ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming recruits

quad runner

All-Big Ten
Jul 13, 2002
we still need 2 to leave. We all know this. My question is. Should CAM have let AD and CM out of their commoitments and just focused on keeping Smith? Seems like there was a lot of talk about Crean reaching on Durham and Moore. Now everyone is excited about all 3 coming? They may or may not be good players, but given our situation and the fact CTC offered everyone he met, would just lkeeping Smith been the best road?

we still need 2 to leave. We all know this. My question is. Should CAM have let AD and CM out of their commoitments and just focused on keeping Smith? Seems like there was a lot of talk about Crean reaching on Durham and Moore. Now everyone is excited about all 3 coming? They may or may not be good players, but given our situation and the fact CTC offered everyone he met, would just lkeeping Smith been the best road?
Well, I don't know if keeping AD and CM was the best way to go, but I believe that their ultimate contributions as coached by CAM will be tenfold from what would have occurred under CTC. It is always important to get the best talent you can, but also crucial to get the most out of whatever talent you have. I believe that CAM will be that kind of coach.

They're all sticking to their commitments and will be here next fall. Try and keep up.

The issue had hey come in under Crean would have been how they developed.

Crean has this "rep" for being great at player development, but the only two guys I can think of who "developed" are OG and Vic - and both of them didn't develop as much as their athletic ability made them look good in Crean's system.Fundamentally, I'd argue they didn't play near to what they could have.

Think of Kawhi Leonard. Everybody makes a big deal out of the Pacers not keeping him, but do you really think he'd have developed into the player he is in Indiana? I don't. Pop had a LOT to do with how good he is.

Clifton Moore has already been bumped up to a four star and had at least 25 schools interested in recruiting him when he said he was looking around. So I will trust Archie.

6'10" guys with guard skills are nice to have around.

I am guessing Archie has a grasp of what the roster will look like. Kids have either told him they are going pro regardless or someone has told them they are transferring.

Crean has this "rep" for being great at player development, but the only two guys I can think of who "developed" are OG and Vic - and both of them didn't develop as much as their athletic ability made them look good in Crean's system.
I'd actually narrow that down to just Vic. I was at the Halloween open scrimmage two years ago and knew then and there that OG was something special and that we'd gotten a steal.

Reactions: Zeke7
I'd actually narrow that down to just Vic. I was at the Halloween open scrimmage two years ago and knew then and there that OG was something special and that we'd gotten a steal.

I don't see how you don't think Yogi developed. He came in with a great rep, but I didn't want him shooting as a freshman, whereas if it was a good shot, he was money as a junior and senior. I thought he came a long way and in the areas he didn't (decision making, pace and D) I felt like his coach just really wasn't emphasizing those things and was instructing him to "play fast". Whether it was CTC or Yogi's work ethic, I thought he improved a lot and never got the credit as an all-time IU great. Honestly, Isiah is the only guy I'd rank clearly above him. I get the leadership of Buckner, but Yogi was great and I think had much more to give. He and Troy should have been holy terrors on D.

I don't see how you don't think Yogi developed...
Whether it was CTC or Yogi's work ethic, I thought he improved a lot and never got the credit as an all-time IU great.
It's a semantic thing. If someone claims a coach "developed" a player, to me that implies the player became much better than expected due to coaching. Of course Yogi improved, but as you said it probably had little to do with Crean. My point about OG was that he was surprisingly good from the very beginning; that Crean didn't develop him. I'm actually reluctant to give Crean much credit for Vic's development; I think Vic did that on his own. Crean may have created the environment needed for Vic to do it, but I don't think I'd go much further than that.

I might have seen that as a problem, however, regardless we know this is the last year for RJ, JBJ, CH, TP and probably TB. Whether CuJo or Gelon leave this year or TB and JBJ leave there is still room for at least 3 recruits next year if not more. I think that gives CAM enough new recruits to move forward with.

It's a semantic thing. If someone claims a coach "developed" a player, to me that implies the player became much better than expected due to coaching. Of course Yogi improved, but as you said it probably had little to do with Crean. My point about OG was that he was surprisingly good from the very beginning; that Crean didn't develop him. I'm actually reluctant to give Crean much credit for Vic's development; I think Vic did that on his own. Crean may have created the environment needed for Vic to do it, but I don't think I'd go much further than that.

I think mostly Crean, encourages guys to just spend a ton of time in the gym, but maybe isn't that effective at instructing them. The ones who have had good coaching, take in what he is teaching but also have an interest and research stuff, AND put the time in to CTC's satisfaction probably improved. The ones who couldn't be that self-directed or didn't put in an obscene amount of time I think did not. But, Yogi to me definitely improved noticeably, especially in shooting, and if I criticize Crean, and I have, I've got to give him some of the credit for that too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT