ADVERTISEMENT

Is the battle for the direction of the Republican Party a contest between conservatism and populism?

I am too lazy to go back and look but IIRC, the discussions we had here about the vaccines didn't evolve until it was clear that they weren't doing what the government mouthpieces claimed they would do. Namely, "If you get the shot you won't get sick." I can pull video of Biden saying that (or effectively saying that if not verbatim).

I think that people in the know realized what the vaccines would do, but what they were really going to do wasn't quite enough to scare the requisite amount of people into taking them. If they started out by comparing it to the flu shot, I don't think people would have been running to take it. (And what I mean by the flu shot is that you can still get the flu with that shot, it just performs some bumps to the immune system). So the initial message was that these are in effect like the MMR. Your chances of getting sick or passing this on to someone else are next to nil if you get the shot. A whole bunch of people got vaccinated and then got sick anyway. That is when things evolved.
I used to not get the flu vaccine every year. One of my non-vaccine years I got flu and was sick as f***. Didn’t get hospitalized but I was miserable. Coughing, puking, shitting and my back was killing me. I said to myself I’m not doing this shit again. In the several years since then, I’ve gotten the flu shot. I’ve had flu (confirmed) twice in those years and never had more than a headache and scratchy throat. I only got tested because I had group functions coming up and wanted to make sure I didn’t have anything I could (maybe, potentially) pass to others. I’m well aware vaccines aren’t some magical barrier, as are most people.

Always quotes taken out of context. Someone talks for an hour and says a dozen times "Look this doesn't guarantee you won't catch it" but they say once "get the vaccine and you won't get sick" and that's what people talk about now. But at the time, we all knew the score.
Ok, well my recollection of that timeframe doesn't seem to match yours.

Either of us could argue our point from this news cast and based on what the CDC director was saying as opposed to the infectious disease expert (and I think even she oversold effectiveness to a degree...)

Personally, I think a lie was told because it was considered a benevolent lie. The problem is that even good intentioned fibs can wreck your credibility.

I used to not get the flu vaccine every year. One of my non-vaccine years I got flu and was sick as f***. Didn’t get hospitalized but I was miserable. Coughing, puking, shitting and my back was killing me. I said to myself I’m not doing this shit again. In the several years since then, I’ve gotten the flu shot. I’ve had flu (confirmed) twice in those years and never had more than a headache and scratchy throat. I only got tested because I had group functions coming up and wanted to make sure I didn’t have anything I could (maybe, potentially) pass to others. I’m well aware vaccines aren’t some magical barrier, as are most people.
The last time I got the flu shot was the last time I got the flu. I think mileage varies on that.

Also, there are different types of vaccines with differing levels of effectiveness. I think the COVID shot is similar to the flu shot. I think it was sold early on as being more like an MMR or tetanus shot.

The last time I got the flu shot was the last time I got the flu. I think mileage varies on that.

Also, there are different types of vaccines with differing levels of effectiveness. I think the COVID shot is similar to the flu shot. I think it was sold early on as being more like an MMR or tetanus shot.
Yep, it’s funny how everyone I’ve met that doesn’t get flu shots always says they got the flu after getting the shot.

Yep, it’s funny how everyone I’ve met that doesn’t get flu shots always says they got the flu after getting the shot.
Maybe it was my lucky year but it sticks out because of the reason I had to get the vaccine and the real inopportune time I got sick. Pretty major life event involved.

Always quotes taken out of context. Someone talks for an hour and says a dozen times "Look this doesn't guarantee you won't catch it" but they say once "get the vaccine and you won't get sick" and that's what people talk about now. But at the time, we all knew the score.
Freaking quoting exact words... Who would ever do that. freakin Pubs.

Either of us could argue our point from this news cast and based on what the CDC director was saying as opposed to the infectious disease expert (and I think even she oversold effectiveness to a degree...)

Personally, I think a lie was told because it was considered a benevolent lie. The problem is that even good intentioned fibs can wreck your credibility.
notice that the only hard stand that Goat has ever taken, Is to support individual freedoms and transparency being removed for the people who will eventually pay for his student loans. It's pretty obvious of his intent at this point.

• Wow
Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
I agree, but with mandatory preventive care I think you could. I suppose it depends on how “mandatory” is defined, or, exceptions made. I agree with the idea of mandatory preventive care, I’m just being argumentative.
You shouldn’t agree. There are a number of vaccines that are mandatory for military members because we want a healthy, capable and deployable force. It works.

i do. it's absurd. last week he had a scratch from his ear all around the back of his neck that you could tell they had to blot the blood. he got into it apparently with a couple of kids from the older class. three separate incident reports arose from that afternoon. when i carried him out i said did you have a good day? yeahh. good day dada. then the next day his teacher made a point to tell me how well behaved he was all day. and i said did you have a good day buddy? noooooooooooo. this semester is literally his teacher's first semester as a teacher. poor girl

hopefully there will be a military to send him to when the time comes
I have to meet this kid.

they have church/prayer in the mornings. he's the only kid that sits on his mom's lap the entire time. must be a hell of a thing to witness. the biggest baby in the class holding his mommy in church then going straight into that school and unleashing hell on his classmates
Vengeance is mine, sayeth Baby McMurtry. I'm coming and bringing hell with me.

'I'm lying , but it's for your own good.....Trust me...'

That your point?

So to go back to the idea of working across the aisle:

This woman is running to be on the Fishers City Council. My kids go to Fishers schools but I am not in Fishers, so I don't really have a dog in this particular fight but (you knew that was coming), this type of thing is reflective of why you don't see much will to work across the aisle.

The "KKK" that Ms. Vare alludes to is running this woman as one of their candidates for city council:

1590756501286.png

At a certain point I am not interested in working with the Jocelyn Vare's of the world and she is increasingly what I view as representative of the Democrat Party. I don't want to compromise with her, I want to beat her (at the ballot box) and her type of thinking into oblivion.
The board in HSE has made it pretty clear they aren’t interested in reaching across the aisle. And they are doing an excellent job of getting more bad publicity for the state of Indiana. It will be interesting to see how many of them keep their seats. Is that Tiffany? I’ve met her… she’s interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
It isn't one way to put it, it is the truth. The vast majority of the pay discrepancy occurs through selection. When you look at pay within the confines of a single job the pay difference reduce drastically and those differences can be attributed to more personal decisions.

Right… because those are the jobs most readily available for women. And those jobs pay less.

The board in HSE has made it pretty clear they aren’t interested in reaching across the aisle. And they are doing an excellent job of getting more bad publicity for the state of Indiana. It will be interesting to see how many of them keep their seats. Is that Tiffany? I’ve met her… she’s interesting.
Her campaign website makes reference to her "former husband."

Does the Klan make you dye your hair blonde now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT