ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting question

Haha he’s a solid friend. And I know of his dads background with the packers. Nothing but respect. I was actually with some old teammates this week who brought up murph. Haven’t been able to log on due to work. But respect the post and the sarcasm.
again, no sarcasm here. trying to cut down on the bitter with 2 young children on the homestead. of course, i'm still married so sarcasm will still rear it's ugly head from time to time.
like your opinion on something. you talked a few times about our linebackers frequently being out of position or poorly reacting to the snap of the ball. that linebackers coach has been promoted to coordinator as you know. what do you make of that?

Reactions: Superstar84b
again, no sarcasm here. trying to cut down on the bitter with 2 young children on the homestead. of course, i'm still married so sarcasm will still rear it's ugly head from time to time.
like your opinion on something. you talked a few times about our linebackers frequently being out of position or poorly reacting to the snap of the ball. that linebackers coach has been promoted to coordinator as you know. what do you make of that?
He may be a great coach. If you want my honest take (which may disappoint you), it’s that sometimes coaches can be knowledgeable and reach some players, but not everyone buy in. That would actually disconfirm my view of Inge being a great coach. You can’t buy into a player hear. One of the most knowledgeable teachers and coaches I had at IU was Teagarden. When Knorr came around the same time, he was the first coach to give us a diagram of what offenses liked to do. But not everyone bought in, and the defense was still bad. This year the safeties didn’t play that well, and Teagarden was the guy. Part of the difficulty for us as fans is not knowing how much is on the players or how much is on the coaches. I have to admit, I might be giving Inge too much praise because Scales, Oliver, Simmons, and Covington were also personally driven guys. It just seemed odd to have such a drop off in one season even with Willis (having played a lot) and Jones (being a fourth year guy) in the line up. My point is that maybe the man who got promoted is a great coach, and this batch of older players simply weren’t as strong as past guys mentally. I’m fully confident in the young guys like Miller, McFadden and Allen jr (even if Allen plays at DE). They seemed to play with more passion, so I could be wrong here. Maybe the knew DC is a great coach and the upperclassman simply didn’t show up.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
He may be a great coach. If you want my honest take (which may disappoint you), it’s that sometimes coaches can be knowledgeable and reach some players, but not everyone buy in. That would actually disconfirm my view of Inge being a great coach. You can’t buy into a player hear. One of the most knowledgeable teachers and coaches I had at IU was Teagarden. When Knorr came around the same time, he was the first coach to give us a diagram of what offenses liked to do. But not everyone bought in, and the defense was still bad. This year the safeties didn’t play that well, and Teagarden was the guy. Part of the difficulty for us as fans is not knowing how much is on the players or how much is on the coaches. I have to admit, I might be giving Inge too much praise because Scales, Oliver, Simmons, and Covington were also personally driven guys. It just seemed odd to have such a drop off in one season even with Willis (having played a lot) and Jones (being a fourth year guy) in the line up. My point is that maybe the man who got promoted is a great coach, and this batch of older players simply weren’t as strong as past guys mentally. I’m fully confident in the young guys like Miller, McFadden and Allen jr (even if Allen plays at DE). They seemed to play with more passion, so I could be wrong here. Maybe the knew DC is a great coach and the upperclassman simply didn’t show up.
"When Knorr came around the same time, he was the first coach to give us a diagram of what offenses liked to do."

That's shocking. And explains why our Defense was so bad under Mallory.

Reactions: ESalum86
"When Knorr came around the same time, he was the first coach to give us a diagram of what offenses liked to do."

That's shocking. And explains why our Defense was so bad under Mallory.

While Knorr probably wasn't/isn't an elite level DC, he was certainly competent, but just not strong enough to orchestrate a quick turnaround and undo damage by Mallory. I'm guessing that IU goes bowling in 2012 and 2013 had Knorr been hired instead of Mallory. And even though he was DC in 2015, if he wasn't still trying to undo damage by Mallory, 9+ wins would have been possible that year.

Reactions: td75 and DANC
what does it look like to you when players "don't buy in"? do they not try as hard? do they not study the game plan? do they just decide to do their own thing once the game starts? because all those things should/would lead to getting benched, no? when i coached high school basketball for a couple decades there was no such phrase as "buying in". didn't matter anyway because i wasn't selling, i was telling. this is how we are going to do it and this is how you are going to do it or you aren't going to play.

Reactions: DANC
what does it look like to you when players "don't buy in"? do they not try as hard? do they not study the game plan? do they just decide to do their own thing once the game starts? because all those things should/would lead to getting benched, no? when i coached high school basketball for a couple decades there was no such phrase as "buying in". didn't matter anyway because i wasn't selling, i was telling. this is how we are going to do it and this is how you are going to do it or you aren't going to play.

With football, there is a lot less coach-player one on one time than there is in basketball to establish a motivational connection. Plus due to sheer complexity of college football compared to HS basketball, guys that aren't fully up to speed on the playbook and the schematic reads are a huge liability that effort can't compensate for

While Knorr probably wasn't/isn't an elite level DC, he was certainly competent, but just not strong enough to orchestrate a quick turnaround and undo damage by Mallory. I'm guessing that IU goes bowling in 2012 and 2013 had Knorr been hired instead of Mallory. And even though he was DC in 2015, if he wasn't still trying to undo damage by Mallory, 9+ wins would have been possible that year.
I truly think that whole stretch of Indiana football history will go down as a HUGE missed opportunity. I agree with your assessment regarding Knorr. He was several notches above Mallory and I think that was fairly obvious.

Those teams, '12, '13, and '14, were absolutely bowl teams, absolutely. That '12 team where Roberson got injured up in UMASS seemed to have stalled the Wilson era. I think it hurt his chances at IU simply because that team probably was a solid bowl team with Tre pulling the trigger.

I'll never forget that season because I was doing some contract work for a lawyer in my hometown and he flew up to the UMASS game on a VERY influential IU alum's private plane. That following Monday morning I arrived at his office and he flatly told me we would've been pretty damn good if Tre hadn't gotten injured two days before. He was disgusted to say the least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT