ADVERTISEMENT

Israel under attack from Hamas

Dude only gets one vote, but it's definitely not great optics that he happens to be President of the court at the moment.
“Israel has indicated it would not accept a court order to end the war against Hamas. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was meeting with legal advisers to review the ruling shortly after it was issued.”

Since the ICJ doesn’t have any enforcement authority….I think we know Netanyahu’s response

Reactions: 76-1
I thought US funding was cut off.
Trump cut it and Biden restored it in 2021. I think there was a short stoppage of funding after 10/7 that was restored again this past April (ETA: This last part is wrong, it is still on pause but Biden has said he wants to fund again. He can't unless Congress allows and it can't occur until next year according to Politico. I mixed up a charity called US UNRWA extending its funding thinking it was actually the US)

Showing my work:

On Biden resuming after Trump had cut before 10/7:

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
Trump cut it and Biden restored it in 2021. I think there was a short stoppage of funding after 10/7 that was restored again this past April (ETA: This last part is wrong, it is still on pause but Biden has said he wants to fund again. He can't unless Congress allows and it can't occur until next year according to Politico. I mixed up a charity called US UNRWA extending its funding thinking it was actually the US)

Showing my work:

Not to worry. Joe will just issue another EO to move funds from one area to another.

He's never been one to worry about the will of Congress.

Reactions: 76-1

Showing my work:

I'll be surprised if it gets restored again. I can't imagine there being enough support in Congress to do it in either the near or remote future.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
I guess common sense will prevail after all.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-27-2024

The NATO Parliamentary Assembly called on member states to lift their prohibitions against Ukraine using Western-provided weapons to strike within Russian territory. The NATO Parliamentary Assembly adopted a declaration on May 27 calling for NATO states to support Ukraine's "international right" to defend itself by lifting "some restrictions" on Ukraine's use of Western weapons to strike Russian territory. The declaration also calls for member states to accelerate their deliveries of critical weapons to Ukraine, and more than 200 representatives of NATO member states supported the declaration.

He also "unintentionally confirms" that the people who are calling him to coordinate things also recently shot at him. I fail to see the self-own here. All I see is the tragedy of war.
“They are aware that I’m not authorized to speak to (occupation)”

Who is not authorizing him to speak to Israeli personnel about providing aid to Gaza?

And yet he's still someone Israel thinks to contact to coordinate aid?
Sure. He said he was being shot at, we don't know what context that was in. Was he hanging out around Sinwar's buddies getting instructions and the Israelis were trying to get the people he was with? I don't know.

When you are providing aid to your enemy, I would suppose that at some level you are negotiating or talking to someone who on another day might be considered a legitimate target because of who they are with or what they are doing in that moment. I would bet money we had people in Afghanistan that we were shooting at during the night and working with in the morning....

This deal is almost OK. The US and Israel need to insist on the release of every live hostage and an accounting of all that are deceased.

Color me skeptical. This is not something I believe the Israeli's should agree to. Our coward POTUS is proposing this on Shabbat for a reason. He's a scumbag. Right wing elements in Israel will be livid.

I don't believe Hamas has the ability to agree to it or hold up its end of the bargain anyway.

How many hostages are actually still alive? 12? Israel should not be bartering over a bunch of corpses.

This deal is almost OK. The US and Israel need to insist on the release of every live hostage and an accounting of all that are deceased.

So the deal contemplates Israel negotiating with Hamas, a terrorist organization? Or Hamas, a legitimate representative of the Palestinian people? Which is it?

I can't believe Israel would agree to a deal that left Hamas in existence. But I have no idea the pressure the Biden admin is putting on them to accept this. As for the phases, Biden should be pushing for the release or the hostages immediately, as a precondition to any cease fire.

And I've posted about this for months, but it is still astounding to me that a United States President comes out with this proposal and doesn't even mention the US citizens who are being held hostage by Hamas. What the actual **** is that about?

Color me skeptical. This is not something I believe the Israeli's should agree to. Our coward POTUS is proposing this on Shabbat for a reason. He's a scumbag. Right wing elements in Israel will be livid.

I don't believe Hamas has the ability to agree to it or hold up its end of the bargain anyway.

How many hostages are actually still alive? 12? Israel should not be bartering over a bunch of corpses?
5 Americans. I guess we do negotiate with terrorists.

Reactions: DANC
5 Americans. I guess we do negotiate with terrorists.
It’s a temporary ceasefire. If they agree to release every hostage it’s reasonable IMO. Israel needs to control all crossings in or out of Gaza during the ceasefire to prevent rearming. They should also demand every Hamas leader’s surrender to continue the ceasefire. They won’t agree and then Israel will go back to kill or capture all of them.

I wouldn't accept a shit deal like that if I were the Israelis. They have Hamas pinned and surrounded in Rafah and really no proof of life for any of the remaining hostages. Letting Hamas live to fight another day for people that are likely already dead doesn't seem like a good deal to me. If that is the end point, all the death and destruction are for naught.

I would at least have Sinwar's dead body on display before agreeing to any terms. At the very least. The Israelis should demand proof of life for all the hostages before accepting the possibility of receiving living people back as legitimate bargaining chips. The last time they asked, Hamas said they didn't know where most of the hostages even were at. All the Israelis have gotten back lately are corpses.

Netanyahu should be tarred and feathered if he pushed to this point only to accept that.

It’s a temporary ceasefire. If they agree to release every hostage it’s reasonable IMO. Israel needs to control all crossings in or out of Gaza during the ceasefire to prevent rearming. They should also demand every Hamas leader’s surrender to continue the ceasefire. They won’t agree and then Israel will go back to kill or capture all of them.
If I were the Israelis I would view ceasefires like Hamas does.

The really annoying thing is Hamas is holding 5 Americans hostage and the majority of their leadership resides in a country with a very large US military presence. Why this administration isn't putting pressure on Qatar to hand over the terrorists to us is....well it is something.

I wouldn't accept a shit deal like that if I were the Israelis. They have Hamas pinned and surrounded in Rafah and really no proof of life for any of the remaining hostages. Letting Hamas live to fight another day for people that are likely already dead doesn't seem like a good deal to me. If that is the end point, all the death and destruction are for naught.

I would at least have Sinwar's dead body on display before agreeing to any terms. At the very least. The Israelis should demand proof of life for all the hostages before accepting the possibility of receiving living people back as legitimate bargaining chips. The last time they asked, Hamas said they didn't know where most of the hostages even were at. All the Israelis have gotten back lately are corpses.

Netanyahu should be tarred and feathered if he pushed to this point only to accept that.
I said almost OK. Yes, they should demand proof of life. They should demand the unconditional surrender of Hamas. I’d also recommend injecting tracking devices up the bungholes of every Palestinian prisoner they release. If those tracking devices could be triggered to explode remotely should those prisoners return to terrorism, all the better.

I’m only slightly kidding about those devices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT