ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana legislators at it again, this time trying to deny Tesla...

IU-Curmudgeon

All-Big Ten
Dec 11, 2011
Bloomington, Indiana
www.google.com
...the ability to sell their cars in the state. We really need to eject the whole lot of them, what an embarrassment they are proving to be. How did this become something the GOP endorses?

Tesla: GM wrote a bill in Indiana to stop us from selling cars in the state

Tesla recently sent a letter to “Tesla Owners and Enthusiasts” living in the Indiana area asking for their help to defeat a piece of legislation introduced by state lawmakers that would prevent auto manufacturers from selling cars directly to their customers. Tesla has almost exclusively sold vehicles to customers through direct vehicle sales, and it says if the bill is signed into law it would revoke Tesla’s permission to sell vehicles from its existing storefront in Indianapolis.

The bill seeks to prohibit manufacturers from holding a dealer license after December 31, 2017. Tesla currently holds such a license, although it does not contract with a third-party dealer.

Last edited:
...the ability to sell their cars in the state. We really need to eject the whole lot of them, what an embarrassment they are proving to be. How did this become something the GOP endorses?

Tesla recently sent a letter to “Tesla Owners and Enthusiasts” living in the Indiana area asking for their help to defeat a piece of legislation introduced by state lawmakers that would prevent auto manufacturers from selling cars directly to their customers. Tesla has almost exclusively sold vehicles to customers through direct vehicle sales, and it says if the bill is signed into law it would revoke Tesla’s permission to sell vehicles from its existing storefront in Indianapolis.
Read the bill. It establishes an interim study committee to consider whether or not law changes might be needed within the law on auto selling to accommodate a kind of selling of autos that has never happened in this state. Is the prudent thing and the legislative equivalent of something you never understand - look before you leap.

Reactions: Lucy01
Read the bill. It establishes an interim study committee to consider whether or not law changes might be needed within the law on auto selling to accommodate a kind of selling of autos that has never happened in this state. Is the prudent thing and the legislative equivalent of something you never understand - look before you leap.

Why is it even on the legislative agenda? Look before you leap indeed.

Tesla's business model saves us the cost of one step in the chain.

Last edited:
Why is it even on the legislative agenda? Look before you leap indeed.

Tesla's model saves us the cost of one step in the chain.
It also puts car salesmen and others that would work at the local Tesla dealer out of work.

It also puts car salesmen and others that would work at the local Tesla dealer out of work.
Auto sales and how they function are governed by state law - and some federal law. A bill was introduced by a major auto manufacturer - they have representation also - to change the law as regards those who sell vehicles without dealerships. The notion had never been previously considered and some folks were concerned about unintended consequences, so they changed the bill into an interim study committee - to do their homework on the issue so they avoid unintended consequences.

Would you rather they do it right or fast? Right means learning some things. That's what they will do over the interim.

Auto sales and how they function are governed by state law - and some federal law. A bill was introduced by a major auto manufacturer - they have representation also - to change the law as regards those who sell vehicles without dealerships. The notion had never been previously considered and some folks were concerned about unintended consequences, so they changed the bill into an interim study committee - to do their homework on the issue so they avoid unintended consequences.

Would you rather they do it right or fast? Right means learning some things. That's what they will do over the interim.

A proposed law that should never have made it out of committee.

So what?

They still have sales people working there, they just work directly for Tesla, and not for a middle man.

I'm curious what unintended consequences that Lagoda is referring to even means? Does a middle man dealer wave some magic over a car?

Don't try to snow us Lagoda, it's obvious exactly who and what is behind this. And it's very standard practice for the IN legislature, one of the most corrupt and backwards groups ever....see the endless years of bickering over issues like DST and Sunday alcohol sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmac76
So what?

They still have sales people working there, they just work directly for Tesla, and not for a middle man.

I'm curious what unintended consequences that Lagoda is referring to even means? Does a middle man dealer wave some magic over a car?

Don't try to snow us Lagoda, it's obvious exactly who and what is behind this. And it's very standard practice for the IN legislature, one of the most corrupt and backwards groups ever....see the endless years of bickering over issues like DST and Sunday alcohol sales.
I was pointing out a consequence for IU-C.

It actually is not accurate though. There would still be a Tesla dealership that had people working at it...it just would be owned by Tesla instead of a third party. Local jobs wouldn't be lost.
If that's the case than the initial post wasn't written correctly or I totally misunderstood it. I thought the bill was to prevent sales directly from manufacturer to customer. I envisioned this working via an online order. If a person has to go to a dealer than its no different than it is now. I can go to a dealer and order a car at the local Chevy dealer today. So what is the beef if they plan to make Tesla just like every other dealer. Why would they need a law at all?

The bill seeks to prohibit manufacturers from holding a dealer license after December 31, 2017. Tesla currently holds such a license, although it does not contract with a third-party dealer.

Auto dealers and salespeople are licensed occupations

Why do you think it is a good idea for Tesla to avoid the licensing requirements with direct sales?

I really don't know. Maybe the activity of selling cars has gotten to the point where licenses are no longer needed. Licensing is a consumer protection effort. I am interested in your POV about this.

Last edited:
If that's the case than the initial post wasn't written correctly or I totally misunderstood it. I thought the bill was to prevent sales directly from manufacturer to customer. I envisioned this working via an online order. If a person has to go to a dealer than its no different than it is now. I can go to a dealer and order a car at the local Chevy dealer today. So what is the beef if they plan to make Tesla just like every other dealer. Why would they need a law at all?

Most states have laws preventing the car companies from owning dealerships. The existing dealers have always been afraid the car companies would come in and compete with them directly, a competition which the dealers could not win. So dealerships have to be independent. Tesla argues that raises the price of a car 5-10% and is just plain inefficient.

Reactions: hoosboot
Proposal to ban Tesla's direct sales model gets tabled

The Indianapolis Star reported the following,

Buck (Sen. Jim Buck, R-Kokomo, the committee chairman) and the bill's author, Rep. Kevin Mahan, R-Hartford City, agreed to put the issue before a study committee. That means the legislature won't consider a ban on direct auto sales until at least next year.

Most states have laws preventing the car companies from owning dealerships. The existing dealers have always been afraid the car companies would come in and compete with them directly, a competition which the dealers could not win. So dealerships have to be independent. Tesla argues that raises the price of a car 5-10% and is just plain inefficient.
And they are both probably right.

Edit: a number of states are having this exact same fight with alcohol right now. More and more alcohol producers are fighting to be able to sell more easily directly to consumers. Most states currently have a three-tier system: producers-distributors-retailers. Many producers want to bypass the distributors to sell directly to restaurants and grocery stores, or in some cases, directly to individual purchasers.

Reactions: hoosboot
Proposal to ban Tesla's direct sales model gets tabled

The Indianapolis Star reported the following,

Buck (Sen. Jim Buck, R-Kokomo, the committee chairman) and the bill's author, Rep. Kevin Mahan, R-Hartford City, agreed to put the issue before a study committee. That means the legislature won't consider a ban on direct auto sales until at least next year.
Thanks. I told them that, but they probably weren't wiling to be instructed.

Ladoga, most people ignore what you say at this point. You shouldn't be surprised that it took someone more reasonable sharing the same information for anyone to notice.
I lay out legislative facts. I know more about the Indiana General Assembly currently and historically, off the top of my head than the sum total of every liberal who ever posted here. You can use that to insult me if your position as moderator affords you such liberty or you can listen and learn. That is the choice of you and the others on the left.

Reactions: Lucy01
I lay out legislative facts. I know more about the Indiana General Assembly currently and historically, off the top of my head than the sum total of every liberal who ever posted here. You can use that to insult me if your position as moderator affords you such liberty or you can listen and learn. That is the choice of you and the others on the left.
Your facts would be appreciated, but they are ignored because of the other crap they are coated in. If you learned how to shed your posting of the crap, the valuable bits might actually land with the other posters.

Yeah but given your history here we'd need to read it ourselves since you so frequently display comprehension issues or your inability to move outside you comfort zone with the things you read and post about here in responses and such.

Yeah but given your history here we'd need to read it ourselves since you so frequently display comprehension issues or your inability to move outside you comfort zone with the things you read and post about here in responses and such.
Hilarious! :rolleyes:

Reactions: MrBing
Unskewed polls?

Strawman, your whole life depends on you creating strawmen and insulting posters.
Wait, you didn't make wingnut claims that mainstream media outlets were skewing the polls to favor Obama? Because, in fact, you did. Despite all your supposed insidery experience, in practice you post like any other wingnut, without any indication that you know a single thing that couldn't be "learned" by listening to right wing talk radio.

Now here you are trumpeting your supposed constitutional expertise. My advice to you, wingnut, is show, don't tell. Show us you have even a single worthwhile point to make.

So much for free market capitalism.

The legislation favoring dealers is on par with labor union protection, passed about the same time as the nascent state labor laws and essentially for the same reasons . . . why the support for the one and not the other?

You're a strange man, Ladoga.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT