ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

What would YOU say then if they do hit 7 or 8 this year? (i.e. Iowa = 5, MN = 6, MD = 7 & PU = 8?) Would you & others say Allen is the right guy, this was indeed a new bar and they should stay the course? (Note: not sure if you are down on Allen or not, not saying you are, but you did say this is 6-win team, so curious how you would react then if they hit "the next milestone" this season?

Pretty simple. More than 6 exceeds expectations and is indeed a milestone. Eight wins this year would be exceeding expectations by a lot and doesn't automatically mean 9 is the goal next year. If they got 8 then IMO maintaining that next year would be a goal and a milestone as well.

Playing Iowa turns IU players into magicians. In fact, a few years ago one IU player floated horizontally for 8 feet exactly one inch above the Iowa end zone turf until he was out of bounds.

Simply amazing feats of magic.

Playing Iowa turns IU players into magicians. In fact, a few years ago one IU player floated horizontally for 8 feet exactly one inch above the Iowa end zone turf until he was out of bounds.

Haha love it!

OKAY...I was absent this past weekend for the games...Went to Moto Des Nations up at Red Bud.

Anyways I watched replays of IU and CU my favorite schools. I'm reading some posts here about Ramsey and Penix AGAIN and some think its stupid to be wishing for Penix. One thing that sorely sticks out, and I mean so obvious at this point it hurts to watch is Ramsey's ball speed. It's agonizing waiting for the ball to get there. I watched Haskins for ohio state and Montez for CU and its just night and day folks. Both guys throw bullets. Ramsey on the other hand while sometimes effective is hard to watch compared to the two I just mentioned. If Ramsey had the arm of either of those two QB's I just mentioned the game would have went to the wire last week. Too many times there were balls that if they had the zip would have made a difference against a team with that kind of closing speed.

Now am I saying Penix should start? NO, BUT get him in a ball game with good competition Period. Oh wait it might damage his psyche...I say Bullsh!t. He may answer the challenge, and if he doesn't its sure gonna be a wake up call on how much harder he is going t have to work to become competitive at that high level.

Damn man some of the posts???

Reactions: DANC
At this point I think it is clear that the gamble is to use Penix in two winnable games and redshirt him for next year. IU was not going to beat OSU. This week could be different especially if PR is slightly dinged.

Reactions: MrBing
It is very hard to run a two QB system. Iowa used two QBs in the 2001 season. However, clearly senior Kyle McCann was the #1. Brad Banks did finish #2 in the Heisman the next season, and Iowa finished 8-0 in the Big Ten.

However, it is hard to run a two QB system. Just saying.

Reactions: Chriselli
I guess I don't understand why the could maybe should win sounds like a "drunk post"?
Most people don't string multiple verbs together when they're writing or talking - - particularly when two of the verbs (could and should) mean very different things. A game that a team could win is very different from a game that the team should win. His sentence didn't make sense.

Most people don't string multiple verbs together when they're writing or talking - - particularly when two of the verbs (could and should) mean very different things. A game that a team could win is very different from a game that the team should win. His sentence didn't make sense.
Hahaha its all good...could and should I consider like this:

Could meaning if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

Should meaning we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

jus sayin :)

Reactions: Bowlmania
OKAY...I was absent this past weekend for the games...Went to Moto Des Nations up at Red Bud.

Anyways I watched replays of IU and CU my favorite schools. I'm reading some posts here about Ramsey and Penix AGAIN and some think its stupid to be wishing for Penix. One thing that sorely sticks out, and I mean so obvious at this point it hurts to watch is Ramsey's ball speed. It's agonizing waiting for the ball to get there. I watched Haskins for ohio state and Montez for CU and its just night and day folks. Both guys throw bullets. Ramsey on the other hand while sometimes effective is hard to watch compared to the two I just mentioned. If Ramsey had the arm of either of those two QB's I just mentioned the game would have went to the wire last week. Too many times there were balls that if they had the zip would have made a difference against a team with that kind of closing speed.

Now am I saying Penix should start? NO, BUT get him in a ball game with good competition Period. Oh wait it might damage his psyche...I say Bullsh!t. He may answer the challenge, and if he doesn't its sure gonna be a wake up call on how much harder he is going t have to work to become competitive at that high level.

Damn man some of the posts???
Are you arguing that Penix should have played last Saturday in Columbus? In my opinion, that wouldn't have benefited either him personally or the team.

Reactions: MrBing
Are you arguing that Penix should have played last Saturday in Columbus? In my opinion, that wouldn't have benefited either him personally or the team.
Hes got 4 games...Why shouldn't he have had a shot in a couple series? I've seen many fresh QB's without the redshirt rule thrust into duty. Sink or swim it happens. Do I think he should get all mop duty while were ahead? No. I wanna see him under pressure against good competition. Make a decision at the beginning of the game and tell Ramsey we want to see Michael get a couple series this game after half or whenever. Put him in lets see what he has. He played against FIU and Ball State. Against BSU both drives he scored. Put him in a game with significant BIG10 competition. I wanna see what he can do.

Hes got 4 games...Why shouldn't he have had a shot in a couple series? I've seen many fresh QB's without the redshirt rule thrust into duty. Sink or swim it happens. Do I think he should get all mop duty while were ahead? No. I wanna see him under pressure against good competition. Make a decision at the beginning of the game and tell Ramsey we want to see Michael get a couple series this game after half or whenever. Put him in lets see what he has. He played against FIU and Ball State. Against BSU both drives he scored. Put him in a game with significant BIG10 competition. I wanna see what he can do.
That was a really physical game, against possibly the best team in the country, and one in which we had no realistic chance of winning. I don't know, I guess the Iowa game a few years back, when both Sudfeld and Covington (the #2 at the time) went down, is still seared in my memory. We need a healthy backup, particularly given Ramsey's style of play and the fact that he's already banged up.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

I was at that game in Iowa City, sitting above the opposite end zone. Obviously Iowa had a good team that year but Stanzi was shall we say ungood for a decent part of that game. Anyway, I was probably 150 yards from that play, and when it went to review I said, "that’s a TD". No idea how they overturned that, and I’m as big of an Iowa fan as there is in the world.

Reactions: CC Mac
I was at that game in Iowa City, sitting above the opposite end zone. Obviously Iowa had a good team that year but Stanzi was shall we say ungood for a decent part of that game. Anyway, I was probably 150 yards from that play, and when it went to review I said, "that’s a TD". No idea how they overturned that, and I’m as big of an Iowa fan as there is in the world.

We've been robbed there many times.

Its Iowas turn to be robbed and have every break and call go against them.

Reactions: DANC and td75

Levitation.

Pretty simple. More than 6 exceeds expectations and is indeed a milestone. Eight wins this year would be exceeding expectations by a lot and doesn't automatically mean 9 is the goal next year. If they got 8 then IMO maintaining that next year would be a goal and a milestone as well.
I just want to win the fifth this Saturday!

One thing important to both Iowans and Indianans. And almost unknown in Illinois or elsewhere in the country. And basically the only reason we should have any sort of rivalry with you or our most hated rivals at Purdue. The pork tenderloin sandwich. What a treat from God. And Iowans and Indianans are the only people who know about it.
They just opened a Culver’s in Jupiter which is about 40 minutes away and I have been 3 times just for the pork tenderloin. Went to my nephews game at ST Ambrose about 5 or 6 years ago and there was a restaurant right across the street from the stadium that had a pork tenderloin as big as the plate. Made the trip from Florida totally worth it!

Iowa fan coming in peace. Don’t take this question the wrong way, I’m not trolling or trying to make your team look bad. Do you think your team is penalized in the eyes of recruits because you’re thought of as a basketball school? A recruit might look at an offer from Indiana and say that if I go there I’ll play second fiddle to the team playing in Assembly Hall.

Iowa has the reverse problem, as they’ve had much more success in football recently than basketball, although obviously Iowa’s football team has not had the historical success of Indiana basketball.

Yes, because it is true. FB is still a social event while BB is a religious event,

Reactions: ichawk24
Cafe' Pizzaria is great, and right on Kirkwood.
All of those mentioned are very good, but the Divine Swine deep dish at Mother Bear's is the Holy Grail of pizza for me. The large facility on 37 is a god-send. Much shorter wait (if any) and none of the hassle of trying to find a place to park around 3rd and Jordan.

Reactions: iu2win and CC Mac
I dont expect 6 wins unless Penix becomes the starting QB.
What does Penix bring that is better than Ramsey.? A stronger arm is the only thing I can determine. Would you rather have a strong arm behind center or a player that makes the better decisions? Ramsey hasn't done anything that should place him behind Penix. I don't have a problem bringing in a QB that the opposition hasn't studied as much and see if he can run a specific package of plays to catch the defense by surprise. Maybe that brief change would jumpstart our second half.

I believe the staff wants to limit games for Penix until the end of the season and leave the red shirt option open.

If we can win 6-7 games with Ramsey, it would be awesome to have the junior Ramsey and the experienced RS freshman Penix competing for the starting job next year. Penix might win that competition next year. He wasn't ready this year.

Reactions: 76-1 and CC Mac
All of those mentioned are very good, but the Divine Swine deep dish at Mother Bear's is the Holy Grail of pizza for me. The large facility on 37 is a god-send. Much shorter wait (if any) and none of the hassle of trying to find a place to park around 3rd and Jordan.

I must say I'm amazed that they've been able to capture as much of the original "feel" with the second location.

Yep. Iowa really screwed up hiring Kirk Ferentz. 4-19 his first two years and only 6-5 the third. Lost the first four years to unranked arch-rival Iowa State. He was on Hayden Fry's staff for about 10 years so Ferentz's first year was really year 11 and he could only muster 1 and then 3 wins.

Iowa for sure settled for mediocrity and Ferentz should have been fired for taking all the success from Hayden Fry and turning it into abject failure. Conservative football with no flair or creative play-calling.

We Hoosiers need to learn our lesson and get rid of Tom Allen before he becomes Kirk Ferentz and we become Iowa. dws

Wouldn't you FIRST have to get to that level? Man, I thought Nebraska fans had unrealistic expectations.

Totally agree on the parking,I go to the one on 37.

I must say I'm amazed that they've been able to capture as much of the original "feel" with the second location.
I love the original and we still go there occasionally, mostly when there are only a few of us and not at peak times when students are in session. A lot of happy memories of my time as a student. But we have had a couple of large family get-togethers at the new location, something that would have been extremely challenging to pull of at the original.

Cowtipper, you must have been in the very small minority of Iowa fans saying that was a TD back in '09. I recall most Hawk fans supporting the out of bounds over ruling...even though every other football fan nationally and sports talking head saw it clearly as a TD. Amazing how that happens.

In still one of the most "IU football moments" of all time that day, with IU up 14 I think and knocking on the door again, I've still not been able to follow the deflection/bounces on the 90 yard pick 6 that got Iowa and the crowd back in the game. Talk about unfortunate bounces!!

Reactions: 82IU
Mother Bears !!! We visited again when we flew up for the Virginia game . . . best pizza ever and that includes some very good pizza from some Italian pizzeria's that have been around for years here in Florida.

I have a bit of time so will give you my take on my Hawkeyes and would appreciate if someone could return the favor on the Hoosiers.

Overall: this is a very good Iowa team. We still want to run the ball and have won 18 or the last 20 when we run for over 100 yds. The defense is our strong suit this year with the D-Line being one of the best ever at Iowa and going 9 deep. We handed Wisky a win with 3 special teams turnovers, one of which gave them the ball on our 10.

Offense: This is a more balanced run/pass team than many you have seen in the past, due to two reasons. First, QB Stanley can be really good, at times. He can also be just a bit 'off' with accuracy on some of the easy throws. Second, 2nd year OC, Brian Ferentz, is implementing many 'scratch where it itches' options patterned off of Belichek and the Pats. He worked for several years post college and a shot at the NFL.

RB's: Three guys play and all are competent B1G RB's. No one has really stood out all year, but we did see a couple of really nice tosses to one of them at the Minny game. They will give a workmanlike performance and Iowa will stay with the running game even if it not working early.

OL: Pretty good. Not a great Iowa line, but more than OK. Better at pass pro than run blocking, it would seem, but some of that is due to folks stacking the box and us throwing over it.

TE's: The best ones you will see all year. Both Fant and Hockenson will play Sundays. Fant is a freak with WR speed in a 6'5" 240lb body. Hock is a great blocker and catches everything thrown his way.

WR's: Young and improving. Still not a force, but acceptable and improving each week.

Defense: Lots of injuries. 3 LB's out. 2 starting CB's out last week, but think we get one of them back for IU. Julius Brents frm Indy looked great last week, you will see him. Safeties are a strength with 3 guys who are all very good.

D-Line: Play 9 guys deep. Dends have 11 sacks of the teams 18. When Iowa gets 30 sacks in a year we are going to be pretty good. On track for close to 40, at the current rate, with 5 againsy Minny.

LB's: Not sure how they will patch this group together for you guys, but we need a guy or two to get healthy. We will get a big hitter back at MLB for the 2nd half, after a late targeting suspension near the end of the Minny game.

All ready talked about DB's.

Special Teams: Strong field goal kicker. On KO's we will drop it down at about the 5 and dare you to run it out. Minny fair caught all of them. We will take KO's out and have a deep threat in one of the young WR's. Competent on Punt returns and ditto on punts. We will always have a gimmick play up our sleeves on ST. See the Minny fake field goal.

To beat us you have have patience and dink and dunk down the field and do it several times. IMO, this game could become a shoot out, as I think Iowa could score a lot and with our damaged LB corps IU may score a lot.

That's all folks!

I was blown away at your tight end stats. Two out of the top 3 receivers on your team are tight ends. I wish IU would utilize our TE's more. Do you guys send them over the middle, flat, in between safeties and LB's???

Ohh and BTW the last paragraph in your preview. Patience and dink and dunk is exactly how we run our offense with a steady mix of run and pass. It drives some around here crazy but if that is how DeBord sees this game then you will get exactly that. Also our QB Ramsey is a master at the short passing game and very accurate. Interesting...

Last edited:
Iowa #42 sophomore TE is the player to keep an eye on this Saturday. He may be called on this week?

I was blown away at your tight end stats. Two out of the top 3 receivers on your team are tight ends. I wish IU would utilize our TE's more. Do you guys send them over the middle, flat, in between safeties and LB's???

Ohh and BTW the last paragraph in your preview. Patience and dink and dunk is exactly how we run our offense with a steady mix of run and pass. It drives some around here crazy but if that is how DeBord sees this game then you will get exactly that. Also our QB Ramsey is a master at the short passing game and very accurate. Interesting...

Iowa will utilize the TE's everywhere. Fant is fast, Iowa uses him a lot in the red zone. He averaged 16+ yards a catch last year, those numbers are down this year mostly due to having a lot of short TD catches (he has 5). Hockenson is the better in-line blocker and is a capable receiver. Averaging nearly 16 yards a catch. Fant is questionable to play due to concussion protocol. If he does play, Iowa will try at least a couple of times to get him running straight down the field on a safety or LB. If he doesn't play, that takes one of Iowa's best playmakers off the field.

I'm expecting a close game. Indiana is at home, really needs this game based on the immediate schedule after this one (still have to play Penn State and Michigan), and most importantly, Indiana is competent/good. If your o-line can give Ramsey time to throw, Hoosiers have great shot.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Sounds like Mother Bears will get a few of our dollars. Any other places you recommend for a brew or live music?

I'll repeat what I said before...been to all the Big Ten campi (well, the real Big Ten...not Maryland or Rutgers)...Bloomington is one of the best. Looking forward to a good game and a good time.

Iowa is more to our taste. We won't see any fancy passes or those newfangled trick plays.....just good old-fashioned slobber-knocking, the way football should be played, by god. We can win this game....not saying we 'should'.

Meet the new Kirk. Not the same as the old Kirk!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT