ADVERTISEMENT

Is the battle for the direction of the Republican Party a contest between conservatism and populism?

If what you have in your picture happens, my advice to Democrats and people viewed as "establishment" would probably be to buckle up, it is going to be a rough ride.

He will feel vindicated and he will be out for retribution.
He very well might, but he didn't show much inclination to go after political rivals when he won in 2016. Otherwise, Hillary would be in jail. He appointed moderates as AG, unlike Democrats, who use the DOJ as their personal Gestapo.

It isn't one way to put it, it is the truth. The vast majority of the pay discrepancy occurs through selection. When you look at pay within the confines of a single job the pay difference reduce drastically and those differences can be attributed to more personal decisions.

My anecdotal evidence is that women in the workforce value stability, familiarity and security more, while men tend to chase income with more reckless abandon.

We recently offered a promotion (and higher comp) to a younger women on my team, but it would have required her to move to a different team and much different type of work. She originally asked for the promotion, but then turned it down saying she liked where she was and wanted to stay.

My anecdotal evidence is that women in the workforce value stability, familiarity and security more, while men tend to chase income with more reckless abandon.

We recently offered a promotion (and higher comp) to a younger women on my team, but it would have required her to move to a different team and much different type of work. She originally asked for the promotion, but then turned it down saying she liked where she was and wanted to stay.
There is still a 6 cent difference within the same jobs and I think some of that is attributable to things like your anecdote.

Reactions: Spartans9312
That was before they tried to throw him in jail.
Yes, but they were calling for his impeachment from Day 1 and had his own AG appoint a Special Counsel, who then proceeded to stack the team with Democrat lawyers. Still, after 2 1/2 years of complete bullshit, he still didn't go after them.

I think Trump is used to rough-and-tumble dealings in business. I'm not sure he holds as much personal animosity as his followers do about the way he was treated.

I think Trump's real weakness was trusting the DOJ. He knew the FBI was corrupt, but I think he trusted the DOJ to be at least somewhat impartial. I think we were all duped in that regard.

Mike Pence thinks so:

Some other right-leaning thinkers aren't so sure:

Even if you're on the left, this is an important battle. It's going to define one of the two major parties for the rest of our lives.
In my opinion, this all goes back to the culture war that began with Roe v. Wade. Abortion is what slowly and, then in a landslide, drove former working-class Democrats into the Republican party - first as voters, then as registered voters. The battle over same-sex marriage did not start the landslide, but it solidified the landslide. Now, more recently, with overturning Roe v. Wade at the same time as the left‘s push for transgender education in elementary school, and the base of both sides are now deeply entrenched in these cultural positions. Racism – real and imagined - has always remained simmering below the surface, sometimes near the top, and sometimes near the middle, and gets pulled out as an extra hole card when the votes get close.

The economy will soon push social issues off the front page of voter interest again. Big Labor + inflation will pull in the oars, layoffs will follow quickly, and poof … nobody will care much about drag queens and transgender stuff.

I don't necessarily dismiss single payer out of hand, but you and I both know not everyone will pay. There will be exceptions galore and, as usual, the onus will all be on the working schmuck to pay the bills.

Personally, since we're going to subsidize huge part of the population anyway, I could get behind a government-sponsored insurance plan where anyone who can't/won't pay all get put into one risk pool, subsidized by the government, i.e. medicaid. Personal payments to the insurance administrator would be on a sliding scale, according to their earning.

Everyone else can buy their own insurance as they do now. I think this would also simplify accounting, because basically the government would cut one check (not really, but conceptually) to the insurance companies.

I don't know the numbers to know if that's feasible, but it's something I'd like to see investigated.
With Medicaid, we pay for it anyway, and that's more expensive than having all preventative care be compelled and 'free'. The main idea is to quit having poor people using the ER as their PCP.

Where is goes from there, I would handle anything beyond like Medicare supplements, where you pay into more coverage. There would still be a segment of the population that wouldn't be able to afford it, but the money saved by having preventative care would cover some of that.

I'd tie premiums into a person's taxed income with a cap, .1% (tenth of a percent) per week for your premium, and it would include any minor children.

How that would scale out for those making six figures, I'd cap it out around $500K. I think that would lead to a massive number of people paying for insurance who don't otherwise pay for insurance.

In my opinion, this all goes back to the culture war that began with Roe v. Wade. Abortion is what slowly and, then in a landslide, drove former working-class Democrats into the Republican party - first as voters, then as registered voters. The battle over same-sex marriage did not start the landslide, but it solidified the landslide. Now, more recently, with overturning Roe v. Wade at the same time as the left‘s push for transgender education in elementary school, and the base of both sides are now deeply entrenched in these cultural positions. Racism – real and imagined - has always remained simmering below the surface, sometimes near the top, and sometimes near the middle, and gets pulled out as an extra hole card when the votes get close.

The economy will soon push social issues off the front page of voter interest again. Big Labor + inflation will pull in the oars, layoffs will follow quickly, and poof … nobody will care much about drag queens and transgender stuff.
Correct.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu and DANC
With Medicaid, we pay for it anyway, and that's more expensive than having all preventative care be compelled and 'free'. The main idea is to quit having poor people using the ER as their PCP.

Where is goes from there, I would handle anything beyond like Medicare supplements, where you pay into more coverage. There would still be a segment of the population that wouldn't be able to afford it, but the money saved by having preventative care would cover some of that.

I'd tie premiums into a person's taxed income with a cap, .1% (tenth of a percent) per week for your premium, and it would include any minor children.

How that would scale out for those making six figures, I'd cap it out around $500K. I think that would lead to a massive number of people paying for insurance who don't otherwise pay for insurance.
I could agree with mandatory preventive care

I'm a liberal. Pretty centrist but I 100% believe MFA or some version of single payor system is how we'll pay for healthcare within my lifetime (I'm almost 50). I'm persona non grata in the Republican party based on that alone, not to mention a million other things.

But, if the questions were so high level, I bet DANC/Aloha and I agree on a great many things. The devil's in the details. Pesky little details.

"Should Americans have access to healthcare regardless of their ability to pay?" I bet most on this board would answer yes. I think we're all waiting on the Republican plan to do that. Their problem is that there truly is only one way to accomplish this with any sense of efficiency. And that's a single payor system. They'll wrap themselves in knots trying NOT to make single payor system. Which is, of course, inefficient.

I like ideas and I like people who can follow through on an idea. But I also love consensus. Why Republicans can't accept a single payor system (well, at least not until they're 65) baffles me.

Immigration and Healthcare should be two problems Dems and Pubs could find enough common ground on to find and present, in a unified way, solutions. But they don't. And that's b/c Congress is no longer an instrument of governance. To borrow from Trump, it's a swamp. It's devoid (mostly) of problem solvers. We've all been put in a room with others at some point in our lives and been forced to come up with a soultion to a problem. Maybe we didn't get our way but we came up with a solution.

Compromise is dead. And, if we don't fix that, so soon will our Union be.
It won't be fixed. You are right, compromise is dead. And our Union is in trouble. Sad but true

Reactions: larsIU
It won't be fixed. You are right, compromise is dead. And our Union is in trouble. Sad but true
When Republicans do try to implement anything, we get the Democrats running commercials showing Grandma being thrown off the clif.

Demagoguery at it's best. Hard to compromise with that.

But it suddenly will if doctors make the money off mandatory preventive care guidelines. 😉 It does prevent having a bad case too, which would fall under the preventive care guidelines.
Can't force anyone to take a vaccine

So to go back to the idea of working across the aisle:

This woman is running to be on the Fishers City Council. My kids go to Fishers schools but I am not in Fishers, so I don't really have a dog in this particular fight but (you knew that was coming), this type of thing is reflective of why you don't see much will to work across the aisle.

The "KKK" that Ms. Vare alludes to is running this woman as one of their candidates for city council:

1590756501286.png

At a certain point I am not interested in working with the Jocelyn Vare's of the world and she is increasingly what I view as representative of the Democrat Party. I don't want to compromise with her, I want to beat her (at the ballot box) and her type of thinking into oblivion.

So to go back to the idea of working across the aisle:

This woman is running to be on the Fishers City Council. My kids go to Fishers schools but I am not in Fishers, so I don't really have a dog in this particular fight but (you knew that was coming), this type of thing is reflective of why you don't see much will to work across the aisle.

The "KKK" that Ms. Vare alludes to is running this woman as one of their candidates for city council:

1590756501286.png

At a certain point I am not interested in working with the Jocelyn Vare's of the world and she is increasingly what I view as representative of the Democrat Party. I don't want to compromise with her, I want to beat her (at the ballot box) and her type of thinking into oblivion.
I know nothing about the candidate in the blue, but
i like her season 3 GIF by NETFLIX

And now EVERYONE understands that.
People with brains and an even elementary understanding of how vaccines work have always understood that. People just lazily said “prevents Covid” instead of saying “increases your likelihood of not getting seriously ill from Covid”.

twenty, could it be she didn't think the job being offered was a good fit for her ?

Taking on a job which doesn't match your particular skill set can end up being a mistake.

*disc golf
*frolf

thank you.

Also.....believe me, you don't want that smoke. Nope. Back away slowly like you would from a rattlesnake
Like my son!!! I went up there to sign his incident reports for the week at lunch and they call him the nap nazi. when they all go down for naps he demands quiet. so if another kid says something or makes a noise apparently he goes "SHUSH!!!" real loud. then if they do it again he gets out of his nap cot and goes over to put an end to the noise. SHUSHES them right to their face while holding them

Like my son!!! I went up there to sign his incident reports for the week at lunch and they call him the nap nazi. when they all go down for naps he demands quiet. so if another kid says something or makes a noise apparently he goes "SHUSH!!!" real loud. then if they do it again he gets out of his nap cot and goes over to put an end to the noise. SHUSHES them right to their face while holding them

You have incident reports every week for him?

Do they have you on speed dial?

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
You have incident reports every week for him?

Do they have you on speed dial?
i do. it's absurd. last week he had a scratch from his ear all around the back of his neck that you could tell they had to blot the blood. he got into it apparently with a couple of kids from the older class. three separate incident reports arose from that afternoon. when i carried him out i said did you have a good day? yeahh. good day dada. then the next day his teacher made a point to tell me how well behaved he was all day. and i said did you have a good day buddy? noooooooooooo. this semester is literally his teacher's first semester as a teacher. poor girl

hopefully there will be a military to send him to when the time comes

The Dream team has a spot open in the Future leaders program. Do we have him signed up yet? Have you introduced him to guns yet? He sounds like president material to me.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
i do. it's absurd. last week he had a scratch from his ear all around the back of his neck that you could tell they had to blot the blood. he got into it apparently with a couple of kids from the older class. three separate incident reports arose from that afternoon. when i carried him out i said did you have a good day? yeahh. good day dada. then the next day his teacher made a point to tell me how well behaved he was all day. and i said did you have a good day buddy? noooooooooooo. this semester is literally his teacher's first semester as a teacher. poor girl

creepy full metal jacket GIF

Those pussy kids scratch fight?
WE NEED THIS KID in our program !!

Those pussy kids scratch fight?
WE NEED THIS KID in our program !!
they have church/prayer in the mornings. he's the only kid that sits on his mom's lap the entire time. must be a hell of a thing to witness. the biggest baby in the class holding his mommy in church then going straight into that school and unleashing hell on his classmates

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: UncleMark and DANC
they have church/prayer in the mornings. he's the only kid that sits on his mom's lap the entire time. must be a hell of a thing to witness. the biggest baby in the class holding his mommy in church then going straight into that school and unleashing hell on his classmates
So we just gotta get mommy out of the way, is what you are sayin.
You know that we can position the proper guidance around him, if we can get the riff raft out of the picture.
I get it, women piss me off too. Poor kid.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
But it's right. We had real time discussions about the vaccines here. People understood how they actually work.
I am too lazy to go back and look but IIRC, the discussions we had here about the vaccines didn't evolve until it was clear that they weren't doing what the government mouthpieces claimed they would do. Namely, "If you get the shot you won't get sick." I can pull video of Biden saying that (or effectively saying that if not verbatim).

I think that people in the know realized what the vaccines would do, but what they were really going to do wasn't quite enough to scare the requisite amount of people into taking them. If they started out by comparing it to the flu shot, I don't think people would have been running to take it. (And what I mean by the flu shot is that you can still get the flu with that shot, it just performs some bumps to the immune system). So the initial message was that these are in effect like the MMR. Your chances of getting sick or passing this on to someone else are next to nil if you get the shot. A whole bunch of people got vaccinated and then got sick anyway. That is when things evolved.

I am too lazy to go back and look but IIRC, the discussions we had here about the vaccines didn't evolve until it was clear that they weren't doing what the government mouthpieces claimed they would do. Namely, "If you get the shot you won't get sick." I can pull video of Biden saying that (or effectively saying that if not verbatim).

I think that people in the know realized what the vaccines would do, but what they were really going to do wasn't quite enough to scare the requisite amount of people into taking them. If they started out by comparing it to the flu shot, I don't think people would have been running to take it. (And what I mean by the flu shot is that you can still get the flu with that shot, it just performs some bumps to the immune system). So the initial message was that these are in effect like the MMR. Your chances of getting sick or passing this on to someone else are next to nil if you get the shot. A whole bunch of people got vaccinated and then got sick anyway. That is when things evolved.
Always quotes taken out of context. Someone talks for an hour and says a dozen times "Look this doesn't guarantee you won't catch it" but they say once "get the vaccine and you won't get sick" and that's what people talk about now. But at the time, we all knew the score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT