ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Ranked Eighth in Preseason Poll . . .

There's no context in which your remark wouldn't have been stupid. I'm not sure why you're trying to defend your position. Just bow out as gracefully as you're able.

Well there's certainly nothing I could explain as simply as you would require but I'll give it a shot anyway. Crean has had about five years of coaching a program that is back on his feet. He has two out right titles and three sweet sixteens. We're going to be ranked in the top ten going into next year. I don't think all of that calls for his termination considering that even RMK had multi year stretches when we finished back in the conference pack and didn't even make the tournament. He was building another team and everyone understood that.

Creans first 'finished product' was the Zeller team. It won a Big Ten title but under achieved in the tournament. Considering where we were when he arrived on campus it was still a big jump. This is his next team. Everyone will be expecting more out of this team including me but a few bumpy years to get to this point is NOT unusual to IU fans who have been around since the 70s.

At no time did I ever try to imply that Tom Crean was on a coaching level with Bob Knight. Is that clearer?

Well there's certainly nothing I could explain as simply as you would require but I'll give it a shot anyway. Crean has had about five years of coaching a program that is back on his feet. He has two out right titles and three sweet sixteens. We're going to be ranked in the top ten going into next year. I don't think all of that calls for his termination considering that even RMK had multi year stretches when we finished back in the conference pack and didn't even make the tournament. He was building another team and everyone understood that.

Creans first 'finished product' was the Zeller team. It won a Big Ten title but under achieved in the tournament. Considering where we were when he arrived on campus it was still a big jump. This is his next team. Everyone will be expecting more out of this team including me but a few bumpy years to get to this point is NOT unusual to IU fans who have been around since the 70s.

At no time did I ever try to imply that Tom Crean was on a coaching level with Bob Knight. Is that clearer?
It's a bad analogy because you aren't factoring in the equity that RMK had built up. If RMK was like TC and had never won a title than he would have faced the same scrutiny...probably more due to his incidents The talk would've been the same and it would've been justified

You can't just go this year, and that year and this year...those years didn't happen in a vacuum

You aren't factoring in the frustration with the rash of off court troubles. RMK had his issues but he never had a stretch like weve seem the past two years

You also aren't factoring in the frustration with the roster turnover. RMK had his issues with transfers but it was never as bad as its been with TC. And until the end RMK was able to win in spite of the transfers.

Winning is the main issue but it's not the only issue, you know that but choose to ignore that to fit your preference

Put it another way, if IU wins it all in 2013, we had even a normal amount of off court incidents, and a reasonable amount of turnover..this board would be behind TC.

Last edited:
Then you didn't understand it. My point was that some people are WAY to fast to jump on Crean after five years of coaching a normal program. Sorry but anyone calling for his head right now has the brains of a f***ing artichoke....IMO.

still only adds up to to 6 tourney wins in the only 5 years you are willing to count.

i think indiana can have a better program than michigan or ohio state much less baylor. you don't. cool.

Actually before 85 if you made the tournament it was easier to make the sweet 16. If you had a bye all you had to do was wn one game.
Under the rules RMK faced at Army and his first few years at IU....TC would've made the tourney two times in his career. His FF run wouldn't have happened

Reactions: russelltodd

but he's still not competing with his similarly paid peers. all pistons firing for 5 years. no excuses. we've won 2 titles (the ncaa committee really let us know what they think of an unbalanced bt title), missed a tourney, barely made another, and have 6 tourney wins in 5 years.

no way to really candy coat it.

even RMK had multi year stretches when we finished back in the conference pack and didn't even make the tournament.

You truly have no idea what you're talking about.

"even RMK had multi year stretches when we didn't even make the tournament"

In 29 seasons at Indiana, Bob Knight failed to make the NCAA tournament 5 times.

"even RMK had multi year stretches when we finished back in the conference pack"

In 29 seasons at Indiana, Bob Knight finished worse than 5th exactly THREE times (1984-85,7th; 1989-90, 7th; 1996-97, 6th). He won 10 Big 10 titles, 7 outright.

Now look at Crean's record.

Even if we take out the first 3 years of IU (as you insist - even though year 3 he had a paltry 3 conference wins) over his entire coaching career he's missed the NCAA tournament FIVE times!

He's won 3 outright conference titles - 2003 with Wade, 2013 with 2 of the top 4 picks in the NBA draft, and this past season during a year the conference was very weak and IU played a favorable schedule (just WHY do you think an outright B1G champions was given a 5 seed?).

You really ought to stop now. This will only get worse for you.

I'm delicate? Aren't you the one that deactivated my DM because I was talking about TC privately?

I've been warned once, for mocking a poster...kinda like you just did to me...and had my DMs deactivated...but yeah I'm the delicate flower....or maybe, just maybe it's that you have a set of rules for us and a different set for you?

Yeah, it's odd how moderators are allowed to name call when others get banned for it it and then they have the nads to rip you with "delicate flower."

Then you didn't understand it. My point was that some people are WAY to fast to jump on Crean after five years of coaching a normal program. Sorry but anyone calling for his head right now has the brains of a f***ing artichoke....IMO.

Wow, they are even allowed to "fake cuss" when even that is against the rules.....

What's next? You're going to call Yogi's mom horrible names?

In the years that Bo

When RMK was rebuilding....the expectations were built upon proven precedent....It happened before an can happen again. That factor does not apply to Crean, except for the one FF that is constantly referenced. Yes...IU should be preseason Top 10. With that comes the expectations.....but without the belief that another FF was right around the corner.

Last edited:
If I got kicked off of a free board...I'd have a beer....................or two. Something I actually pay for.

It's the principle of it.

It's pretty rich to tell people, "If you call anyone a name you're booted" when you're the worst offender on here.

And then on top of that, use the "fake cussing" that is also against the rules.

It's the principle of it.

It's pretty rich to tell people, "If you call anyone a name you're booted" when you're the worst offender on here.

And then on top of that, use the "fake cussing" that is also against the rules.

Can you say, "Fudge that sugar"? Or is fake cussing using the @#$% buttons?

You truly have no idea what you're talking about.

"even RMK had multi year stretches when we didn't even make the tournament"

In 29 seasons at Indiana, Bob Knight failed to make the NCAA tournament 5 times.

It should also be noted that only one of those five misses came in the era of the 64 (now 68) team tourney (the 84/85 season). And in RMK's early years only conference champions made the NCAA Tourney. In 1974 IU went 23-5 (12-2) and didn't make the NCAA Tourney. Looking back at IU's records under RMK I see only three teams that would probably be left out of a 64/68 team tourney...71/72, 76/77, and 84/85.

It should also be noted that only one of those five misses came in the era of the 64 (now 68) team tourney (the 84/85 season). And in RMK's early years only conference champions made the NCAA Tourney. In 1974 IU went 23-5 (12-2) and didn't make the NCAA Tourney. Looking back at IU's records under RMK I see only three teams that would probably be left out of a 64/68 team tourney...71/72, 76/77, and 84/85.
Yeah this thread wasn't IUTs shining moment

The 71/72 team would've made a 64-team field: 17-8 record, Third Place in the Conference, two wins over top-10 teams, and a strong finish (9-1 over last 10 games of the regular season).

An outright title, the second in four years, and a top ten ranking going into next year is a reason for optimism but you guys are all PMSing.

Crean did a good job this year and to deny that is stupid. If he flames out next year I may start to draw different conclusions but the people whining and sniveling right now because we "only" won another Big Ten title make me shake my head.

Reactions: ORG
An outright title, the second in four years, and a top ten ranking going into next year is a reason for optimism but you guys are all PMSing.

Crean did a good job this year and to deny that is stupid. If he flames out next year I may start to draw different conclusions but the people whining and sniveling right now because we "only" won another Big Ten title make me shake my head.

Yes, he did a "good" job, but not the AWESOME job some claim.....especially when they keep bragging about "25+ wins" when we had one of the worst schedules in the country, bith pre-Big Ten and in conference.

And he also "lucked" into it with Blackmon getting hurt as it gave OG more playing time, which greatly increased our defense.

If that hadn't happened, I seriously doubt we would have won the Big Ten as Crean would not have sat him for not playing D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT