ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana needs to join the MAC for football

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
1.) Won't affect crowd sizes
B.) Chance to win against similar talent
4.) Will no longer be stat bait for the rest of the Big Ten East.

I enjoyed the IU-WKU game. It looked like even teams battling in a hard fought game. Playing schools of that caliber would give IU a chance to win occasionally. MAC conference seems like a good fit.

I enjoyed the IU-WKU game. It looked like even teams battling in a hard fought game. Playing schools of that caliber would give IU a chance to win occasionally. MAC conference seems like a good fit.
Clown

Reactions: indiana ed
We’re bad. Fans are frustrated. Changes need to be made. But this is just plain stupid
I think this almost every season at some point but don’t say it. Or does me admitting that mean I said it? Losing this badly has made me punch drunk tonight.

Bump.

It isn't coaching. 100th out of 111 schools in all time wins.

IU is stat bait until they leave the Big Ten in football.

Reactions: Sophie1970

something tells me the IU administration and trustees aren't going to be keen on foregoing far more $$$ in B1G 10 research consortium dollars than could be brought in by a football program most of them don't care much about anyway

But it would cost us a gazillion dollars to give up the Big Ten money.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
something tells me the IU administration and trustees aren't going to be keen on foregoing far more $$$ in B1G 10 research consortium dollars than could be brought in by a football program most of them don't care much about anyway
I think we're actually underpaid. We should be getting a larger share just to stay and get our butts kicked.

This is completely idiotic. Financially that would cripple the athletic department.
And kiss any future success goodbye in other sports. No chance of any championships in basketball since a MAC school would never be a big draw. People who advocate that are not real IU fans.
On the other hand, if the money was the same, I would not be opposed to joining the ACC where they usually only have a couple of good teams each season in football.

Reactions: Andy06
IU has always been a mom and pop operation trying to compete with mega corporations called OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin. It’s a doormat school that is simply a placeholder in the conference.
The only thing that somewhat levels the extreme revenue gap and the athletic machines in our conference is hiring good coaches who punch above their weight. Unfortunately, we’ve only ever had 1 of those in our modern era.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
And kiss any future success goodbye in other sports. No chance of any championships in basketball since a MAC school would never be a big draw. People who advocate that are not real IU fans.
On the other hand, if the money was the same, I would not be opposed to joining the ACC where they usually only have a couple of good teams each season in football.
Can’t we just join the MAC in FB and stay in B1G in bball?

Lol so true, they bamboozled the ACC into taking all the sports that ND is irrelevant in and not FB.
It's their M-O. Back in the nineties they joined the old MCC in all sports except men's bball (that league didn't have football). The idea was they could use their superior athletic dept. revenue and scholly numbers to gobble all the automatic bids in womens' and non-revenue mens' sports without sharing any of the dough from bball or fball. Then when their mens bball program turned mediocre, they jumped in the Big East. Of course they like their academic/library/research connection to the Big Ten but want nothing to do with competing in a league they can't dominate or that won't let them hoard their football money. FVck 'em.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
It's their M-O. Back in the nineties they joined the old MCC in all sports except men's bball (that league didn't have football). The idea was they could use their superior athletic dept. revenue and scholly numbers to gobble all the automatic bids in womens' and non-revenue mens' sports without sharing any of the dough from bball or fball. Then when their mens bball program turned mediocre, they jumped in the Big East. Of course they like their academic/library/research connection to the Big Ten but want nothing to do with competing in a league they can't dominate or that won't let them hoard their football money. FVck 'em.
By MCC, do you mean the Metro Conference (Louisville was a member, I recall)?

You must lead out with football as your bell cow. Indiana has always put basketball on the front burner much to the detriment of football.

There is absolutely zero proof/situations where leading with basketball has ever helped a school's football program. Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, etc., not one damn example.

I can't believe this is that hard to figure out...OTOH, football often builds very successful basketball programs. We have definitive proof of this...

You must lead out with football as your bell cow. Indiana has always put basketball on the front burner much to the detriment of football.

There is absolutely zero proof/situations where leading with basketball has ever helped a school's football program. Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, etc., not one damn example.

I can't believe this is that hard to figure out...OTOH, football often builds very successful basketball programs. We have definitive proof of this...
One has nothing to do with the other. It’s not a zero sum game. Plenty of schools have great football and basketball programs. This is just another lousy excuse from our fans which has been disproven time and time again.

One has nothing to do with the other. It’s not a zero sum game. Plenty of schools have great football and basketball programs. This is just another lousy excuse from our fans which has been disproven time and time again.
W-R-O-N-G...There's no proof that exists...

Seriously guys, this isn't rocket science. We did a case study for a class, a few years before BTN was launched.

IU's athletic budget was $35 million that year. We made $5 million off football attendance for the whole year.

Michigan made $5 million per game. They had 7 home games. Their football revenue from gate reciepts totaled our entire budget.

That's a huge advantage for football schools financially. The only reason PSU and Nebraska suck at basketball is because they invested in hoops like we did football for decades.

Football is the cash cow. BTN makes a fraction from IUBB compared to what OSU, UM football generates.

Michigan
Florida
OSU
MSU
Texas
Baylor
Auburn
Alabama
Oregon
FSU
Arkansas

Just to name a few that are known as big football programs doing pretty well in basketball. It doesn’t have to be an either or.
Yes, you made my point for me. Those are schools dedicated to football and their gridiron success has fueled their bball programs.

Reactions: ESalum86 and Andy06
Yes, you made my point for me. Those are schools dedicated to football and their gridiron success has fueled their bball programs.
Both programs are completely separate. Being good at one has no significant correlation to your success in the other one. It’s incredibly dumb to either blame failure or give credit to one program for the success or lack of success of the other. You’re looking for something that’s not there. You can be good at both, bad at both, or good at one and bad at the other. Stop blaming a nonexistent boogeyman for IU’s lack of success in both sports. It’s our administration and coaches to blame.

This is wrong on so many levels.
1. Yes it will impact attendance. Do you honestly think we would ever get close to a sellout playing Toledo, Akron, and Bowling Green?
B. Our roster would nearly all transfer out. Nobody signed up to play in the MAC. Our recruiting would suffer too.
4. This is the only correct point you made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT