ADVERTISEMENT

Is Michigan St. Good or is Northwestern bad?

Greensboro Hoosier

Benchwarmer
Sep 12, 2014
Hunter Johnson for Northwestern looks horrible. No receivers. No running backs. Michigan St. Looks better. Big offensive line and young qb looking good. Who knows. Go Hoosiers.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I agree with the sentiment that it's definitely both. We knew Northwestern would drop off, but yikes. They look like a team who would struggle with Rutgers. On the other hand, I think MSU will be more respectable in year 2 with Mel Tucker, however they are still a very flawed football team, this RB looks great but it's easy to run for 10+ ypc when there's not a defender that can get close enough to lay a hand on you for 5 yards. I think MSU's O-Line looking like world beaters was more a testament to the drop off of NU's d-line talent year to year than anything else. Peyton Thorne is a very mediocre QB, and at the end of the day, Michigan State is not talented enough to drastically improve YOY, especially given their QB. I am excited to see how each of these teams does the rest of the year, and I am still not too worried about Sparty coming to town.

Northwestern lost a bunch of people from last season. Going into the game, the sentiment was pretty much “we don’t know what we have.”
An early hint at that was the fact that The Cats were not in the preseason top-25. Coming off what they did last year, including a bowl win and winning the West, you knew that wasn’t a good sign.
Johnson couldn’t carry Ramsey’s jock. You have to be a field general, in command of the offense. Too indecisive but has flashes of great accuracy. But he doesn’t feel like he is running the show. Few weapons in that offense. I see that Mangieri’s brother is now a TE. That team on offense and defense is night and day from last year. Defense has seen a huge drop off. Gave up over 500 yards.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I dont think Johnson was as terrible as everyone thinks he was! He showed he can throw a good ball! His decision making needs some work though and needs better OL and wrs! Hes gonna be ab ok qb a couple years down the line! NWs defense was terrible last night as MSU ran all over them!

Reactions: vesuvius13
I dont think Johnson was as terrible as everyone thinks he was! He showed he can throw a good ball! His decision making needs some work though and needs better OL and wrs! Hes gonna be ab ok qb a couple years down the line! NWs defense was terrible last night as MSU ran all over them!
A couple years down the line? He’s at least a 5th year senior…

ESPN shows him as a senior …. I don’t see how he red shirts this year, even with the new 4 game rule, unless he gets hurt.

Hunter has the tools for the next level, but so do 30 other qbs coming out this year … many of which will put up a winning record in their conference … he better kill it at the combine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT