ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to stick a fork in DeSantis?

I'll be out on DeSantis if he doesn't walk back his stance on Ukraine. Well, I should say even more out, since I rank him second to last among the announced candidates and I don't expect that to change as others announce. I don't concur with Trump or DeSantis on this issue. Haley is my choice at this point.

The Republican Party needs to split in two. So do the Dems.

I'll be out on DeSantis if he doesn't walk back his stance on Ukraine. Well, I should say even more out, since I rank him second to last among the announced candidates and I don't expect that to change as others announce. I don't concur with Trump or DeSantis on this issue. Haley is my choice at this point.

You voted for Biden. Of course you’re not voting for DeSantis.

You voted for Biden. Of course you’re not voting for DeSantis.
Don't count on that. I'm certainly not enthused about him and I'm out unless he changes his position on Ukraine, but I'm not a Democrat. That doesn't mean I don't agree with Democrats on some issues or some Democrats on several issues, but I'm not a Democrat.

Because even some Republicans have standards?
The point is he’s not that conservative or the target audience. You can always vote 3rd party or abstain. I didn’t vote for Trump or Biden. They are both idiots and unfit to be President.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Don't count on that. I'm certainly not enthused about him and I'm out unless he changes his position on Ukraine, but I'm not a Democrat. That doesn't mean I don't agree with Democrats on some issues or some Democrats on several issues, but I'm not a Democrat.
I don’t mean it in a disparaging way. I assume you’re a moderate and vote for both parties.

I agree. I'm very disappointed he's being so flippant about 'US interests'.

I agree that neo-conservatives are too quick to use military power, but damn - there are forces in the world that are just evil. If we don't confront it when it rears its head, we'll eventually fight it here.

However, I wish we'd quit giving military equipment and aid to corrupt regimes and use that money for humanitarian purposes - I think we'd get more bang for our buck.

At least Republicans are having a debate about it. All the peace-loving Democrats are all in on unlimited aid to Ukraine after a by "meh" response to Putin in 2014.

However, I wish we'd quit giving military equipment and aid to corrupt regimes and use that money for humanitarian purposes - I think we'd get more bang for our buck.
Well, they need military equipment at the moment, but in general I agree with you. Foreign aid - especially for humanitarian and economic development purposes - is probably the highest-return expenditure of federal funds that exists, and yet it's the one that has the least public support, which just annoys the hell out of me.

Well, they need military equipment at the moment, but in general I agree with you. Foreign aid - especially for humanitarian and economic development purposes - is probably the highest-return expenditure of federal funds that exists, and yet it's the one that has the least public support, which just annoys the hell out of me.
We fund such stupid shit like the sex lives of geckos in Guatamala - we need to get rid of that shit and start funding education programs in 3rd world countries and mentoring governments. We - my family - supports a charity that supports orphanages in various parts of the world and education is one thing they stress. The kids are dedicated and bright, but their future sucks because their governments are so inept and corrupt.

You know I'm all for military equipment for Ukraine, but where were all the Democrats and their stand against Putin when he invaded Crimea in 2014?

We fund such stupid shit like the sex lives of geckos in Guatamala - we need to get rid of that shit and start funding education programs in 3rd world countries and mentoring governments. We - my family - supports a charity that supports orphanages in various parts of the world and education is one thing they stress. The kids are dedicated and bright, but their future sucks because their governments are so inept and corrupt.

You know I'm all for military equipment for Ukraine, but where were all the Democrats and their stand against Putin when he invaded Crimea in 2014?
I don't know where other Democrats were, but here's why I was: It was wrong, but it was immediately a fait accompli, because Ukraine was in no position to do anything about it, and honestly, most of Crimea was perfectly happy to be part of Russia, so it was unlikely that there was going to be any kind of serious internal insurrection. Since then, Ukraine has made great strides in becoming militarily prepared for Russian aggression, and the current Russian campaign is targeting a lot more than just areas that might be sympathetic to Moscow.

Edit: In other words, sending the kind of aid we are sending now back in 2014 would have been worthless.

I don't know where other Democrats were, but here's why I was: It was wrong, but it was immediately a fait accompli, because Ukraine was in no position to do anything about it, and honestly, most of Crimea was perfectly happy to be part of Russia, so it was unlikely that there was going to be any kind of serious internal insurrection. Since then, Ukraine has made great strides in becoming militarily prepared for Russian aggression, and the current Russian campaign is targeting a lot more than just areas that might be sympathetic to Moscow.

Edit: In other words, sending the kind of aid we are sending now back in 2014 would have been worthless.
I don't know about military aid then being worthless, but to just respond with nothing was wrong. We could have at least put some sanctions on Russia then - maybe we did, but our response was pretty tepid.

Whether most of Crimea was happy to be Russian is irrelevant. It was naked aggression and should have been treated as such.

I don't know about military aid then being worthless, but to just respond with nothing was wrong. We could have at least put some sanctions on Russia then - maybe we did, but our response was pretty tepid.

Whether most of Crimea was happy to be Russian is irrelevant. It was naked aggression and should have been treated as such.
We, and Europe, put pretty severe sanctions on Russia after 2014. We probably could have done more - Europe wasn't ready to get off Russian fossil fuels, for example - but the sorry state of Russia's economy is almost certainly at least partially a result of the sanctions we put on them after Crimea.

I agree Crimeans' feelings are largely irrelevant to the geopolitical reality of Russia's actions, I'm just saying that it was yet another check in the list of "Reasons there is very little chance anyone can stop this." Obviously, the biggest check was that Ukraine was practically a failed state at the time.

That's all good and well, but none of Trump's comments about Desantis matters until Trump calls Desantis "horseface" and says Desantis is "not my style."
Ron DeSantis: "Respectfully sir, my style is someone who would not have locked you in your homes for a year at the advice of people who lied to me and I never fired because I was worried about what the media would say about me."

Reactions: DANC
The Republican Party needs to split in two. So do the Dems.
Why is it in our national interests to continue to dump money for an indeterminate amount of time? If we are truly moving to a multipolar world again, we are going to have to start picking and choosing where we expend our limited resources. We are already $31.6 trillion in debt (and rising). We are expending military hardware in Ukraine that will take years to replace when we may not have that time.

Who are we more worried about? Based on what we have seen, do we believe the Russians are capable of storming across Europe? Based on the state of Europe's Largest Economy's military (Germany) are they an ally or a protectorate? Which countries in Europe are contributors of much more than jumping off points to attack Russia? There is much to be gained from taking some of this on, but it is totally fair to question when enough is enough.

Do we think that Ukraine is going to be able to regain the territory it has lost? If the answer to that question is no, how many more billions of dollars is it worth to dump into the meat grinder? The Russian military is not a threat to us or Europe anymore outside of nuclear weapons. We have pumped $46.6 billion in military aid into Ukraine over the past year. All on our great grandkids (or later) credit card.

"We have to stop the Russians" seems to be the reason why. Seems like they are stopped. If Ukraine isn't able to start making real battlefield gains this summer, then there needs to be a discussion of how we end this thing IMO.

Why is it in our national interests to continue to dump money for an indeterminate amount of time? If we are truly moving to a multipolar world again, we are going to have to start picking and choosing where we expend our limited resources. We are already $31.6 trillion in debt (and rising). We are expending military hardware in Ukraine that will take years to replace when we may not have that time.

Who are we more worried about? Based on what we have seen, do we believe the Russians are capable of storming across Europe? Based on the state of Europe's Largest Economy's military (Germany) are they an ally or a protectorate? Which countries in Europe are contributors of much more than jumping off points to attack Russia? There is much to be gained from taking some of this on, but it is totally fair to question when enough is enough.

Do we think that Ukraine is going to be able to regain the territory it has lost? If the answer to that question is no, how many more billions of dollars is it worth to dump into the meat grinder? The Russian military is not a threat to us or Europe anymore outside of nuclear weapons. We have pumped $46.6 billion in military aid into Ukraine over the past year. All on our great grandkids (or later) credit card.

"We have to stop the Russians" seems to be the reason why. Seems like they are stopped. If Ukraine isn't able to start making real battlefield gains this summer, then there needs to be a discussion of how we end this thing IMO.
I agree more with you Desantis and trump than aloha. That’s why it does seem that the divide in the Republican Party is deeper than trump. Ignoring trump and all his warts I agree with his take on things more than aloha. And I don’t mean to single out aloha as wrong (or right) - just as representative of what is becoming a clearer camp and divide

Reactions: MrBing
I agree more with you Desantis and trump than aloha. That’s why it does seem that the divide in the Republican Party is deeper than trump. Ignoring trump and all his warts I agree with his take on things more than aloha. And I don’t mean to single out aloha as wrong (or right) - just as representative of what is becoming a clearer camp and divide
You run Aloha out of the GOP and into the Democratic party my team will be stronger and yours will be weaker.

Knowing Aloha I doubt that will happen but that would be the result.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
You run Aloha out of the GOP and into the Democratic party my team will be stronger and yours will be weaker.

Fear leads to the dark (dem) side? lol

Not sure it means into the Dem party. It does seem that pub interests are no longer congruent

Amazing how few of us there are that believe this.

There might be more that believe that but believe getting rid of trump was important enough to hold your nose and vote for the other person.

Many people determined Trump needed removed at any cost and not voting doesn't quite help as much in that goal.

Last edited:
I am not necessarily saying we walk away, but I think it is fair to ask questions. We didn't ask these questions in 2001 and again in 2003 and we watched a bunch of money basically get lit on fire for the next 20 years.

I don't want to run him out, I like the guy. :) It is okay to disagree though. When only two parties exist, there are going to be times you are in a coalition that is doing things you aren't always 100% behind. You pick the people you are behind the most.

All you have to do is look at the Sudetenland situation to know that allowing a land-grabbing dictatorship to just invade another country leads to a much greater catastrophe later on.

We need to give Ukraine enough aid to win, which is to kick Russia out of all Ukraine, including Crimea. It's the only way to avoid a future, worse, disaster.

We are treaty-bound to get involved if a NATO country is attacked.

I don't want to run him out, I like the guy. :) It is okay to disagree though. When only two parties exist, there are going to be times you are in a coalition that is doing things you aren't always 100% behind. You pick the people you are behind the most.
Problem is my party seems to be adding to the things I’m not onboard with. Of course they haven’t surpassed the Democrats in that regard, but I’m not liking the trend.

I've got plenty of NON propaganda stories that reported she said a hellava lot more than this, and made a complete fool of herself the night Matt Lauer interviewed her. She said she would get him fired for it and....

The swamp that Hillary and Obama built...Yea right Trump is the bad guy. LMAO

FrMxHaNWYAEdLaD
You’re cuckoo. Bet you get your info the same plane dbm does .

Reactions: jet812
Isolationism, fiscal irresponsibility, irrationalism (election denial), pessimism and incivility to name a few things that are stuck in my craw.
TO help define these aloha issues;
  1. Isolationsim - He hates that we are sick of other piss holes buyin .01% of our product and we send them $100 billion in foreign aid
  2. Fiscal Irresponsibility - He voted for buyden (but I'm pissed about this also)
  3. Irrationalism - Oh paaaalease Nancy
  4. Pessimism - We think your son that shoves tampons up his butt, because he thinks he a woman and just doesn't get it, is actually bad for the country (Human race actually)
  5. Incivility - I saluted the flag just today.
How he can have these "issues" and blame them on "his party" is totally laughable. In a totally dishonest kind of disgusting way.

TO help define these aloha issues;
  1. Isolationsim - He hates that we are sick of other piss holes buyin .01% of our product and we send them $100 billion in foreign aid
  2. Fiscal Irresponsibility - He voted for buyden (but I'm pissed about this also)
  3. Irrationalism - Oh paaaalease Nancy
  4. Pessimism - We think your son that shoves tampons up his butt, because he thinks he a woman and just doesn't get it, is actually bad for the country (Human race actually)
  5. Incivility - I saluted the flag just today.
How he can have these "issues" and blame them on "his party" is totally laughable. In a totally dishonest kind of disgusting way.
1. If you think we should abandon Ukraine and let Russia and the rest of the world know that we won't support democracies against dictatorial regimes, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
2. If you think that allowing us to default on our debt while talking about reducing deficits and debt without ever proposing solutions, or think Trump is fit to be President, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
3. If you think the 2020 election was stolen, the military is led by Democrats, January 6 was only a mostly peaceful protest, think vaccines are the problem and refuse to acknowledge that Trump cost us the Senate in 2020 and 2022, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
4. That's stupid, but if you think that the country is on the edge of ruin and not still the greatest country on the planet, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
5. If you're a flying a "F*ck Biden" flag (is that the flag you saluted?) or like to chant, "Let's Go Brandon!", you're the problem. I don't want you in my party.

All the above is disgusting and pervasive among the Trumpsters within my party. If 1 through 5 become the norm in our party, it won't be my party. It'll be yours. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Isolationism, fiscal irresponsibility, irrationalism (election denial), pessimism and incivility to name a few things that are stuck in my craw.
You've described the Democrat Party to a T.

Sure, there are factions of Republicans who believe some of those things, but that's not the Party.

For Dems, those are their mantra.

1. If you think we should abandon Ukraine and let Russia and the rest of the world know that we won't support democracies against dictatorial regimes, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
2. If you think that allowing us to default on our debt while talking about reducing deficits and debt without ever proposing solutions, or think Trump is fit to be President, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
3. If you think the 2020 election was stolen, the military is led by Democrats, December 6 was only a mostly peaceful protest, think vaccines are the problem and refuse to acknowledge that Trump cost us the Senate in 2020 and 2022, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
4. That's stupid, but if you think that the country is on the edge of ruin and not still the greatest country on the planet, you're a problem. I don't want you in my party.
5. If you're a flying a "F*ck Biden" flag (is that the flag you saluted?) or like to chant, "Let's Go Brandon!", you're the problem. I don't want you in my party.

All the above is disgusting and pervasive among the Trumpsters within my party. If 1 through 5 become the norm in our party, it won't be my party. It'll be yours. Good luck with that.
"Let's go Brandon" triggers you? Yet you've never spoken out about anyone calling Trump an 'orange turd'.

Your outrage is pretty damn selective.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
"Let's go Brandon" triggers you? Yet you've never spoken out about anyone calling Trump an 'orange turd'.

Your outrage is pretty damn selective.
Not at all selective. I’ve called out Dems for that, for the insults on GWB, McCain, Romney, Ryan, Palin, and on and on. Incivility is a big problem in our politics. It used to be predominantly on the left and now it’s at least as much on the right. I don’t think that equates to “winning.”

Not at all selective. I’ve called out Dems for that, for the insults on GWB, McCain, Romney, Ryan, Palin, and on and on. Incivility is a big problem in our politics. It used to be predominantly on the left and now it’s at least as much on the right. I don’t think that equates to “winning.”
I don't know how you expect Republicans to sit back and take shit for decades and not finally have enough to respond in kind.

We can only wear a 'kick me' sign for so long.

I don't know how you expect Republicans to sit back and take shit for decades and not finally have enough to respond in kind.

We can only wear a 'kick me' sign for so long.
I don’t expect that. I expect the Republicans to respond maturely and logically as serious people do. Reagan would not approve of Trumpster style politics and he was no pushover.

I live in Florida now.. During the height of covid DeSantis was dismissing wearing masks and telling municipalities that their fines not wearing masks could not be enforced. He even told minors at school rallies to take their masks off. Yet he never asked answered the question as to whether he had a vaccination.

I question the existence of God because Trump and DeSantis are not dead.

I live in Florida now.. During the height of covid DeSantis was dismissing wearing masks and telling municipalities that their fines not wearing masks could not be enforced. He even told minors at school rallies to take their masks off. Yet he never asked answered the question as to whether he had a vaccination.

I question the existence of God because Trump and DeSantis are not dead.
We really are two countries on one plot. I’d rather have a job licking masks than you for a neighbor

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT