ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Ranked Eighth in Preseason Poll . . .

Eban

Junior
Sep 6, 2001
i

8. Indiana Hoosiers

Indiana won the Big Ten title outright and beat a Kentucky team many (rightfully) considered a national-title contender en route to a Sweet 16 finish. It was a resounding, narrative-flipping season built in large part on the brilliant work of Yogi Ferrell, who now leaves Bloomington as one of the most productive guards (and players, period) in school history. The return of guardJames Blackmon Jr. from injury is among the many reasons to stay bullish on the Hoosiers. Robert Johnson, Collin Hartman, and OG Anunoby, a basketball cyborg incrementally approaching self-awareness, are also on that list. The draft, in the end, might be the difference: If neither Troy Williams nor Thomas Bryant return -- the latter especially -- the Hoosiers will be a fun, competitive Big Ten team. If either comes back, or both, title contention is totally in play.

For more on how the Hoosiers will look in 2015-16, check out Indiana's returning players and incoming recruits and ESPN RecruitingNation's class rankings.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-wildcats-college-basketball-top-25-2016-2017

Reactions: yb
i

8. Indiana Hoosiers

Indiana won the Big Ten title outright and beat a Kentucky team many (rightfully) considered a national-title contender en route to a Sweet 16 finish. It was a resounding, narrative-flipping season built in large part on the brilliant work of Yogi Ferrell, who now leaves Bloomington as one of the most productive guards (and players, period) in school history. The return of guardJames Blackmon Jr. from injury is among the many reasons to stay bullish on the Hoosiers. Robert Johnson, Collin Hartman, and OG Anunoby, a basketball cyborg incrementally approaching self-awareness, are also on that list. The draft, in the end, might be the difference: If neither Troy Williams nor Thomas Bryant return -- the latter especially -- the Hoosiers will be a fun, competitive Big Ten team. If either comes back, or both, title contention is totally in play.

For more on how the Hoosiers will look in 2015-16, check out Indiana's returning players and incoming recruits and ESPN RecruitingNation's class rankings.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-wildcats-college-basketball-top-25-2016-2017

National Title Contender? And "many" thought this?

Was one of the many Brennan? Because he wrote this about UK:

"on roster overhaul, another obvious top-five spot for Kentucky. The standard operating procedure in Lexington, Kentucky, continues apace. Good thing, too, not only because burly forward Bam Adebayo could bring some "man"to 2015-16's underwhelming frontcourt, "

So, let me get this straight.

UK was predicted by "many" to be a national-title contender, but had an underwhelming frontcourt?

Just how many teams are thought by "many" to be title contenders as a #4 seed with a weak frontcourt?

Last edited:
Reactions: awf
i

8. Indiana Hoosiers

I don't think people are really thinking about how tough the loss of Yogi is going to be. Like Johnson and Blackmon will magically step in and take his place.
Johnson is a decent all around player, but nowhere close to Yogi as far as speed, quickness, ball handling, and passing.
Blackmon is a good outside shooter. Obviously not much of a ball handler or distributor being a SG and he certainly isn't any kind of defender.
Yogi will be missed and it will be apparent when we play our first decent opponent.
I hope what I'm hearing about Newkirk is true.

Reactions: hgdownunder
I don't think people are really thinking about how tough the loss of Yogi is going to be. Like Johnson and Blackmon will magically step in and take his place.
Johnson is a decent all around player, but nowhere close to Yogi as far as speed, quickness, ball handling, and passing.
Blackmon is a good outside shooter. Obviously not much of a ball handler or distributor being a SG and he certainly isn't any kind of defender.
Yogi will be missed and it will be apparent when we play our first decent opponent.
but we have all those wings.....that ain't enough?

Where are all the wings Harpo. I get a little tired of that comment. We have a lot of interchangeable players who can defend different position this coming year. That is how Villinova won last night.

i

8. Indiana Hoosiers

Yogi will be a tough loss but IU should be very good at every position and can contend for the championship..

Having Newkirk with experience and a year with the team will be better than a freshman in his first year replacing Yogi. The impression I get is that he is a quick defender and shows leadership qualities. Between Newkirk and Rojo, I am not too worried about having someone to initiate the offense. I'm also not worried about making up points. The returning and incoming players will make up the difference. I believe we will miss having a savvy post player coming off the bench. I would love to have another Bielfeldt.

We won't be the same team as this year, but I'm not expecting much of a decline and we could become better if we build on the defensive improvement we made this year.

Losing Troy won't be much of a factor. I don't want to be too critical, but IU will become a smarter, less selfish team without him on the court. His contributions can be made up without the bad decisions and ill-advised shots.

Having Newkirk with experience and a year with the team will be better than a freshman in his first year replacing Yogi. The impression I get is that he is a quick defender and shows leadership qualities. Between Newkirk and Rojo, I am not too worried about having someone to initiate the offense. I'm also not worried about making up points. The returning and incoming players will make up the difference. I believe we will miss having a savvy post player coming off the bench. I would love to have another Bielfeldt.

We won't be the same team as this year, but I'm not expecting much of a decline and we could become better if we build on the defensive improvement we made this year.

Losing Troy won't be much of a factor. I don't want to be too critical, but IU will become a smarter, less selfish team without him on the court. His contributions can be made up without the bad decisions and ill-advised shots.
I think we can afford to lose Troy but I'd prefer him to come back. If RBJ can play defense next year IU will be very hard to beat.

Reactions: OpieJuan Cannoli
I believe IU will be vey good if Bryant returns. Yes, we will miss Yogi, but we have some very experienced guards that can shoot and I expect them to be improved.
Bryant will be better and OG, well he may be amazing in his jump!!!

I think we can afford to lose Troy but I'd prefer him to come back. If RBJ can play defense next year IU will be very hard to beat.
If Troy doesn't believe staying will help his draft prospects and he has already graduated, the decision is easy.

Most of Troy's negatives should have been corrected after 3 years. Outside of possibly better shooting, I don't see him making a jump in performance in year 4. This may be his best time to come out. I believe he will have to get strong recommendations from NBA contacts to reverse his decision.

Reactions: MrBing
8th is a bit high. Even if Bryant returns I'm thinking 15-20. You don't lose an All-American PG and get better...unless Newkirk can really step up.

Key to next year is some young guards contributing. Rojo, Blackmon and newkirk have all had injuries and surgeries to Lower legs. Hoping they stay healthy but defiantly need cujo and Green ready to give minutes.
The loss of YF, who drove IU offensively after JB's injury, will be extremely difficult for IU to replace. If everyone else comes back, it's a top 20 team, albeit one that will struggle against quality opponents because of the lack of team defense.

Reactions: russelltodd
8th is a bit high. Even if Bryant returns I'm thinking 15-20. You don't lose an All-American PG and get better...unless Newkirk can really step up.
It is a little early to predict rankings because we have no idea what each teams roster will look like next year until we see who stays in the draft.

Yogi is not being replaced by one player. If Newkirk is as advertised, he will replace his ball handling and defense from the PG position. They will probably have to look elsewhere to replace his scoring. Morgan, OG, JBJ returns plus an uptick in scoring from Rojo and Bryant if here. I don't see why Troy would come back if he has graduated. He can develop his basketball for the NBA much quicker going pro. All he needs is a solid NBA summer league and somebody will show interest.. I think he is the type of player who would do well in the NBA summer league.

Yogi is going to be a massive loss and anyone who thinks otherwise lives in a fantasy world. There are very few guards out there who could pull up for a three or drive and dish like he could. He was very very tough to defend given the different things he could do. Now if nobody goes anywhere ( as some posters are stating) it could be a pretty good team. However, to expect Newkirk to come in and just replace yogi it is not going to happen.

What are you hearing about Newkirk?

Yogi is going to be a massive loss and anyone who thinks otherwise lives in a fantasy world. There are very few guards out there who could pull up for a three or drive and dish like he could. He was very very tough to defend given the different things he could do. Now if nobody goes anywhere ( as some posters are stating) it could be a pretty good team. However, to expect Newkirk to come in and just replace yogi it is not going to happen.

As someone else already stated....Yogi isn't being replaced by one player. IU is adding the following NEW guards to help RoJo....JBJ (JR), Newkirk (JR), and CuJo (FR)....

And lets not forget the freshman to sophmore jump for Bryant, Morgan, and OG.....

If Byrant stays....with the addition of Davis (hearing he is at least 6'10'').....next year maybe the deepest team Crean has ever had.....

As someone else already stated....Yogi isn't being replaced by one player. IU is adding the following NEW guards to help RoJo....JBJ (JR), Newkirk (JR), and CuJo (FR)....

And lets not forget the freshman to sophmore jump for Bryant, Morgan, and OG.....

If Byrant stays....with the addition of Davis (hearing he is at least 6'10'').....next year maybe the deepest team Crean has ever had.....

What if Bryant doesn't stay. Then what?

If Bryant and Troy both come back IU is top 10. Just Bryant then top 15. Neither and fringe top 25. Replacing Yogi is impossible. Replacing his production isn't. The scoring won't be an issue with Cujo in the mix and JBJ coming back. Assists will be a little tougher to replicate but I'm higher on Rojo in that department than some. Ball handling won't be an issue for Rojo and Newkirk. Yogi leaving simply shouldn't hurt THAT much with who IU has coming in.

Not to mention the front court should be much stronger with sophomore OG, Morgan, and hopefully Bryant plus Davis coming in as a freshman. This team could definitely be stronger than the 2015-16. Only thing to truly worry about is Bryant not coming back. If that happens I don't think IU can contend for the title.

But it would be worth it just to give you the joy of knowing your boy would be with you for another 20 plus years.

Hey, if they fired him right now, I wouldn't miss a beat. I may not agree, depending on the reasons, but I would be excited about his replacement, and CTC would become just another ex-coach to root against when he got another job.

Hey, if they fired him right now, I wouldn't miss a beat. I may not agree, depending on the reasons, but I would be excited about his replacement, and CTC would become just another ex-coach to root against when he got another job.
I actually was a big crean guy up until the Syracuse debacle and then the next two seasons were pretty darn poor going 16-20 in the big ten. So at this point it is going to take more then just one season for me to believe he has turned some sort of corner.

I actually was a big crean guy up until the Syracuse debacle and then the next two seasons were pretty darn poor going 16-20 in the big ten. So at this point it is going to take more then just one season for me to believe he has turned some sort of corner.
Personally, I hope one season is sufficient to change minds....that would make nine.

i

8. Indiana Hoosiers

LOL.... Am sitting here thinking... A #8 preseason ranking for next season and a likely #8 seed projection by the NCAA for the tournament based upon how IU got jobbed this season by the NCAA. Still can't believe that the undisputed regular season Big 10 champion was relegated to a 5 seed.with the amount of teams the Big 10 put in the tournament.

LOL.... Am sitting here thinking... A #8 preseason ranking for next season and a likely #8 seed projection by the NCAA for the tournament based upon how IU got jobbed this season by the NCAA. Still can't believe that the undisputed regular season Big 10 champion was relegated to a 5 seed.with the amount of teams the Big 10 put in the tournament.
It is pretty simple. The big ten was ranked the 5th best power conference and our SOS stunk.

No one is trying to replace Yogi but lets not put him on a pedastal so high that we shall never be good again. Believe it or not, IU has won 5 national titles without Yogi. Matter of fact, 4 different teams won the title the last 4 years while we had Yogi and none of those titles were ours. Our team will be good next year and very likely to be much better even though we lose a big piece in Yogi. We add depth into our post and expect elevated play from all of the other players. That can more than make up for a loss in Yogi. The PG role can morph into something different than it was and more prototypical of a PG. Robert Johnson is the type of player who can defend, pass and have a big game scoring from time to time. He is athletic and will not be out muscled by anyone. He has more height and will provide a lot of things we need. IU will be fine without Yogi and this "the end is here" because he is gone is false.

This is not to say I don't love me some Yogi. He was an amazing player and I will miss him not suiting up on gameday. But Yogi had a lot of talent around him. We leaned on Yogi because he was the best player and that's what teams with those types of players often do. Next year we will allow others to take on larger roles and they will all shine at doing so which will make us even more dangerous.

Reactions: ORG and PhxFiveOh
It is pretty simple. The big ten was ranked the 5th best power conference and our SOS stunk.

We understand they were ranked that but it doesn't mean it makes sense. Not that you're proclaiming they do just saying. The Big 12 had many teams ranked in the top 15 in the pre-conference so when they got into conference they only boosted each others RPI further by playing each other multiple times. That SOS is set before conference season and only boosted further as the season goes on. Why was the Big 12 ranked so high? Their best team lost to the second place B1G school. The B1G won the ACC/B1G challenge yet were rated below the ACC in the pre-conference and that unrealistic gap was then furthered along as they played each other in conference. Those SOS are super subjective and don't hold as much merit as we want to give them. I still think there's no way you put a power 5 conference champion (by multiple games nonetheless) at a 5 seed. You reward a team for a good season and that was no reward at all.

Reactions: awf
We understand they were ranked that but it doesn't mean it makes sense. Not that you're proclaiming they do just saying. The Big 12 had many teams ranked in the top 15 in the pre-conference so when they got into conference they only boosted each others RPI further by playing each other multiple times. That SOS is set before conference season and only boosted further as the season goes on. Why was the Big 12 ranked so high? Their best team lost to the second place B1G school. The B1G won the ACC/B1G challenge yet were rated below the ACC in the pre-conference and that unrealistic gap was then furthered along as they played each other in conference. Those SOS are super subjective and don't hold as much merit as we want to give them. I still think there's no way you put a power 5 conference champion (by multiple games nonetheless) at a 5 seed. You reward a team for a good season and that was no reward at all.
I don't know what to tell you. I guess you can take it up with the selection committee.

Well according to kent sterling on the podcast Troy Williams has no choice but to come back and Thomas Bryant is not ready for the NBA. So maybe nobody is going anywhere is going to be a true statement.

No one is trying to replace Yogi but lets not put him on a pedastal so high that we shall never be good again. Believe it or not, IU has won 5 national titles without Yogi. Matter of fact, 4 different teams won the title the last 4 years while we had Yogi and none of those titles were ours. Our team will be good next year and very likely to be much better even though we lose a big piece in Yogi. We add depth into our post and expect elevated play from all of the other players. That can more than make up for a loss in Yogi. The PG role can morph into something different than it was and more prototypical of a PG. Robert Johnson is the type of player who can defend, pass and have a big game scoring from time to time. He is athletic and will not be out muscled by anyone. He has more height and will provide a lot of things we need. IU will be fine without Yogi and this "the end is here" because he is gone is false.

This is not to say I don't love me some Yogi. He was an amazing player and I will miss him not suiting up on gameday. But Yogi had a lot of talent around him. We leaned on Yogi because he was the best player and that's what teams with those types of players often do. Next year we will allow others to take on larger roles and they will all shine at doing so which will make us even more dangerous.

The point is people always try to underplay losing a great player and then seem shocked when the next year the replacements aren’t what they built them up to me. It is like the year after zeller when Troy and that group came in. There were people stating that team was going to be better then the one that had just won the big ten and they really believed that. People always have seemed to have these inflated ideas of what incoming players are going to do. My point is people should not write the yogi loss off as something that will just be replaced and expect IU not to miss a beat. The team can be good next year but until we see them play we have no idea how they will be at point guard.

The point is people always try to underplay losing a great player and then seem shocked when the next year the replacements aren’t what they built them up to me. It is like the year after zeller when Troy and that group came in. There were people stating that team was going to be better then the one that had just won the big ten and they really believed that. People always have seemed to have these inflated ideas of what incoming players are going to do. My point is people should not write the yogi loss off as something that will just be replaced and expect IU not to miss a beat. The team can be good next year but until we see them play we have no idea how they will be at point guard.

How dare you fans be optimistic.

Reactions: schmib
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT