ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

I'm not being a hater or anything. I'm just as tired of losing as I'm sure all of you are too. No offense to the Iowa fans but it ****** me off that your University that is probably in a worse location, can continually win 7-9 games a year! As much as Iowa fans dog on Ferentz, I would damn near sell my soul to have had him the past 15 years. Hopefully Allen can get something like that going.
I'll throw this in...the most vocal critics of KF within the Hawkeye fan base are the same ones that usually want the 2nd string QB in the game. Winning football at schools like ours is a long-term proposition. Let your coach do his thing for more than three years and your chances of success go up, IMHO. Most college AD's aren't smart enough to have figured that out. Best of luck Saturday.

That's not what I meant. I have 0 doubt, that I would like Iowa City. Iowa is a good state. Your state probably grows a lot of food that I eat. They build John Deere equipment that I use on a daily basis because I am an operator. And that's just the rural stuff. No problem with Iowa.

I just meant that part of the country is hard to recruit to. Indiana is similar. But my point is, If Iowa can have a respectable program, why cant we?

No one should be offended by what you said. Iowa is a state with 3M people and shares it with another P5 school. Between Hayden and Ferentz, we've been fortunate enough to win 5 conference titles and a division title. Certainly not the OSU/Mich level, but good for what the state has in terms of resources and recruiting ground. This is a constant argument on the Iowa message boards, where a faction believes that 10+ wins every year are a matter of just wanting to and recruiting better players and if you don't agree with them you are willing to settle for mediocrity. Ferentz isn't perfect, far from it, but he has created a culture where his teams are going to compete a certain way.

"Bold" move may just be he isn't ready yet. He may have a strong arm but struggling with the rest. You do it all to play in the B10. I also think they are saving him for an emergency...which may be now...depending on Ramsey's injury extent. The staff must win to keep their jobs. Pretty good motivator to get the guy on the field who can win for you. For now, that is clearly Ramsey. Until it isn't, Penix will sit. When he is better than Ramsey, he wll play. Seems simple to me.
There's old coaches and bold coaches.
But no old bold coaches.

Reactions: ESalum86 and IUCol
Winning football at schools like ours is a long-term proposition. Let your coach do his thing for more than three years and your chances of success go up, IMHO. Most college AD's aren't smart enough to have figured that out. Best of luck Saturday.

Most fans aren't smart enough to have figured that out either. A bad year and time for a change is their mantra.

No one should be offended by what you said. Iowa is a state with 3M people and shares it with another P5 school. Between Hayden and Ferentz, we've been fortunate enough to win 5 conference titles and a division title. Certainly not the OSU/Mich level, but good for what the state has in terms of resources and recruiting ground. This is a constant argument on the Iowa message boards, where a faction believes that 10+ wins every year are a matter of just wanting to and recruiting better players and if you don't agree with them you are willing to settle for mediocrity. Ferentz isn't perfect, far from it, but he has created a culture where his teams are going to compete a certain way.
Great post. Your description of your board sounds just like ours! Ha ha. People will be people. Looking for a good game Saturday from a team I have a lot of respect for. Should be fun.

"...a home game that you could maybe should win." This has "drunk post" written all over it.

Six wins and a bowl would be a milestone for this team and this coach, in just his second year at the helm. I don't care who the Ws are against, as long as we get to six. It gives us extra practices in December, it helps with recruiting, and provides a nice springboard for 2019 when many of us would be looking for 7-8 wins. It's about building a program and making steady progress.

6 wins a "milestone"? lol...loser's mentality.

Don't kid yourself, 5 wins for this team would be a big setback. And it sure as hell does matter who the 6 are. One needs to be Purdue. The fan base needs to be energized, and it won't happen with a 6 win season that doesn't include Purdue.

Let's start with Saturday. Just win. No excuses.

Don't kid yourself, 5 wins for this team would be a big setback. And it sure as hell does matter who the 6 are. One needs to be Purdue. The fan base needs to be energized, and it won't happen with a 6 win season that doesn't include Purdue.

Milestone (dictionary definition): an action or event marking a significant change or stage in development.

For a program that's been to a total of eleven bowl games in its history, six wins and a bowl game this year would be a milestone. It would also be a personal milestone for our head coach, in just his second season.

For just the second time, I'm putting someone (you) on ignore. I can deal with differences of opinion, but I can't deal with stupidity.

Six wins and a 3-6 conference record should never be celebrated as a milestone if program building is the goal, based on where Allen started. It’s an example of the “good enough” attitude that is accepted by far too many.

Reactions: td75
Great post. Your description of your board sounds just like ours! Ha ha. People will be people. Looking for a good game Saturday from a team I have a lot of respect for. Should be fun.
Yep. Iowa really screwed up hiring Kirk Ferentz. 4-19 his first two years and only 6-5 the third. Lost the first four years to unranked arch-rival Iowa State. He was on Hayden Fry's staff for about 10 years so Ferentz's first year was really year 11 and he could only muster 1 and then 3 wins.

Iowa for sure settled for mediocrity and Ferentz should have been fired for taking all the success from Hayden Fry and turning it into abject failure. Conservative football with no flair or creative play-calling.

We Hoosiers need to learn our lesson and get rid of Tom Allen before he becomes Kirk Ferentz and we become Iowa. dws

Six wins and a 3-6 conference record should never be celebrated as a milestone if program building is the goal, based on where Allen started. It’s an example of the “good enough” attitude that is accepted by far too many.
Of course six wins isn't "good enough" in the long run. But it would be an important step in the "program building" process. 5 wins last year in Allen's first season, 6 wins in 2018, 7+ in 2019, etc. Improvement every year. Better recruiting (we're already seeing that). Steady progress.

Agree 100%. i think we have some flaws but we have the players to compete with Iowa at home. So yea we should win this game. If not regroup and play the next one.

Agree 100%. i think we have some flaws but we have the players to compete with Iowa at home. So yea we should win this game. If not regroup and play the next one.
It's the "should" rather than "could" that bugs me here. Just exactly where does "should" with any team IU plays come from? A losers mentality is one where you expect a win where one can only come by luck then turning on the team when they don't do as you claimed they would.

Expect a good game...root for a win...deal with the results...the IU Fan mantra...

Alabama fans are really the only ones that should expect to win.

I like are chances in this one.

Indiana opens as a 5 point underdog at home. If the Hoosiers win it would be a mild upset. It is not a game that Indiana "should" win. Also don't need to fire the coach or tear down any facilities if the outcome is unfavorable.

Reactions: RBB89 and 76-1
Indiana opens as a 5 point underdog at home. If the Hoosiers win it would be a mild upset. It is not a game that Indiana "should" win. Also don't need to fire the coach or tear down any facilities if the outcome is unfavorable.
Unless we win one of the next couple of games, I suspect IU will be underdogs the rest of the way out, barring maybe Minny, maybe. PU is playing too well and have a ranked team upset under their belt. Its conceivable we will be dogs for all...but who cares?? That's why...as they say...we play the game...

Reactions: 76-1
This coaching staff isnt bold. That's the kind of bold move it will take to start winning. It's the same old rhetoric. I've been a fan of this program for 25 years and it's never going to get better. The 1 coach we had that actually had some stones to get the program moving unfortunately died of Brain Cancer.

Sounds like you you need to find a new team. And if IU is "never" going to get better, why are you posting?

This is a six- win regular season team. Meeting expectations and getting to a bowl is by definition a "milestone" for this program. The next milestone is 7-8 wins which would be the goal for next season. Setting goals and meeting them is hardly a "loser's mentality"

No excuses.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
It's the "should" rather than "could" that bugs me here. Just exactly where does "should" with any team IU plays come from? A losers mentality is one where you expect a win where one can only come by luck then turning on the team when they don't do as you claimed they would.

Expect a good game...root for a win...deal with the results...the IU Fan mantra...

I would not argue that we "should" beat Purdue. They have a better QB, a better RB (Knox), a better DL, better LBs, and a true game-changer in R. Moore. I also think they have a far better game coach. We have more depth at WR, and our secondary is much better than theirs. I don't think we match up well at all. I think we will be a decided underdog in that game.

Iowa is more to our taste. We won't see any fancy passes or those newfangled trick plays.....just good old-fashioned slobber-knocking, the way football should be played, by god. We can win this game....not saying we 'should'.

So....I'm not saying that we "should" beat Purdue. What I'm saying is that if we go 6-6 and lose to Purdue for the 2nd straight year that it's not a "milestone" year. To me that's a completely asinine thing to say, and reflects a loser's mentality. That would also be a real downer for this fan base, and give Purdue another shot in the arm.......at which point we would start praying that Brohm would just go to UL and leave us alone.......

Reactions: Larryismyname
I'm really concerned about how our injuries picked up against O$U will affect us in the Iowa game.

I know they have their own injuries but I fear they may have more depth to turn to versus who we have ready...

We may have to use Mike Penix at QB sooner than we'd planned due to Ramsey being hobbled over at O$U... By the end of the last game it seemed clear that Ramsey had limited mobility. Hope this doesn't end up being one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments...

If we've lost our starting Left Tackle due to Concussion it could be a really long day for our passing game.

Iowa's strength on defense is known as their pass rush so far this year...

This game will be a serious challenge...

Reactions: Walt542 and IUCol
This is a six- win regular season team. Meeting expectations and getting to a bowl is by definition a "milestone" for this program. The next milestone is 7-8 wins which would be the goal for next season. Setting goals and meeting them is hardly a "loser's mentality"

No excuses.
What would YOU say then if they do hit 7 or 8 this year? (i.e. Iowa = 5, MN = 6, MD = 7 & PU = 8?) Would you & others say Allen is the right guy, this was indeed a new bar and they should stay the course? (Note: not sure if you are down on Allen or not, not saying you are, but you did say this is 6-win team, so curious how you would react then if they hit "the next milestone" this season?

Iowa has more depth this season than I recall in quite a long time. Except CB, and after the Minny game, I'm not sure about that.

I liked this group of young guys last season (8-5), and I like them this year. I believe Iowa is the best team in the West, yes, better than Wiscy. Unfortunately, that didn't mean a thing in the Wiscy game as there were too many mistakes. It's pretty unfair when i a lot of ways Iowa's chance at a special season, and momentum possibly ended after the 4th game.

That's the way football goes. And we will find out if Iowa's secondary can withstand being thrown at this Saturday.

I think next year's Iowa team (on paper) could be really, really good. Usually when Iowa is supposed to be good on paper, it doesn't work out that way. But again, I've likes this group of young men since last season, and I have a feeling we might be on to something.

Iowa loses Saturday if we don't get pressure on Indiana's QB, and keeps turning the ball over.

Reactions: cidsports and IUCol
I'm really concerned about how our injuries picked up against O$U will affect us in the Iowa game.

I know they have their own injuries but I fear they may have more depth to turn to versus who we have ready...

We may have to use Mike Penix at QB sooner than we'd planned due to Ramsey being hobbled over at O$U... By the end of the last game it seemed clear that Ramsey had limited mobility. Hope this doesn't end up being one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments...

If we've lost our starting Left Tackle due to Concussion it could be a really long day for our passing game.

Iowa's strength on defense is known as their pass rush so far this year...

This game will be a serious challenge...
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like we have everybody on this weeks depth chart (except Gest, obviously). Addressing injuries in this week's press conference, Allen said his "hope and intent is those guys will be back." Still, a couple of those guys might be pretty banged up.

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like we have everybody on this weeks depth chart (except Gest, obviously). Addressing injuries in this week's press conference, Allen said his "hope and intent is those guys will be back." Still, a couple of those guys might be pretty banged up.

Ramsey was moving gingerly near the end of the fourth quarter and Cronk appeared to have been accidentally kicked in the head by our own guy...

The injury list is being held closer and closer to the vest this year versus years past.

Going into the O$U game we had more than 10 guys listed as questionable or worse. Looked to me like we may have put 4 or 5 more guys on that list during the O$U game.

I hope I'm dead wrong, everyone comes back healthy for Iowa, and we light them up for a Big Time W...!

Your state probably grows a lot of food that I eat.
One thing important to both Iowans and Indianans. And almost unknown in Illinois or elsewhere in the country. And basically the only reason we should have any sort of rivalry with you or our most hated rivals at Purdue. The pork tenderloin sandwich. What a treat from God. And Iowans and Indianans are the only people who know about it.

Last edited:
I'm not being a hater or anything. I'm just as tired of losing as I'm sure all of you are too. No offense to the Iowa fans but it ****** me off that your University that is probably in a worse location, can continually win 7-9 games a year! As much as Iowa fans dog on Ferentz, I would damn near sell my soul to have had him the past 15 years. Hopefully Allen can get something like that going.

Iowa fan coming in peace. Don’t take this question the wrong way, I’m not trolling or trying to make your team look bad. Do you think your team is penalized in the eyes of recruits because you’re thought of as a basketball school? A recruit might look at an offer from Indiana and say that if I go there I’ll play second fiddle to the team playing in Assembly Hall.

Iowa has the reverse problem, as they’ve had much more success in football recently than basketball, although obviously Iowa’s football team has not had the historical success of Indiana basketball.

Iowa fan coming in peace. Don’t take this question the wrong way, I’m not trolling or trying to make your team look bad. Do you think your team is penalized in the eyes of recruits because you’re thought of as a basketball school? A recruit might look at an offer from Indiana and say that if I go there I’ll play second fiddle to the team playing in Assembly Hall.

Iowa has the reverse problem, as they’ve had much more success in football recently than basketball, although obviously Iowa’s football team has not had the historical success of Indiana basketball.

Not anymore.

As someone who was beating the Penix drum...if Peyton continues to throw the ball downfield to the receivers like he did last week, then I hope he is our quarterback for the rest of the season. He was borderline spectacular for most of that game.

I kept thinking, if we can do this against Ohio State, where was this against Michigan State?!?

Reactions: Rakkasan29 and DANC
One thing important to both Iowans and Indianans. And almost unknown in Illinois or elsewhere in the country. And basically the only reason we should have any sort of rivalry with you or our most hated rivals at Purdue. The pork tenderloin sandwich. What a treat from God. And an Iowans and Indianans are the only people who know about it.
It's because Indiana and Iowa have a lot of German descendants. Don't tell anyone, but a tenderloin is basically a fraternal twin to a schnitzel.

I have a bit of time so will give you my take on my Hawkeyes and would appreciate if someone could return the favor on the Hoosiers.

Overall: this is a very good Iowa team. We still want to run the ball and have won 18 or the last 20 when we run for over 100 yds. The defense is our strong suit this year with the D-Line being one of the best ever at Iowa and going 9 deep. We handed Wisky a win with 3 special teams turnovers, one of which gave them the ball on our 10.

Offense: This is a more balanced run/pass team than many you have seen in the past, due to two reasons. First, QB Stanley can be really good, at times. He can also be just a bit 'off' with accuracy on some of the easy throws. Second, 2nd year OC, Brian Ferentz, is implementing many 'scratch where it itches' options patterned off of Belichek and the Pats. He worked for several years post college and a shot at the NFL.

RB's: Three guys play and all are competent B1G RB's. No one has really stood out all year, but we did see a couple of really nice tosses to one of them at the Minny game. They will give a workmanlike performance and Iowa will stay with the running game even if it not working early.

OL: Pretty good. Not a great Iowa line, but more than OK. Better at pass pro than run blocking, it would seem, but some of that is due to folks stacking the box and us throwing over it.

TE's: The best ones you will see all year. Both Fant and Hockenson will play Sundays. Fant is a freak with WR speed in a 6'5" 240lb body. Hock is a great blocker and catches everything thrown his way.

WR's: Young and improving. Still not a force, but acceptable and improving each week.

Defense: Lots of injuries. 3 LB's out. 2 starting CB's out last week, but think we get one of them back for IU. Julius Brents frm Indy looked great last week, you will see him. Safeties are a strength with 3 guys who are all very good.

D-Line: Play 9 guys deep. Dends have 11 sacks of the teams 18. When Iowa gets 30 sacks in a year we are going to be pretty good. On track for close to 40, at the current rate, with 5 againsy Minny.

LB's: Not sure how they will patch this group together for you guys, but we need a guy or two to get healthy. We will get a big hitter back at MLB for the 2nd half, after a late targeting suspension near the end of the Minny game.

All ready talked about DB's.

Special Teams: Strong field goal kicker. On KO's we will drop it down at about the 5 and dare you to run it out. Minny fair caught all of them. We will take KO's out and have a deep threat in one of the young WR's. Competent on Punt returns and ditto on punts. We will always have a gimmick play up our sleeves on ST. See the Minny fake field goal.

To beat us you have have patience and dink and dunk down the field and do it several times. IMO, this game could become a shoot out, as I think Iowa could score a lot and with our damaged LB corps IU may score a lot.

That's all folks!

Gotta say...this is why I love Iowa week. If all fans were like Iowa fans, the B10 would be a very fun place to play every week. Hands down the most and best conversation of the season. Kudos to all, both sides, for good, informative conversation. What a nice change...GO IU!

Gotta say...this is why I love Iowa week. If all fans were like Iowa fans, the B10 would be a very fun place to play every week. Hands down the most and best conversation of the season. Kudos to all, both sides, for good, informative conversation. What a nice change...GO IU!
We have a mutual respect. You get the best of us.

Reactions: CC Mac
Dude, Iowa City is pretty great. Probably the only reason we can recruit legit 3* guys who got rejected by the large profile programs. Predict a win, go for it, but don't shit on Iowa City. Come here for the next IU road game against Iowa. We are kind. We like to party. We get down. I've heard great things about Bloomington as well, and definitely want to visit for a hoops game before I die.
Iowa City picked as one of top 25 top college towns in country. Bloomington picked #2. On other hand, best college town in America, Oxford, OH, not in listing. On MSN this a.m.

We have a mutual respect. You get the best of us.
I have a particular fondness for Iowa and root for the Hawkeyes any time they aren't playing IU. A.J. Edds is a former student of mine and his dad was my boss for several years. I was part of his high school basketball coaching staff (he never played directly for me because he was a varsity player from day 1 of his freshman year). Tremendous athlete and better person.

Those of us who are Colts fans have a soft spot obviously for Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders. Iowa fans have always been among the most gracious visitors at Memorial Stadium, even on the rare occasions when we have beaten the Hawkeyes. The Iowa program has a strong reputation for doing things the right way and Hoosier fans admire that. When we talk about building a winning program and looking for a model to emulate it is almost always Iowa (along with Northwestern) that is discussed as the program we most aspire to be.

What would YOU say then if they do hit 7 or 8 this year? (i.e. Iowa = 5, MN = 6, MD = 7 & PU = 8?) Would you & others say Allen is the right guy, this was indeed a new bar and they should stay the course? (Note: not sure if you are down on Allen or not, not saying you are, but you did say this is 6-win team, so curious how you would react then if they hit "the next milestone" this season?
I don't know about him but I won't say anything if we win 8 games. I can't talk and do cartwheels at the same time! :D

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
As someone who was beating the Penix drum...if Peyton continues to throw the ball downfield to the receivers like he did last week, then I hope he is our quarterback for the rest of the season. He was borderline spectacular for most of that game.

I kept thinking, if we can do this against Ohio State, where was this against Michigan State?!?

OSU was usually playing really tight man coverage, with the idea that their pass rush would get to Ramsey before our WR would get past their DBs. If you can buy any sort of time, WRs are going to be open deep. MSU plays more zone coverage which is going to limit the deep stuff, but leave the short passes open.

Iowa at Indiana will be a typical smashmouth, chess match that the Hawkeyes and Hoosiers have seen, since the 1980s, when QB Chuck Long was playing for Hayden Fry.

Both coaches bring something to the table. Neither program is a Top 25 program yet. Iowa has the best shot.

However, these are the games that have dogged the Hawkeyes. The Hoosiers have won against Iowa. They have missed against them, as well.

Iowa has three LBs that all have starting experience. The new MLB started at WLB to kickoff season, then was replaced, due to injury and the next man in performing.

MLB is missing the starter (injured at Minnesota) and his backup is out for a half for targeting in final series of game. Also, Iowa lost projected senior WLB starter in spring. Knee injury for that player.

Iowa may lean on a true freshman next?

Julius Brents out of Indiana and Riley Moss, who originally was signed as a grey shirt are two true CBs who made first starts at Minnesota. 3 interceptions between the two of them. Brents was Iowa's #3 CB going into season, after star of 2016 Michigan transferred out. This will be an interesting area to watch.

The strength of Iowa's defense is with D-Line, as they go 8-9 deep like Ohio State. In Iowa's 54-24 win over Ohio State, Iowa's DL out performed the Buckeyes defensive line. Iowa has 3 very solid DEs and the starting two DTs were DEs prior to moving inside.

This is always a key to any B1G game. How well does your team play in the trenches.?Iowa's OL ranks #3 in the Big Ten, behind Wisconsin and Ohio State. Minnesota ranked #4.

This should be a highly competitive game in Bloomington. Iowa is playing back to back Homecoming games on road, ahead of own HC game against Maryland at Kinnick. We have seen one sided games on occasion in this IU-Iowa series, but not likely expected on Saturday.

A shootout between both teams or a close one on lower scoring side (twenties) is most likely.

Iowa junior QB Nate Stanley needs to play well for the Hawkeyes. He can dominate and he can make an occasional bonehead, like first turnover against Gophers.

Iowa's running game didn't perform well at Minnesota.

Iowa's passing game got the WRs going and Iowa's two TEs are as good as any set in the Big Ten, if not in the nation, as they showed last year against Ohio State. However, QB Stanley is the key in passing game.

The 2015 game was good one, for the Hawkeyes. This one should be competitive, as well. Iowa's Stanley will not use legs much. However, he may need to improve footwork in Bloomington?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT