ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

Not a gimme for sure, but this is a home game that you could maybe should win. The last thing this team and these fans need is to lose the next 3. If MD and PU give us 6 wins, well we really didnt beat any good teams. IMO

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not a gimme for sure, but this is a home game that you could maybe should win. The last thing this team and these fans need is to lose the next 3. If MD and PU give us 6 wins, well we really didnt beat any good teams. IMO
I'd say Maryland is pretty respectable.

It will be interesting to see how PU plays the rest of the year.

"...a home game that you could maybe should win." This has "drunk post" written all over it.

Six wins and a bowl would be a milestone for this team and this coach, in just his second year at the helm. I don't care who the Ws are against, as long as we get to six. It gives us extra practices in December, it helps with recruiting, and provides a nice springboard for 2019 when many of us would be looking for 7-8 wins. It's about building a program and making steady progress.

You just never give up...and you are wrong...nothing personal but this Penix thing is getting way too old. If he gave us a better chance to win, he would be playing. When was the last time he played? Wonder why?

This coaching staff isnt bold. That's the kind of bold move it will take to start winning. It's the same old rhetoric. I've been a fan of this program for 25 years and it's never going to get better. The 1 coach we had that actually had some stones to get the program moving unfortunately died of Brain Cancer.

Reactions: Mbooch12
This coaching staff isnt bold. That's the kind of bold move it will take to start winning. It's the same old rhetoric. I've been a fan of this program for 25 years and it's never going to get better. The 1 coach we had that actually had some stones to get the program moving unfortunately died of Brain Cancer.
You get dumber with every post. And I feel dumber every time I read something you post. I'm finally going to put you on ignore before I wind up as dumb as you. I should have done it in August.

I was there in person to see both games in which Penix has played this year. He has an amazing arm and everyone around us remarked at the way the ball zipped out of his hand. At the same time, his decision making was clearly in question and he was not as successful running the ball as PR. Watching IU play the #3 team in the country yesterday, I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could continue to question Ramsey as the starting QB for IU. He was outstanding. Zero interceptions . . . ZERO. He threw downfield successfully. Yes, he missed a few but his supporting crew also missed a few, at least one of which would likely have resulted in a td.

I'm excited to see Penix lead the Hoosiers at QB . . . once the coaches are satisfied he has all of the elements in place to offer IU the best (and by that I mean better than Ramsey) opportunity to get the "W". I watch Ramsey play and I see so many of the "less athletic" QB's from Northwestern who deceptively led their teams to victory over IU for years, not to mention many wins over the "big boys" of the conference too.

"Bold" move may just be he isn't ready yet. He may have a strong arm but struggling with the rest. You do it all to play in the B10. I also think they are saving him for an emergency...which may be now...depending on Ramsey's injury extent. The staff must win to keep their jobs. Pretty good motivator to get the guy on the field who can win for you. For now, that is clearly Ramsey. Until it isn't, Penix will sit. When he is better than Ramsey, he wll play. Seems simple to me.

Last edited:
Watching IU play the #3 team in the country yesterday, I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could continue to question Ramsey as the starting QB for IU. He was outstanding
Well said, and absolutely true. Was he perfect? Of course not, but he played consistently well against a team that might be the eventual national champion. The "play Penix" posters, to borrow a phrase from oldcougar, look dumber with every post.

Well said, and absolutely true. Was he perfect? Of course not, but he played consistently well against a team that might be the eventual national champion. The "play Penix" posters, to borrow a phrase from oldcougar, look dumber with every post.

How in the world someone can blame our offense on Ramsey is beyond me. The kid gives 110% and makes a ton of plays with his feet. He threw some great balls in pressure situations and, the long ball aside, his intermediate and touch throws have been head and shoulders above last year. As for The Hep comments by the other pre-menstrual poster:

Everybody liked Hep and his personality but there was no evidence his philosophy and trajectory was any different than the current state of IU football. He had some huge blowouts where we were not remotely competitive. Wisconsin game comes to mind. Maybe he would have had us as a 9 win team by now but that is just pure conjecture.

How in the world someone can blame our offense on Ramsey is beyond me. The kid gives 110% and makes a ton of plays with his feet. He threw some great balls in pressure situations and, the long ball aside, his intermediate and touch throws have been head and shoulders above last year. As for The Hep comments by the other pre-menstrual poster:

Everybody liked Hep and his personality but there was no evidence his philosophy and trajectory was any different than the current state of IU football. He had some huge blowouts where we were not remotely competitive. Wisconsin game comes to mind. Maybe he would have had us as a 9 win team by now but that is just pure conjecture.
I loved Hep's enthusiasm too. But it takes a lot more than that to win in the B10. He may have one day led us to the National Championship...but the actual body of evidence left behind gave no such indication...yet...but many have elevated him to sainthood...which is okay I guess...but don't use plays or style arguments based on him as we don't know what he would have done in any situation...not enough data...simple as that.

I still loved the guy...

Look, I know you've been attacked a lot be me and others...but please understand, I feel your pain. Part of me wants to drop to the floor and pound stand until somehow it all adds up to us winning big. No, the program has pretty much stayed within a narrow band of performance. 4-6 wins, with occasional worse or better seasons. Coaches come who are going to save the day and change the culture only to be shown the door 4-6 years later. It has become a revolving door and seems to never end.

But the truth is, what happened yesterday doesn't always mean what is going to happen tomorrow. There are actually signs that IU has some new steam, some forward mo that could lead to better talent and more winning. That is the only slow, painstaking method I know of building a program. We actually have a budding defense, a defense!! Some talk about wanting to spend big buck for a nationally known coach. But would that guarantee he could get top recruits to come to a place known as a perennial loser? I don't know but it would be a gamble, a big one for a program like IU. Allen looks okay to me. My concern with him was how far back would we fall as he learns the ropes.

You know what yesterdays game told me? That we haven't fallen back one inch as a whole. Our deficiencies are in new places, but the change from Wilson to Allen looks to me like a success. I take back many of my early concerns because of that game yesterday.

Try letting go of the past. It is hard to do. But there is much to be excited about. Maybe not for this season, though a bowl still looks possible to me. But for a future that looks so high I think the thin air boggles a few people.
Shuck the gloom and doom for the potential before us. Climb on a fan wagon that may one day get a bit crowded. Much to prove, but it has begun, and yesterday is part of that.

Don't know if this means anything to you. Just remember, I am not your enemy, no one here is. We need all the IU fans working together here...this future must be built and all hands will be needed.

Yours too...

Should be a tough contest. Will need to play our best. Iowa is a tough out. It would be nice to get some of our walking wounded back.

Iowa has some injuries as well. Started 2 true freshmen at corner. One of them was Brents from Indy. He might very well retain the starting job. He's good. Starting MLB had a knee injury. His backup got ejected for targeting with 1 minute left so he's out the first half against Indiana. Both of the corners who were out were cleared medically late in the week. Will be interesting to see if one/both of them play.

I would expect Iowa to be around a 5-point favorite. Should be a good game.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
It's a shame we got so beat up against O$U. We have a real shot against Iowa...

Last edited:
Hawks fan & I come in peace. Sounds like IU is as beaten up as the Hawks. We were down both starting CB's and two starting LB's against Minny and lost our MLB and his backup for the 1st half vs. you guys. The offense is far healthier than the D. Our D-line is very good and very deep & safeties are money. All LB's were new this year as we graduated our top 4 from last year. They have been surprisingly good for most of us. Minny had 7-8 in the box all night and held us to just over 100 yards rushing. QB had 300+ yards and 4 TD's. Two turnovers inside the 20 gifted Minny 14 points, otherwise this game is a complete blowout.

I think this will be a very close game and injuries will have an impact for both teams. Iowa is tough to run on and throw deep on (due the rush of the D-line more than the prowess of the DB's) but are susceptible to short crossing routes. IF IU can have the patience to work that area against for the whole game they may beat us. Best of luck (just hope you come up a little short).

I'm not being a hater or anything. I'm just as tired of losing as I'm sure all of you are too. No offense to the Iowa fans but it ****** me off that your University that is probably in a worse location, can continually win 7-9 games a year! As much as Iowa fans dog on Ferentz, I would damn near sell my soul to have had him the past 15 years. Hopefully Allen can get something like that going.

I'm not being a hater or anything. I'm just as tired of losing as I'm sure all of you are too. No offense to the Iowa fans but it ****** me off that your University that is probably in a worse location, can continually win 7-9 games a year! As much as Iowa fans dog on Ferentz, I would damn near sell my soul to have had him the past 15 years. Hopefully Allen can get something like that going.

FK...as a Hawk fan, I do not take any offense to what you said. And, also as a Hawk fan I can understand what you are saying about having Kirk..and the success he has had. FWIW...I think Allen is the real deal, and will get you guys where you want to be. I am already impressed with him. I know that I hate that we play you guys this year, and at your place to boot. We do NOT match up well. It has the same feel for me as when we play NW. I am praying we win, but will not be surprised if we lose.

Hope both teams can get healthy and stay healthy.

You won't get me 'dogging' on KF. He is a great fit for Iowa & I could not be happier he has been there for 20 years. IC is a tough place to recruit to and not many D1 players coming from Iowa. That said, we get guys that fit with what Ferentz wants and make it work. Every once in a while we get a magical season like 2015 and enjoy the heck out of them.

Should be a tough contest. Will need to play our best. Iowa is a tough out. It would be nice to get some of our walking wounded back.

Iowa is banged up as well. More on the defensive side of the ball, but they started two freshman on the road at Minny. If Iowa doesn’t get healthy in the back 7, this could be a tough game for Iowa.

Dude, Iowa City is pretty great. Probably the only reason we can recruit legit 3* guys who got rejected by the large profile programs. Predict a win, go for it, but don't shit on Iowa City. Come here for the next IU road game against Iowa. We are kind. We like to party. We get down. I've heard great things about Bloomington as well, and definitely want to visit for a hoops game before I die.

FK...as a Hawk fan, I do not take any offense to what you said. And, also as a Hawk fan I can understand what you are saying about having Kirk..and the success he has had. FWIW...I think Allen is the real deal, and will get you guys where you want to be. I am already impressed with him. I know that I hate that we play you guys this year, and at your place to boot. We do NOT match up well. It has the same feel for me as when we play NW. I am praying we win, but will not be surprised if we lose.

Hope both teams can get healthy and stay healthy.
I have tremendous respect for your program and have always felt a kinship with Iowa fans...Midwesterners all. We would be fortunate indeed to model our program after the one built there. Also one of the nicest and most knowledgeable fan bases in the league. This will be a fun game.

i've been a fan of this program for 50 years and you are way way wrong.

Dude, Iowa City is pretty great. Probably the only reason we can recruit legit 3* guys who got rejected by the large profile programs. Predict a win, go for it, but don't shit on Iowa City. Come here for the next IU road game against Iowa. We are kind. We like to party. We get down. I've heard great things about Bloomington as well, and definitely want to visit for a hoops game before I die.

That's not what I meant. I have 0 doubt, that I would like Iowa City. Iowa is a good state. Your state probably grows a lot of food that I eat. They build John Deere equipment that I use on a daily basis because I am an operator. And that's just the rural stuff. No problem with Iowa.

I just meant that part of the country is hard to recruit to. Indiana is similar. But my point is, If Iowa can have a respectable program, why cant we?

Iowa is also beat to hell with starting MLB out for the foreseeable future and his back up got ejected in 2nd half vs Minn for targeting so he'll be out first half. True freshmen will most likely get the start at MLB Saturday which is scary. Brief summary for our friends from Indiana and what they can expect from Iowa.

The Good:
1. The pass rush is down right nasty, Iowa's 3rd down pass rushing unit is incredibly hard to block.
2. Saftey play is really good. Iowa's secondary isn't elite but they will have very few busts as the safeties get everyone in the right position.
3. Starting tight ends may be best combo in the country. No exaggeration here, Fant and Hockensen are really good football players. They're matchup nightmares and will very soon be catching passes on Sundays.

The uncertain.
1. You don't know which Stanley will show up. Some weeks he looks like a 1st round draft pick and others he looks bad. His play changes not just week to week but play to play. He's not consistent right now but a Veteran QB nonetheless.
2. Punt return game. Can be a huge asset but could also be an absolute disaster as seen in the Wisconsin game.

The Bad:
1. Iowa has a liability at RCB. Both Ojemudia and Moss have been burned the last two weeks. That is one glaring deficiency of this defense.
2. Inconsistent run game. You never know what you're going to get, some weeks it looks good and others it looks bad.
3. Linebacker depth is scary. Three of the top 6 LBs will be out for Saturdays game. The ones that will play have little to no game experience, everyone is new.

ADVERTISEMENT