ADVERTISEMENT

It has finally been said

The fact you say this team was better than last regardless of the record is in fact an apologetic view point. Records are records no matter how many excuses people provide.

regardless of how much of the fault lies on Archie..it feels as if Archie is already a lame duck. There are a lot of what if's with this and last season, but what if's dont get you banners or in the tourney. Next year will be interesting to say the least.
You don’t come back from this as a coach. It’s a matter of when not if at this point.
I’d like to hear your reasoning as to why this is a fact, as you seem to have stated that way. Show your work, too!

You don’t come back from this as a coach. It’s a matter of when not if at this point.

Yes, a lot of time, as has been pointed out over and over, you do. Many good coaches have had struggles their first few years.

Is Miller accountable for their record? Yes, he is. Can he keep having 0.500 seasons? No, he cannot.

But do you pressure a coach for results in year two? No, you do not.

Reactions: Boilerpointe81
Glad I could give you some simple facts to ponder. Hope you have a good day.
I was hoping you would have more rules on how to be a fan. It always s
I’d like to hear your reasoning as to why this is a fact, as you seem to have stated that way. Show your work, too!
I said it "feels like" dipshit..does that sound like i'm stating a fact?
I was responding to fpeaugh not you! Look at it again.

If I was your dad I would’ve sent you to your room without supper. Naaahhh I would give you the belt!

Another dumb post from you. The bridge is gone, Knight has been gone for over 20 years. Painter immediately succeeded Keady. Bringing in someone who had ties to Knight does not guarantee anything.

When Crean was hired and he gave s “Its Indiana crap” at his presser he never followed through sans Zeller, Blackmon, Hulls. This was one thing that “IU fans” were begging for. In two years we have gotten that from Miller. Hes two for two on landing our Mr Basketball. You and the likes of Fpuke want to run him out.

Next years team assuming no other transfers will still have 6 Crean scholarships on the roster. This years team despite record was markedly better than last and you’re a fool if you don’t see it. This years wins versus last years losses to Fort Wayne and Ind St prove this.

I am not a Miller apologist at all and will call it as I see it.

But you need to GTFOH
Total lie; Archie WAS NOT required to honor letter of intents of Smith, Durham, and
It’s just reality. Once the majority of the fan base turns on you, it’s nearly impossible to win them back.
i don’t think fan base has turned on Archie (me included) however we are not gonna sit back and have sunshine blown up our arses saying keep waiting like we did for Crean.

Who is IU going to get? They are not willing to spend the money needed for a proven coach, we all know that. So, who would they go after?
Either pay for the big name or get another young coach. Just don’t stick with what we know won’t work.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yep, next year is going to be awful for IU. Everybody knows that what we are now is what we will be or worse next year, and that what our competition is now will be the same or better next year as well. Because past and present performance is ALWAYS indicative of future results, everyone knows this. There are no variables. Everything and everyone is a known quantity, based solely on what they were and what they are.

It's the bedrock of how things work in sports, finance and life. Thank you for illustrating that and sharing this level of wisdom with the unwashed masses of IU fandom. :rolleyes:
He’s not a fan. That much is obvious.

Yes miracles do happen but unfortunately not very often. When you put a team on the court that looks absolutely lost for multiple games, that plays worse than any IU team I have ever ever seen on the court, then any reasonable person would be concerned about future results.
One miracle could be that Williamson, Barrett, Herro, and Little announce they have decided not to go pro but transfer to IU to play for CAM. Another could be that Donovan and Stevens announce they have decided to accept assistant coaching jobs at IU to study under CAM. Yes absolutely these events could happen but not overwhelmingly likely.

You clearly haven't watched much over the last 20 years.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Next year will be as bad or worse. There’s no reason to be this awful in year 3. All reasonable fans can see it and they’re not going to come back. It’s a matter of time now.
What do you expect when you have Crocodile Dundee and a worthless bureaucrat from the NCAA selecting head coaches. I could understand maybe bringing Crocodile as a pre game motivational speaker-but letting him select head coaches. No effin way.

You clearly haven't watched much over the last 20 years.
Okay. Davis had directionless games that i couldnt stand to watch as did Crean but never saw just the tmabsute lack of effort that i saw in some games this year. You are right probably closer than i suggested but these games are fresh in my mind.

Yep, you just don't come back from a disappointing second season as a head coach. Everybody knows that if your team fails to live up to expectations in your second season as head coach, then you are bound to be fired unceremoniously. It's common practice and knowledge. :rolleyes:

Losing Brooks as an in-stater was a big nail in the coffin. You don’t look good when you say your recruiting strategy is “inside out” and cannot keep guys like that inside.

Losing Brooks as an in-stater was a big nail in the coffin. You don’t look good when you say your recruiting strategy is “inside out” and cannot keep guys like that inside.
The nails in the coffin were Moore, Smith and Durham all getting 4 year scholarships. This will seal Archie’s fate you can’t have an entire shitty recruiting class cause u can’t purge players at IU!

Sorry, but Romeo never lived up to the hype. Everyone figured out (except Buckyville, thank goodness) that he can only go to his right.

You made the claim. You are supposed to prove yourself correct, otherwise you're just pulling it out your rear - which is exactly what you're doing.
I don’t have to prove it. You’re stating I’m incorrect. Prove that I am or please leave it up to the adults from now on.

I don’t have to prove it. You’re stating I’m incorrect. Prove that I am or please leave it up to the adults from now on.
You include yourself in the "adult" group? Now that is very, very funny! Here's the way it really works in adult-land - you make a claim that you could "name 300 who didn’t [succeed at the Power Five conference level.] The odds are about 1% from this point forward." So name those 300 and then show the math for your odds of 1%. If you can't do that, you're the pathetic poster you appear to be - over and over and over again. I do mean PATHETIC.

Lemme see now- Losing our two best players. The black hole a.k.a. Justin Smith, however, will still be here. Lost out on Brooks, our second highest recruiting target. No perimeter scoring on the floor, none coming in. Coach seems to not be able to motivate the players. Coach doesn’t seem to have a coherent offensive philosophy.

You don’t have to be Jeane Dixon to see that next year is going to be a tough one for IU.
can jeane dixon shoot? we have a scholarship available

Past performance is not always indicative of future performance if you do something dramatically different when it comes to human behavior.

That principle mostly holds true because we avoid change for a variety of reasons...
i think he was being sarcastic

How can u say this Archie was also in year 2 Mack year 1, you are full of excuses
This is how I can say this, now pay close attention; I compared the situations and rosters for both coaches and Mack inherited a team that was left over by a hall of fame coach and recruiter. Archie inherited a roster full of players left to him by an inferior, orange man. I do not feel like I am full of excuses, but you are certainly full of shit!

Reactions: Rakkasan29
How can u say this Archie was also in year 2 Mack year 1, you are full of excuses
Mack’s team is not talented don’t know where u get that . Jordan is a great offensive shooter but that’s about it. With the ease of grad transfers there’s no excuse for there to be rebuilding in consecutive seasons. That’s poor roster management

Man, so what were we pre season by outsiders, not us fans? Top 30 to 40 predicted maybe? I know Torvik got all kinds of grief from IU fans because he had us sixth or seventh in the conference.

Remember how pissy we got when we weren't in the pre season top 25's?

What did we finish? KenPom has us 42nd.

So predicted in the 30-40 national range and finished 42nd.

Disappointing absolutely.

A national travesty....GTFOOH.

Remember when Purdue lost the national player of the year three years ago and we laughed at them and told them they were going to suck rocks without him? No the foundation of that team stayed and was actually better.

We played two sophomores and two freshmen heavy heavy minutes and barely missed the tournament.

UCLA played a lot of freshmen and sophomores and didn't even make the NIT, and yet a lot of the drama queens are being opportunistic to prop up Alford.

Yawn

Rick Barnes, Mike Krzyzewski, and Tony Bennett did.

Rick Barnes
15-19
16-16

Mike Krzyzewski
17-13
10-17

Tony Bennett
15-16
16-15

Archie will come back too....

Coach K etc are the exceptions! For every Coach K, Bennett or Barnes, who had bad starts for two seasons or more but turned out to be great later, there are definitely more Billy Gillespie, matt Doherty, Tommy Amaker.... You don't hear from them anymore because many of them are already out of coaching. The numbers won't be on your favor.

Man, so what were we pre season by outsiders, not us fans? Top 30 to 40 predicted maybe? I know Torvik got all kinds of grief from IU fans because he had us sixth or seventh in the conference.

Remember how pissy we got when we weren't in the pre season top 25's?

What did we finish? KenPom has us 42nd.

So predicted in the 30-40 national range and finished 42nd.

Disappointing absolutely.

A national travesty....GTFOOH.

Remember when Purdue lost the national player of the year three years ago and we laughed at them and told them they were going to suck rocks without him? No the foundation of that team stayed and was actually better.

We played two sophomores and two freshmen heavy heavy minutes and barely missed the tournament.

UCLA played a lot of freshmen and sophomores and didn't even make the NIT, and yet a lot of the drama queens are being opportunistic to prop up Alford.

Yawn

Even with my pretty basic system, I had IU #40 if Davis couldn't give IU top 5 minutes. I did have IU #18 on roster alone, without any injury consideration, which fueled some optimism. I was pretty sure that Davis wouldn't be able to do that at least until late in the season, but that #18 still looked pretty good.

Factor in a super tough Big 10 and this years results might not be as awful as it seems. The problem is that I thought Archie would be a coach who would actually be able to outperform basic expectation levels and hopefully by a lot. Also, you have a team that went 5-5 vs Kenpom Top 30 teams. That rarely (if ever) is the mark of an NIT team; I think Crean might have come close once... red flag.

Strangely, I'm still more optimistic than I probably should be, but I need to see something next year to remain optimistic. I don't just mean getting into the NCAA Tourney either. IU will have the right kind of experience level to have a really good regular season next year. That would be my expectation of a very good coach.

One thing about Alford. Steve doesn't get the benefit of the same excuses that are passed off as valid ones for almost every other coach. That said, I thought he needed to be fired and said so here after the loss to Cincy. I've never seen a team totally quit on a coach so early in a season. I wanted him fired for his own sake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT