ADVERTISEMENT

Infrastructure Bill passes with bipartisan votes

You folks will go to any extreme to declare racist. SMH.

Do you also like other democrats believe the new Lieutenant Governor of VA is a white nationalist?
My god man, do you never see racism. What the heck dude, this one is obvious. There were busses running taking poor people to the beach. The same guy that did this complained that the playgrounds he built were being used by "that scum floating up from Puerto Rico."

No chance of anyone saying that being racist.

Here is an article by a guy who thought the story was more complex. He went out and measured the bridges as well as the bridges along the two motorways it was based on. Yep, the bridges were shorter.

Blacks rely on mass transit more than Whites. Black car ownership is less than White. You certainly are smart enough to know that, why do you wilfully choose to ignore those sort of facts.

Is "scum floating up from Puerto Rico" racist? Have we found the first time you have seen or heard something racist with that quote?

that Beverly Hills Ninja and Pineapple Express are leaving Netflix

the-lion-king-simba.gif

My god man, do you never see racism. What the heck dude, this one is obvious. There were busses running taking poor people to the beach. The same guy that did this complained that the playgrounds he built were being used by "that scum floating up from Puerto Rico."

Here is an article by a guy who thought the story was more complex. He went out and measured the bridges as well as the bridges along the two motorways it was based on. Yep, the bridges were shorter.

Blacks rely on mass transit more than Whites. Black car ownership is less than White. You certainly are smart enough to know that, why do you wilfully choose to ignore those sort of facts.

Is "scum floating up from Puerto Rico" racist? Have we found the first time you have seen or heard something racist with that quote?
Would a white person saying “that scum from Italy” be racist? The problem with a term like racism is that it is thrown around with no thought about what it means. Puerto Ricans like AOC are as European as I am. It is certainly discriminatory and bigoted to think of Spanish descendants as scum, but it isn’t racism.

C'mon Marv...those separate water fountains were meant to make the lines shorter.

I know and understand the deleterious impact of infrastructure on predominantly black neighborhoods. I also understand how they've contributed to them becoming blighted. What I'm not certain of is spending a ton of money to attempt to re-route those areas are going to have much benefit today. Perhaps some, where environmental issues are at-hand, but many are long past saving and only a fantastical dreamer could ever believe fixing a highway will lead to gentrification. I suspect there are better avenues for monies. I hope this isn't a major part of the bill - as opposed to modernizing and repairing.

Crime and schools are always the issues. The rest is icing. If people don't have alternative places to go crime and schools are the way to best improve their lives. Most people, many people, have alternatives. My own city had 900,000. It now has 300,000. We have 2.5 million in our region/suburbs. People found alternatives. And most won't go back, irrespective of re-routing a highway.

Last edited:
I know and understand the deleterious impact of infrastructure on predominantly black neighborhoods. I also understand how they've contributed to them becoming blighted. What I'm not certain of is spending a ton of money to attempt to re-route those areas are going to have much benefit today. Perhaps some, where environmental issues are at-hand, but many are long past saving and only a fantastical dreamer could ever believe fixing a highway will lead to gentrification. I suspect there are better avenues for monies. I hope this isn't a major part of the bill - as opposed to modernizing and repairing.

Crime and schools are always the issues. The rest is icing. If people don't have alternative places to go crime and schools are the way to best improve their lives. Most people, many people, have alternatives. My own city had 900,000. It now has 300,000. We have 2.5 million in our region/suburbs. People found alternatives. And most won't go back, irrespective of re-routing a highway.
Many public works projects have good and bad aspects. Just cuz surface transportation disrupts the immediate area doesn’t mean it’s an overall bad thing.

All this “highways are disruptive and divide “talk goes into the “no shit” file. And it isn’t racist eather. I70 is being rebuilt and redesigned through the minority neighborhoods in Denver to make it less impactful. Yet people bitched about that. I think Boots talking about racist highways is a dodge because he doesn’t have the chops to tackle the real issues involving transportation.

I was in Savannah last week, the third busiest US port. Their back-log is minimal yet California ports are a mess. You’d think Boots would tour Savannah to see what works. But nooo. He’s never been there.

Many public works projects have good and bad aspects. Just cuz surface transportation disrupts the immediate area doesn’t mean it’s an overall bad thing.

All this “highways are disruptive and divide “talk goes into the “no shit” file. And it isn’t racist eather. I70 is being rebuilt and redesigned through the minority neighborhoods in Denver to make it less impactful. Yet people bitched about that. I think Boots talking about racist highways is a dodge because he doesn’t have the chops to tackle the real issues involving transportation.

I was in Savannah last week, the third busiest US port. Their back-log is minimal yet California ports are a mess. You’d think Boots would tour Savannah to see what works. But nooo. He’s never been there.
He's terrible. Virtue signaling is what he's good at.

Well if anyone paid any attention politically they'd realize that there is a pretty decent chance that Pete would have been the Dem nominee if not the current president if he had any support from the black community.

Yeah he crushes with suburban women and college educated folk but he (as did Sanders) got very little support from the black community. That went all to Biden, which is why he dominated South Carolina and went on to get the nomination even though he died in Iowa and NH (which was won by Pete and Bernie).

So he needs to build up his trust in the black community.

He's not really concerned about the old, white male, Trumpster that likes to make dumb, gay jokes like Bootyjudge or Chest feeding.

Actually those comments just confirm the stereotype that doesn't play at all for suburban women.

The brilliance of Pete is he's really good at making a moral argument, which politically is the sweet spot, and he does it in a calm, focused and effective manner (vs an over the top, emotional delivery).
Good point. He's pandering to blacks now, since he needs their support.

If you don't really listen to what he's saying, he seems to make sense. But the substance of his speeches are void of any action - all talk.

So put you down for not giving a f about past decisions that advertently or inadvertently made some communities take the brunt of the negative impacts (which was surprisingly consistent trend in most cities it went through) to make an effort to not f#$k over those same communities this time?

God forbid possibly help those communities?

Got it.

Ha ha ha I bet Pete just wants to make sure there's a wide highway to Hershey. Derp derp derp.
Fix something that was done 60 years ago?

You mean like reparations?

I hate to break it to you, but people can move if they don't like their neighborhoods.

My God man, don't you realize how much busier the California ports are. You are suggesting the city manager of LA go to Mayberry to learn about traffic control. For example Abbott said Houston should be used instead of California. Well, modern merchant ships can't go through the Panama Canal. And the ports have a ginormous capacity difference:

Houston is the nation's 6th largest container port. But in 2020 it handled at equivalent of 2.9 million 20-foot containers of cargo, which is how volumes are measured. That's a fraction of the 9.2 million handled by Los Angeles alone, plus another 8.1 million at Long Beach.​

As to the racism aspect, make up your mind what we want to care about. Look up "Black Bottom" Detroit, torn down for a 1 mile interstate. Mainly poor but with some middle class. In that area were over 300 Black owned businesses. In the mid 60s, what do you think happened to those businesses? Do you think they moved to Vail and began anew?

Google the issue. You will read about areas in Baltimore, Columbus OH, Detroit called "tight knit Black communities" being torn down for interstates. Black owned businesses closed. Now this was the era of redlining, people were not given loans to buy into those areas. As a result the FMV of those homes and businesses was unfairly depressed. Those individuals did not get fair compensation. So they had troubles starting anew, often having to move into even worse areas because they weren't allowed and couldn't afford better.

Sometimes highways were placed specifically to create barriers. In Detroit, the 8 Mile Road served that purpose for a while but was inefficient. So a wall was built to keep Blacks out:

So it is obvious from that article that roads were used that way because the bloody thing had a wall added to it to make sure.

In reading about Baltimore, Columbus, Detroit, the areas destroyed were working poor neighborhoods. So we destroyed working poor neighborhoods, churches, busiensses, schools, and now gripe that those same people won't work? Can we make up our minds of what we want?

There are a lot of maps in the WP article below. Time after time after time roads and railroads cordon off Black areas from White. In the era of redlining, mixed neighborhoods were ineligible for loans from banks or FHA. If a barrier existed that allowed one side to show that they were not racially diverse, they could get the loans. That happened.

Below is St Louis, Mc can let us know if this is accurate?

imrs.php

The image won't show up. Mc, is Delmar Blvd a dividing line in St Louis?

But back to the point on the overpasses, the book that tells the story is from a guy who worked for Moses. Sure, it may be made up. But why can't anyone accept it may be factual?

He’s just a bullshit politician with no real beliefs. He says what he thinks will get him elected. The black folks in South Bend had very little use for him. I’ll make whatever jokes I want about him because his comment about a racist overpass was a joke. And yea he should go back on family leave. He’s the one taking stupid pictures in a hospital bed like he had a kid. We’re supposed to all play along or be called some phobe. Screw it. He better stay away from CRT or those suburban women will throw his ass in the street like McAuliffe.

You should keep making those dumb jokes you want to make about him because they are much more revealing about how sad and pathetic you are than anything about him.

Thankfully, Pete's adopted baby is off a ventilator and out of the hospital. That's an awful thing for any parent to go through.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Would a white person saying “that scum from Italy” be racist? The problem with a term like racism is that it is thrown around with no thought about what it means. Puerto Ricans like AOC are as European as I am. It is certainly discriminatory and bigoted to think of Spanish descendants as scum, but it isn’t racism.
You seemed to hate my correct but VERY CORRECT pedantic response to what is a baby last week. But you are technically correct. I will replace racism with bigotry. At its heart, bigotry is a hatred or fear of the other. Race is one item that can be used to separate an other. Now, do we know that all bigots accept that Purto Ricans are not another race is a different question.

My God man, don't you realize how much busier the California ports are. You are suggesting the city manager of LA go to Mayberry to learn about traffic control. For example Abbott said Houston should be used instead of California. Well, modern merchant ships can't go through the Panama Canal. And the ports have a ginormous capacity difference:

Houston is the nation's 6th largest container port. But in 2020 it handled at equivalent of 2.9 million 20-foot containers of cargo, which is how volumes are measured. That's a fraction of the 9.2 million handled by Los Angeles alone, plus another 8.1 million at Long Beach.​

As to the racism aspect, make up your mind what we want to care about. Look up "Black Bottom" Detroit, torn down for a 1 mile interstate. Mainly poor but with some middle class. In that area were over 300 Black owned businesses. In the mid 60s, what do you think happened to those businesses? Do you think they moved to Vail and began anew?

Google the issue. You will read about areas in Baltimore, Columbus OH, Detroit called "tight knit Black communities" being torn down for interstates. Black owned businesses closed. Now this was the era of redlining, people were not given loans to buy into those areas. As a result the FMV of those homes and businesses was unfairly depressed. Those individuals did not get fair compensation. So they had troubles starting anew, often having to move into even worse areas because they weren't allowed and couldn't afford better.

Sometimes highways were placed specifically to create barriers. In Detroit, the 8 Mile Road served that purpose for a while but was inefficient. So a wall was built to keep Blacks out:

So it is obvious from that article that roads were used that way because the bloody thing had a wall added to it to make sure.

In reading about Baltimore, Columbus, Detroit, the areas destroyed were working poor neighborhoods. So we destroyed working poor neighborhoods, churches, busiensses, schools, and now gripe that those same people won't work? Can we make up our minds of what we want?

There are a lot of maps in the WP article below. Time after time after time roads and railroads cordon off Black areas from White. In the era of redlining, mixed neighborhoods were ineligible for loans from banks or FHA. If a barrier existed that allowed one side to show that they were not racially diverse, they could get the loans. That happened.

imrs.php

But back to the point on the overpasses, the book that tells the story is from a guy who worked for Moses. Sure, it may be made up. But why can't anyone accept it may be factual?
Delmar runs from the City through the County a block over from Wash U. There's a great bar called Blueberry Hill off Delmar where you could sit and have beers with Chuck Berry. Trivia aside it's absolutely a dividing line. North of Delmar goes to shit from the City through the County. As I related above - that racism played a role in our highway/roads/infrastructure is indisputable. It's a fact. I am not convinced, again, that restructuring is where our dollars are best spent. This might be too many decades too late. And with all things before we go down this path will we see studies, research, C/B/A, or will it just be government slogging away with no real plan because the money's free and there's a history of racism?

Last edited:
Yeah, $1B is a pittance. It would take trillions to address the history of racial inequities in the design of our highway system.

A lot of arguments can be made that this and that complaint is injecting racism where it doesn't need to be, but highway placement isn't one of them. That's a well-documented problem.

I'm sure it is a small down payment. That is the way these criminals work.

Reactions: DANC and Lucy01

imrs.php

The fact is you cannot connect NW Indiana with The Loop via a modern highway without disrupting neighborhoods, often black neighborhoods. I suspect many places are similar. That doesn’t mean racism was a factor. Moreover, the experts thought they were doing a good thing in the South Side of Chicago with blight mitigation connected with HY construction. The experts were wrong, so what else is new?

As far as the port of Savanna is concerned, the point isn’t so much size as it is ways of operations. Trucking is much more available in Georgia than California for a number of reasons. No long lines for loads.

Reactions: DANC and Bill4411
Well if anyone paid any attention politically they'd realize that there is a pretty decent chance that Pete would have been the Dem nominee if not the current president if he had any support from the black community.

Yeah he crushes with suburban women and college educated folk but he (as did Sanders) got very little support from the black community. That went all to Biden, which is why he dominated South Carolina and went on to get the nomination even though he died in Iowa and NH (which was won by Pete and Bernie).

So he needs to build up his trust in the black community.

He's not really concerned about the old, white male, Trumpster that likes to make dumb, gay jokes like Bootyjudge or Chest feeding.

Actually those comments just confirm the stereotype that doesn't play at all for suburban women.

The brilliance of Pete is he's really good at making a moral argument, which politically is the sweet spot, and he does it in a calm, focused and effective manner (vs an over the top, emotional delivery.
Proof that snowflakes like snowflakes.

Reactions: DANC
The fact is you cannot connect NW Indiana with The Loop via a modern highway without disrupting neighborhoods, often black neighborhoods. I suspect many places are similar. That doesn’t mean racism was a factor. Moreover, the experts thought they were doing a good thing in the South Side of Chicago with blight mitigation connected with HY construction. The experts were wrong, so what else is new?

As far as the port of Savanna is concerned, the point isn’t so much size as it is ways of operations. Trucking is much more available in Georgia than California for a number of reasons. No long lines for loads.
COH there are countless roads and barricades throughout cities like Saint Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, that divide communities. I have no doubt that there was intent in the creation of same. What I have doubt is that "reconnecting" these neighborhoods will make any difference. What I further doubt is that Pete or anyone else in his 8 months in office, backing out his time sitting at home, conducted studies to evidence exactly how this is going to be a boon instead of a boondoggle. It's more virtue-signaling. IMO that money would be better spent on cops and schools and other community enhancements.

RINO convention. Hopefully those attending who are not already retiring will be primaried.

Because the worst thing a politician can ever do is work with the other side.

And you wonder why our political system has issues.

People are stupid. The criticism of interstate placements through urban areas is very valid.

I can only speak for Indy, as I know it well..... but it's expressway design decimated many neighborhoods.

The interstate system was a great achievement, but the urban planning as part of it was a total ****ING disaster
What, specifically, would you have done differently in the placement of interstate highways in Indy?

Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC

One place in the US may have done this without racism, that sure is proof that racism did not exist in any location and at any time. Thanks, we can all now be in agreement.

Nope. He's got a whole platform of beliefs.

They are actually written down too (imagine that) with his economic proposals being the most cost effective of all the Dem candidates (and blessed by ivy league economists).

Blurb from the fiscal times on each candidates economic proposal.

'Buttigieg is the only candidate among the four to have fully offset the cost of his agenda, with $200 billion more in revenue than new spending'.
By what means did he so successfully offset the "cost of his agenda"?

It's the number one issue we have and during the throes of same he's vacillated from virtue signaling to throwing his hands up. He appeals to few other than the far left, a group, again, that isn't doing so hot.

DeSantis, since you brought him up, would destroy Pete in a national election. Pete has outed himself akin to the AOC camp ideologically with all the virtue signaling. That's not a group with national appeal.
Stop it. You will make Tommy cry.

Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC
That's the rub. To me the moral thing to do is sacrifice and go to work. Public service in a time of crisis. The selfish thing to do is stay home. We all want to stay home. Then to take a 250k public salary while staying home ... moral doesn't come to mind.
He's a professional grifter.

Reactions: DANC
In your case I'm guessing you are (admirably) the king, ceo, cfo, coo of your business which comes with the choices for that autonomy of being mainly you on your own. Meaning your business basically depends on the input you put in, like most small businesses, and if you don't 'show up' or 'take leave', you're going to piss off the large base that you individually built up because shit won't get done.

I don't think your situation is relevant to a common, medium sized business org or government org whereas there is no one individual that is critical to the everyday output of it's success like you are to your personal business. Meaning it's built in to allow for people to take leave, bereavement, mental health or whatnot.

It's a huge deal with younger generations.

It's a different mindset.

Mine (as a GenX) was money and to make that money I grinded, networked, worked crazy long hours on that key 'project' (that today doesn't have any lasting effect. I take that back, when you go into Target and buy Market Pantry Target brand cheese....that was me. When you grab your crescent rolls off of a gravity fed shelving display....that was also me even though that's starting to disappear in stores also) etc because that's how I saw was the path to wealth. Long hours, proving my worth, taking on more projects than I probably should working for the next promotion, etc.

It's a different mindset in current corporate America than it was 25-30 years ago.

Like it or not, millennials are entering their power years. They will end up ruling at a near point in time and when they do, like all generations that come into power, their perspective will change the landscape.

The work/home balance is a major boner for people these days but particularly younger executives.

As the party that likes to boast that they are 'family first'....this complaint runs against that and is actually welcomed by Pete.

I think it's a softball pitch for him.

In other words, Pete is not an essential worker. Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66

Infrastructure doesn't scale like we think it does. If it did, Atlanta's 15 lane I75 would never be clogged. I am sure at some point they expanded to like 8 lanes and everyone was sure they'd never need more. And to prove it, the port of Savannah is completely clogged.

The steel boxes are waiting for ships to carry them to their final destination, or for trucks to haul them to warehouses that are themselves stuffed to the rafters. Some 700 containers have been left at the port, on the banks of the Savannah River, by their owners for a month or more.​
“They’re not coming to get their freight,” complained Griff Lynch, the executive director of the Georgia Ports Authority. “We’ve never had the yard as full as this.”​
...​
As the Savannah port works through the backlog, Mr. Lynch has reluctantly forced ships to wait at sea for more than nine days. On a recent afternoon, more than 20 ships were stuck in the queue, anchored up to 17 miles off the coast in the Atlantic.​

Just asking, but did 65 and 70 have to come through downtown? I really don't know the logistics or reasons behind the decision.
I don't either, but it would make sense to deliver the most people the closest you can get them to their work/business activities. I would think the further from downtown the exits are, the more the traffic backlog in rush hours.

Reactions: Crayfish57

I wonder if they're talking about elevating portions of interstate to connect divided neighborhoods? Good luck to anyone who wants to tear down portions of the interstate system and reroute them. Electoral suicide even for these fools.

I wonder if they're talking about elevating portions of interstate to connect divided neighborhoods? Good luck to anyone who wants to tear down portions of the interstate system and reroute them. Electoral suicide even for these fools.
That's my limited understanding. And yes the fights will be horrible. You can't do it without contemporaneously addressing crime. Naivete does no one any good. I remember when the metrolink was proposed to go to some of the burbs. People were disbursing flyers in opposition - claiming that it would provide a vehicle for the "urban element" to come to the burbs and commit crimes. Years later we've learned that it provided a vehicle for the "urban element" to come to the burbs and commit crimes.

There has to be a more holistic approach to what we do to redress racism and oppression. Just randomly connecting communities isn't it. People will throw a fit because the reality is people in a better neighborhood don't want to reconnect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crayfish57
I read an article in Urban Times (Indy downtown monthly "news" magazine) about a proposal to somehow run the interstates underground.
I remember thinking, WTF?
I'll see if I can link the article.

It’s a well-documented problem only in hindsight. Highways to and through city centers ran along existing and unused rail corridors, waterfronts, vacated industrial zones and other property of low value. If you’ve ever driven the Indiana Toll Road and Chicago Skyway into Chicago you’ll see exactly what I’m talking about. Yeah, those properties are where most of the minorities lived, but highway location was not racism because of that. Highway projects were also planned in connection with urban renewal districts development of which coincided with the interstate highway system. A lot of urban planning mistakes were made with the housing built in conjunction with highway construction and clearing blighted areas, and those mistakes affected minorities, but that wasn’t racism, it was just poor judgment. The Dan Ryan is a perfect example. Waterfront areas are probably where the biggest road building mistakes were made. Now that waterfronts are seen as valuable community assets, we have spent huge sums of money removing, rebuilding, or relocating highways to enhance waterfront neighborhoods. Projects like that in Boston, Portland, Seattle, and even Denver (along the South Platte) are fairly well known.

It's easy to lay an ulterior motive upon something when it does harm. It couldn't just be the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. The devil is in the details when it comes how home and land owners were treated and compensated, for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT