ADVERTISEMENT

Infrastructure Bill passes with bipartisan votes

As I related above - that racism played a role in our highway/roads/infrastructure is indisputable. It's a fact. I am not convinced, again, that restructuring is where our dollars are best spent.
As to point 1, I am glad we are in agreement. Strangely I suspect CO agrees but wants to add nuance for some reason.

As to 2, I don't know what the solutions are. In reading about these neighborhoods, like in Indy, we had communities of working poor that were largely Black with some White (largely immigrant) with all kinds of businesses. There is a really long story linked below about the neighborhood replaced by the combo of I65 and IUPUI. It had all sorts of businesses and is at least claimed to have had a certain community engagement and pride. But it was poor and mostly Black.

Because it was mostly Black, it was redlined. No one could get loans to buy in there, so home prices were much less than expected. This impacted the people when they sold to build the interstate. Their neighborhood was destroyed, their sense of community, their places of work. Now the Whites could move out to an Avon, the Blacks were not allowed to. We became more segregated. Sure, that was because of horrible redlining laws, but the two go together. The Blacks that stayed saw their jobs gone with the businesses, and their homes worth even less because an interstate was 50 feet away.

Someone has already posted it, it is mentioned in the article below, that someone thought I65 should be below ground so that the city stayed more intact. An interesting idea.

I don't have a solution, I really don't know if anyone does. But at the moment I just think it is a start to realize that at least some of the ills that have befallen the urban Black community stem from decisions to disrupt their neighborhoods and wall Blacks out of "White" neighborhoods 50 years ago. They lost a lot of homeownership and home equity. They lost jobs. I don't know how to make up for it today, but why some people cannot even admit this problem happened is surprising.

People are stupid. The criticism of interstate placements through urban areas is very valid.

I can only speak for Indy, as I know it well..... but it's expressway design decimated many neighborhoods.

The interstate system was a great achievement, but the urban planning as part of it was a total ****ING disaster
Could be it was a disaster for those inner city communities but I don't think it was because the citizens in the area were black but rather they were the cheapest and most direct routes to place the roadway. I can't imagine any new highway system being planed successfully through a city today. There is so much inertia that is now built into the system that hardly anything can get done and it does not bode well for good long range planning.

As to point 1, I am glad we are in agreement. Strangely I suspect CO agrees but wants to add nuance for some reason.

As to 2, I don't know what the solutions are. In reading about these neighborhoods, like in Indy, we had communities of working poor that were largely Black with some White (largely immigrant) with all kinds of businesses. There is a really long story linked below about the neighborhood replaced by the combo of I65 and IUPUI. It had all sorts of businesses and is at least claimed to have had a certain community engagement and pride. But it was poor and mostly Black.

Because it was mostly Black, it was redlined. No one could get loans to buy in there, so home prices were much less than expected. This impacted the people when they sold to build the interstate. Their neighborhood was destroyed, their sense of community, their places of work. Now the Whites could move out to an Avon, the Blacks were not allowed to. We became more segregated. Sure, that was because of horrible redlining laws, but the two go together. The Blacks that stayed saw their jobs gone with the businesses, and their homes worth even less because an interstate was 50 feet away.

Someone has already posted it, it is mentioned in the article below, that someone thought I65 should be below ground so that the city stayed more intact. An interesting idea.

I don't have a solution, I really don't know if anyone does. But at the moment I just think it is a start to realize that at least some of the ills that have befallen the urban Black community stem from decisions to disrupt their neighborhoods and wall Blacks out of "White" neighborhoods 50 years ago. They lost a lot of homeownership and home equity. They lost jobs. I don't know how to make up for it today, but why some people cannot even admit this problem happened is surprising.

A million years ago I got an MPA and my emphasis was urban planning. I'd sell the thing today for $20 if I could, but the research on racism and infrastructure is deep and undisputed. I suspect it really just will have to be a case by case analysis as to what will work and what won't in specific locales. I do believe some communities are just too far gone and monies would be better allocated elsewhere. And again Marv "reconnecting" is stigmatized, and will have to be addressed as it relates to crime. I personally experienced it. I lived for years off Delmar. My little neighborhood was Delmar to the North and Washington U to the south. It was a great neighborhood. Idyllic really. Then Metrolink was installed at the back of the neighborhood at the corner of Wash U. Black kids immediately started cutting through our neighborhood to get to the train. Our cars and garages were broken into so often thereafter that the cops told us to just take everything out of both and leave the doors open. Reconnecting communities, which is to naturally say, connecting a wealthier community with a poorer, will face significant backlash unless and until crime is addressed.

I read an article in Urban Times (Indy downtown monthly "news" magazine) about a proposal to somehow run the interstates underground.
I remember thinking, WTF?
I'll see if I can link the article.

Lots of cities have recessed freeways, including what Carmel did to Keystone, SR 431. They didn't like the state's plan because it was passing through residential areas (though not tearing any up), and they didn't want the interchanges and subsequent regrading of the roads to create 'sight pollution'. They also wanted to make them bike friendly.

So Carmel bought Keystone Avenue from the state, and at all the interchanges the freeway flows underneath the crossing street. Of course that was also a fight over how the interchanges would be controlled, and Carmel wanted roundabouts.

Columbus, OH, and Chicago have 'underground' freeways. Even though I like seeing into cities as I drive into or through them, the sinking of freeways make sense.

Reactions: larsIU
Could be it was a disaster for those inner city communities but I don't think it was because the citizens in the area were black but rather they were the cheapest and most direct routes to place the roadway. I can't imagine any new highway system being planed successfully through a city today. There is so much inertia that is now built into the system that hardly anything can get done and it does not bode well for good long range planning.
I'm sure no one (or few people) said, "Hey, let's destroy those Black neighborhoods by building interstates through them." I am almost certain, though, that the PTB said, "Hey, let's build the interstate right there...only Black people live there, after all." There is a slight difference...but not much.

I know and understand the deleterious impact of infrastructure on predominantly black neighborhoods. I also understand how they've contributed to them becoming blighted. What I'm not certain of is spending a ton of money to attempt to re-route those areas are going to have much benefit today. Perhaps some, where environmental issues are at-hand, but many are long past saving and only a fantastical dreamer could ever believe fixing a highway will lead to gentrification. I suspect there are better avenues for monies. I hope this isn't a major part of the bill - as opposed to modernizing and repairing.

Crime and schools are always the issues. The rest is icing. If people don't have alternative places to go crime and schools are the way to best improve their lives. Most people, many people, have alternatives. My own city had 900,000. It now has 300,000. We have 2.5 million in our region/suburbs. People found alternatives. And most won't go back, irrespective of re-routing a highway.
Gentrification is happening, at least in Indy. That said, it doesn't make sense to reconfigure the freeway at this point.

I think the discussion for an underground stretch of roads was primarily viewed as an option if they turned West Street into a connector freeway. They're hoping the redoing of the 'crossover' will be enough to ease the congestion. It will certainly help.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I'm sure no one (or few people) said, "Hey, let's destroy those Black neighborhoods by building interstates through them." I am almost certain, though, that the PTB said, "Hey, let's build the interstate right there...only Black people live there, after all." There is a slight difference...but not much.
I imagine the ground was cheaper to condemn and acquire as the projects are on budgets.

A million years ago I got an MPA and my emphasis was urban planning. I'd sell the thing today for $20 if I could, but the research on racism and infrastructure is deep and undisputed. I suspect it really just will have to be a case by case analysis as to what will work and what won't in specific locales. I do believe some communities are just too far gone and monies would be better allocated elsewhere. And again Marv "reconnecting" is stigmatized, and will have to be addressed as it relates to crime. I personally experienced it. I lived for years off Delmar. My little neighborhood was Delmar to the North and Washington U to the south. It was a great neighborhood. Idyllic really. Then Metrolink was installed at the back of the neighborhood at the corner of Wash U. Black kids immediately started cutting through our neighborhood to get to the train. Our cars and garages were broken into so often thereafter that the cops told us to just take everything out of both and leave the doors open. Reconnecting communities, which is to naturally say, connecting a wealthier community with a poorer, will face significant backlash unless and until crime is addressed.

I am not arguing for or against reconnecting, haven't looked into it that deeply at all. But overall I will say a law-abiding inner-city Black has as much right to go to a suburban shopping center as a law-abiding White suburbanite. So our system has to allow for that. How to deal with crime issues is well beyond my paygrade.

Overall I suspect we need to have more citizenship involvement and pride in our neighborhoods. How we get there I don't know. But one can look at a host of issues (low homeownership and COVID deaths being two) and see that they are worse in areas that were redlined 60 years ago. Our mistakes then still haunt us. One of those mistakes led to the elimination of mixed-race neighborhoods like are mentioned in many of the stories about highway placement.

An article I linked above said only a few cities actually documented racist reasons (Baltimore, Miami, St Paul, and Little Rock were mentioned as leaving a record).

Which leads to much of our debate. If someone commits an action they do not know to be racist but has a very disparate impact on races, is it racist? To illustrate my point, there were people who legitimately felt that segregation was better for Blacks than integration. Did their belief in that mean they were not racist for wanting Whites Only water fountains? I think it would still be racist, but I suspect more than a few here would say no.

I am not arguing for or against reconnecting, haven't looked into it that deeply at all. But overall I will say a law-abiding inner-city Black has as much right to go to a suburban shopping center as a law-abiding White suburbanite. So our system has to allow for that. How to deal with crime issues is well beyond my paygrade.

Overall I suspect we need to have more citizenship involvement and pride in our neighborhoods. How we get there I don't know. But one can look at a host of issues (low homeownership and COVID deaths being two) and see that they are worse in areas that were redlined 60 years ago. Our mistakes then still haunt us. One of those mistakes led to the elimination of mixed-race neighborhoods like are mentioned in many of the stories about highway placement.
Agreed on all fronts re rights. That said this is a national bill that will impact local lives and invoke local politics. Neighborhoods have been disconnected for decades largely because certain taxpaying residents want it that way. Within a month of my neighborhood being connected it became less desirable. Why? Because large groups of black kids were wandering through it. Is that racism? When crime spiked and there is a correlation? Or is it just reality.

Like all things there is a secondary issue and that is neighborhoods were and are separated for a reason. In part borne of racism and in part borne of reality. The left refuses to acknowledge the latter. Crime north of Delmar is out of control. Not many want to reconnect with it. Being told to leave your doors unlocked on your cars and garage because the break-ins are inevitable isn't appealing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
My god man, do you never see racism. What the heck dude, this one is obvious. There were busses running taking poor people to the beach. The same guy that did this complained that the playgrounds he built were being used by "that scum floating up from Puerto Rico."

No chance of anyone saying that being racist.

Here is an article by a guy who thought the story was more complex. He went out and measured the bridges as well as the bridges along the two motorways it was based on. Yep, the bridges were shorter.

Blacks rely on mass transit more than Whites. Black car ownership is less than White. You certainly are smart enough to know that, why do you wilfully choose to ignore those sort of facts.

Is "scum floating up from Puerto Rico" racist? Have we found the first time you have seen or heard something racist with that quote?
I’ve been with black inner city kids during several years of AAU BB. I saw racism and called it out. I also saw many instances of white folks showing kindness to these young men

I did my best to show the kids that all old white men aren’t racist.

My son and I both got educations.

The democrat race card play 24/7 grows old. Democrats calling black men and women white nationalists that don’t agree with them is outrageous. We never seem to see mainstream democrats call it out.

Reactions: DANC
You should keep making those dumb jokes you want to make about him because they are much more revealing about how sad and pathetic you are than anything about him.

Thankfully, Pete's adopted baby is off a ventilator and out of the hospital. That's an awful thing for any parent to go through.
Yes that’s awful regarding his child. Doesn’t excuse taking all that family leave.

An article I linked above said only a few cities actually documented racist reasons (Baltimore, Miami, St Paul, and Little Rock were mentioned as leaving a record).

Which leads to much of our debate. If someone commits an action they do not know to be racist but has a very disparate impact on races, is it racist? To illustrate my point, there were people who legitimately felt that segregation was better for Blacks than integration. Did their belief in that mean they were not racist for wanting Whites Only water fountains? I think it would still be racist, but I suspect more than a few here would say no.
An interesting side note:
From what I understand, when IPS built what was going to be Thomas Jefferson High School (petitioned to be changed to Crispus Attucks High School) on the northwest side of Indy to lessen crowding and segregate the black students due to white parents not wanting their schools to be integrated, the goal was to provide an SBE education for the AA students all across Indy.
Not only were all the students black, but so was the faculty, including the principal, who recruited professors from the world of HBCU, resulting in a teaching staff that had more advanced degrees than any other school in the city, and an educational setting that was anything but equal. Instead, it was superior in most ways.

An interesting side note:
From what I understand, when IPS built what was going to be Thomas Jefferson High School (petitioned to be changed to Crispus Attucks High School) on the northwest side of Indy to lessen crowding and segregate the black students due to white parents not wanting their schools to be integrated, the goal was to provide an SBE education for the AA students all across Indy.
Not only were all the students black, but so was the faculty, including the principal, who recruited professors from the world of HBCU, resulting in a teaching staff that had more advanced degrees than any other school in the city, and an educational setting that was anything but equal. Instead, it was superior in most ways.
I would rather see more money going to things like that - bring in top notch teachers who are paid at a premium than re-routing roads. And make the facilities great. Where kids want to hang out up there.

Lots of cities have recessed freeways, including what Carmel did to Keystone, SR 431. They didn't like the state's plan because it was passing through residential areas (though not tearing any up), and they didn't want the interchanges and subsequent regrading of the roads to create 'sight pollution'. They also wanted to make them bike friendly.

So Carmel bought Keystone Avenue from the state, and at all the interchanges the freeway flows underneath the crossing street. Of course that was also a fight over how the interchanges would be controlled, and Carmel wanted roundabouts.

Columbus, OH, and Chicago have 'underground' freeways. Even though I like seeing into cities as I drive into or through them, the sinking of freeways make sense.

Fishers is in the process of doing the same thing to SR-37 between 126th and 146th street. stinks now but will make traffic flow so much better when finished.

Reactions: Bloom. and larsIU
Gentrification is happening, at least in Indy. That said, it doesn't make sense to reconfigure the freeway at this point.

I think the discussion for an underground stretch of roads was primarily viewed as an option if they turned West Street into a connector freeway. They're hoping the redoing of the 'crossover' will be enough to ease the congestion. It will certainly help.
Is there a link to what exactly they're changing with it? i noticed it's been closed for a while but curious what the new design is going to look like compared to the old.

The average person who's screaming and yelling is absolutely pissed because they want to be absolutely pissed and are looking for something to be absolutely pissed about.

That's a major distinction from the average person, who is likely more upset that Beverly Hills Ninja and Pineapple Express are leaving Netflix.
Are they seriously taking Beverly Hills Ninja off Netflix? Well I WAS going to sign up.

Reactions: UncleMark
COH there are countless roads and barricades throughout cities like Saint Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, that divide communities. I have no doubt that there was intent in the creation of same. What I have doubt is that "reconnecting" these neighborhoods will make any difference. What I further doubt is that Pete or anyone else in his 8 months in office, backing out his time sitting at home, conducted studies to evidence exactly how this is going to be a boon instead of a boondoggle. It's more virtue-signaling. IMO that money would be better spent on cops and schools and other community enhancements.
I dunno. The only situations I have pretty good first hand knowledge about are the Chicago south side and the Gary/ Hammond are in Indiana. In both cases the interstates were built through black areas but in both cases there was no feasible alternative routes and still have the road serve a useful purpose. In Gary, the interstate divided white Glen Park with from mostly Black central Gary, but the route followed mostly old rail lines and marshy open areas. Any other route would have taken more housing. Chicago south side and the Dan Ryan turned out to be a mistake in terms of new housing, but I don’t think that was deliberate. They just didn’t know better.

Fishers is in the process of doing the same thing to SR-37 between 126th and 146th street. stinks now but will make traffic flow so much better when finished.

Yes, it will be nice when it gets done. Then they can fix the ramp going from 465 East to 69 North. Also looking forward to making Allisonville and Hazel Del interchanges or RABs.

Is there a link to what exactly they're changing with it? i noticed it's been closed for a while but curious what the new design is going to look like compared to the old.

Check out the Virtual Project Office.

Basically, when you go through Indy on 65 or 70, you have to crossover the other traffic to stay on the same freeway, which I assume is what most people do. So if you're entering via I-65, you hit the merged lanes on the right and leave on the left. If you enter it via I-70, you enter on the left and leave on the right.

It's a big issue with semi-trucks.

They're crossing the ramps at the North split, so if you want just stay on your interstate, you don't have to change lanes at all.

Speaking of examples from St. Paul.... Interstate 35 breaks off into a west and east (west to Minneapolis, East to St. Paul).

35 W twists and turns away from Roseville and then once south cuts straight through.

On the St Paul side it goes straight through until south of the city where it twists on the side of Summit/Grand (which was the first ring wealthy area).

The interesting thing was until the 90's there was a spaghetti junction where if I remember correctly you had to exit into the city to get back on the highway (that's not the case today).

Secondly it's a gorgeous stretch and the speed limit is only 45 mph through the rich area.

For the longest time I just assumed it was just some quirky sections.

Speaking of examples from St. Paul.... Interstate 35 breaks off into a west and east (west to Minneapolis, East to St. Paul).

35 W twists and turns away from Roseville and then once south cuts straight through.

On the St Paul side it goes straight through until south of the city where it twists on the side of Summit/Grand (which was the first ring wealthy area).

The interesting thing was until the 90's there was a spaghetti junction where if I remember correctly you had to exit into the city to get back on the highway (that's not the case today).

Secondly it's a gorgeous stretch and the speed limit is only 45 mph through the rich area.

And now you are convinced it was some deep seeded plan of racism?

And now you are convinced it was some deep seeded plan of racism?

It's pretty obvious with the numerous examples that a pattern definitely formed.

Marvin pretty much spelled it out, multiple times, in great detail in this thread if you missed it.

Go west on 35 east then take 35 west north for a mile, we're off the first exit. It's such a jacked up deal. I've got customers in Burnsville and Lakeville, so I used to go up there a few times/year.

Go west on 35 east then take 35 west north for a mile, we're off the first exit. It's such a jacked up deal. I've got customers in Burnsville and Lakeville, so I used to go up there a few times/year.
Did you mean west on 494 or 62 to 35W?

Yeah it's pretty quirky. The belt way is a rectangle that's for the most part only 4 lanes each way.

Reminds me of the joke in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when they wanted to tear down Toon Town to put the highway in....the developer promised 'no more traffic jams!!'.

Now of course the story of Who Framed Roger Rabbit has a different pov these days which I'm sure was the hidden message.

Similar to the Munsters was basically an analogy about a minority family moving into a white, suburban neighborhood. They had to use monsters because they couldn't just use a black family.

My god man, do you never see racism. What the heck dude, this one is obvious. There were busses running taking poor people to the beach. The same guy that did this complained that the playgrounds he built were being used by "that scum floating up from Puerto Rico."

No chance of anyone saying that being racist.

Here is an article by a guy who thought the story was more complex. He went out and measured the bridges as well as the bridges along the two motorways it was based on. Yep, the bridges were shorter.

Blacks rely on mass transit more than Whites. Black car ownership is less than White. You certainly are smart enough to know that, why do you wilfully choose to ignore those sort of facts.

Is "scum floating up from Puerto Rico" racist? Have we found the first time you have seen or heard something racist with that quote?
So Kamala talking about trees being planted are racist today. Is there anything you folks can’t find racism in?

So Kamala talking about trees being planted are racist today. Is there anything you folks can’t find racism in?

How much does the right misappropriate communist/socialist for emotional effect?

And sometimes racist things simply need to be pointed out in a 'dude, that's kindof racist' way.

Other more dangerous times is when purposely racist behavior is deflected by complaining that it's being called out.

Like screaming 'cancel culture' when Gaetz is investigated for banging teenage girls or when Aaron Rodgers is busted lying so he tries to divert it by saying 'the woke mob' is after him.

So, yeah.

Reactions: bigmac76
How much does the right misappropriate communist/socialist for emotional effect?

And sometimes racist things simply need to be pointed out in a 'dude, that's kindof racist' way.

Other more dangerous times is when purposely racist behavior is deflected by complaining that it's being called out.

Like screaming 'cancel culture' when Gaetz is investigated for banging teenage girls or when Aaron Rodgers is busted lying so he tries to divert it by saying 'the woke mob' is after him.

So, yeah.
I see my mistake, The entire Interstate highway system was designed as racism so black people couldn't get to the beach. Holy crap what world do you idiots actually try and live in?

I see my mistake, The entire Interstate highway system was designed as racism so black people couldn't get to the beach. Holy crap what world do you idiots actually try and live in?
I'm not sure casting out the phrase idiot is the best choice of words if you think differently here.

What would you call it, an unfortunate series of coincidences in most cities that the highway ran through all having similar effects (in a time when segregation was accepted legally).

Okay sure.

I'm not sure casting out the phrase idiot is the best choice of words if you think differently here.

What would you call it, an unfortunate series of coincidences in most cities that the highway ran through all having similar effects (in a time when segregation was accepted legally).

Okay sure.
So that was the whole design factor? Nothing to do with where the roads were etc. I am sure the whole highway design was thought out to help keep minorities down. Whatever, here is an idea nuke the country and start over. I am just tired of the whole narrative that everything was designed to be racist. Watch the damn game and deal with your guilt

Either you cannot read or you are incapable of following serious discourse.

I hit the highlights and caught enough. Tired of people like you finding every single thing being racist. Conspiracy theories. Go on with your outrage and waste your time

Reactions: DANC
Not only that, but the interstates were an asap project. "Highest and best use" is an economic, not moral standard. As mentioned, minority neighborhoods had less bargaining power to resist.
Exactly. Screwing over the poor doesn't equal "racist".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT