? Each has signed 7 players in two years of recruiting and if you average the numbers ugh Arch is higher.

Seems your opinion shifts based on your argumentative need..

You are so completely and utterly FOS, Coach Dunning Kruger. One would think that someone that fished with a coach and passed the 4th grade would know better.

Don't forget he also said the current roster is one of the most talented in the conference yesterday.

Whatever suits his bitch I guess.

Reactions: T.M.P.
i know some of you bros hate the injury excuse that Creaner loved to chirp about as his teams went to shit but it's a big deal this year. it's not just one guy killing us. our skilled and able frosh pg just missed 4 frigging games. now davis can barely play at all. just absolutely kills chemistry and any momentum we had.

i do like that our coach isn't leading press conferences with this excuse though. unfortunately we just don't know what we have yet. such is the life of a friggin Hoosier fan. aye aye aye

Injuries are everywhere. I think that's a cop out. I typically expect one starter is lost most all year long and although they've had a starter down for a few games, I think IU has truly only lost some depth.

The team can still improve and I have faith they will but I'm not going to sit here and make excuses for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT